• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS5 The Phantom Pain Announcement on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying out Ground Zeros, I prefer Sutherland over Hayter. JackBauerSnakeBoss is the future. You would all do well to embrace this.

David Hayter tended to be too hammy in his rendition of Solid Snake. I wouldn't mind having him back if he toned it back a little bit. Going back and playing MGS1-4 really show how terribly David Hayters portrayal of Solid Snake has aged

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It's gotten to the point where I could care less about this game. I think we're going on year 3 now? It's just too long for me to stay hyped and not even get a release date yet.

LowParry

It's gotten to the point where I could care less about this game. I think we're going on year 3 now? It's just too long for me to stay hyped and not even get a release date yet.

You sound like the XV crowd. Wait until you get that release date and trailer. The hype will return.

legacyzero

Banned

Dude, the release date is probably within a few months if strong rumors are to be believed.

LowParry

Nah the true FFXVersus fanbase faith hasn't waivered in 9 years, extremely hype for the demo.

I'll admit my faith for the game drifted off a couple years ago to the point thinking the game is just vaporware. The latest updates we've been getting lately, whew. Back on the train.

They're technically not triplets. Solid and Liquid are twins (who were once octuplets until the other brothers were sacrificed) but Solidus wasn't one of the octuplets, instead he was created afterwards from a different batch as far as I understand. Naomi has a line in MGS4 where she tells Old Snake that neither him nor Liquid are an exact copy of Big Boss, and she says "which is why they created Solidus." And Eva never refers to giving birth to Solidus either, she only refers to Solid and Liquid in her speech.

It's weird because you'd think Liquid's line about the octuplets was specifically planted for the twist that there was a third survivor, but apparently it's not the case and Solidus is altogether different. What's also interesting is at the end of Ground Zeroes it specifically tells you in the ending timeline that Les Enfant Terribles was abandoned in 1976 (a year after Big Boss went into the coma) whereas we've only known that it started in 1972 for quite some time.

So Solid and Liquid are 12 years old in TPP and somewhere in between 1972 and 1976 Solidus was born making him oddly the youngest, even though he looks the oldest.

God I love and hate the Metal Gear series. Excited for Wednesday.

I just hope he talks a lot. This is my only concern with the Sutherland. Otherwise I'm completely fine with it.

This is my main concern, especially after seeing that trailer (or maybe it was an E3 demo) in the desert where Ocelot is talking and talking to Big Boss and it keeps looking like he's gonna say something back, but instead he just looks back and forth and concentrates on his hand.

Which sort of feels like someone said, well we couldn't get Sutherland to voice this part so how about we turn Troy Baker into an exposition machine since he's more affordable than Sutherland, and our animator will do his best to make it look like Big Boss is listening and understanding.

doofy102

David Hayter tended to be too hammy in his rendition of Solid Snake. I wouldn't mind having him back if he toned it back a little bit. Going back and playing MGS1-4 really show how terribly David Hayters portrayal of Solid Snake has aged

Whilst I agree the performance got weird, there was a video recently that proves David Hayter can still do the MGS1 snake voice.

Man you guys are dedicated lol. I hope the game is great since I was a diehard FF fan for years but god I just don't care about it at all until it comes out
I just care for XV though! My fav FF is VIII ;P I hope the game turns out to be good.
I'll admit my faith for the game drifted off a couple years ago to the point thinking the game is just vaporware. The latest updates we've been getting lately, whew. Back on the train.

It's gotten to the point people want Tabata to stop doing active reports so frequently lol weird times.

Man I hope we get TPP SE on wed.

-Deimos

Whilst I agree the performance got weird, there was a video recently that proves David Hayter can still do the MGS1 snake voice.

He does a great Solid Snake. Then they tried to make him do something different yet similar with BB and failed.

Eurocult

Please give me the release date. I will even pre-order the most expensive/obnoxious special edition Konami has to offer and I hate those things. Let's do this.

I think Hayter is probably gone for good. Even if he wasn't, I don't imagine they would pull a charade this long just to spill the beans before the game actually releases.

Risev1

I think Hayter is probably gone for good. Even if he wasn't, I don't imagine they would pull a charade this long just to spill the beans before the game actually releases.

