• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 multiplayer video from PAX 2015.

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now in Halo 5. No matter what skill level, one thing Halo has been known for is its variety of playlists, which many are casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. 343 as a studio should have sought to improve Halo in being Halo, and not change it like they have.

And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings. His role should have been to ensure the essence of Halo as being part of upper management.

This is post is so wrong it's staggering. Ground Pound is like COD? Sprinting doesn't punish you?

Lol opinions like these are what are holding the Halo community back.

VinFTW

You know what this game needs? More futuristic industrial map designs.

I agree they're showing too many human maps.

I want to see more of Truth, Regret or other similar aesthetics.

I'm hoping there's some snow maps and even some maps in that desert/temple like aesthetic they showed in the ViDoc.

I'm hoping there's some snow maps and even some maps in that desert/temple like aesthetic they show in the ViDoc.

Agreed. We need a good balance of human and alien environments. I get the feeling that a lot of being held back though and I can appreciate that new game feel. At the same time, I'm hoping the launch trailer gives us a good run down of variety.

I'm hoping there's some snow maps and even some maps in that desert/temple like aesthetic they showed in the ViDoc.

There's that one Warzone map.

latest

But fear not, it's also a human industrial complex!

shoreu

He was once quoted saying that the BR should win in every circumstance over the AR/SMG

Yeah well he's just wrong then if that's how he feels. If I've caught you point blank with the smg or AR you need to distance yourself or die. You need to think about the weapons you have out when your going to engage someone, and how the fight will play out. I love these people who want halo 2s map control, but don't know how to force singular engagements to play out in their favor.

SMG still has too much range, brahs. Stinkles, get mad at someone. Other than that, looks amazing.

SMG needs nerfing. Far too much range. Needs to be OP in close, not that far.

I think that all weapons should give you a fair chance to hold your own (and then have optimal ranges etc) but damn... What I just saw there were some Gears of War Gnasher-distance shenanigans. I know that the SMG is a starting weapon for Vale players but hopefully it's distance is nerfed to balance its bullet hose lethality

Still sounds like I'm shooting and hitting glass. I think a classic SFX soundpack DLC would be a good idea, I'd pay money to get some of my weapons/health/hitsounds sounding like 1/2/3/4/Reach again.

SMG needs nerfing. Far too much range. Needs to be OP in close, not that far.

Nah, it has low bullet damage. I prefer that weapons be balanced by bullet damage and rate of fire instead of by artificial ranges.

Fact is, IRL a bullet from an Uzi will kill just the same as one from a sniper rifle at the ranges depicted in the game.

It's more important to just have any weapon and to know how to use it. Leave it to the player skill. I would not artificially nerf the weapons.

jem0208

I think that all weapons should give you a fair chance to hold your own (and then have optimal ranges etc) but damn... What I just saw there were some Gears of War Gnasher-distance shenanigans. I know that the SMG is a starting weapon for Vale players but hopefully it's distance is nerfed to balance its bullet hose lethality
It's only a starting weapon in the campaign.

You can't play as Vale in the multiplayer.

Nah, it has low bullet damage. I prefer that weapons be balanced by bullet damage and rate of fire instead of by artificial ranges.

Fact is, IRL a bullet from an Uzi will kill just the same as one from a sniper rifle at the ranges depicted in the game.

It's more important to just have any weapon and to know how to use it. Leave it to the player skill. I would not artificially nerf the weapons.

In real life a shotgun has a range of over 100 feet, but in Halo it's always been near point blank, so I'm not seeing logic to your premise. I wouldn't mind if they gave the SMG a ton of recoil that made it really hard to aim at a range, but the gameplay I linked shows it tear down a shield and kill a dude from over 100 feet as fast as a BR would, maybe even faster. It needs to be nerfed.

I really hope one of the Warzone maps is set inside one of those huge Covenant cruisers, the ones with whole cities in them. It would be an amazing map to design.

Still sounds like I'm shooting and hitting glass. I think a classic SFX soundpack DLC would be a good idea, I'd pay money to get some of my weapons/health/hitsounds sounding like 1/2/3/4/Reach again.

I'm vomiting right now. It's about time these sounds changed a little or completely. It's one thing being recognisable, but so many of the old sounds feel so dated.

If the game only looked different and sounded the same, it would blur the whole experience and you wouldn't notice the difference in anything as with such a big part being the same, you see the same.

