• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Infamous: Second Son gameplay footage +previews/screenshots

solarus

I hope sony markets the fuck out of the game because it's a little low on the best sellers list compared to titanfall which is doing pretty well. They need to generate more interest.

In the day footage there's character shadows because there is sun. At night, there is no sun.

Insert punchline where appropriate.

Which means SP is using the sun as the only shadow-creating light source in the game. That's what people are pointing out. At night, things like street lights, signs, and fire should be creating shadows as well. It looks like SP is not including this.

Looks-wise, it's the most Next-Gen looking game I've seen.

Gameplay looks fun, but I need to see more substance. So far, all we've seen is a guy running around with super powers. But what about the world itself?

1. Does it have an open-world economy? Ways to make money and simulate a real lifestyle like GTA5 has?
2. Does it have random, real-time events? Or is everything scripted?
3. Do your actions mean anything to the larger world?

Or is it just mission-to-mission gaming with objectives?

Also - can you drive vehicles? Swim?

I have a billion questions about this game.

It's night time.

BaYbSVN.jpg

suuure.

Loudninja

There's an incredible amount of detail packed into every frame of Second Son, but the lighting and particle effects stand above all of them. Environmental reflections flicker off puddles of water in the street, neon projectiles pulse with an incandescent glow as they hurtle towards enemies, and all without so much as a hitch in performance. Especially in a large, fairly destructible open-world environment, that's a pretty impressive feat, and a good reason to be thankful for next-gen hardware.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/infamous-second-son-dials-up-the-action-and-the-drama

Sony really can't win with you.

Honestly, what impresses people about this footage outside the effects? Gameplay looks like the same formula, I barely see any environment interaction, AI looks ok I guess, impressions say the mission structure is the same conventional stuff we usually get. I'm really not seeing anything that makes me think of it as a next gen title outside the graphics.

Seanspeed

Banned
Other than that - the tunnel segment looked a tad underwhelming for some reason, but that Neon saved the day. Looks soooooo good!
The footage shown in general doesn't look good and absolutely nothing like the screenshots. I think(hope) its just bad quality footage(for whatever reason, encoding, compression, ???).

Theecliff

Banned
I think what is concerning me about this game is that while the new powers look great the enemies they have shown have been very uninteresting. I find that guys with guns are rarely fun to fight in this type of game, I hope there are plenty of conduit enemies as well to balance it out.
We've seen enemies that do a rock like jump like the ice mercenaries from inFamous 2, so there's definitely going to be conduit enemies. I'm betting the more interesting conduit enemies will turn up later in the game (like in the second) so we probably won't see many in previews and such.

Sony really need to show The Order or Uncharted 4. This game, while pretty, still feels like a last gen game.
How so? I think it looks like a nice evolution of inFamous. It was definitely never this fast paced and melee-centric.

Well, he's right.

He's not.

This game looks very next-gen, have you seen what Infamous 1 and 2 look like compared to Second Son? They aren't at all pretty. And the city looks gorgeous in "Second Son"

I hope sony markets the fuck out of the game because it's a little low on the best sellers list compared to titanfall which is doing pretty well. They need to generate more interest.

They're going to most likely have a modest ad campaign, but it will be the Twitch/Ustream Let's Plays that will bring over people on-the-fence

GlamFM

Banned
Gameplay still looks bad IMO.

Spamming energy out of your hand is super unappealing. Hand to hand combat doesn´t have any flow and seems to ignore that games like Batman or SleepyDogs happened. I can´t see any cover mechanics. Don´t know if I would call it "last gen", but yeah it doesn´t seem to have evolved much.

I have to admit to myself, inFamous is probably just not made for me. I've played the first one because it was free for a short time, skipped the second now i see the same spam your power a thousand times in a row without tactical thought gameplay i was bored with in the first one already. I don't even know why it's bothering me so much with this game as repetitiveness is not something extraordinarily critical to me.

Infamous has never been that big a franchise. Being one of the first big PS4 games after launch is going to give it a big boost though.

Proxy

Well, he's right.

Well no. He's not. See I can play this game too. Why don't you and/or him enumerate why you feel this isn't a next gen game. Whatever that really means.

Honestly, what impresses people about this footage outside the effects? Gameplay looks like the same formula, I barely see any environmental interaction, AI looks ok I guess, impressions say the mission structure is the same conventional stuff we usually get. I'm really not seeing anything that makes me think of it as a next gen title outside the graphics.

And Titanfall looks like a FPS shooter with the same trappings as COD. Yet you seem to feel it'll be the next biggest thing iirc.

KorrZ

Yeah, I pretty much expect the missions in this game to be bland and boring. The first 2 InFamous games bored me to tears with the main story. The draw here is fucking around with cool super powers in an open world.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Animation is piss poor. There is no weight to Delsin. He stops and spins on a dime. Horrible. I really hoped next gen would at least have better animation for the main character then simply morph from one pre-canned animation to another. Yuck.

E92 M3

Never understood the appeal of the infamous games -- rather have a new [Prototype] game. That said, neon swords do look cool.

Honestly, what impresses people about this footage outside the effects? Gameplay looks like the same formula, I barely see any environment interaction, AI looks ok I guess, impressions say the mission structure is the same conventional stuff we usually get. I'm really not seeing anything that makes me think of it as a next gen title outside the graphics.

But what else would a new generation bring? More power = better graphics, better AI, more details, bigger world, more destructablity, more variety.

I don't know what you're expecting.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Which means SP is using the sun as the only shadow-creating light source in the game. That's what people are pointing out. At night, things like street lights, signs, and fire should be creating shadows as well. It looks like SP is not including this.
Ah, ok.

Not something I was expecting given the scale but I look forward to it in Infamous Third Son's tech demo.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Man, they seriously need to show some interesting gameplay segments, not this shoot armed guy #100

This blew minds when they first showed Infamous 2, they need something like this.

Some people like it for the character design somehow. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564825

The game just looks unappealing to me but I can't pinpoint why.

Theecliff

Banned
Spamming energy out of your hand is super unappealing. Hand to hand combat doesn´t have any flow and seems to ignore that games like Batman or SleepyDogs happened. I can´t see any cover mechanics. Don´t know if I would call it "last gen", but yeah it doesn´t seem to have evolved much.
There were cover mechanics in both inFamous 1 and 2, and they were pretty much worthless 90% of the time. Why would you want to see them here anyway?

Hmm...whats wrong with his eyes?

And the graphics dont look like the screenshots they released. But my biggest concern is the movement...it looks like he can't be controlled so well. Can someone tell me how godd or bad the controls are?

GlamFM

Banned
There were cover mechanics in both inFamous 1 and 2, and they were pretty much worthless 90% of the time. Why would you want to see them here anyway?

Because this running around spamming energy in every direction isn´t appealing to me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hmm...whats wrong with his eyes?

And the graphics dont look like the screenshots they released. But my biggest concern is the movement...it looks like he can't be controlled so well. Can someone tell me how godd or bad the controls are?

Destructoid was very satisfied with controls.

L1NETT

Gameplay still looks bad IMO.

Agree broadly with this. Eurogamer preview does raise these concerns.

Visually it looks tip top, but i get the sense firstly if you weren't big into infamous before this won't convert you. Secondly, as you and others have brought up the gameplay itself doesn't seem that engaging, as Bloodworth mentioned in his preview there does seem to a weightlessness to some of it.

Still looks good though, excited to get my hands on it.

Animation is piss poor. There is no weight to Delsin. He stops and spins on a dime. Horrible. I really hoped next gen would at least have better animation for the main character then simply morph from one pre-canned animation to another. Yuck.
Animation needs to tie into how the controls work. You can't have ultra-realistic animations if you want the character to be able to turn on a dime.

thuway

Yeah where is the high quality video? This compression makes it look terrible.

Also, if you didn't like inFamous before, this won't convert you. This is looking to expand on the formula, the world, and the plot with a nice shiny coat of paint. It's being released in the first few months of next-gen, and is essentially a glorified first run release. For what it is, this and Shadow Fall are two of the most graphically impressive titles today.

And this running at 1080p, just makes it all butter.

LTWood12

To me, the good vs. evil stuff is the worst part of infamous 1 & 2. It's so black & white. I was hoping this one would manage to make things a lot less gray. Sounds exactly the same; Kill these unarmed harmless protesters, or kill evil druglord/weapon dealers.

Top Bottom