• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Infamous: Second Son gameplay footage +previews/screenshots

EL CUCO

Are they safe to watch?
DY2T0SY.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Neon sword. I remember wondering if he would have that in one of my old posts. Glad to see it there.

in the gameplay video. is the bottom left suppose to look that ugly or are they covering up something? other than that. one month to go!!

Majanew

Banned
Looks good but I'm disappointed the lights aren't casting shadows. Being next-gen, little graphical details are standing out to me.

That was a horrible interview, the "reporter" was way too starstruck.

The game looks good though, looking forward to trying it out. I just wish they'd change the karma system to be more of a VN-esque path system.

The EG preview suggests an incredible world to explore, but the usual sandbox traits of generic - and ultimately uninteresting - missions. I hope the latter isn't the case because this thing looks beautiful in both stills and motion.

Grisby

Going through infamous 1 again and it's so crazy to see Second Son.

Camera and aiming looks strange. I'll be curious to see how much they'll change the formula from the original.

I can't create threads yet, so I'll post some interesting news from my interview with Sucker Punch: your Karma decisions won't lock you into one progression path, and making entirely good or evil decisions isn't advantageous anymore. Individual decisions throughout the game will determine how your powers grow and mutate, but smoke, neon, and [insert unannounced elements here] will be available to all players.

Story link:

http://www.psu.com/a022478/inFAMOUS...ur-choices-switch-alignment-whenever-you-like

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eurogamer's preview is a bit sobering. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Neither provides the glorious thwack and smash of video game combat at its best, alas. Maybe the sound effects are too soft, maybe the animation is too restrained and the camera shake and haptic feedback too gentle? Maybe it's something deeper and more mysterious that an idiot like me could never understand. Whatever's missing, it means that Second Son's combat is absolutely fine, but it doesn't yet thrill you, regardless of how you approach it. Melee lacks a sense of physical connection, and while the ranged option's definitely improved over the old days with the switch to a run-and-gun model (you can still opt for the over-the-shoulder approach as and when, but it's much nicer to just dash about firing at a reticule in the centre of the screen), both laser beams and smokey projectiles feel tame and weightless.

Meanwhile, the missions in the current build are worryingly generic. The karma system that defined Cole MacGrath's adventures has been retained here, and the demo provides the option to play through a sequence in which Delsin trains a wayward Conduit protégé named Fetch, either taking the heroic option by teaching her self-control as they mess up some drug dealers down by the harbour (I have no idea how messing up drug dealers is meant to teach self control, incidentally), or corrupting her with the ruthless path and heading out to trash some anti-Conduit rallies downtown.

Yeah, it's inFamous alright. Good or bad. lol

VanWinkle

I can't create threads yet, so I'll post some interesting news from my interview with Sucker Punch: your Karma decisions won't lock you into one progression path, and making entirely good or evil decisions isn't advantageous anymore. Individual decisions throughout the game will determine how your powers grow and mutate, but smoke, neon, and [insert unannounced elements here] will be available to all players.

Story link:

http://www.psu.com/a022478/inFAMOUS...ur-choices-switch-alignment-whenever-you-like

Interesting. Thanks for that bit of info.

Mondy

Banned
It certainly looks awesome, I'm just a bit diconcerted about how many times the word "cinematic" has been thrown around.

AzerPhire

Looks good but I'm disappointed the lights aren't casting shadows. Being next-gen, little graphical details are standing out to me.

Yea that was really odd, you can see it in the screenshots in the OP. Kind of a weird thing to leave out when everything else is really detailed.

Game looks fun from the videos. I thought the original was just 'ok' so I will wait to hear how the missions/campaign are before jumping in day 1.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Same here, it doesn't blow me away or anything. Probably pass.

Lakitu

st5fu
I really didn't feel the first two, but I hope to try this out, nonetheless I'll wait for reviews and GAF impressions. My PS4 needs new games.

VanWinkle

Hmm. Yeah I am not personally getting my hopes up like its the second coming of video games or anything. It's a next-gen Infamous. For many, like me, that'll do. Would I have preferred more risks? Bigger scope? Definitely. But it should still be a good experience.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This game is gonna sell a crap ton of copies. Dat drought + dat thirst + solid mechanics and great graphics= whoa nelly.

Graphics look super sharp and clean with some awesome particle effects but nothing super groundbreaking with the same tired old Infamous gameplay.

These videos didn't demonstrate much of the scale of the game since most of it took place inside a parking garage. Maybe a video out in the open would look more impressive.

BBboy20

Same here with Evolve in regards of static foliage but even then, I still think Second Son is the best looking thing next-gen has going for (and it's fucking sand-box).

Ridley327

Hopefully, they finally stomped out all the control spazzing that the previous games were prone to. Nothing was more frustrating in the previous games than for Cole to suddenly act like he's on a rail and have his movement locked to left and right strafing.

Theecliff

Banned
Looks great to me. Seems much faster paced than the first two games, with a greater use of close quarters combat. Definitely my most anticipated game at the moment.

Can someone gif the 1:12 part from the interview video? Love how the body dented the sign, looked so fucking cool.

McHuj

I think I'll wait for reviews. Not really feeling it.

Did any previews mention how long the game is supposed to be?

Litri

I have never played infamous, was planning to bite and buy a PS4 because of this game and it's odd but yesterday I ended up talking about the previous two games with a friend and he told me he was left dissapointed with the following points -->

-Story of both games was uninteresting.
-Very basic mission structure which get annoying after a while.
-Dumb AI from enemies and NPCs.

I guess I will need to try the game first as i'm not a guy that get's too wowed by the graphics...

AngryMoth

I think what is concerning me about this game is that while the new powers look great the enemies they have shown have been very uninteresting. I find that guys with guns are rarely fun to fight in this type of game, I hope there are plenty of conduit enemies as well to balance it out.

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping it improves on the formula the same way 2 did over 1 though.

I think what is concerning me about this game is that while the new powers look great the enemies they have shown have been very uninteresting. I find that guys with guns are rarely fun to fight in this type of game, I hope there are plenty of conduit enemies as well to balance it out.
It seems like that's the case. All the prior videos had plenty of soldiers using that rock jump and this one has a few using a rock shield.

DesuNe

I honestly loved the first two games. The karma system is very old hat and not very satisfying, but the progression of earning the powers and actually using them is extremely satisfying. The story keeps things ticking over too, nothing exceptionally interesting but enough to keep you moving forward.

Shame I don't have a PS4 yet but this is definitely one I'll be adding to my collection when I eventually get one.

Pretty much.

The varieties in Delsin's power and traversal are more than sufficient to make for a very exciting display of combat... but the previews have mostly been grunts who drop like flies, and conduits with unexciting powers. ( guys who basically move around with earth powers, blah )

There needs to be enemies that possess similar levels of traversal with Delsin, and can chase you on rooftops, not guys whom you can kite by simply sniping them from afar.

LuuKyK

Looks incredible, especially the neon powers. Everything about them is cool, from sound effects to visuals. I am honestly impressed with it.

Top Bottom