• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

This Helmet is ugly... :(

217403_capture.jpg

Eurgh. Everything about that armour looks ugly. So damn goofy.

I can sympathize, at a glance it was hard to tell the difference between a Knight I could CQC with and a Knight that could two-shot me. Then again, I might just be shit at Halo. 50/50.

Ahhh I thought he meant the dogs and shit. Yeah, agreed on the differences between Knights, they were too subtle a lot of the time.

malfcn

This game be looking mighty pretty. Next week should be massive. Please unveil the ce and le contents.

Having to be at work is going to be agonizing.

Eurgh. Everything about that armour looks ugly. So damn goofy.

I think the big problem I'm having is all that exposed neck. I dunno why it puts me off so much, but it does. There were even a few chest pieces in Halo 4 that left a ton of neck exposed and it was weird for me then too.

I think the big problem I'm having is all that exposed neck. I dunno why it puts me off so much, but it does. There were even a few chest pieces in Halo 4 that left a ton of neck exposed and it was weird for me then too.

The whole thing is just oddly proportioned. The hips, the biceps, the neck. Looks like armor a skinny nerd would wear to a cosplay event. Liking the look of most other armor types so far though.

Compared to the greater design of Bungie's Halo games, I'm somewhat put off by 343's artistic direction for the Halo series. They've taken a very washed out, metallic approach to both the natural and artificial environments and it just doesn't seem authentic to me, whereas passed games were dealing with a lot more multi-surfaced textures such as organic spaces and weathered ruins. There were indeed some colorful spaces in the Campaign, and Spartan Ops had some beautiful levels (Refuge and Cauldron), but where I think their design really shined was in their Forerunner stuff, particularly the "redrunner" theme of the Promethean architecture.

CsYGl.jpg

Midnight_screen.png

I've lost count of how many times I've replayed this mission and marveled and the architecture.

If artistic license is the only thing I'm going to have to have a problem with (though it obviously wont be), then I'll be relieved. Overall, this game is sounding more interesting each day and I'm looking forward to seeing the changes they've made since the beta in action.

levyjl1988

Banned
I used to play Halo 3, 4, ODST, Reach religiously for its multiplayer with friends now...
it seems we moved on to Destiny because of its RPG mechanics and those raids.

Though I look forward to playing Halo 5's campaign, not so much for multiplayer. There's already crucible for Destiny and my armor in Destiny look already bad ass. The characters in Destiny are my own and feel attached to them as they improve light level and get better gear.

Still curious how Chiefs story will be resolved. I just hope there's friends to play with for Halo 5 but Destiny seems too addicting.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks fantastic... but its odd that the environments they are showing, both the human space station (?) and the canyons, are so similar to environments in halo 4. certainly isnt helping with the (jump to) conclusions some people are making concerning the improvement, or lack there of, of the graphics tech.

I used to play Halo 3, 4, ODST, Reach religiously for its multiplayer with friends now...
it seems we moved on to Destiny because of its RPG mechanics and those raids.

Though I look forward to playing Halo 5's campaign, not so much for multiplayer. There's already crucible for Destiny and my armor in Destiny look already bad ass. The characters in Destiny are my own and feel attached to them as they improve light level and get better gear.

Still curious how Chiefs story will be resolved. I just hope there's friends to play with for Halo 5 but Destiny seems too addicting.

Depends what you want, really. 'Investment' is always going to be stronger in an RPG, but give me Arena over the Crucible any day.

Compared to the greater design of Bungie's Halo games, I'm somewhat put off by 343's artistic direction for the Halo series. They've taken a very dull, metallic approach to both the natural and artificial environments and it just doesn't seem authentic to me, whereas passed games were dealing with a lot more multi-surfaced textures such as organic spaces and weathered ruins. I was however fond of their Forerunner stuff, particularly the "redrunner" theme of the Promethean architecture. Their design really shines in these spaces.

I agree, I'll take more Tron in my Halo any day of the week. Everything Forerunner in Halo 4 looked sweet, including the weapons. Let's hope they actually have more use in multiplayer this time around (light rifle is a huge improvement so it's looking good thus far). Can't wait to see some of the strange smart scopes they add to them.

scently

looks fantastic... but its odd that the environments they are showing, both the human space station (?) and the canyons, are so similar to environments in halo 4. certainly isnt helping with the (jump to) conclusions some people are making concerning the improvement, or lack there of, of the graphics tech.

I think they are saving it for E3.

What do you guys think of friendly fire being included in multiplayer? It's definitely a trade-off, but I think it's better off if it's in. Grenade spam in Halo is a real thing (and will be an even bigger thing if they leave the grenade hit markers in), and friendly fire is one thing that's pretty good at reducing it.

tootsi666

What do you guys think of friendly fire being included in multiplayer? It's definitely a trade-off, but I think it's better off if it's in. Grenade spam in Halo is a real thing (and will be an even bigger thing if they leave the grenade hit markers in), and friendly fire is one thing that's pretty good at reducing it.
FF is important for competitive gamemodes. It should be disabled for casual playlists though

blakep267

I don't mind as long as they don't have that stupid betrayal/ boot option after 1 kill.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
god damn at the size of a guardian. hopefully we get some shadow of the colossus style battles with the MC

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hoping the scale is going to be much larger than Halo 4.

Right now, as I anticipated, the graphics aren't impressing.

Looks like too similar to Halo 4. It looks much better don't get me wrong. But I guess I was expecting PBR to improve the armor, weapons, and metal structures more.

From these screens they just look like higher res Halo 4 stuff with the same general lighting.

Funny you say that. They said the same thing on Podcast Unlocked and lo and behold the design lead (I think) on Republic Commando is at 343.

They say that in the article too, and I personally think Halo could benefit from a little Republic Commando. Spice shit up a bit.

Is this all starting to remind anyone of Republic Commando a little? Or am I just late to the party on this?

As soon as they mentioned the squad with available commands, that's exactly what I thought. Seriously, I've wanted a Spartan squad game like that for a loooong time, but I always assumed I'd only ever see it in a spin off or something.

jem0208

Hoping the scale is going to be much larger than Halo 4.

Right now, as I anticipated, the graphics aren't impressing.

Looks like too similar to Halo 4. It looks much better don't get me wrong. But I guess I was expecting PBR to improve the armor, weapons, and metal structures more.

From these screens they just look like higher res Halo 4 stuff with the same general lighting.

Doesn't look all that much better than Halo 4.
You people really are overstating how good Halo 4 looked. I mean it looked pretty good but this is far better.

As soon as they mentioned the squad with available commands, that's exactly what I thought. Seriously, I've wanted a Spartan squad game like that for a loooong time, but I always assumed I'd only ever see it in a spin off or something.

So help me god if
someone on Blue or Osiris team(s) stays behind and goes MIA
I'll lose my shit.

Top Bottom