• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars Battlefront Coverage (Oct 5)

The hero battle look awful. Also they can't deflect blaster bolts with lightsabers? In the first video the player just keeps walking into them.

Man I'm not so sure about this game anymore...

Janky and unpolished for sure based on this videos which are 2 of the reasons I could never bring myself to get into the original.

Boke1879

Game looks so much better in first person with good motion blur. Goddamn.

I wish it was a 60fps vid though.

Yup. Looks really good and looks to play well. I don't even mind the 3rd person. It's just Vader and Luke look really janky. Mostly because they are Saber wielding characters. I'm sure Fett will translate well in this gameplay.

Nemic77

Looks great. Can't wait until the beta drops.

I checked hero gameplay from two youtubers and I have to agree that jackfrag's videos make it look very bad. Not so much on Battlefrontupdate's videos. It looks like the first youtuber was just mashing buttons senselessly... No wonder it looks so janky.

SummitAve

Banned
It looks alright. I don't remember that many hero vs hero fights in the previous games so that interaction isn't as important as the heroes ability to effortlessy kill a bunch of random npcs before getting blasted yourself.

PrinceKee

Watching this clunky light saber duel just makes me want a new Jedi Knight :-(. Hell I think I might even take a new Force Unleashed. Anything with Light saber combat on current gen consoles...

singhr1

How would you handle it? Completely change the mechanics for heroes? Can you tell me a shooter that completely changed things up when it comes to melee based characters? (Mainly because there are no melee based character in shooters?)

This is Battlefront. This is what fans of the game wanted.

https://youtu.be/YeiZH8MxcnE - Some Battlefront II gameplay.

Well yeah, if you don't want to put the effort into making the Heroes fight with proper melee combat then don't put them into the game.

This has the Battlefront in title, yes. Don't go around saying "this is what fans of the game wanted" without playing the full game first. There are plenty of "fans" still angry about the lack of space combat and what not.

Doesn't look so good. The 3rd person stuff, the heroes and aiming all seems pretty rough. Maybe it was a mistake to make this game so much like Battlefront 1/2. I would have been happy with an improved Battlefield: Star Wars and a proper campaign. Devs need to stop listening to "hardcore fans". They are more often than not just a vocal minority, blinded by nostalgia. DICE has a concept that works and is popular, why risk it? Sigh.

Starviper

Noticing a bit of janky movement as well, but it's not that bad really.

I really really like that 'haze' effect from heat. Was watching one of the links and noticed one of the walkers in the distance looked a bit fuzzy because of the heat haze due to an explosion towards the middle.

All the fighters flying around really make this look//feel like a proper star wars game, even if there aren't space battles (yet..)

EDIT: And the heroes do have some pretty bad collisions with the environment. Lightsabers going through terrain/etc. Ah well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well yeah, if you don't want to put the effort into making the Heroes fight with proper melee combat then don't put them into the game.

This has the Battlefront in title, yes. Don't go around saying "this is what fans of the game wanted" without playing the full game first. There are plenty of "fans" still angry about the lack of space combat and what not.

Yet those fans will buy anyway. =x

Also, Jackfrags videos weren't very good. The other videos showing off hero combat were better plus there is a Beta this week. Can try it ourselves.

There are never much hero vs. hero fighting in Battlefront anyways and the fact they have a saber clash is already an upgrade. lol

Again, what is "proper" melee combat in a game like this?

I'm still betting this doesn't release in any real stable form since it's EA after all, but this still looks awesome. It's a modern Battlefront which is what I wanted (take the good with the bad regarding the shit they will chop out to resell).

Gemüsepizza;180774458 said:
"Fans of the game". Who are those people? It has been a decade since the last game. People have moved on. The industry has moved on. DICE should make a modern fun game without catering to a dubious group of "fans", which might not even exist.

Yeah, you're right. No one remembers Battlefront games.

see5harp

This game comes out later this month? Why are they doing a beta this late? I might just put this on the gamefly queue because damn for a game with no campaign, there is a shockingly little amount of polish there.

EDIT: Mid November.

Boke1879

Looks great. Can't wait until the beta drops.

I checked hero gameplay from two youtubers and I have to agree that jackfrag's videos make it look very bad. Not so much on Battlefrontupdate's videos. It looks like the first youtuber was just mashing buttons senselessly... No wonder it looks so janky.

