• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

Grief.exe

Edit: Brad on GB just said it sounded like it was going to be longer than a few weeks. If true that's a damn shame. So much for lead platform.

i3jKDUlcwgHWU.png

Edit: Brad on GB just said it sounded like it was going to be longer than a few weeks. If true that's a damn shame. So much for lead platform.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Another Souls I wont be able to play at the same time as the community, thanks Bamco :(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What time was the PC version discussed?

Around the 12 minute mark if memory serves. Sounds like they're trying to do something special for PC? I immediately thought of modding tools, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Edit: 10:45 is when Brad asks about PC.

Grief.exe

Around the 12 minute mark if memory serves. Sounds like they're trying to do something special for PC? I immediately thought of modding tools, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Edit: 10:45 is when Brad asks about PC.

The stream doesn't start until 15 minutes in on my end.

bronk

Banned
Its the newest boss u have to fight. Its a bat thats in a coma. U kind of just walk in and stab it it once because its in a coma.
I actually believed you. I was watching video waiting for them to show the bat. Haha im dumb

Bookoo

Well ya, the response Brian gave in the GB interview made it sound like it was farther away, but the interview on Gamespot made it seem like it wasn't going to be that long of a wait.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wait, where does that say that? I didn't have them in the network test.
In the Giantbomb video, he clearly rolled towards a spear attack and didn't get hurt.

Grief.exe

Well ya, the response Brian gave in the GB interview made it sound like it was farther away, but the interview on Gamespot made it seem like it wasn't going to be that long of a wait.

Can we get a link to the Gamespot interview, maybe throw it in the OP as well.

Grief.exe

Are you sure that's invincibility frames and not just the hitbox going under the spear?

Dark Souls sure makes it harder to tell due to quality of the hitboxes.

What time does it occur in the interview? Still watching Giantbomb stream trying to get to that portion.

I would probably trust the gamestop interview since that is direct information from the developers, rather than the Giantbomb which is secondary.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are you sure that's invincibility frames and not just the hitbox going under the spear?

Fuck you might be right... damn it!

Zeth

Praise the sun indeed. Really couldn't ask for better preview impressions. Everything sounds reassuringly represented from the first two games. I might have to pick this up on PS3 to march into darkness with the rest of the community, assuming the PC version is more than a week late. Of course I'll buy it again.

Bookoo

What time does it occur in the interview? Still watching Giantbomb stream trying to get to that portion.

I would probably trust the gamestop interview since that is direct information from the developers, rather than the Giantbomb which is secondary.

5m48s is when it starts. Who knows what "shortly thereafter" really means, but the way he said gives me hope it won't be an absurdly long wait.

He was the same person who interviewed in the GB interview and did come off a little bit more cagey about the release date.

KarmaCow

Ugh I was considering getting a used PS3 for Demon Souls and hearing about the PC version being ways off is making it even more tempting. But I don't want to give into Namco's artificial delaying bullshit. But I also don't want to spend a month listening to people talk about the game without being able to play it.

RK9039

Fuck you might be right... damn it!

It's possible that the window of invincibility frames on rolls might a lot smaller this time instead of it not being there at all. But from all the observations I've made, including actual hands on with the game, it doesn't appear to be there.

In your example of the GB video the guy rolled towards a spear attack going horizontally? I'm assuming he avoided the attack all together. It's a good thing that they got rid of invincibility frames, ever since Demon's Souls it has bugged me a lot.

Grief.exe

Ugh I was considering getting a used PS3 for Demon Souls and hearing about the PC version being ways off is making it even more tempting. But I don't want to give into Namco's artificial delaying bullshit. But I also don't want to spend a month listening to people talk about the game without being able to play it.

Its going to be especially difficult if people are calling it better than Dark Souls 1 or GOTG.

I'll wait, nothing but patient here.

I really hope the Giant Bomb folks are wrong about the 2 month plus wait for the PC version.

I can't believe two months.

Everything we have heard so far is 2 weeks, 3 maximum.

Its going to be especially difficult if people are calling it better than Dark Souls 1 or GOTG.

I'll wait, nothing but patient here.

I can't believe two months.

Everything we have heard so far is 2 weeks, 3 maximum.

If it really was just a few weeks after, why wouldn't they just give the release date?

Mupod

I don't think I could even last a week.

I'm about to go put my PS3 version preorder in right now I guess.

