• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars Battlefront Coverage (Oct 5)

Animations are bad... Really bad. And the game looks really boring.. Hype decreased. DICE you can do better than this, pleaese. Graphically the game looks really good, and the sounds effects are amazing.

This is probably VERY wishful thinking on my part. But we know this game will clearly have DLC.

My hope is that they visit some of the places from the prequels. Geonosis, Coruscant, Naboo etc.

I would be ok with that, but I just cant see it happen. Since Disney has taken over, it feels like they want to abandon anything prequel related. Clone Wars was cancelled, and the only prequel related material Disney has put out was a novel about Asajj Ventress just to tie up any loose ends.

So, explain why they didn't call it Battlefield: Star Wars? Instead going with the meaningless Battlefront? I mean, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars behind this game. Surely Battlefront is a mistake as it's meaningless and its fanbase is nothing. The name is worthless. Why do it.

Unless....

Nah.

Nostalgia. This also helps them to get away with shit us gamers would normally not accept in 2015. For example not having a single player campaign. "We wanted to stay true to the original games!" Yeah sure. The true reason is that dev time was limited and including a campaign would have increased costs. It's a very convenient decision for them.

Bombless

The JeuxVideo.com preview says pretty much what I expected : fantastic graphics and sound but boring gameplay wise. They mention the Titanfall effect : some great ideas shot down by way too little content (game modes and weapons/equipment).

Ghost23

First person looks so much better. Also, I'm fine with the Jedi animations since that's just how battlefront is. I'm just worried about being bored. Something about BF2 made it much more exciting.

viHuGi

Banned
Looks so bad i dont even want to believe it.

With Halo 5 and Black Ops 3 coming out this game will have a hard time, seriously DICE just make Bad Company 3 you are better than this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think for me what hits hardest, even if it's been obvious for awhile, is how small and limited the scope of play looks. The infantry combat seems simple but also plenty fun, which is why I'm still keen to play and, if I'm happy with the beta, will look into buying. It doesn't look like a complete Battlefield clone in infantry play, and the presentation/feedback seems satisfying. It looks like one of those games you can boot up for a short yet fun round of sci fi shootbang, a little bit like what I used to do with Team Fortress 2 and Payload, which was a mode that had a nice balance of play and round time for me.

But yeah, the actual scope of the game does seem a bit flat. Limited vehicle options, none of which have demonstrated themselves as impressive or appealing. Flight combat looks pretty fucking dull and just kinda there, to be honest. Hero stuff also doesn't look particularly impressive, just a bit flat and underwhelming in animation and presentation. My gut says this won't have much in the ways of heroes, vehicles, or even maps.

So yeah, while it seems like a pretty fun infantry Star Wars game, it also gives me the impression of a game working within a fairly limited scope of play and options. And while this is expected for a game pushing to release this year with no concessions, and DICE made it clear early on this isn't "Battlefront 3", and the production requirements for a modern Battlefront 3 would be huge, it's still a bit of a disappointing point of comparison to see what Battlefront 1, 2, and the scrapped 3 stuff was doing versus what DICE's vision is.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gemüsepizza;180776222 said:
Nostalgia. This also helps them to get away with shit us gamers would normally not accept in 2015. For example not having a single player campaign. "We wanted to stay true to the original games!" Yeah sure. The true reason is that dev time was limited and including a campaign would have increased costs. It's a very convenient decision for them.

Nostalgia. Hundreds of millions of dollars off Nostalgia.

Also, I think you grossly overestimate what gamers "accept" in 2015. Or in general.

With Halo 5 and Black Ops 3 coming out this game will have a hard time, seriously DICE just make Bad Company 3 you are better than this.

This game will sell like 5 million in a week. 10 million+ by Christmas.

Nemic77

Plus, this movies? The shitty dancing Prequel saber duel shit? The awkward Original Trilogy battles (sans Empire because Vader was baller as fuck in Empire)? Clone Wars?

Knights of the Old Republic was the closest thing to me as the look of the battle struck as a great balance. But its a RPG.

Unless EA takes a chance at Bushido Blade: Star Wars, I have no idea what light saber duels should look like. =P

I'd say the online duels in Jedi Knight currently look like an even more shitty version of the Prequel Trilogy duels, soo... I'd be happy if one day the duels from ESB and ROTJ could be reproduced in a game. Let's see what they come with in The Force Awakens. Can't be worse than the prequels.

Bushido Blade: Star Wars sounds like fun, but not something I would expect in a Battlefront. Just Like I don't expect Fighter Squadron to play like X-Wing Alliance, unfortunately.

Danneee

I can't fathom how everything I see from this looks like the exact same thing over and over. Sure, different textures and backdrops but the same shooting, running over lightly mountaineous and rocky terrain and the occasional ship flying overhead.
Not so sure about thus anymore.

I have to say, that force choke was never so satisfying than that first jackfrag video where Vader does it to that guy that humps Luke. Just perfect.

I think for me what hits hardest, even if it's been obvious for awhile, is how small and limited the scope of play looks. The infantry combat seems simple but also plenty fun, which is why I'm still keen to play and, if I'm happy with the beta, will look into buying. It doesn't look like a complete Battlefield clone in infantry play, and the presentation/feedback seems satisfying. It looks like one of those games you can boot up for a short yet fun round of sci fi shootbang, a little bit like what I used to do with Team Fortress 2 and Payload, which was a mode that had a nice balance of play and round time for me.

But yeah, the actual scope of the game does seem a bit flat. Limited vehicle options, none of which have demonstrated themselves as impressive or appealing. Flight combat looks pretty fucking dull and just kinda there, to be honest. Hero stuff also doesn't look particularly impressive, just a bit flat and underwhelming in animation and presentation. My gut says this won't have much in the ways of heroes, vehicles, or even maps.

So yeah, while it seems like a pretty fun infantry Star Wars game, it also gives me the impression of a game working within a fairly limited scope of play and options. And while this is expected for a game pushing to release this year with no concessions, and DICE made it clear early on this isn't "Battlefront 3", and the production requirements for a modern Battlefront 3 would be huge, it's still a bit of a disappointing point of comparison to see what Battlefront 1, 2, and the scrapped 3 stuff was doing versus what DICE's vision is.

Bingo.

Xater

I wonder what people expect the lightsaber in this shooter to be like. Do people expect it to play like a character action game? I think it looks fine what it is: a special power that gets activated for a short time.

I'm still positive because of what I have already played of this. I will see if my opinion changes after the beta.

Gemüsepizza;180776222 said:
Why is a campaign required in a multiplayer game?

Why is a plethora of pointless unlocks, awards, and bloated mechanics considered progress?

What gives you the authority to speak as to whags acceptible for "us gamers"?

Boke1879

Eh I think the game will be fine. As long as it works it'll be fine. It'll have no issue selling a lot.

My first impression of the Hero stuff is that it's quite unappealing. My first thought was that I really don't want to play as these characters. The UI is still very disappointing. It's generic looking, and it hinders the overall look of the game. It takes up so much space, especially on the bottom right.

The infantry stuff looks good, about as good as I expected. We'll see how it plays in a couple days.

Nostalgia. Hundreds of millions of dollars off Nostalgia.

Also, I think you grossly overestimate what gamers "accept" in 2015. Or in general.

I am not saying that this game will flop. I just think that maybe it could have been better if they had been a bit more bold.

Why is a campaign required in a multiplayer game?

Why is a plethora of pointless unlocks, awards, and bloated mechanics considered progress?

What gives you the authority to speak as to whags acceptible for "us gamers"?

MP games sold at full price, without a campaign, usually flop (TItanfall, Evolve,...). And most big AAA MP games include a campaign and unlock systems. There is a reason why this happens.

see5harp

Shit makes me hype for Halo 5

Such incredibly flat and one dimensional game design.

Yea, that's exactly what I thought watching the videos. I was really actually considering getting both for my holiday shootbang but man this seems so unpolished and the entire package seems so narrow.

bombshell

The JeuxVideo.com preview says pretty much what I expected : fantastic graphics and sound but boring gameplay wise. They mention the Titanfall effect : some great ideas shot down by way too little content (game modes and weapons/equipment).

How can they complain about a lack of game modes and weapons when what they played had most of the modes unavailable (and most likely also the weapons)?

hydruxo

Hero gameplay looked terrible. There was delay in each one of Luke's movements and there was no hit detection when he hit someone with the saber.

The normal gameplay looks good though, and that's all I care about.

Boke1879

Gemüsepizza;180777116 said:
I am not saying that this game will flop. I just think that maybe it could have been better if they had been a bit more bold.

MP Games sold at full price, without a campaign, usually flop (TItanfall, Evolve,...). And most big AAA MP games include a campaign. There is a reason why this happens.

Come one man. COD may have a campaign but people don't play it for that.

This game could have been much more. but lets be real. They had to have it out for the movie. Personally I'm fine with the amount of maps and game modes because I know I'm most likely going to get good mileage out of the game. I can see other people's concerns.

No way this game flops though. The star Wars brand is behind it and EA and Disney will no doubt push this hard this holiday and the many games after it.

DTKT

That was my fear since the beginning and everything seems to point to a very shallow game.

Joco

I want this to be amazing, but I continue to have doubts while watching gameplay videos.

Not bothered by "janky" light saber footage though. Don't know why people expected anything else in that regard.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Mostly agreed but thankfully I wasn't expecting anything more than a simple, fun, casual, quick action shooter from this so I'm not disappointed. My biggest concern will be to see if DICE pulls off the launch. I'm hoping the more limited scope allows them to polish the core of the game well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I
MP Games sold at full price, without a campaign, usually flop (TItanfall, Evolve,...). And most big AAA MP games include a campaign and unlock systems. There is a reason why this happens.

Didn't we just have a thread where Titanfall sold 10 million units? Has a sequel coming? And is probably one of the most influential shooters since its release (considering how many shooters have stolen from it since release?). Total flop.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
MP games sold at full price, without a campaign, usually flop (TItanfall, Evolve,...). And most big AAA MP games include a campaign and unlock systems. There is a reason why this happens.
Using Titanfall as an example of a flop seems, let's say..., idiotic as fuck.

No offense but the game in general doesn't look very good. The maps are too big for only 20 players on each side. should have been 64 like bf4. The character animations don't look too hot, hero gameplay looks bad, One thing they did get right though is sound. Sound direction and design of this game is phenomenal from what i heard. The game looks very bland overall thought and not finished. Guess we will find out on the 8th. all this is IMO ofcourse. This game is certainly a step back from BattleFront 2 imo. This game so far seems to me like BattleFront 2.5 with update graphics minus space battles and more hero variations( more heroes will probably be added or not shown).

Xater

That's potentially a legitimate complain. I could see the amount of content being a problem. Definitely felt the same about Titanfall and Evolve. For MP only games they really didn't deliver enough stuff considering they didn't come with a campaign. At least for the price they are asking for it might not be enough.

Boke1879

Didn't we just have a thread where Titanfall sold 10 million units? Has a sequel coming? And is probably one of the most influential shooters since its release (considering how many shooters have stolen from it since release?). Total flop.

Are we sure TF sold 10 million? The tweet just said "celebrating" 10 million. Which many in the thread started to assume 10 million users. Which is a great feat in itself.

ryseing

Gemüsepizza;180774458 said:
"Fans of the game". Who are those people? It has been a decade since the last game. People have moved on. The industry has moved on. DICE should make a modern fun game without catering to a dubious group of "fans", which might not even exist.

FFS a Battlefront sequel was one of the most requested things in the industry.

My love of the first two games is the only thing keeping me interested in this one despite my generally negative impressions so far.

Blacks Ops 3 looks better than this, which is what was not expecting to say. The shooting looks very mediocre and janky movements :(

Is it possible for a delay until next year or does this game really has to be released near the movie?

Top Bottom