• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 multiplayer video from PAX 2015.

Hubble

If you're talking about the delay when trying to scope, I think they fixed that

Everything. That. The weight. The FOV. It is embarrassing that upper management at 343 who green-lighted that design. Clearly that person/persons are not familiar with Halo. It is arguably the most recognizable Halo weapon and certainly marquee to the series. Like seriously?

etta

my hard graphic balls
It was officially released in a presentation by 343 and Josh Holmes, who seems ridiculously out of touch with the Halo community and is so intent on changing Halo. Yes, this is not kidding. It is amazing they released such an image. The presentation confirmed the Halo community's suspicion of catering Halo to quick TTK COD-like easier gameplay (Note I am not saying it is COD, but definitely going in that direction). An example of Master Chief in a wheel chair policy, is the nerfing of skill jumps with clamber or the announcing of power weapons to make it easier for the gamer. My avatar is the official policy-line they took Halo in as described and made by 343.
I found this:
h2MTcl9.png

I understand where you're coming from; however things were going to change regardless. Call of Duty, for example, has changed drastically since Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I think that the people at 343i wanted to change things for the better, their intentions at heart were good. I personally wasn't very fond of how Halo 3 MP played, but I loved the SP. I almost immediately liked Halo 5 MP, though. I don't think it has a quick TTK at all, it's similar to CS GO from what I remember of the beta. The only difference is that the shield always wears out first before HP starts to in Halo, while in CS GO has an element of randomness.
I understand how you feel, though. I feel the same for Call of Duty, I just want MW1 and MW2 again. While I liked BO3, I would still prefer MW1/2 over it, very much so. Can't say that for Halo 3 v. Halo 5, though.

By the way, that master chief in a wheelchair image was such a horrible, horrible idea. Who okayed that thing? :p

I say this as someone who believes Halo 4 to be the best god damn game in the entire series without a doubt.

Outrun

Didn't 343i apologize for that image of MC in a wheelchair YEARS ago?

It baffles me why it is always being bought up.

Hubble

I found this:
h2MTcl9.png

I understand where you're coming from; however things were going to change regardless. Call of Duty, for example, has changed drastically since Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I think that the people at 343i wanted to change things for the better, their intentions at heart were good. I personally wasn't very fond of how Halo 3 MP played, but I loved the SP. I almost immediately liked Halo 5 MP, though. I don't think it has a quick TTK at all, it's similar to CS GO from what I remember of the beta. The only difference is that the shield always wears out first before HP starts to in Halo, while in CS GO has an element of randomness.
I understand how you feel, though. I feel the same for Call of Duty, I just want MW1 and MW2 again. While I liked BO3, I would still prefer MW1/2 over it, very much so. Can't say that for Halo 3 v. Halo 5, though.

I disagree. They definitely went the quick COD TTK route. Heck, every weapon has been buffed up. From the AR to even the SMG (it is extremely deadly), which is quite drastic compared to how these weapons have been established in the Halo series confusing many. Not just that but it is quite obvious they took inspiration from COD. They just kept it in the Halo universe rather than evolving in ways while still being Halo. Ground pound in Halo (lol smh)? Gears of War 4 is evolving but not changing its heart. Thanks to Rod Ferguson, who is actually well liked by the Gears community unlike Josh Holmes.

daedalius

Everything. That. The weight. The FOV. It is embarrassing that upper management at 343 who green-lighted that design. Clearly that person/persons are not familiar with Halo. It is arguably the most recognizable Halo weapon and certainly marquee to the series. Like seriously?

he's so mad right now

etta

my hard graphic balls
By the way, that master chief in a wheelchair image was such a horrible, horrible idea. Who okayed that thing? :p