It is weird. No PC Logos in the trailers and if it was a few weeks after the console release wouldn't we have had a release date by now ? PS3 it is than. I will double dip when the game comes out for PC.

Grief.exe

If it really was just a few weeks after, why wouldn't they just give the release date?

I assume release dates are really difficult things to nail down effectively.

Publisher has to approve it, then have to notify the retail chains, marketing, advertising. What if they stumble upon a last minute bug in the console version that they have to put people on.

Once Dark Souls II for consoles goes gold, they will probably be able to nail down a date.

KarmaCow

Publishers usually delay PC games in fear of piracy. If Bamco is worried about that, they probably believe obfuscating the release date will get pirates to buy the console version or better yet, get the crazies to double up.

adlmjr

Neo Member
FROM said in an interview that I read somewhere sometime ago that there was no more invincibility frames...I wonder how it would work, like stopping the animation altogether or just damage..

Also, I wonder if backstabs during online play are still a thing... It was infuriating to get backstabbed while you were a mile away..

Orayn

Publishers usually delay PC games in fear of piracy. If Bamco is worried about that, they probably believe obfuscating the release date will get pirates to buy the console version or better yet, get the crazies to double up.

Or we could give From the benefit of the doubt since they're using a new engine, are still pretty new to PC in general, and want to make sure it's up to peoples' standards.

The PC version is also going to have a pretty limited retail release, so it could also be a matter of nailing down the details on that.

KarmaCow

Or we could give From the benefit of the doubt since they're using a new engine, are still pretty new to PC in general, and want to make sure it's up to peoples' standards.

The PC version is also going to have a pretty limited retail release, so it could also be a matter of nailing down the details on that.

I have little faith in Bamco, but sure.

Grief.exe

I got to the PC discussion at the 39 minute mark on Giantbomb.

A lot of questions on the PC release date, did they mention anything about that?

Ya, the interview we put up a couple hours ago addresses that. Sounds like, don't hold your breath. I don't know where I had gotten this idea that it was only a few weeks after, but reading between the lines it sounds like it might be a little while.

The thing they did say though was
A. From is doing the PC port. Learned a lot from the first one so PC people aren't going to get screwed on the technical side again.
B. The reason it is coming later is because they are taking the time to do it right.

I have a real hard time believing its not just an upgraded version of the PhyreEngine. Real hard time.

I'm in camp Wait.

If I can do it.. if others can do you... won't you?

I also don't want to feed the beast. If I have to wait for the definitive version, Namco can wait.

sixghost

I'm a little concerned with the block and stun animations. Maybe the character in the giantbomb b-roll just had a ton of poise, but there were a few times were he just didn't react at all to getting hit. Something about that just seemed off.

Orayn

I have a real hard time believing its not just an upgraded version of the phrye engine. Real hard time.

The overall look is different enough that I could believe it's a fork of the engine they used for 7th gen Armored Core games. PhyreEngine also has a flexible use license, so it could be pretty heavily overhauled but still use it as a base.

I'm a little concerned with the block and stun animations. Maybe the character in the giantbomb b-roll just had a ton of poise, but there were a few times were he just didn't react at all to getting hit. Something about that just seemed off.

The b-roll stuff seems to use pretty high level characters, so it was probably just poise.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Haha apparently there is in-game punishment for people who plug-pull when invaded. Babies better keep your consoles offline.

feel

Loved this video, everything about it looked much more "Souls" than other videos from DkS2, if that makes sense. HYPE!!

And even though I might buy a console version for the CE box, I will wait as much as I have to for the PC version to actually play it, fuck playing this in less than perfect conditions. I will just avoid DkS2 discussions and I couldn't care less if some invader knows the game way better than me by that point.

RK9039

FROM said in an interview that I read somewhere sometime ago that there was no more invincibility frames...I wonder how it would work, like stopping the animation altogether or just damage..

Also, I wonder if backstabs during online play are still a thing... It was infuriating to get backstabbed while you were a mile away..

You just get damaged this time, but I think it's also related to how much poise you have. So if your poise is low the attack will stop you as well as damage you mid-action, but with enough poise you can still continue with your action while taking damage (not 100% sure about that).

As for backstabs it's a lot more harder to do, and shields on your back will stop attacks coming from behind (depends on shield stats I'm guessing).

Zia

Sure hope Dark Souls II arrives on its "lead platform" before the original becomes (completely) unplayable on PC thanks to GFWL.

Top Bottom