• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

Toski

BGshpo2.png

Comparison

Is that a War Sphinx next to that Knight? Thankfully 343 is fleshing out the Prometheans because they were lacking in H4.

KORNdoggy

H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Command-Element.jpg

H5-Guardians-Locke-Hero-Huntsman.jpg

Actually it does. Especially when you see it at 60fps. So many of you are gonna eat crow when Halo 5 launches and it's definitely a 'looker'.

why are you using bullshots to say the game looks better than halo 4? have we got any direct feed shots of the game, at actual res, with actual AA?

Yes it doesn't have as big of a leap in graphics as we have come to expect from generational transitions such as Halo 2-Halo 3.
But is is also the first Halo to be 60fps...

What I am saying is that you can't have your cake and eat it too....

I personally think they are doing a great job considering that they don't have a lot of Horsepower to work with...especially if H5 does end up having much more open large scale combat like we have been hearing.

i though it was kinda obvious which hand he was talking about given the one holding the grip doesn't look remotely awkward. wheras the one holding the...erm...foregrip?!? looks broken at the wrist. lol

The way the right hand bends always looks awkward to me. Again, I assume that's the actual proper way to hold a gun like that in the resting position, but it looks weird to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prine

Banned
why are you using bullshots to say the game looks better than halo 4? have we got any direct feed shots of the game, at actual res, with actual AA?

We can compare them to H4 bullshots, and its clear it looks much improved. But seeing all this in 60fps with the huge scale battles is going to be a sight - cannot wait!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Fuck I just watched ready up live videos. omg I shouldn't have. But I just couldn't stop once it started. I hope they have a different demo at E3 now lol. This guy described everything in detail wtf. If you dont want to get spoiled, then dont watch it.

Akai__

Fuck I just watched ready up live videos. omg I shouldn't have. But I just couldn't stop once it started. I hope they have a different demo at E3 now lol. This guy described everything in detail wtf. If you dont want to get spoiled, then dont watch it.

Frankie said it will be brand new material on E3. Won't be the same stuff, that GI or these guys got.

Now that you mention it, it probably is. I didn't think Didact was that much larger than Chief.

I didn't either, until somebody mentioned it to me. It's difficult to tell in Halo 4.

-Ryn

Banned
Yes it doesn't have as big of a leap in graphics as we have come to expect from generational transitions such as Halo 2-Halo 3.

I personally think they are doing a great job considering that they don't have a lot of Horsepower to work with...especially if H5 does end up having much more open large scale combat like we have been hearing.
The reason the game doesn't look significantly different is probably because the art style is mostly the same. However there a LOT of improvements to the game from Halo 4 such as the lighting, character models, and the AA. Combine that with 60 FPS and Halo 5 is looking gorgeous.

i don't like the new art direction of 343, everything looks so dark and stupid. prefer the classic halo look of h3, bright and colourful. also the new enemy designs are uninspired

Actually it does. Especially when you see it at 60fps. So many of you are gonna eat crow when Halo 5 launches and it's definitely a 'looker'.

If they keep that low resolution from the beta with awful Aliasing.. it wont be a looker.

I hope they have some neat Motion Blur again. 60fps with a tiny bit motion blur looks amazing to me. BF4 does it

Is that a War Sphinx next to that Knight? Thankfully 343 is fleshing out the Prometheans because they were lacking in H4.

Master Chief--->Crawler--->Watcher--->???(dunno, maybe Flood?)--->Knight Battlewagon--- >Didact with armor--->Guardian Sentinel?

Glass

If people think there isn't such a big leap in visuals, Id take that as a testament to how ridiculously good Halo 4 looked on the 360, rather then anything about 5.

These shots moving at 60fps are going to be a treat.

If people think there isn't such a big leap in visuals, Id take that as a testament to how ridiculously good Halo 4 looked on the 360, rather then anything about 5.

These shots moving at 60fps are going to be a treat.

So, realtalk for a minute: why is everyone so wrapped up with how it looks?

Pretty much every criticism I've seen is either about the visuals, or MCC. What's the beef GAF?

Toski

The Didact is 11'4. Chief is 7'2. There is a shot in Halo 4 where he looks a lot bigger than the Chief, but in some other shots not so much.

According to that scale picture, the Didact seems to be over twice the size of Chief. Stinkles already retconning ;)

Madness

Why are people using magazine scans to say the game barely looks better than Halo 4 then? Even if it's a bullshot, anyone with eyes can see the superiority of the image over what Halo 4 bullshots were.

Xbox one may be weaker than PS4, but these consoles are a metric fuckton better than what the Xbox 360 was. They should easily be able to smash what they achieved with Halo 4. I can't wait.

Akai__

Pretty much every criticism I've seen is either about the visuals, or MCC. What's the beef GAF?

