• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 multiplayer video from PAX 2015.

daedalius

I'm really excited for prospects like this, I never like getting in vehicles, but I do love destroying them on foot, this will just add to my tool set. Speaking of destroying vehicles, the Mantis still needs tweaking in Halo 5, that thing ruined map flow, the inability to hijack it from the front made things worse. Map flow isn't a concern in Warzone where the lanes are large, but it could ruin BTB maps when those are released.

Mantis looks stronger than before. Much quicker and always shoots a barrage of rockets, although longer load times in between each shot I suppose. Probably won't show up till late game in Warzone tho, so the tools will likely be there to take care of it.

btags

It's like a team oreinted assasination (from my perspective) there's a risk, but you can do some splash damage that can help your team if they're paying attention. It's also a lot like a special in a fighting game. If you screw it up, you're a doofus. If you pull it off, you're a hero. And the game is balanced to accentuate both.

Interesting. In my mind I always did see it as something "punishable" if someone whiffed on it.

Mantis looks stronger than before. Much quicker and always shoots a barrage of rockets, although longer load times in between each shot I suppose. Probably won't show up till late game in Warzone tho, so the tools will likely be there to take care of it.

yeah that's what has me worried, they made it better when it already had too much health and was difficult to take out, Warzone I'm not very worried, BTB could be bad.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Advanced Warfare. A lot of elements from AW have made their way to Halo. Clamber, thrusters, ground pount, sprint, etc.

I mean, sprint was in Reach. And clamber and thrusters are vastly used differently, not to mention a game coming out a year before another cant have a real influence on mechanics, there just isnt enough time. Your points fall flat here.

Madness

Interesting. In my mind I always did see it as something "punishable" if someone whiffed on it.

Basically sitting duck if you miss. Though I wonder if it won't be used more for map traversal in terms of verticality if no one around. Just ground pound down quickly.

I mean, sprint was in Reach. And clamber and thrusters are vastly used differently, not to mention a game coming out a year before another cant have a real influence on mechanics, there just isnt enough time. Your points fall flat here.

Not even a year before. The beta was released less than a month after AW with the things he mentioned already implemented.

Tal

A lot of shootees seemingly independently moved towards increased mobility. I think it's one of those things where they all had some common inspiration that won't be made clear until years after the fact.

m23

A lot of shootees seemingly independently moved towards increased mobility. I think it's one of those things where they all had some common inspiration that won't be made clear until years after the fact.

Titanfall may have had something to do with it, maybe not. That game had some amazing mobility.

shoreu

Titanfall may have had something to do with it, maybe not. That game had some amazing mobility.

I feel like Black Ops 3 completely robbed the play style of Titan fall. The movements look almost identical.

I kinda always felt that way about treyarch taking things from infinity ward.

Sai

You cannot seriously be arguing that shitty weapon balance is what makes Halo, Halo.

Why am I engaging with you.
For further perspective: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144285718#post144285718

It's still all rather ridiculous to me. Seems to come down to not changing the status quo, more than anything else. Balancing through the "maps and playlists" will still lead to folks dropping the AR for a BR or DMR at every opportunity; that's not how it should work.

Kssio_Aug

As someone who played Halo for the 1st time with Master Chief Collection, I have the feeling that Halo 4 and 5 are not the same Halo as Bungie's Halo but still carries a lot of the old values, implementing new ones.

Also, sometimes I think 343 developers may hate the constant comparison with Bungie, even though its inevitable. Specially because Bungie today is not even the same as before and 343i is not worse them they are (I enjoyed Halo 4 and Halo 5 Beta way more than what I've played of Destiny; actually I enjoyed Halo 4 even more than Halo 1-3).

They deserve recognition for that they're doing, even giving the fact that the reason for some skepticism against them exist because MCC prolonged issues.

Trup1aya

Loving the mobility that I'm seeing from these videos. Is it possible to slide, though? Like in Destiny?

Yup, I didn't see it used much in the beta, but apparently some maps have routes that must be slid into...

I'm liking how Spartan Abilities are playing into what's was traditionally skill jumps..

I also saw a video where a shot gunner used it to close ground on someone using a BR... It was pretty cool.

