• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

Skeletos311

The horse village reminds me of the Dothraki from Game of Thrones. I wonder if they eat horses and make alcohol from fermented horse milk.

deoee

It reminds me of FFXV that way. Every damn thread was about how poor the IQ was, with same kind of posts everytime. Finally after it came out it was all about the game.

We've been through this so many times with Zelda too. Yes the screenshots look bad, yes there's a weird haze sometimes... Please let's move on now lol. The previews are in 3 days, hopefully it'll focus on something else for a change.

What else do you want to discuss in a screenshot thread?
Can't people be disappointed and voice that?

Truly it reminds me a lot of XCX, to the point that I wonder if it's the same engine. Inconsistent texture quality, horrendous pop-in, bad geometry and IQ. It's particularly unfortunate that the Switch can't even run this at 1080p, which brings up concerns about how much further they will be able to push that device beyond what we are seeing here. I'm sure it's in part due to limitations of the originally intended system and engine, but nonetheless.

The Switch is a handheld. However Nintendo is attempting to position in the marketplace is irrelevant, it's a handheld that lets you output to a TV. Not a home console.

From this perspective, it's very technically impressive that they managed to match if not slightly best the performance of last gen systems, Wii U included. I'm not super clear on why the Switch is being judged as a straight home console. It's not. It's a PSP with an AV cable and detachable input devices.

Scrawnton

Once again, I feel lucky not being really updated in the most technically advanced graphics (PS4, XBONE, and especially PC), that I can appreciate games like this for what they are.

Yeah, in comparison to modern games BOTW is very technically limited. But if you are not used to this gen's graphics, the game actually looks pretty good, especially due to the great artstyle.
It's not about experiencing cutting edge graphics or not. I have a PS4 Pro and have played stunning games, and this game is still gorgeous as heck to me. Some people look at a game and will always find technical shortcomings, heck Horizon Zero Dawn has them (i still want a "Horizon Zero Fog" PS4Pro setting for it).

Some people want to look at a game and rip in to it because of the technology and some people want to look at a game and ponder its gameplay possibilities. It will always be like this.

What else do you want to discuss in a screenshot thread?
Can't people be disappointed and voice that?
Your talking about a game running on a tablet and a console that uses tech from ten years ago. You knew what this game was for about 9 months now. We are well past the "it looks ugly compared to PS4/Xbox one games" stage.

I think I'll ignore everyone talking technical. I know what I'm getting here while it's a shame that the game isn't on a PC where theoretically it can be better than literally anything on consoles right now, I can live with that.

The art direction of this game is some of the best I've seen from Nintendo yet. Dare I say this is Zelda's definitive style.

the GAF IQ and texture artwork armchair engineers/artists have already arrived. Instead of looking at screenshots, maybe check out some of the direct feed videos before you trash something? You don't play screenshots. It looks so much better here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEYTN-nDso

Yeah, it's not perfect, especially framerate wise, but to say it has ugly iq and ugly texture work is just plain wrong when its in motion.

Yeah, threw IQ on that digital foundry video is pretty good.

I don't know, this game sometimes looks like crap and sometimes amazing. I just hope the game just delivers more of the latter.

It's going to probably be one if not the best game of the year anyway.

Do I wish the game was cleaner? Of course, but It's not going to distract from my enjoyment one bit. Game's art direction is amazing.

guyssorry

Game looks incredible. I think back to playing SNES ALTTP, and this is what I have always wanted from a Zelda game. My #1 most hyped game ever, and I (seriously) doubt that I will be disappointed.

I'll never understand this lol. Every Zelda game, except maybe for ALTTP, has consistently amongst the best graphics and tech on their console and generation, not just Wind Waker. Breath of the Wild is no exception for Wii U, and it still looks like a decent port for Switch.

OoT had bad performance, Twilight Princess looked like shit, Skyward Sword too showed many limitations. They are very good developers and they do what they can with the hardware they have, but they demonstrated many times that having some rough textures or bad geometry wasn't a problem for them. They tend to lack in consistency, of course that doesn't mean that they don't push the hardware they work on.
Twilight Princess probably pushed the Gamecube, yet it looked pretty bad. I mean, have you seen the Death Mountain from the Hyrule Field? That was unacceptable even in 2006.
I just think that the Zelda team has its own priorities.

By the way, I personally think that BoTW looks amazing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Interesting, there is footage all over for the last 2 months of this game and some people are in here acting like they never seen this game before

dan2026

Interesting, there is footage all over for the last 2 months of this game and some people are in here acting like they never seen this game before

It somehow looks worse than the old footage.
At least to my eyes.

Like the screen it was taken on isn't calibrated right.

Rodin

OoT had bad performance, Twilight Princess looked like shit, Skyward Sword too showed many limitations. They are very good developers and they do what they can with the hardware they have, but they demonstrated many times that having some rough textures or bad geometry wasn't a problem for them. They tend to lack in consistency, of course that doesn't mean that they don't push the hardware they work on.
Twilight Princess probably pushed the Gamecube, yet it looked pretty bad. I mean, have you seen the Death Mountain from the Hyrule Field? That was unacceptable even in 2006.
I just think that the Zelda team has its own priorities.

