• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters XIV teaser reveals Leona and CHANG KOEHAN

Amedo310

Wait... Wasn't there less than two years between XII and XIII?

If there were eleven new characters in XIII, that means it would take eighty eight months to make it (if each character took eight months, that is).

Guy's my math isn't great, but I am pretty sure there are less than eighty eight months in two years.

Okay, so what you are saying is that it took sixteen months FOR ONE MEMBER of the team to make a character? Or that it took sixteen months to make multiple characters simultaneously? I am partially being silly, but I am also genuinely confused. Either way, there are some obvious problems with these numbers (or at the very least, how these numbers are being presented)...

It would had took 16 to 17 months to make a new character, if one person was working on each character. They had eleven people working on each character back then.

Rymuth

Looks a lot better than the first impression we got.

jCjOEm5.png
200x200px-ZC-f8b2cf35_cat_disgusted.gif

Wait... Wasn't there less than two years between XII and XIII?

If there were eleven new characters in XIII, that means it would take eighty eight months to make it (if each character took eight months, that is).

Guy's my math isn't great, but I am pretty sure there are less than eighty eight months in two years.

Okay, so what you are saying is that it took sixteen months FOR ONE MEMBER of the team to make a character? Or that it took sixteen months to make multiple characters simultaneously? I am partially being silly, but I am also genuinely confused. Either way, there are some obvious problems with these numbers (or at the very least, how these numbers are being presented)...

I think the point is that the workflow from start to finish takes 18 months and you can't really shorten that time. So if you want to make the game with 20 characters in 18 months, you need to dedicate 20 complete teams (animators, modellers, pixel artists etc) to finish the game. Obviously that's an expensive way of doing it, so you stagger the schedule to reduce overlap, but then it takes longer.

Presumably 3D development is more modular so you can work on different things at the same time. You can do animations on a rough model, and so on. But you can't really work on handmade pixel shading until the sprite has been fully drawn.

Also, KoFXIII uses 480p sprites on a 720p background, which gives a rough look on any modern screen, and it won't scale any better in the future. If they had gone for 720p sprites, they might have squeezed by (like Blazblue), but with SNK's design choices, there would be even more work to fill in pixels. If they want to be anywhere near future proof, they either need to draw 2k sprites (won't ever happen), change their design and work process to a style that scales better (like Skullgirls) or go 3D. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if they actually had a good 3D engine and good modellers.

Sayad

In an interview with Fighters Front Line, Kukino replies that each character took 16~17 months to complete with a team of 10 different designers. Additionally, the sprites were personally checked by Nona for quality.
From their wiki, but here's how it works:

The character goes through three main steps, making a 3D model, animating the 3D model and tracing over the 3D animation with sprites. You have different people working on each steps, say the modelers take one or two months to model a character, they then start modeling another character while the animators work on the first model and that's how it goes with people making the sprites too. So a single character taking 16 months to make doesn't mean they'd make 1 and a half character in 2 years.

When they saw that they couldn't afford 2D sprites anymore...

Looks like they can't afford 3D either. D:
Yes I know that 2D is a long and expensive process... but this isn't 2005 anymore. I mean, I would have understood this move if this was right after KOF XI, with the shift from SD to HD and such. But they already have done that shift. They took the expensive hassle to redraw a big chunk of the cast in beautiful HD. That work could have served as the base for all the forthcoming titles, thay just had to ad a few characters with each iteration.

Bad bad move on their part, I sincerely hope that this tank hard.

Spman2099

It would had took 16 to 17 months to make a new character, if one person was working on each character. They had eleven people working on each character back then.

Isn't this a nonsensical way to calculate game development time? Couldn't they do something similar with every fighting game?

There were thirty seven people working on twenty four characters in SF4. Even if the development cycle was only a year long, and I am pretty sure it was longer, you could then calculate that it took them around sixteen months per character. Woah!

So a single character taking 16 months to make doesn't mean they'd make 1 and a half character in 2 years.

That is the thing, though; the way people present that data makes it sound like it did. Which is ridiculous.

nded

Apart from Chang, this game seems to be on the opposite end of the body proportion spectrum compared to Street Fighter. Kyo and Iori look like a couple of stick figures flailing at each other.

Numb

Those 13 sprites were too godlike.
This is not just bad compared but on another lvl.
Glad it exists tho.

Amedo310

Isn't this a nonsensical way to calculate game development time? Couldn't they do something similar with every fighting game?

There were thirty seven people working on twenty four characters in SF4. Even if the development cycle was only a year long, and I am pretty sure it was longer, you could then calculate that it took them around sixteen months per character. Woah!

That is the thing, though; the way people present that data makes it sound like it does. Which is ridiculous.

I'm talking about XII and XIII sprites. I'm sure not one person worked on character back during that time.