I say this as someone who believes Halo 4 to be the best god damn game in the entire series without a doubt.
If the presentation was an internal thing, I think it's okay. It conveys the point well and makes it very easy for the team to understand their objective by just giving them a mental picture.
If it was a public presentation, then yea, it's pretty awful.
I disagree. They definitely went the quick COD TTK route. Heck, every weapon has been buffed up. From the AR to even the SMG (it is extremely deadly), which is quite drastic compared to how these weapons have been established in the Halo series confusing many. Not just that but it is quite obvious they took inspiration from COD. They just kept it in the Halo universe rather than evolving in ways while still being Halo. Ground pound in Halo (lol smh)? Gears of War 4 is evolving but not changing its heart. Thanks to Rod Ferguson, who is actually well liked by the Gears community unlike Josh Holmes.
I can give you some reasons why I think those changes happened:
1. Weapons buff: I think they wanted to make the rest of the weapons viable alternatives for players of different skill level. Like in Call of Duty or Battlefield, even CS GO, any weapon is deadly to someone who knows how to use it. An AK (aside from AWP/Scout) is arguably the best gun in CS GO, but that doesn't mean a MAC10 will always die to an AK. Viable alternatives.
2. Ground pound: it's not exactly unpredictable. The armor suit in general looks like it could be repurposed to do such moves, if it was just a regular military outfit, then a ground pound would seem unnatural. In the Starry Night trailer, we see Chief jumping off that ledge into battle as if he were to stomp on them. Same for the jet pack moves, it all just seems like a natural evolution to a futuristic armor suit. Like how Gears of War has it's chain saw, which is just an evolution of a traditional bayonet. Except the guys at EPIC wanted to do something more on the weird side, akin to the buffed characters.

TokiDoki

Yeah he's bad . If it's COD I understand if you wanted to shoot at first sight , but in Halo , it's so easy to distinguish friend or foe with the color scheme . He reacted and fired to teammates so often ,and also , those nades placement SMH

JaggedSac

Wonder what hopper in the MCC collection is more popular. Halo 4 or the other 3 mainline hoppers.

It is amazing they released such an image.
Its an image that went hand in hand with the idea of making Halo more accessible.

People who read it as seeing their community as handicapped or making fun of disabled people were projecting their own weirdness.

And hey, Halo 4 was very accessible and new player friendly. It just didn't have legs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Its an image that went hand in hand with the idea of making Halo more accessible.

People who read it as seeing their community as handicapped or making fun of disabled people were projecting their own weirdness.

And hey, Halo 4 was very accessible and new player friendly. It just didn't have legs.

I see what we, in an overabundance of perceived empathy, albeit drastically misplaced, caused you to did thar.

Hubble

1. Weapons buff: I think they wanted to make the rest of the weapons viable alternatives for players of different skill level. Like in Call of Duty or Battlefield, even CS GO, any weapon is deadly to someone who knows how to use it. An AK (aside from AWP/Scout) is arguably the best gun in CS GO, but that doesn't mean a MAC10 will always die to an AK. Viable alternatives.
2. Ground pound: it's not exactly unpredictable. The armor suit in general looks like it could be repurposed to do such moves, if it was just a regular military outfit, then a ground pound would seem unnatural. In the Starry Night trailer, we see Chief jumping off that ledge into battle as if he were to stomp on them. Same for the jet pack moves, it all just seems like a natural evolution to a futuristic armor suit. Like how Gears of War has it's chain saw, which is just an evolution of a traditional bayonet. Except the guys at EPIC wanted to do something more on the weird side, akin to the buffed characters.

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now in Halo 5. No matter what skill level, one thing Halo has been known for is its variety of playlists, which many are casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. 343 as a studio should have sought to improve Halo in being Halo, and not change it like they have.

And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings. His role should have been to ensure the essence of Halo as being part of upper management.

I am a little concerned with the art direction, why do all these maps have the same look? Not exactly but the UNSC assets are really similar. I also think the game looks really clean but not as "nice" as I hoped. I think Killzone looked better. Also, where are the BR starts, I don't want to be playing spray and pray all the time.

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now. No matter what skill level, Halo has always been known for its variety of playlists, many casual and fun rather than competitive, and not its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo.

You cannot seriously be arguing that shitty weapon balance is what makes Halo, Halo.

Why am I engaging with you.

Madness

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. No matter what skill level, Halo has always been known for its variety of playlists and not its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo.

I didn't necessarily like ground pound, clamber when I first played either, but I don't think it means it's more CoD as opposed to just natural evolution of FPS design. I mean wall running, slide, double jumping and stuff is now standard across the board. Now that it's there, I think it's whatever. I do like clamber now, thrust is great etc.