Sai

I hope there will still be a place for crouch jumps though. While we'll be able to toggle Spartan Abilities for custom multiplayer matches, it's still going to be weird if we're playing on maps that are designed around them. Would be ideal if some routes could be easily closed off or made more viable for traditional skill jumps via Forge.

huzzah 4 options

E92 M3

The MP looks fun, but I really want to see maps that don't look sterile and made of cubes of everywhere. Halo maps always had some kind of personality. Give me more maps set in a natural landscape with weather elements.

Game is looking solid. Damn, I may need to buy an Xbox... in my heart I want to imagine myself getting addicted to Halo again

Trup1aya

An actually decent player playing on Fathom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6O0GQOoTjQ

This game is gonna be fucking awesome.

Great video!!! Man I haven't been this excited for a Halo game since Halo 2...

I love 343i's direction with this game... It's just the right amount of old Halo mixed with just the right amount of new... The beta felt so good to play, and they've addressed the balancing issues since then... I can't wait...

The MP looks fun, but I really want to see maps that don't look sterile and made of cubes of everywhere. Halo maps always had some kind of personality. Give me more maps set in a natural landscape with weather elements.

God yes. One thing I really want to say is damn weather on maps. Only games that I can recall having them are Naughty Dog MP games and Battlefield. Has Halo ever even had a night map?

God yes. One thing I really want to say is damn weather on maps. Only games that I can recall having them are Naughty Dog MP games and Battlefield. Has Halo ever even had a night map?

Lockout remake

blackout3.jpg

Trup1aya

I hope there will still be a place for crouch jumps though. While we'll be able to toggle Spartan Abilities for custom multiplayer matches, it's still going to be weird if we're playing on maps that are designed around them. Would be ideal if some routes could be easily closed off or made more viable for traditional skill jumps via Forge.

huzzah 4 options

Crouch jumps are still in... I don't see the need to denigrate Spartan Ability jumps... What's the difference between an area designed for a well time crouch jump and an area designed for a well timed thruster?

Timing is still key...your just pressing a different button...

Sai

Um, there's a much wider window of opportunity for Clamber than there are for crouch jumps. I wouldn't call them interchangeable.

Trup1aya

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now in Halo 5. No matter what skill level, one thing Halo has been known for is its variety of playlists, which many are casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. 343 as a studio should have sought to improve Halo in being Halo, and not change it like they have.

And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings. His role should have been to ensure the essence of Halo as being part of upper management.

Man... What are you on about?

You think poor weapons balance is what makes Halo, Halo? You think people ignoring the majority of the arsenal is what made halo special?

Bungie had be trying to make each weapon balanced useful since the beginning... How many revisions as the pistol gone through? The shot gun? And now that they've apparently managed some level of success with it, you claim they are just trying to be COD...

Haters gon' hate I guess... But watching these multiplayer vids, I don't see how anyone can claim this game plays anything like COD...

Yes, the certain weapons are more lethal, SMG and AR in particular... But that's because they were trash before...

But they are balanced in typical Halo fashion:

the SMG was changed from a starting weapon to a pick up, meaning players will have to control it on the map if they want to use it...

The AR is now a decent starting weapon (finally), which makes for a more enjoyable experience for respawning players, but it isn't strong enough to eliminate the advantage that opponents earned by staying alive and securing better weapons... Also, it's inferior to the pistol in the hands of skilled players...

Sai

Have we seen any at all yet? Link?
The small snippet of Fireteam Osiris on the Elite's homeworld from E3, and there's some B-Roll footage of Blue Team that was released during Gamescom as well.

We're probably not going to see much more of that before the game's release.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now in Halo 5. No matter what skill level, one thing Halo has been known for is its variety of playlists, which many are casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. 343 as a studio should have sought to improve Halo in being Halo, and not change it like they have.

And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings. His role should have been to ensure the essence of Halo as being part of upper management.

This post really needs dramatic music.

Monocle

Ironsights are still lame. I hate how they look, I hate how the gun blocks the screen. Bring back the old scopes.

The countdown bar for your shield recharge is a nice addition I didn't notice before. Real nice.

The SMG looks like it's not garbage, so that's cool.

I'm ambivalent about powerups not activating instantly. I know this is old news, but still.

shoreu

Are you for br/dmr/carbine dominance again?

Top Bottom