People like nice looking things, but for me it really comes down to the actual gameplay and the story. Halo 4 felt like it suffered from the graphics, as the gameplay wasn't really that good, in my eyes. Story was a little confusing, but still okay'ish.

Really excited to see actual gameplay.

Majanew

Banned

Pretty much every criticism I see is either about the visuals, or MCC. What's the beef GAF?

Because it's a video game and the first thing you see is the visuals. This is a new generation of hardware, so many expect a jump in visuals. Halo 5 at 60fps and >720p is going to eat into some of XB1's extra power over 360, but there's still room for improvement. I won't know if that means more shit happening on screen until I see some gameplay. Going by these screens, they look very much like they're from Halo 4. Sure, I can see some improvements in these screens, but it's very small and there's still some low res textures on some parts of the armor.

Who knows, so far I think it looks good. I am not gonna judge it by screenshots alone, plus the game is also going to be 60fps, you're gonna take a hit somewhere.

Madness

I bet the folks at 343 are thinking, why did we make Halo 4 look so good. I still say you guys are going to have your jaws drop when we finally see in motion gameplay in a few days. It's literally Halo 3 all over again. Everyone saying it's not 720p HD, it looks just like Halo 2, I'm disappointed it doesn't look better etc.

The gameplay details sound exciting but this Bullshot screenshots are not a real indication.

The Beta screenshots looked this clean too, but we know how it turned out.

If it only looks a tiny bit better ok. But show me why. And reading the details, it was worth it. Really want to see that massive scale battles.

ANd i dont get the Halo 4 graphics praise. Yes it looks good. But the levels are very small. When you got into Campaign theater you would see how small. And dont get me started on this jpg skyboxes. And the AI was very dumb too.

Monday should be good.

Prine

Banned
I remember the brutes being and remaining shit to play against in H3/ODST but were tolerable in Reach. I feel the same about the Didact, i really dont enjoy shooting them, i hate everything about them, even the weapons. Bit upset theyr're sticking with them tbh.

But its not like Bungie or 343i listen to the fans when it comes to enemies. Forced the Flood on us, the Brutes now Didact.

Outrun

Because it's a video game and the first thing you see is the visuals. This is a new generation of hardware, so many expect a jump in visuals. Halo 5 at 60fps and >720p is going to eat into some of XB1's extra power over 360, but there's still room for improvement. I won't know if that means more shit happening on screen until I see some gameplay. Going by these screens, they look very much like they're from Halo 4. Sure, I can see some improvements in these screens, but it's very small and there's still some low res textures on some parts of the armor.

Huh huh, and it is NOT a movie, so as soon as the cutscene ends, framerate, controls, IQ, and gameplay will soon join graphics as being important.

When did us gamers become such graphics whores?

Toski

I remember the brutes being and remaining shit to play against in H3/ODST but were tolerable in Reach. I feel the same about the Didact, i really dont enjoy shooting them, i hate everything about them, even the weapons. Bit upset theyr're sticking with them tbh.

But its not like Bungie or 343i listen to the fans when it comes to enemies. Forced the Flood on us, the Brutes now Didact.

I'm tired of shooting Covenant in Halo. As someone who never hated the Flood, I would've rather had them in Halo 4 over the Prometheans.

Huh huh, and it is NOT a movie, so as soon as the cutscene ends, framerate, controls, IQ, and gameplay will soon join graphics as being important.

Why upgrade to new Hardware it better graphics is not needed?

Outrun

I bet the folks at 343 are thinking, why did we make Halo 4 look so good. I still say you guys are going to have your jaws drop when we finally see in motion gameplay in a few days. It's literally Halo 3 all over again. Everyone saying it's not 720p HD, it looks just like Halo 2, I'm disappointed it doesn't look better etc.

Yep, unfortunately people are drawing concrete conclusions from approx. 10 pictures....

H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Command-Element.jpg

H5-Guardians-Locke-Hero-Huntsman.jpg

Bullshot IQ aside I'm going to go ahead and say overall it looks a hell of a lot like Halo 4, but it sets itself apart from that game with a lot more detail. I think the biggest thing making it look so much like Halo 4 is the lighting and materials.

Outrun

Why upgrade to new Hardware it better graphics is not needed?

I did not say it was not needed. And from what I see Halo 5 is a significant upgrade over Halo 4. However, I am more excited for the squad mechanics, the larger play space, and the greater narrative push.

I guess we will see on Monday if the graphics of Halo 5 are marginally better than 4's.

nib95

Banned

You do realise that is one of the main reasons people even buy new consoles or graphics cards right?

Personally I think it'll look good, in some instances very good, but won't end up being a graphics champion or showcase piece the way Halo (4) was on the 360. The latter will likely fall to games like Gears of War and Quantum Break. Such is the sacrifice of 60fps, which even now I wish they hadn't targeted.

Top Bottom