I think ADS is probably the only real pandering to the CoD crowd, and even then, they did it in a way that they didn't alienate the rest of us, by making sure for almost all weapons, hip fire and movement wasn't affected as compared to zoom/scope.

I mean in Arena, we're getting free dlc, 60fps, on map weapons, equal starts, no random elements. This will include their BTB mode after launch when it's added. So it's definitely a pivot back to pre-Reach in terms of what makes Halo, Halo.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now. No matter what skill level, Halo has always been known for its variety of playlists, many casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings.

Has CoD ever had a ground pound out side of the gravity spikes in BO3?

The guy playing was terrible, but Halo 5 MP is all i need this fall. I played hours of the beta last winter and loved what i played. It was a fresh and enjoyable Halo for me. 60 fps, servers, and i welcome the new abilities as well and the changes being made from the beta. It still feels like Halo to me. Games evolve and this is a welcomed evolution.

Also, the TTK is not too fast at all. A well timed nade to drop shields then a quick pop to finish them off is normal in halo.

Hubble

You cannot seriously be arguing that shitty weapon balance is what makes Halo, Halo.

You missed the point. Weapon balance was less of an issue in Halo because the different playlists had its own set of rules and balance. Map and weapon control was a major focus point in Halo, when you all started with AR's for example.

Advanced Warfare. A lot of elements from AW have made their way to Halo. Clamber, thrusters, ground pount, sprint, etc.

Velcoro

The beta was awesome. Especially breakout. Hopefully 343 won't mess up the H5 release like they did with MCC.

Btw, the guy playing sucks lol

Does anyone even see people do ground n pound in matches? Its not even easy to pull off during a match. I rarely saw successful GnP's during the beta last winter. I dont see it being some overpowered thing online do to how long it takes to setup

CoD is now shorthand for any modern shooter. Or near future ones, and probably far future ones for good measure.

And historical shooters too.

Oh, and ones with competitive multiplayer.

Honestly, I think the groundpound is more of an e-sports spectator wow moment. Reminds me of Quake 3's HUMILIATIONs.

I am a little concerned with the art direction, why do all these maps have the same look? Not exactly but the UNSC assets are really similar. I also think the game looks really clean but not as "nice" as I hoped. I think Killzone looked better. Also, where are the BR starts, I don't want to be playing spray and pray all the time.

Looks like the spartans are playing inside a toy box

Hubble

Does anyone even see people do ground n pound in matches? Its not even easy to pull off during a match. I rarely saw successful GnP's during the beta last winter. I dont see it being some overpowered thing online do to how long it takes to setup

It's not particularly powerful, but the point is how it could have been implemented in Halo, when it feels completely out of place/pointless and out of element to what the series stands for. Just like how the sniper rifle was in the beta.

Stinkles

It's like a team oreinted assasination (from my perspective) there's a risk, but you can do some splash damage that can help your team if they're paying attention. It's also a lot like a special in a fighting game. If you screw it up, you're a doofus. If you pull it off, you're a hero. And the game is balanced to accentuate both.

Madness

It's like a team oreinted assasination (from my perspective) there's a risk, but you can do some splash damage that can help your team if they're paying attention. It's also a lot like a special in a fighting game. If you screw it up, you're a doofus. If you pull it off, you're a hero. And the game is balanced to accentuate both.

Think you probably have me on ignore, but again I'll ask, have you seen someone pull off a ground pound on a flying vehicle yet? Like on banshee or what not? What happens? One hit kill? Massive damage?

Yeah, it's pretty rare. More of a showy "look how damn good I am" move than anything terribly practical, though I have seen some super cool uses like smashing somebody out of a sword lunge after coming out of the lifts on Truth.

NUyttbnh.jpg

Stinkles

Think you probably have me on ignore, but again I'll ask, have you seen someone pull off a ground pound on a flying vehicle yet? Like on banshee or what not? What happens? One hit kill? Massive damage?

I do have you on ignore. Because my ignore list is so massive.

