• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars Battlefront Coverage (Oct 5)

Wait this game don't have old republic and trade federation? Only 2 factions? Rebels and empire? Lol super fail. Even bf1 had 4 factions.
Jking aside seriously wats up with that?

MMaRsu

Banned
Wait this game don't have old republic and trade federation? Only 2 factions? Rebels and empire? Lol super fail. Even bf1 had 4 factions.

Quick and easy cash in ( aka BF4 mod TC )

Game looks super dissapointing. Just like most of EA'S efforts this fall.

Leyasu

Banned
Gotta be said, but if this wasn't battlefront, no one would give a fuck after seeing that.

I had no intention of giving dice my money after bf4. And seeing that footage just convinces me it is the right decision.

Its funny how people seem to not understand how some people can be upset with no prequel era. Millions of kids grew up with that era just as much grew up with the original, not to mention both Clone Wars tv shows are very much loved within the community along with the previous Battlefront games having the era. The clone wars not being included is very annoying and people need to let go of their hard on for the originals and see that there are fans of the clone wars and it's exclusion from this game is a minus not a positive.

Plus the prequel era lends itself soooo much better than the empire era for battlefront. Do you want to take the small handful of battles in the OT and turn them into a game, ignoring the fact that the rebels were almost always outclassed by the empire, or do you want to take the dozen of so battles in episode iii alone where both sides have heavy weapons to throw at each other?

Plus clones are like the military dudebros of star wars. They're fun to both play as and kill.

They literately just released Disney infinity 3 which had a bunch of prequel era content, hell Ahsoka being one of the big faces of it, not to mention Rebels Season 2 has a lot of call backs to the Clone wars. So your wrong about them ignoring it, are they putting aside for the new trilogy? Of course, but they are certainly not pretending it doesn't exist.
Maybe they aren't ignoring it, but there is a good reason DICE is.

The prequels were literally filmed on green screens. There are no props or locations to pull the photogrammery from.

MiguelItUp

After watching more footage it does concern me that it may come off as fairly bland and / or repetitive. I mean sure, it's a basic FPS with a Star Wars skin on it. But it looks like it could get pretty boring pretty quickly. I really hope there's enough content in this to keep it going.

LoveCake

Is this going to be sort of like Destiny where you jump in & interact with other people & build up your characters skills or is it going to be like CoD/Battlefield where everything is just random & everyone for themselves?

RyanW

It's one thing if the game is broken at launch like BF4 and hopefully that isn't the case. It's a whole different thing if there isn't enough content there at launch to sustain a population which again hopefully isn't the case and it becomes a quality over quantity situation.

Yes, and as the trade federation your goals will be to strategically place blockades and discussing a treaty with the jedis. All in 1st person.

Why don't we not compare this to an 11 year old game, realize and accept that this is a reboot of a series that is now created by the creators of the original series that Battlefront was directly inspired by, and be happy that we have a full blown war style Star Wars game with beautiful visuals, 60fps gameplay, authentic sound design, lightsaber and air combat, and split screen multiplayer and co-op.

It looks brilliant. A little wonky around the edges with some animation issues and some iffy hero on hero combat, but nothing that will ruin the game.

Can't we just have fun with a game and stop worrying about all the politics and accusations of "cut content!" and things?

Then maybe take that up with Disney, who themselves are completely ignoring the prequels. Why wouldn't they anyway? The sequel trilogy has nothing to do with the prequels and the change in style would be confusing for new fans.
Nope. Lucasfilm have definitely not been ignoring the prequel era. The prequel trilogy also used a shitload of models.

Drewfonse

I paid $30 for a year of Ea access, and between SWB and the new need for speed, it will have saved me $90 total. 10 hrs will be plenty for me unless something dramatically improves.

Yes, and as the trade federation your goals will be to strategically place blockades and discussing a treaty with the jedis. All in 1st person.
And as the Naboo, Jar Jar Binks is your hero, using his power as an offensive racial stereotype to dominate the battlefield through sheer stupidity.

Do people really forget how awful the prequels are? They should just be ignored and we can move on with a lot of dlc from episode 7.

And as the Naboo, Jar Jar Binks is your hero, using his power as an offensive racial stereotype to dominate the battlefield through sheer stupidity.

Do people really forget how awful the prequels are? They should just be ignored and we can move on with a lot of dlc from episode 7.
A lot of people do forget how God awful they are. Horrible dialog, stiff acting, terrible pacing, terrible story.

Oh i haven't forgotten...But Darth Maul, literally the only good thing to come of it.

How exactly is Jar Jar a racial stereotype? I'm genuinely curious. I just always looked at him as the village idiot.

MADGAME

Going to say it again, I'm so confused by the sniper rifle. It looks and sounds like a traditional bullet rifle. What business does it have in this game? Should be a pew-pew sniper.

bombshell

It's one thing if the game is broken at launch like BF4 and hopefully that isn't the case. It's a whole different thing if there isn't enough content there at launch to sustain a population which again hopefully isn't the case and it becomes a quality over quantity situation.

There's 7 announced MP modes, with "more to be announced".

It's going to launch with 12 maps and 2 more coming for free early December with the Jakku DLC.

Then there's Missions, playable "offline, via couch co-op or online co-op."

Some seem to think it's going to lack content, but I don't share that sentiment.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was really hyped for this (even preordered the limited edition Vader PS4) but these videos make the game look pretty boring and repetitive.

I'm hoping I end up enjoying the beta and that the clean up the rough edges (that terrible Vader voice) by release.

If not then I guess I'll end up playing Halo 5 for longer than I expected...

Going to say it again, I'm so confused by the sniper rifle. It looks and sounds like a traditional bullet rifle. What business does it have in this game? Should be a pew-pew sniper.
To be fair sniper rifle like that exist in sw. The tusken raiders use them.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, no SP almost sealed the deal for me as far as not buying this game, but that Luke video pushed me all the way and has saved me some money.

I also just really don't like the weird little flourish/animation that they have Luke do before you control him. Reminds me of the weird cocked-hip pose of Xbox Avatars. He should just walk in his full garb, drop his cloak, ignite his saber, and go to town.

There's 7 announced MP modes, with "more to be announced".

It's going to launch with 12 maps and 2 more coming for free early December with the Jakku DLC.

Then there's Missions, playable "offline, via couch co-op or online co-op."

Some seem to think it's going to lack content, but I don't share that sentiment.

It's important to remember that not every map will be available for every game mode. They're not going to Battlefield route, in that regard.

Sharpeye

Maybe they aren't ignoring it, but there is a good reason DICE is.

The prequels were literally filmed on green screens. There are no props or locations to pull the photogrammery from.

Are you sure about that?
You should really do some research before you make baseless accusations like that,true the prequels used way to much CGI but they did indeed have practical miniature models and not everything was green screened.

Why don't we not compare this to an 11 year old game, realize and accept that this is a reboot of a series that is now created by the creators of the original series that Battlefront was directly inspired by, and be happy that we have a full blown war style Star Wars game with beautiful visuals, 60fps gameplay, authentic sound design, lightsaber and air combat, and split screen multiplayer and co-op.

It looks brilliant. A little wonky around the edges with some animation issues and some iffy hero on hero combat, but nothing that will ruin the game.

Can't we just have fun with a game and stop worrying about all the politics and accusations of "cut content!" and things?
First person looks brilliant. To my eye, third person looks like a mess (but probably a fun mess).

And the content looks fine, did people forget how little content was in the original series? Or, how little detail and how barren the maps looked? Sullist looks 10x better and more immersive than any other map in the series to date.

If they add more stuff from Battlefield (like clear cut classes, myriad of guns, more radio chatter, etc), I think the game will be better for it.

Always very interested in Star Wars but this looks extremely bland, repetitive and sometimes even downright janky (lightsaber battles in particular).

They nailed the aesthetic and environments though, I have to give them that, too bad the base game doesn't look that interesting to play. I might pass on it now after all this footage.

Boke1879

A lot of people do forget how God awful they are. Horrible dialog, stiff acting, terrible pacing, terrible story.

Just because the prequels were not up to par does not mean you can't use certain locations, aesthetics, weapons and vehicles in upcoming DLC

Sami+

I dunno, it looks like Battlefront to me for better or worse. I don't think I'll be there on day one but if I get swept up in the hype I might get it for some Battlefront II nostalgia.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the saber stuff looks OK to me. not sure what people were expecting but i expected it to look like jedi knight 2 and even then i expected the saber gameplay to be more simple as that game was actually designed around saber battles and force powers. this is still a shooter first and not a third person action game like DMC or even force unleashed.

MADGAME

To be fair sniper rifle like that exist in sw. The tusken raiders use them.

The old Battlefront sniper was the same I believe. It was pretty slow to fire.

More than just blasters in the Star Wars Universe

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tusken_Cycler_rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RcEsA4YBI (Ignore the whole alternate ending crap)

So Tusken Raider tech is so good it is standard issue for both Imperials and Rebels. And as far as giving away position, I clearly see a bullet wind trail every time it is shot, coming from the direction fired.

MMaRsu

Banned

Sure but there are plenty of negative things so far

How many maps/modes are we getting? I really want to play this but fear it will turn out an extremely shallow experience with time.

Oh wow that looks amazing! The ground to space to ship transition is crazy.

Wish this Battlefront had that.
This game will have space battle and the prequel factions for 99.99 season pass. Get your wallet ready bro lol. No seriously I think that's what's gonna happen with all the missing content.

Boke1879

It's more productive to ignore the prequels and focus on content post ROTJ and Episode 7.

How so? We're getting Jakku but we don't know what we'll be getting after the movie is out. The prequels at least are established and there is a lot you can draw from. The clone Wars, Battle for Naboo. Hell even Mustafar could be a map.

Top Bottom