Yes I know that 2D is a long and expensive process... but this isn't 2005 anymore. I mean, I would have understood this move if this was right after KOF XI, with the shift from SD to HD and such. But they already have done that shift. They took the expensive hassle to redraw a big chunk of the cast in beautiful HD. That work could have served as the base for all the forthcoming titles, thay just had to ad a few characters with each iteration.

Bad bad move on their part, I sincerely hope that this tank hard.

The sprites weren't in HD though, although they were still quite beautiful. They were the same resolution as GGX from 2000.

Remember when SNK used to be to rival Capcom? This looks like they found some old assets from their 3D adventures back in the 90ies and made a PS4 game out of it.

Looks real bad but eh, it's KOF. Will try. I just don't get what they were aiming for with this, visually. It's telling when the logo looks way cooler than the game...

That's not Smart Chang. Where is Smart Chang?

I'd make a further list of roster requests, but this game looks completely underwhelming at the moment.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The company is so behind with the times, this is outright embarrassing and it happens to Leona of all characters.
It's especially sad when you remember that KoF had, if not perfect, the most diverse female cast of the fighting genre.

I'm going to play some KoF 98 and mope.

Momentary

Banned
Looks a lot better than the first impression we got.

jCjOEm5.png

Good grief this game is comedy gold. What happened tho their faces. Kyo and Iori just look off.

It's looking a lot better.

I wholeheartedly disagree. It looks a little better.

I feel so embarressed for SNKP right now. I'm still going to buy the game if it comes to STEAM, but holy hell am I disappointed with this reveal. The announcer at the beginning just makes me cringe. It's so damn bad. I like how they disabled comments for the video right off the bat.

Spman2099

Good grief this game is comedy gold. What happened tho their faces. Kyo and Iori just look off.

I wholeheartedly disagree. It looks a little better.

I feel so embarressed for SNKP right now. I'm still going to buy the game if it comes to STEAM, but holy hell am I disappointed with this reveal. The announcer at the beginning just makes me cringe. It's so damn bad. I like how they disabled comments for the video right off the bat.

I feel genuinely awful for the people working on this game. Either they are completely undermanned and spread too thin, or they are inexperienced and in WAY over their heads. Either way, it has to be awful to work your ass off to make a game and see that everyone is disgusted with your efforts.

Like, not just disappointed, but legitimately offended because your work is so far below par. Surely they had to have been aware that everything was going very poorly... This is such a depressing situation.

Squire

Banned
You could cut that PS4 logo out of this trailer and tell me this a PS2 Classics release.

Wouldn't even give it a second thought.

I feel like maybe there's some shader wizardry they want to go for with the look and maybe they just haven't gotten that figured out yet. I don't know any other way you could make a game for PS4 look this bad with a team of professionals and (some) money.

Loona

I liked how Iori's now using effects from his XII/XIII along with his flames.

I wonder how/why Chang got himself arrested in South Town when he's supposed to be under Kim's supervision in Korea... Went on a trip, got busted and was going to be extradited back to Korea.

I like that Leona's feeling like her XIII self, just not sure about the lighter colors.

tzare

The king returns, in some pretty fugly clothes...

Still looks better than the initial reveal.

this

Looks better than the reveal, and gameplay seems okay too. But still looks like a generic ps2 game to me.
Hopefully it is just this horrible stage only. I understand the switch to 3d models, probably better for easier development, but artistically the game looks really bland and average.

When is this game supposed to be released?

LordCiego

It looks the same but I liked this trailer better, only because seeing their classic moves makes me remember old games not because its truly good, time will tell.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that they need this to run on Chinese android gaming consoles? The ones Razer bought Ouya for and so on.
That's the only explanation I have for this crap.

Mad expensive.
But they already have two whole games ready, with assets and all. How expensive can it be to put together 8 new characters and a few backgrounds? It can't be that much more expensive than creating a whole new 3D game from scratch

XII is AMAZING and spectacular, those close ups!!! Underrated, sure it was a bit lacking in content but such an awesome game.

Man you have no clue how happy I am to meet someone who appreciated that game as much as I did. The roster wasn't huge but I enjoyed it so much at the time. Beautiful game, wish SNK would do a Dream Match edition and carry over the gameplay of XII.

Zerojul

Didn't some Chinese corporation buy out SNK recently ? Supposedly to inject big bucks into their successfull ip's in a wide array of fields, games included ? It would be cool to spare some dough for the sequel of their flagship series. No matter how talented their current team may be, this looks very low budget ATM.
Or maybe it was revealed too soon and it will continue to steadily improve. I sure hope that's the case because I freaking love KOF and I want to enjoy it in its best shape, be it 2D or 3D.
And bring back Yamazaki please

Top Bottom