Yes. It's like all physics though.If you GP a flying vehicle, you'll hit it, presumably cause some damage, and slide off it.

I bet if it's on the ground (skidding Banshee?) and you go dead center, you'll smash.

You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now in Halo 5. No matter what skill level, one thing Halo has been known for is its variety of playlists, which many are casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. 343 as a studio should have sought to improve Halo in being Halo, and not change it like they have.

And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings. His role should have been to ensure the essence of Halo as being part of upper management.

Game looks great and feels very Halo to me. Different? Sure, but still Halo. This coming from a Halo fan since the beginning and someone who has disliked Call of Duty since the original MW.

I won't debate with you about what has been changed or if it makes Halo, Halo. Obviously a lot has evolved over the years. I have the utmost faith in 343 delivering with Halo 5. Not because I believe that they are going to deliver Halo 3.5, but because I think they will deliver an awesome Halo experience, standing on its own merits.

Though I understand why some people may not like the direction and stop playing the franchise. I'm like that with Call of Duty, so I get it.

Madness

Yes. It's like all physics though.If you GP a flying vehicle, you'll hit it, presumably cause some damage, and slide off it.

I bet if it's on the ground (skidding Banshee?) and you go dead center, you'll smash.

😢

Okay. That makes sense. Just wondering for those extreme times when people try and get splatters with Banshee or purposely fly low, if someone had the height could they smash through in one hit. In my mind I was imagining if we had a level like spire with H5 mechanics. Some guy flying around and you do a suicide style ground and pound straight through. But like you said, all physics so it's probably similar vehicle physics to ghost or warthog.

shoreu

Moments like this are show it's use in a tight situation
http://i.imgur.com/vq21a2j.webm

Fuck! how do i post a gif.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You proved my point. Instead of being Halo and separating itself from other franchises, they generalized themselves with the COD's, to CS, etc., by buffering these weapons. Halo feels less special now and is similar to COD in its playstyle in sprinting and gunning everywhere. Before if you did this and played like you were playing COD, you would be punished, but nope, far less now. No matter what skill level, Halo has always been known for its variety of playlists, many casual and fun rather than competitive, and not for its viability of weapons. That is not what makes Halo, Halo. Their direction is lost. And come on, you cannot tell me the first time you saw ground pound in Halo that you did not think it was completely awkward to the game and out of place. It almost feels like they added it in there to be like COD, instead of thinking of ways to improve Halo, being Halo. I just wished Stinkles would represent the Halo community more, and challenge Josh Holmes more. He has let us down, especially for being there since the beginnings.
Yea, well put. There's then two types of developers: ones that add and make changes to make it more accessible, and ones that continue the legacy, like CS GO, and hope that players find value in those core aspects that have been static for the entire series. Unfotunately for some, 343i is the former kind of developer. That's just it, you either like their new direction or don't. Is it possible to still enjoy the new game with it's new set of values? Halo is no longer the same Halo, but is the new Halo a good game, even though it's no longer the same Halo? Could one come to terms with the change of direction and end up liking the new game based on it's new set of values and not old? I think so. Like I said about BO3, I'd rather have MW1, but I still like it enough on it's own.

I don't know what their previous posts are, so I won't make any judgement of that, but from my conversation with them, they have been reasonable. That's all I need, reason and logic. I've seen posters who shit on Halo but lack reason, so I have dismissed those, but I won't dismiss Hubble, because I think there's reason in their way of thinking.

sounds great dude.

btw how are you treating map barriers in campaign and in MP this time around? I loved the freedom that halo CE and 2 had. I was very disappointed in Halo 3's barriers everywhere.

I imagine with all of the spartan abilities it has been a real challenge to keep players where you want them to be.

what is your philosophy on player freedom in the maps for Halo 5?

I'm really excited for prospects like this, I never like getting in vehicles, but I do love destroying them on foot, this will just add to my tool set. Speaking of destroying vehicles, the Mantis still needs tweaking in Halo 5, that thing ruined map flow, the inability to hijack it from the front made things worse. Map flow isn't a concern in Warzone where the lanes are large, but it could ruin BTB maps when those are released.

Top Bottom