The fact that you didn't like the artstyle doesn't mean that the game wasn't technically mighty impressive for the Gamecube and gen 6 in general. I don't remember the Death Mountain thing you're mentioning tbh, but i wouldn't be surprised if they had to make certain compromises.

OOT ran at ~20fps but that wasn't uncommon on N64 and it definitely wasn't a problem back then (probably because every animation was keyframed at 20fps or something like that). Of course now it wouldn't be acceptable, and in fact the game runs at 30fps on 3DS.

Still, i don't get your revisionism about the Zelda team's technical proficiency, despite them having other priorities.

I don't think that will happen, but I am hoping some of the performance issues (when docked) get ironed out with a patch or two.

Have Nintendo ever patched for anything other than new content or to fix game breaking bugs? They never fixed the MK8 59 fps bug on the Wii U, though apparently that's fixed on the Switch.

This is an all-around terrible screenshot. Not only texture-wise, but geometry.

I think this game is going to shine when played on a 6 inch screen, not a 50+ inch TV.

I think most Switch games will, thats why I don't agree with NOA to market it as a home console first. This game will look spectacular on the device itself.

Orbis

I mean, there's no denying that there are aspects of the visuals that are being held back by hardware limitations. But the game looks beautiful regardless. The art direction is top notch and the overall package works.

I have an overclocked 1070 in my PC and a PS4 Pro, but this game still looks fantastic to me and I'm on it Day One. They are pulling off magic on a Tegra here.

Also this thing is a fucking handheld too. I don't think I'll appreciate that fact until I'm sitting on the train to work playing a full blown Zelda.

I wonder how much worse this will look on Wii U, will it only be the resolution difference? I'm still contemplating whether to get Switch for this or play first on Wii U.

vRUgYYf.png

ALBW Hylian:

get
defensive

protect
yourself

I can barely grasp my first language, let alone a fictional language in a video game.

Kudos, bloody Kudos.

I wonder how much worse this will look on Wii U, will it only be the resolution difference? I'm still contemplating whether to get Switch for this or play first on Wii U.

Wii U is has [less] draw distance, lower texture quality, frames are a bit more unstable, and other such technical aspects. Same general game though.

The fact that you didn't like the artstyle doesn't mean that the game wasn't technically mighty impressive for the Gamecube and gen 6 in general. I don't remember the Death Mountain thing you're mentioning tbh, but i wouldn't be surprised if they had to make certain compromises.

OOT ran at ~20fps but that wasn't uncommon on N64 and it definitely wasn't a problem back then (probably because every animation was keyframed at 20fps or something like that). Of course now it wouldn't be acceptable, and in fact the game runs at 30fps on 3DS.

Still, i don't get your revisionism about the Zelda team's technical proficiency.

Pushing the hardware isn't some technical achievement, finding the right balance to make something eye pleasing is. I'm not saying that they are not good, they are very very good, I'm just saying that their games have shown many times some big limitations that anyone could catch, even back then, so it's very easy to find bad looking geometry in a Zelda game. It's never been their primary focus. I mean, BoTW runs on a Wii U, and if we compare that to a PS3, we may look at GTA V or Just Cause 2 and start comparing those. (not that I would do it, since I'm the first who doesn't care)

PrimeBeef

It's obviously not impressive by technical standards but like most Nintendo games it really shines in motion due to it's artstyle.

Remember that even in docked mode, Switch is a full generational leap (10x) weaker in GPU numbers than PS4 Pro.

According to DF there are some pretty technically impressive things going on in the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.

your obsessed with graphics. This game is a visual monster if you consider the hardware its running on. its a handheld formfactor device.

if you consider the fact that the wii U looks worse, this shines even brighter for switch considering wii u is multiple times switch's size, consumes 10 times the power and is a dedicated console device

13ruce

Banned
Game looks super fantastic in motion so why are people worried?
This is like 3DS or Wii U games all over gain you have to see them in motion.
Watch the digital foundry or GameXplain footage game looks pretty good.

Also why do i prefer BotW over Horizon Zero Dawn graphics? Well i'm sick of all those realistic artstyle games some are quite good but it starts to bore me to death.

I am still getting Horizon so no i don't hate the game and yes it's a technical masterpiece so was Uncharted 4.

It's why i also prefer GTA V graphics they are not super realistic like GTA IV for example. (they are more colorfull thats what i mean and i like that better)

beautiful design and artwork but the image quality is shocking, just like twilight princess and skyward sword i'm going to be looking at jagged faces everywhere.

To make matters worse half of neogaf is going to be playing through CEMU emulator on a PC and posting crystal clear 4k screenshots in the OT, just like they did with skyward sword....

DSN2K

its beautiful and ugly all at the same time, I think with a Res bump and some AF it would look substantially better.

SiDCrAzY

I'm not a huge Nintendo fan/defender, I haven't truly enjoyed a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. With that said I'm really liking these screens and can't wait to play it on my Nintendo Vita 2.

Top Bottom