Yeah pretty much. Even if Hayter is in, Kojima wouldn't have done all of this in the past 2 years only to go "yeah btw Hayter is in" just a few months prior to release.

doofy102

It's kind of beautiful that the fans have made Hayter part of the game all on their own. Throughout the first playthrough, there will be a certain buzz. A whiff of David Hayter in the air.

Then the sadness. We'll all be there when the credits roll and Hayter doesn't show up. It will be a very memorable moment of MGSV which Kojima won't have even intended as Director.

Our moment. Hayter's moment.

Spaghetti

So what are we thinking on odds the PC release is same day as consoles? Low?
i believe high, for a number of factors.

the steamdb entry is still getting updated every couple of months, so we know it's in active development and having the build updated, the preorder page on the mgsv website has the pc version front and centre with the console versions (although the tab is greyed out, because you can't preorder on steam until a product has a release date), mgsv's listing on konami's financials lumped all platforms into a single slot (if they had made the decision to split the release they probably might have given the pc version a separate slot on the listing for the sake of clarity).

TheXbox

Do I have to play Peace Walker to understand this game? Its the only one I haven't played
You need to know the story of PW. There's a lot of text you can read in GZ to fill you in, or you can check a wiki. Either way you'll be missing a lot if you don't know PW's story.

Do I have to play Peace Walker to understand this game? Its the only one I haven't played

If you've got the time, its definitely worth playing (get the HD collection version if you want the best experience).

I believe Ground Zeros has casette tapes that go over most of the story. You've played or plan on playing GZ... right?

doofy102

You need to know the story of PW. There's a lot of text you can read in GZ to fill you in, or you can check a wiki. Either way you'll be missing a lot if you don't know PW's story.

Most of PW's plot is irrelevant to Phantom Pain. All you have to do is play Ground Zeroes and consult the tapes, which do some work of establishing the characters and their motivations for people who didn't play Peace Walker.

doofy102

Disagree, PW gives way more context to Chico and Paz than just those tapes.

But to "understand" Ground Zeroes, you don't need it.

I mean, you'll "feel" the story more because you've been following the characters longer, but it's not like he will feel lost if he plays it or something.

Palpable

But to "understand" Ground Zeroes, you don't need it.

I mean, you'll "feel" the story more because you've been following the characters longer, but it's not like he will feel lost if he plays it or something.

People won't understand the significance of
Mother Base nor Big Boss' army that got totally ass fucked at the end of GZ.

TheXbox

Most of PW's plot is irrelevant to Phantom Pain. All you have to do is play Ground Zeroes and consult the tapes, which do some work of establishing the characters and their motivations for people who didn't play Peace Walker.
Has Kojima said this? GZ would have been borderline incomprehensible without some knowledge of PW's story.

Skux

It's coming

ijM8yv2F4bYk1.gif

doofy102

There are more than enough things in Ground Zeroes to catch players up to speed.

It's not a complex scenario to read. What certain things mean are obvious on the characters' own faces. If you can understand the opening of an action movie, you'll quickly grasp Ground Zeroes.

Um no,
His Solid Snake has always been good.
The direction he was given made him change his voice for MGS3(which is when the "OTT bad acting" started.)
After that we got Old Snake and he was made to try matching that god awful version of Solid(Old Snake sucked in every aspect)
Finally he has to go back to the Big Boss voice yet age it up as well and try to make it more of a finalized Big Boss voice.

Hayter's best voice and acting is MGS1 which is closest to his regular voice.
The material and direction is what has ruined the voice.

JayEH

Especially with the way he has been handling this. He's burned all bridges.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Um no,
His Solid Snake has always been good.
The direction he was given made him change his voice for MGS3(which is when the "OTT bad acting" started.)
After that we got Old Snake and he was made to try matching that god awful version of Solid(Old Snake sucked in every aspect)
Finally he has to go back to the Big Boss voice yet age it up as well and try to make it more of a finalized Big Boss voice.

Hayter's best voice and acting is MGS1 which is closest to his regular voice.
The material and direction is what has ruined the voice.

Yup, although MGS1 Snake is GOAT. With MGS2 you can start to hear the stressing of the "rrrr's" and more gravel which only increased with each role. By the time we get to Peace Walker he's in full parody mode. But, MGS1 Snake was so damn good the perfect mixture of an ice cold delivery with an light gravely tone.

EDIT:

One of my favorite pieces of delivery from MGS1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHDcxxCH71g&index=15&list=PL8AFB0EC49FAA459C#t=3m42s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom