• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

Orayn

Sure hope Dark Souls II arrives on its "lead platform" before the original becomes (completely) unplayable on PC thanks to GFWL.

Dark Souls is scheduled to have GFWL patched out, though their plans haven't been finalized yet.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Haha apparently there is in-game punishment for people who plug-pull when invaded.
Sure hope Dark Souls II arrives on its "lead platform" before the original becomes (completely) unplayable on PC thanks to GFWL.
What are you talking about?

Grief.exe

Dark Souls 1 will never become unplayable even if Bandai refuses to make the investment for a patch.
You can play it with an offline profile, though achievements and online interaction will cease to function.

Though, last we have heard, Bandai is, 'looking into alternatives.' Currently the only viable alternative is Steamworks.

What are you talking about?

GFWL officially shuts down in July, but the game will still be playable.

Around the 12 minute mark if memory serves. Sounds like they're trying to do something special for PC? I immediately thought of modding tools, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Edit: 10:45 is when Brad asks about PC.

I'm fairly certain he's suggesting that they are taking some special precautions in the PC version to prevent cheating. At least that's what I inferred by his choice of words and tone of voice.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
is there no guide available at launch? i havent seen one anywhere
Unless you are just the collector type, if you are going to use a guide, don't bother with the physical print ones. The one for Dark Souls was crap, only good for basically the art and some early stat info that was quickly made irrelevant by patches. Online information is usually way more accurate, up to date and free.
ENB REALLY likes DkS so if he thinks this is better, that might not be healthy for him.

edit: Also, the DkS guide sucked ass because half the info was changed after the patches started rolling in weeks after launch.
Looks like yoshichan beat me to the punch in that other thread. But I do like ENB, I guess YMMV if you get the one he is writing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm fairly certain he's suggesting that they are taking some special precautions in the PC version to prevent cheating. At least that's what I inferred by his choice of words and tone of voice.

You're probably right and it's just wishful thinking/hearing on my part.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Unless you are just the collector type, if you are going to use a guide, don't bother with the physical print ones. The one for Dark Souls was crap, only good for basically the art and some early stat info that was quickly made irrelevant by patches.

It wasn't crap. It still covers the main game locations, covenant, items and it helps with some things despite the weapon data being obsolete and not having the DLC content.

sixghost

Unless you are just the collector type, if you are going to use a guide, don't bother with the physical print ones. The one for Dark Souls was crap, only good for basically the art and some early stat info that was quickly made irrelevant by patches. Online information is usually way more accurate, up to date and free.

Completely disagree with this. Most of the things that got changed were stuff like damage values on weapons or ratings for shields and armor. None of that stuff really matters unless you are min-maxing for PvP. Having stuff like maps with item locations, lists of item drops from enemies, and covenant info was completely worth it.

Hypron

I think it kinda sucks that guides will be available at launch. It would have been more interesting if the community had to work together to find all the secrets and stuff.

Vazra

I think it kinda sucks that guides will be available at launch. It would have been more interesting if the community had to work together to find all the secrets and stuff.

Not everyone will use the guide pretty much like DS1 which I bought and didnt touched until the second playthrough.

Hypron

Not everyone will use the guide pretty much like DS1 which I bought and didnt touched until the second playthrough.

Yeah but some people will have the guide and they will know about all the secrets. So the community as a whole won't need to find them. We won't be hearing stuff like "holyshit there's a Japanese player that found that of you do X and Y you get a unique weapon!", because all of this will already be in the guide and so discovering something like that will just be a personal achievement rather than a contribution to the community knowledge.

I wouldn't mind if the guide was delayed by two or so weeks.

Jito

Banned
Oh No! Why have a pre ordered on PC when I'm going to be waiting weeks or a month for it to release. I've really shot myself in the foot here.

mattp

Yeah but some people will have the guide and they will know about all the secrets. So the community as a whole won't need to find them. We won't be hearing stuff like "holyshit there's a Japanese player that found that of you do X and Y you get a unique weapon!", because all of this will already be in the guide and so discovering something like that will just be a personal achievement rather than a contribution to the community knowledge.

yeah i agree

i wish they would delay the guide a few months, even
oh well

March is so far away.

Only taking the 11th and 12th off as vacation days as opposed to the whole week because I'm a responsible adult.

Agree with this sentiment. Whether you choose to use the guide or not it's going to be really tough to dodge spoilers, and tougher still to combat people with a wider understanding of the game for the first few weeks.

Tawpgun

I was LTTP with DaS. Ended up abusing the wiki/OT a little too much.

Gonna go in to this fresh with everyone else. I'm prepared to die.

Bandai Namco still has the release date as March 14th for the PC version of Dark Souls

http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/product/dark-souls-ii-black-armour-edition/pc

Black Armor edition as well, that isn't available yet for pre-order in the states as far as I have found. PC Black Armor Edition is available for pre-order all over Europe.