Sai

This is post is so wrong it's staggering. Ground Pound is like COD? Sprinting doesn't punish you?

Lol opinions like these are what are holding the Halo community back.
He's thinking in terms of Advanced Warfare. I had similar reservations about Ground Pound at first, but after playing the beta, its presence feels of no more consequence than the Assassinations introduced in Reach were; it's just a crowd-pleaser, something to further substantiate the impression of Spartans being super soldiers. It takes away nothing from the core values of Halo's gameplay, and I think everybody that's played the beta has long since realized that.

That third guy was pretty hurt, an AR/BR would have won at that range at an even start.

Plus you need to Smart link + burst to even be a threat at that case

Hm, you're right, his shields looked like they were just recharging. So that is a bad example, thanks for pointing that out. After the shield is lost it still just takes a quick swipe to finish him off though, I still think that's a bad sign.

Glass

You know what this game needs? More futuristic industrial map designs.

There's variation when you look outside of the maps, the city scape, or the whales under water, but inside where the gameplay happens, the assets look practically the same to me without having played non beta maps. And the lighting is also really dark. Looking forward to seeing something completely different.

shoreu

There's variation when you look outside of the maps, the city scape, or the whales under water, but inside where the gameplay happens, the assets look practically the same to me without having played non beta maps. And the lighting is also really dark. Looking forward to seeing something completely different.

Yeah, especially since beta maps were remixes of each other they were supposed to look the same.

Trup1aya

Um, there's a much wider window of opportunity for Clamber than there are for crouch jumps. I wouldn't call them interchangeable.

I'm not saying they are interchangeable... I'm saying that if an area of the map is designed to be only accessible through skilled use of a particular Spartan Ability, then the actual animation is irrelevant, it still requires skill.

Clamber doesn't replace crouch jumping... for example, on truth, you can reach the top level of either base from the ground floor by crouch jumping, but not with clamber... You can reach top mid from base with a well timed Sprint + Thrust, and you'll reach the sword before someone who is less skilled and has to Clamber to avoid falling...

I guess the point I'm trying to make is Spartan Abilities don't eliminate skill jumps, they just add variety to the actions needed to pull them off...

He's thinking in terms of Advanced Warfare. I had similar reservations about Ground Pound at first, but after playing the beta, its presence feels of no more consequence than the Assassinations introduced in Reach were; it's just a crowd-pleaser, something to further substantiate the impression of Spartans being super soldiers. It takes away nothing from the core values of Halo's gameplay, and I think everybody that's played the beta has long since realized that.

Yup, the ground pound will be a neat little featute to use in campaign and maybe some warzone/btb but I won't be caught dead using that in team deathmatch.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The SMG looks SO FUN to use... But yeah, that range is making me concerned about it being in PvP.

I really hope one of the Warzone maps is set inside one of those huge Covenant cruisers, the ones with whole cities in them. It would be an amazing map to design.

I'm vomiting right now. It's about time these sounds changed a little or completely. It's one thing being recognisable, but so many of the old sounds feel so dated.

If the game only looked different and sounded the same, it would blur the whole experience and you wouldn't notice the difference in anything as with such a big part being the same, you see the same.

I agree. The sounds were the first thing that stood out as a great change. They are sounding like guns now. Pretty awesome

The SMG looks SO FUN to use... But yeah, that range is making me concerned about it being in PvP.

I didn't think the range was bad in the Beta. All weapons felt very well balanced during the Beta in my opinion. If anything needed a slight nerf it was the AR.

But no one will tell her that to her face...

i know what i'm doing first on the blue team mission.

I wonder if your allies will still murder you in this game if you betray them twice. Silent Cartographer anyone?

Actually, it was better on Shutdown in Halo 4 where you'd betray two guys and then hold up in one of the rooms with all the power weapons. They just kept coming and I just kept shooting.

blamite

Damn it's looking good. Love that they toned down Steitzer, he was over the top in the beta.

One thing I will say is the killfeed is a little tough to read. Other than that though, everything is looking improved and refined since the beta.

Service tags are too small as well. Seems like the in-game text isn't (at whatever stage of development that video is from) designed with mid-size TVs viewed from 5-6 feet away in mind.

Welfare

Is it still a thing where you can't move while looking at the scoreboard? Annoying in Halo 4 and Halo 2A.

Top Bottom