You're right. After watching those vids it doesn't look nearly as bad as the first videos lol. It's still going to look and feel a bit janky simply because that sort of combat most likely won't translate well in a shooter game.

How would you handle it? Completely change the mechanics for heroes? Can you tell me a shooter that completely changed things up when it comes to melee based characters? (Mainly because there are no melee based character in shooters?)

This is Battlefront. This is what fans of the game wanted.

https://youtu.be/YeiZH8MxcnE - Some Battlefront II gameplay.

"Fans of the game". Who are those people? It has been a decade since the last game. People have moved on. The industry has moved on. DICE should make a modern fun game without catering to a dubious group of "fans", which might not even exist.

bombshell

I've yet to play a battlefront game so this could be my first. Looked a bit boring from the game-play shown. Shame there's no single player to get me up to speed a bit.

There is a single player component. It's called Missions and can be played offline solo, offline 2 player splitscreen co-op or online 2 player co-op.

The only mission type they've revealed so far is Survival.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/missions

Oshimai

Pretty underwhelmed by this video. Obviously, I wasn't expecting Jedi Outcast/Academy lightsaber duels, but that was just crap. From what I've seen, I won't be picking this up day one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game comes out later this month? Why are they doing a beta this late? I might just put this on the gamefly queue because damn for a game with no campaign, there is a shockingly little amount of polish there.

November 18th

This is actually earlier than DICE usually does it's open betas. Generally they're only like 2 weeks before.

Thewonandonly

The one thing it looks like from this video is it doesn't look like it takes much skill. This game looks like you just run around and shoot anything that moves and it doesn't really look fun. Also the hero combat looks really boring and unfun. Will still give the beta a chance of course but I might not be getting 4 shooters this year and just stick with halo, siege, and blobs.

GavinUK86

Any saber fighting gifs?

GDquT4S.gif

Betas this late server three purposes. One is obviously to demo the game to everyone. Another is netcode stress testing. Even with the game gold or almost gold, the network side of things can be fixed all the way up to release. The final is preparing client side fixes for day one and immediate post launch patches.

Gemüsepizza;180774458 said:
No, we haven't. There is still a relatively large active fan base for the original games. Also the industry moved to popcorn reward based shooters that mean nothing.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
There's so little recoil on the machine gun type weapons, players can seemingly just hold down the fire button and point it in the direction of enemies. That's disappointing on two different levels - managing recoil is fun, and adds a lot of skill, but I also don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies.

singhr1

Yet those fans will buy anyway. =x

Also, Jackfrags videos weren't very good. The other videos showing off hero combat were better plus there is a Beta this week. Can try it yourself.

There are never much hero vs. hero fighting in Battlefront anyways and the fact they have a saber clash is already an upgrade. lol

Again, what is "proper" melee combat in a game like this?

For sure, I will be definitely trying it out this week.

Proper combat obviously doesn't have to be Force Unleashed but for how much DICE has gotten the look of the game right, it feels like a bad blemish that infects the remainder of what seems to be a great audio/visual product. The claustrophobic camera angle doesn't help much as well.

see5harp

Betas this late server three purposes. One is obviously to demo the game to everyone. Another is netcode stress testing. Even with the game gold or almost gold, the network side of things can be fixed all the way up to release. The final is preparing client side fixes for day one and immediate post launch patches.

One might say that Dice doesn't have a sterling past when it comes to big launches though. I can't remember the last game they shipped that worked at launch going back to Battlefield 2 on PC. One might infer that perhaps a change to the way they work might benefit everyone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's so little recoil on the machine gun type weapons, players can seemingly just hold down the fire button and point it in the direction of enemies. That's disappointing on two different levels - managing recoil is fun, and adds a lot of skill, but I also don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies.

What Star Wars did you watch?

One might say that Dice doesn't have a sterling past when it comes to big launches though. I can't remember the last game they shipped that worked at launch going back to Battlefield 2 on PC. One might infer that perhaps a change to the way they work might benefit everyone.
Their games have always been buggy at launch, but they've never been unplayable. Even Battlefield 4 obstently worked on release. Considering the smaller scale of this game compared to Battlefield 4 and the longer time they've had to work on it (plus I'd imagine a bigger budget too) I'm a bit more confident in its launch state.

