• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars Battlefront Coverage (Oct 5)

Listonosh

Man I'm not so sure about this game anymore...

Janky and unpolished for sure based on this videos which are 2 of the reasons I could never bring myself to get into the original.

This sounds a little too extreme though. So based on the way the heroes move, you're discounting the whole game? I mean, I agree the hero stuff looks underwhelming, but I'd say the rest of the game, gunplay, flying, seems really rather polished.

"Press fire to win fight"

From press X to pay respects, now comes the long-awaited sequel.

WTF is this?

it looks unfinished as hell, the janky animations, barebones hud, clipping problems and it's releasing in 1 month?

The animations dont look any worse than whats in BF4 (with the exception of the Heros), same with the clipping. I thought barebones hud was a good thing? The guns dont fire bullets so you dont need an ammo counter...what else do you need?

Anybody else feel like negativity fuels itself on GAF? Some of these complaints either arent complaints at all or are just shitposting.

The only real complaints Ive seen is the hero hit detection, which does look a bit spotty and that the game looks a bit simplistic (which is also understandable if people were expecting Battlefield levels of depth). Seems that people are going out of their way to nitpick shit.

I'm not surprised that the saber combat is janky. That is going to be fun for a little while and then it is going to become annoying.

I've never been a fan of the hero aspect, because it's always shallow. Why not just try and make a good shooter experience?
At least this looks better than Lord of the Rings Conquest, but if we're going to have a game that does lightsabers proper, we need a full Jedi Knight sequel that takes that combat system and translates it to a new engine. One were you can have 8 vs 8, create-a-jedi/sith, do FFA and other game modes, and have acrobatics, rpg-choosing of your powers, choosing of which Lightsaber Form you use, single, dual or double-bladed lightsaber, crystal color, plus the appearance of your character. That's the game right there.

There was no way these guys were going to make a FPS that unraveled the mistakes and problems with Battlefield 3/4 and then on top of that, make this meta-third-person-hero-combat system that wouldn't feel awkward as fuck.

LucasArts threw countless millions after the Force Unleashed and not even they managed to make the combat satisfying. Lightsaber combat is hard. That is why Jedi outcast/academy are legendary. they made it work despite the problems with online swordfighting and a netcode that makes that difficult.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there any word on if the vehicle controls have been improved since the alpha? Those were the one thing I haven't heard anything positive about.

Boke1879

Well the game is launching with 12 maps and the first DLC pack which contains 2 more maps is free.

Yup. Playing the Battle of Jakku should be very fun. Hope they do some interesting things with it and I honestly can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

i think playing in fps you are limiting yourself in this game. Tps have larger camera coverage. much easier to be aware of your surroundings in tps.

I just realised why I hate so much 3rd person.Man this is just ugly.
1st person though is something else.

Don't hate 3 person. Every game should let you swap on the fly like Fallout/Skyrim to give you the best of both worlds.

3 person is hard. See all the problems they have with Star Citizen to get third person right. When most games do 3 person the way the camera is postioned versus first person is cheating. So for the camera to track the animations from first or third person seamlessly is fucking difficult. ( http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2016-chris-roberts-fps-delays-progress-release-interview )

i think playing in fps you are limiting yourself in this game. Tps have larger camera coverage. much easier to be aware of your surroundings in tps.

I'm planning on using third person to start with. I'll see how I get on. In my opinion the previous Battlefront's were always best played in third person.

prag16

Banned
The animations dont look any worse than whats in BF4 (with the exception of the Heros), same with the clipping. I thought barebones hud was a good thing? The guns dont fire bullets so you dont need an ammo counter...what else do you need?

Anybody else feel like negativity fuels itself on GAF? Some of these complaints either arent complaints at all or are just shitposting.

The only real complaints Ive seen is the hero hit detection, which does look a bit spotty and that the game looks a bit simplistic (which is also understandable if people were expecting Battlefield levels of depth). Seems that people are going out of their way to nitpick shit.

Can't agree with this post enough. GAF needs to cool its jets sometimes, both on the positive and negative sides of the ledger. How often do we see these types of circle jerk feedback loops. In this case a negative one based on some really nitpicky stuff.

By and large the videos look good. I'm excited to try the beta this week. Yes the heroes look somewhat janky. I can deal with it.

Going to be brutally honest: this game looks extremely shallow and nothing that I've seen makes me think this game will retain a large player base for any real length of time. I need to see a lot more than these chaotic free-for-all modes of play. Music and audio fx are very impressive. The gunplay looks awful and anticeptic with one or two guns that simply do it all. The character animations look last gen at best. The 3rd person perspective just looks wrong. Luke and Vader looks fucking stupid.

I was really excited about this game. I am no longer excited about this game. I'll hope for the best but this is looking worse and worse with every video released for it.

Eh, play the demo/beta before dooming it. A lot of games look boring to play but end up being fun.