That has to be an oversight though. I mean if the release date is actually the same there'd be no reason to have every representative be so cagey about even mentioning the PC version. Honestly at this stage I'll be happy to see it before may. :(

Vazra

That sticky white stuff will come as you play the game.
kbtV8zN.gif

Grief.exe

That has to be an oversight though. I mean if the release date is actually the same there'd be no reason to have every representative be so cagey about even mentioning the PC version. Honestly at this stage I'll be happy to see it before may. :(

Oh ya, definitely oversight on their part.

sixghost

On the other hand, the Dark Souls guide was released concurrently with the game, and there was still tons and tons of misinformation out there, even on the DS wikis. I remember hearing that you could avoid killing Sif if you unequipped your weapons for a certain amount of time after he started limping. For a while people were convinced that dexterity had an effect on your movement and roll speed. People thought that stength would speed up your attack animations as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK YES. They mapped jump to a button now (click R3)? Soooooo good!

This means sprinting + O will trigger an actual roll and not a stupid jump.

halfbeast

Banned
There damn well better be some sticky white stuff or PRE ORDER CANCELED!

there is. but it's smelly white stuff now.

FUCK YES. They mapped jump to a button now (click R3)? Soooooo good!

This means sprinting + O will trigger an actual roll and not a stupid jump.

holding up your shield while sprinting will prevent you from jumping. but having options is always good (I think it was L3 unless you want to press R3 with your nose).

Unlike the previous Dark Souls title, repeated deaths in Hollow form are penalized. The developers at From Software were aware of the fact that some players preferred to play in Hollow state, and this is to encourage people to return to their human form when they can.

One reason why people preferred to stay in Hollow form was to avoid invasions from enemy players. That is now not the case. Unless players have special items or within special situations that prevent players from invading, they will always be at the risk of black phantoms.

From the Destructoid preview. This is known information, but a general question about From's intent: if players can no longer avoid invasion by staying hollow then why penalize being hollow at all?

birdchili

why penalize being hollow at all?

in DkS, it stank to die with humanity, while human, or while on-your-way to recover a pile of souls, but if you were just hollow there was no real penalty for death.

this makes being human much more desirable, relatively... and makes every death something to fear a bit.

sixghost

From the Destructoid preview. This is known information, but a general question about From's intent: if players can no longer avoid invasion by staying hollow then why penalize being hollow at all?

It sounds like they want to reward players for becoming human more than punish players for being hollow. A big problem with Dark Souls was that most people who would invade other games were the ones building specifically for that type of thing, rather than people doing it as a normal part of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
in DkS, it stank to die with humanity, while human, or while on-your-way to recover a pile of souls, but if you were just hollow there was no real penalty for death.

this makes being human much more desirable, relatively... and makes every death something to fear a bit.

Well, you start back at the last bonfire, and you don't get wherever you were trying to go. Isn't that a sufficient penalty in that situation? Being able to spend all my souls and then start exploring a new area with little to lose was an enjoyable way for me to manage the tension of the game. Additional penalties wouldn't necessarily make it more fun.

They made the enemies powerful and challenging, and it's expected that the player will die a lot. There's no need to actively penalize death further than they already have.

I anticipate that I'll just have to get used to regarding my diminished hollow health as my "base health" and anything greater than that as a nice bonus. Worked for me in Demon's Souls - ultimately made me a better player for it.

halfbeast

Banned
Well, you start back at the last bonfire, and you don't get wherever you were trying to go. Isn't that a sufficient penalty in that situation? Being able to spend all my souls and then start exploring a new area with little to lose was an enjoyable way for me to manage the tension of the game. Additional penalties wouldn't necessarily make it more fun.

They made the enemies powerful and challenging, and it's expected that the player will die a lot. There's no need to actively penalize death further than they already have.

for the reason why they did that, let me quote a Demon's Souls review:

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.

Orayn

the fuck?
what was wrong with the DS/DaS controlls?

It has "Demon's Souls" controls in that you can dodge while sprinting now, since jump is mapped to L3 by default. You can change it back to Dark Souls style jumping if you want, though.

elohel

VAIRY NOICE

I just started Dark Souls last week and I totally understand all the praise this series gets. I unfortunately won't be getting DS2 upon release but I look forward to jumping into it later this year.

so jelly of that first play through

I can't seem to get my friends to play it :/

birdchili

This is From's reasoning, not mine. I understand what they're trying to do in-principal, but I don't know if it'll work. I'm not sure about all invasions all the time either... stay tuned for my grumpy impressions of this game that i will surely love in-spite of any mistakes they make.

Shengar

for the reason why they did that, let me quote a Demon's Souls review:

Hollow in Dark Souls is pretty flawed as gameplay concept for Souls game as far as it can go. In Demon's Souls soul form cut your hit point to half, and while you can reduce that to only quarter of it, that mean you must sacrifice one ring slot for the extra health. If you want full health and two ring slots, you must become human but doing so will grant you risks where the game become significantly harder if you keep dying as human.

Meanwhile, Hollow form in Dark Souls doesn't incur any penalty at all. You can still wear two rings with no health cut. You also immune from invaders while you still able to play coop with others. The only downside I can think off is being ugly, but that doesn't matter since most of the time I'm pretty sure people will wear armors like Elite Knight Armor or Dragonslayer Armor which covers all part of your body. There isn't really any incentive to become human beside summoning other players for coop at all.

Glad they fix that in Dark Souls II. Rightfully done also, considering become harder as you die more part in Demon's Souls tied to the hub world design of it, but they can turned it around and make it fit into Dark Souls "openworld" design.

Top Bottom