• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NieR Automata Info. Characters, Footage, etc.

Numb

DEM HIPS !

latest

Shakira-in-Whenever-Wherever-music-video-shakira-30898795-640-480.gif

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Looks so good! Never played Nier. Is it an open world RPG or is it more like Dragon Age?

This looks absolutely amazing! Be nice if the game is 60fps on PS4, or it comes out on PC too.

Its 60fps on PS4.

And just to reiterate

You probably recognize PlatinumGames’ distinct action style in the gameplay trailer but if you look closely, you’ll be able to spot gameplay elements from the original Nier as well. It’s still an action RPG so don’t worry if you want more RPG mechanics in the game, they’re still there!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1131401

Looks so good! Never played Nier. Is it an open world RPG or is it more like Dragon Age?

It's sort of open world, but not a terribly large one. There's kind of a central hub and a handful or areas connected to it that you revisit throughout the game. It's hard to talk about the game's structure without spoiling large swaths of it; it's really something that every gamer deserves to experience.

That's the first game, though. Who knows how this game will be structured. I hope it's not too different, fundamentally. I loved exploring that world enough that I could forgive (and enjoy!) the lackluster combat. I hope the sequel doesn't over-correct and neglect the things that Nier absolutely did right in terms of gameplay.

It's more like a Zelda game with some veeeery light RPG elements. Basically the game will tell you you've leveled up every now and then, and that's it; you aren't allocating stat points or anything, but you will find new weapons and you can upgrade them. It's more hub-based than truly open world, with a few towns connected by reasonably large outside areas with loadscreens in between.

Just be ready for some... let's say obtuse game design. I don't want to discourage anyone from playing it, but just don't feel bad about having to look at a walkthrough if you need to.

Ubernube

It's more like a Zelda game with some veeeery light RPG elements. Basically the game will tell you you've leveled up every now and then, and that's it; you aren't allocating stat points or anything, but you will find new weapons and you can upgrade them. It's more hub-based than truly open world, with a few towns connected by reasonably large outside areas with loadscreens in between.

Just be ready for some... let's say obtuse game design. I don't want to discourage anyone from playing it, but just don't feel bad about having to look at a walkthrough if you need to.

I'm curious how much of that obtuse design they're going to or willing to incorporate in this game. I would not be surprised in the least if the last playable character/ending is locked behind Yoko's good old "Gotta get all the weapons to see the final ending" thing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm curious how much of that obtuse design they're going to or willing to incorporate in this game. I would not be surprised in the least if the last playable character/ending is locked behind Yoko's good old "Gotta get all the weapons to see the final ending" thing.

"Get pure platinum in every encounter to see final ending."

Dio

Banned
Yoko Taro would be the type of guy to hide the final end behind a platinum trophy unlock, if that's even possible.

And I wouldn't even care.

I even loved the final sequence of Drakengard 3 in retrospect, even though it was hard as balls and unfair as fuck. I guess I'm a masochist for whatever Taro has for me as long as it has a good soundtrack to burn into my memory.

daevious

Yoko Taro would be the type of guy to hide the final end behind a platinum trophy unlock, if that's even possible.

It's the only way you could top
wiping out your save file
and
Drakengard rhythm game final boss 2, rhythmic boogaloo
so why not?

raven777

Yoko Taro said he wanted to hide the ending under paid gacha system, but the team didn't allow it. Platinum were mad at Yoko for proposing that. lol

About the OST I prefer the imaginary language of the original Nier. English lyrics sounds too common lol

About the game i'm still afraid the game will be a gameplay focused game, i want a story focused game like the first one. Until now the game looks like a BTA, nothing more.

Please Platinum Games don't ruin my dreams.. Or just rename the game lol

Dio

Banned
About the OST I prefer the imaginary language of the original Nier. English lyrics sounds too common lol

About the game i'm still afraid the game will be a gameplay focused game, i want a story focused game like the first one. Until now the game looks like a BTA, nothing more.

Please Platinum Games don't ruin my dreams.. Or just rename the game lol

There was a English language song for the original Nier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxgJ_8AgQbo

Qvoth

looking real good
to anyone that went to the concert, did they perform anything other than the new theme song?

Dio

Banned
This is the only one

Nier's theme song had four versions, one being English.

We've only heard one 'English' theme song for Nier 2 - it might be 'four versions' like the original's, but we don't know that yet.

Therefore, I'm not seeing anything indicating it's all English or something.

The soundtrack is so intense.

Listen to this flawlessness holy shit

omg my bowls

I wasn't a fan of the original game's soundtrack (please don't stone me!) because it was so mellow and repetitive that I was left unmoved.

when is this coming out someone hold me

Cool, I didn't know the slow deep vocal parts of that music was the same person doing the very fast high pitch vocals in the next second lol, that's pretty impressive.

I had no interest in the original Nier, still don't (be gentle) but platinum being involved and the look of that game play and art. I'm really excited for this one.

SoraNoKuni

I hope for a PC version, maybe alongside a "remaster" of the 1st one as well.
It's been a long time since I played Nier.

I had no interest in the original Nier, still don't (be gentle) but platinum being involved and the look of that game play and art. I'm really excited for this one.
B-but Nier is such a good game. Please just give it a shot. 😢
There's really nothing else like it out there.

B-but Nier is such a good game. Please just give it a shot. 😢
There's really nothing else like it out there.
Ha ha! I expected this response. A few of my RPG friends in another forum tried to get me to play it but I hated most of the games I played by Cavia before they closed down (Drakenguard, Bullet Witch etc) which is why I stayed away from the first game originally though I know it's gathered a cult fan base over the years. I'm a huge RPG and action game fan though so Automata appeals to me a lot more with Platinum involved :)

Nier is a great game but it grinds me down. I've played it twice and stopped at roughly the same point. I'll resume playing it but for me it needs me to force myself to play it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ha ha! I expected this response. A few of my RPG friends in another forum tried to get me to play it but I hated most of the games I played by Cavia before they closed down (Drakenguard, Bullet Witch etc) which is why I stayed away from the first game originally though I know it's gathered a cult fan base over the years. I'm a huge RPG and action game fan though so Automata appeals to me a lot more with Platinum involved :)
I feel like Cavia's involvement is completely irrelevant to why people love Nier. You have too much information about the pedigree of the developer and it doesn't even matter. It's like writing off the Souls games because you know too much about From Software.

I feel like Cavia's involvement is completely irrelevant to why people love Nier. You have too much information about the pedigree of the developer and it doesn't even matter. It's like writing off the Souls games because you know too much about From Software.
That makes little sense. I get you're probably a Nier fan but people are naturally going to be hesitant about a game based on that studios prior works no? If it had reviewed high I'd have been inclined to give it a chance maybe despite Cavia's involvement.

Regardless I didn't want a debate on the original title (shouldn't have mentioned it at all XD) I'm just impressed by what I've seen of the new game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This reminded me to check Nier PS3 prices again.

Goddamn they're actually not crazy now. Hopefully I'll finish the first one in time for this.

NateDog

Looks amazing so far. I really need to actually get into NieR and play it properly sometime soon. The first time I tried to play it I spent about 3 hours and only finished I think 2 days in it then never picked it back up.

Anko

Emi Evans was at the concert, right?

Did she say anything about working on NieR Automata there?

Okabe mentioned that yes, Emi Evans will be singing for Automata. It didn't sound like a slip of the tongue.

He was introducing Nakagawa and the new singer to the audience when he mentioned something along the lines of "...of course, I will be getting Emi Evans to sing for Automata as well..."

Hektor

Okabe mentioned that yes, Emi Evans will be singing for Automata. It didn't sound like a slip of the tongue.

He was introducing Nakagawa and the new singer to the audience when he mentioned something along the lines of "...of course, I will be getting Emi Evans to sing for Automata as well..."

Thank goodness since the main theme is dull as dishwater compared to Emi Evans work on Nier 1.

Top Bottom