Yeah like I said I'm going to play it to make my final decision and also to have a real constructive opinion about the game but since they announced no SP I was disappointed and now that I see how enemies act and moves. Also the gameplay seems to be really "rigid" (not sure if the best word). So I'm almost certain that I'd better put my hopes behind, the game may be a good one but not the awesome thing I expected (next gen promised a lot and keep not really delivering).

Oh and of course if I can I'll play the beta ! ^^

Naked Lunch

Looks like dog poo.
DICE has fallen so far off the cliff after the garbage that was BF4 and now this.
I never thought I would say this 3-4 years ago.

Can't agree with this post enough. GAF needs to cool its jets sometimes, both on the positive and negative sides of the ledger. How often do we see these types of circle jerk feedback loops. In this case a negative one based on some really nitpicky stuff.

By and large the videos look good. I'm excited to try the beta this week. Yes the heroes look somewhat janky. I can deal with it.

Looks like dog poo.
DICE has fallen so far off the cliff after the garbage that was BF4 and now this.
I never thought I would say this 3-4 years ago.

Everyone was so ready for a direct copy and paste of Battlefield 4 into Star Wars that when the game actually turned out to be traditional Battlefront (and thus traditional Battlefield) they can't handle it.

When I said some months ago that the game doesn't look good and a stepback from original bf2 I got blasted. Now so many is agreeing with my original opinion lol. I said this game was reskinned BF4 and I got blasted. And you know what this game looks worse than BF4.

ryan299

Man the Luke and Vader gameplay looked bad. This game isn't looking good to me.

Does everybody get to become a hero a la a Titan in titanfall after a c train time or is it only tokens and whoever gets there first gets it?

Everyone was so ready for a direct copy and paste of Battlefield 4 into Star Wars that when the game actually turned out to be traditional Battlefront (and thus traditional Battlefield) they can't handle it.

Yeah and I could've sworn when the game was announced a lot of people were saying "Its just gonna be a star wars branded battlefield game" as a slight against Battlefront. Not saying its all the same people, its just funny how opinion "waves" seem to come and go.

Speaking of TPS - it looks rather bland. Third person generally affords a lot more freedom but this looks as though it is nothing more than an FOV increase. I expect a lot more from today's video games.

Staying true to the game's roots has merit, but the landscape has changed and this should have evolved with it. I feel this game lacks any sense of urgency from moment to moment.

I told myself I would never buy another EA/DICE game at launch and sticking to my blasters, despite being a lifelong SW fan.

schaft0620

Are there ANY AAA games that GAF finds appealing looking?

It's hit or miss they hated Watchdogs but, loved Far Cry (4) even though they are essentially the same game in two atmospheres. They hated the Order 1886 but loved Until Dawn even though they are both similar game play types.

Other AAA games NeoGaf Likes:

Anything Zelda
MGS5
Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast

It's hit or miss they hated Watchdogs but, loved Far Cry (4) even though they are essentially the same game in two atmospheres. They hated the Order 1886 but loved Until Dawn even though they are both similar game play types.

Anything Zelda
MGS5

No they don't.

Anything Zelda
MGS5

Serious? That's a stretch.

After watching the Jack Frags videos:

giphy.gif

After watching the first person videos:

giphy.gif

For whatever reason, the first person videos looked a lot more polished that the third person ones.

3rd person videos just make the game look like crap imo. I dunno why he insists on posting so many that way.

Boke1879

Have to say I am very disappointed with that footage and I am probably one of the biggest Star Wars fans you will ever meet.

The animation is pretty awful and the voice acting? Seriously? Come on now, this needs to be delayed imo.

In what world does this need to be delayed? Nothing about this needs to be delayed. 3rd persona animation in a FPS game is already going to be awkward. That said. Everything outside the Hero stuff looks good.

In what world does this need to be delayed? Nothing about this needs to be delayed. 3rd persona animation in a FPS game is already going to be awkward. That said. Everything outside the Hero stuff looks good.

How much of this has to do with the fact that Dice games are primarily in first person? Maybe they just cant do good 3rd person. It would probably better better being hero in 1st, but then it probably doesnt look as cool, god forbid.

benjammin

This footage just reaffirmed that I made the right decision not to pre-order. I'll take a look someone in January to see if the kinks have been worked out

This, basically.

Looks like battlefront.

old battlefront was a janky game that barely came together, true, but it still was pulled together enough to say "if we threw all the heroes together in one map, what would happen?" and be able to create something truly magical out of that scenario.

cancelled BF3 was going to continue this type of thinking--there's leaked gameplay out there of this mode on a new Courscant map.

man, i'm just really depressed about this game--we got so close to what everyone wanted out of a new battlefront--more maps on more planets, hero mode in more places, space to ground and ground to space, sprawling massive maps, and upgraded visuals--and it never happened. now we're struggling to make do with the mess that's DICEfront.

bombshell

Anything Zelda
MGS5

I have a feeling you haven't played The Order or Until Dawn.

Top Bottom