No, we haven't. There is still a relatively large active fan base for the original games.

The Battlefront fan base is just a rather meaningless minority compared to the Battlefield and general Star Wars fan base.

Also the industry moved to popcorn reward based shooters that mean nothing.

What does that even mean? Jesus.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Skipped around in the PS Access video and liked what I saw.

Won't be watching Jackfrags as that person lied to his audience in the past about EA games.

Kintaro

Gemüsepizza;180775284 said:
The Battlefront fan base is just a rather meaningless minority compared to the Battlefield and general Star Wars fan base.

What does that even mean? Jesus.

So, explain why they didn't call it Battlefield: Star Wars? Instead going with the meaningless Battlefront? I mean, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars behind this game. Surely Battlefront is a mistake as it's meaningless and its fanbase is nothing. The name is worthless. Why do it.

Unless....

Nah.

Nemic77

You're right. After watching those vids it doesn't look nearly as bad as the first videos lol. It's still going to look and feel a bit janky simply because that sort of combat most likely won't translate well in a shooter game.

That's true. I'm currently replaying the Jedi Knight series and have played a bit of Jedi Academy online. Sure, the saber duels have much more depth in them but they could be discribed as looking janky too.

Until a melee focused game comes out I just don't see saber duels looking anything like the movies.

see5harp

Their games have always been buggy at launch, but they've never been unplayable. Even Battlefield 4 obstently worked on release. Considering the smaller scale of this game compared to Battlefield 4 and the longer time they've had to work on it (plus I'd imagine a bigger budget too) I'm a bit more confident in its launch state.

Any game that crashes directly to the dashboard and then deletes campaign saves is pretty much broken. Hell, I can't even tell you the first time I saw actual their big destruction stuff. It had to be a month after the game came out.

Euron

Ugh. I can't wait for the beta and all but for some reason the game just looks so empty and unpolished. It hurts because the game looks so awesome visually and I'd love to play a great Star Wars game with Episode 7 coming out in two months but...I just don't know.

No way I'm buying this at release. Not only is there a concern about the state it will launch in, I'm pretty concerned about the content as well. Twelve maps isn't a good amount at all for a game without a campaign. As much as I like going into games blind, it's a bit concerning that we haven't really seen any multiplayer maps other than Hoth and the Sullest footage we just received. Plus I'm not too keen on the whole hero aspect of the game. Custom servers would have alleviated this issue and given players more choice but that's not happening now.

Still, this game has so much going for it that I'd hate to see it fail but I just can't help but doubt it at this point.

Thewonandonly

Any game that crashes directly to the dashboard and then deletes campaign saves is pretty much broken. Hell, I can't even tell you the first time I saw actual their big destruction stuff. It had to be a month after the game came out.

Right dice royaly fucked up battlefield 4 and still haven't gained my trust yet. I mean 3 months after the game came out and i have been playing it for a while because it was still fun and the only game that wasn't a racer i owned then, all my multiplayer stuff gets deleted and i have to start all over again with everything. I deleted the game after that and never looked back.

liquidtmd

Banned
I was very hyped on the initial videos but every subsequent video, my hypes deflated a little.

On these...Yeah not Day 1 by a long shot

Kintaro

Until a melee focused game comes out I just don't see saber duels looking anything like the movies.

Plus, this movies? The shitty dancing Prequel saber duel shit? The awkward Original Trilogy battles (sans Empire because Vader was baller as fuck in Empire)? Clone Wars?

Knights of the Old Republic was the closest thing to me as the look of the battle struck as a great balance. But its a RPG.

Unless EA takes a chance at Bushido Blade: Star Wars, I have no idea what light saber duels should look like. =P

I don't really think it's that's janky--I mean, there is some jank in third person anims, but I always expect some of that. Certainly not any less janky that BF1/BF2.

However, it just seems kinda plain. Maybe it will be different once you have new abilities or loadouts.

Looks beautiful, though.

Boke1879

This is probably VERY wishful thinking on my part. But we know this game will clearly have DLC.

My hope is that they visit some of the places from the prequels. Geonosis, Coruscant, Naboo etc.

Top Bottom