• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Improved shadows aside, the lighting/foliage doesn't look much better than The Witcher 2 modded and I find that a little disappointing. Thankfully the game is aesthetically pleasing, but the grass really does look off technically. Very flat, obvious bill boarding, lots of pop-in. What can you do?

Pumped for the game.

Mifec

Improved shadows aside, the lighting/foliage doesn't look much better than The Witcher 2 modded and I find that a little disappointing. Thankfully the game is aesthetically pleasing, but the grass really does look off technically. Very flat, obvious bill boarding, lots of pop-in. What can you do?

Pumped for the game.

Hope it gets noticeably better by release?

misho8723

Banned
I'm about half-way through the fourth book. Definitely enjoy them, and knowing what's going on better has definitely made me go nuts over some of the character reveals in trailers over the past year.

:) that's great.. how many of the books are translated in English? Three - four? In Polish (and in some other languages) there are now 8 books with the new book Season of Storms

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did you check out the Gamersyde direct upload? 3 GB, but it only took me 10 minutes to download from Euro server #2 and I'm in the US.

Downloaded the raw file from Mega (Holy shit what a bad site, took forever for Chrome to finish the "fake" download after Mega was done loading the file, ugh) in the op. Seems youtube messed the video up badly :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
In the first gif he just slowed down from a sprint into the same jog animation that's in the second gif, doesn't look to be due to the elevation change as he's still in the slower jog animation even when the surface turns flat. Looks like the player simply eased down on the thumbstick control. There's also a jog to sprint transition in MGSV.

From that topdown view in the second gif I can't really tell much, if even any change though. But here you can see Geralt exhibits the same running animation even when the slope is pretty steep, he's basically in the same running animation halfway down the slope before it even turns into a slide.

scuplj.gif

So yeah, I'm not really seeing how Snake's animations are more stiff especially compared to these examples.
There other spots where he slows down from sprinting don't have that look, he's running that way due to the incline. And in the second one it's not a super obvious animation change like the one in FFXV but it's happening. And like with other game that feature it the geometry on that cliff looks too steep for it to be natural so he just goes straight into the slide instead of blending
naturally.

Something that's really understated is how natural the cloth and hair physics are in this game, can't see any clipping in the cloth. Not as good as Bloodborne or AC:Unity but for a game of this size I can't think of any game that's doing it better atm.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Dat Sword of Destiny trailer at the end of the new gameplay, still hard to process how good it looks...

Although it's different, it made me go and watch one of my favourite trailers again for the 78th time (WARNING, might be a bit spoilery for those who haven't done TW2 yet) :

The Witcher 2 - Hope Trailer

Chills all over. Every damn time.

KooopaKid

Banned
Why isn't there more excitement over the new footage? It's one of the biggest game of the year. The thread is only 20 pages.

Mista

Banned
Why isn't there more excitement over the new footage? It's one of the biggest game of the year. The thread is only 20 pages.

Unfortunately this game series isnt very popular like the others

I wonder how many people will play Witcher 3 as their first Witcher though

Daverid

Delays and "Downgrade", it has deflated a lot of people's hype.

Not myself, but I think there's certainly less interest in the game now then there was a year ago. It dropped like what, 4 or 5 places down on this years Most Anticipated compared to last year, so there's definitely less hype happening on GAF.

KooopaKid

Banned
Unfortunately this game series isnt very popular like the others

I wonder how many people will play Witcher 3 as their first Witcher though

Me! Tried number 2 on X360 but it didn't grab me. Too "PC-ish" for me.
But here, the sense of adventure is obvious from the start. I'll give it a serious try.

Delays and "Downgrade", it has deflated a lot of people's hype.

Not myself, but I think there's certainly less interest in the game now then there was a year ago. It dropped like what, 4 or 5 places down on this years Most Anticipated compared to last year, so there's definitely less hype happening on GAF.

It's also a PC franchise first. I doubt it'll make NeoGAF GOTY 2015 Top 5.

Pumped for the game.

Let's hope you can make again the grass/vegetation mod, this time for Witcher 3!

Nuuvem has a really good price for the GOG version and you can lower it even further if you own the previous games. They also throw in a copy of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition. Add to that all the goodies you already get on GOG from pre-ordering the game (artbook, ost, comic book, etc) and it's a fantastic deal.

who's going to play this with polski audio? english voices sound good, though and i imagine it'd be more diverse in terms of accents.

also, why does geralt have an american accent?

If you do not play the Witcher with Polish voices you are doing it wrong. It owned in the previous games and it helped in immersing in the world.

Avtomat

So I usually dislike RPG's, the only one I have enjoyed is Darksiders 2 put about 70 hours in that only because I enjoyed the combat.

Can anyy one with hands on time with this give details in combat mechanics. Or is there some extensive combat gameplay. I can see blocks, parries and strikes but more info would be useful.

Philippo

I'm baffled at how much they enlarged the whole UI yet the dialogues subtitles are so small, playing this on PS4 will be a torture i feel.

Please fix this CDPR.

heringer

Pumped for the game.

I dunno, as someone playing Witcher 2 for the first time I don't think the lightning looks very good. They went nuts with bloom there. It's really weird. Foliage looks very artificial too, in my opinion. Not to mention maps are very small and cramped.

Downgrade or not I think Witcher 3 looks much better, like a generation ahead. But then again, I'm not crazy about Witcher 2 visuals at all, art and tech wise.

hiryu

I really could care less if this looks like the original trailers. It looks great in its current form. I'll probably get the PS4 version anyway because I can't be bothered to upgrade my PC at the moment.

But here, the sense of adventure is obvious from the start. I'll give it a serious try.

In what ways was 2 too PC'ish? If anything the opposite is true with how they changed its combat.

The first game was definitely more like a traditional PC game, what with how its combat works.

3 is looking like the combat is similar to 2 (hopefully improved a lot though) and open world.

Daverid

I dunno, as someone playing Witcher 2 for the first time I don't think the lightning looks very good. They went nuts with bloom there. It's really weird. Foliage looks very artificial too, in my opinion. Not to mention maps are very small and cramped.

I can't agree with you on the foliage, I think it looks fantastic (Especially if you've got a rig beefy enough to enable Ubersampling).
However I agree about the bloom, heck I think most people do, the bloom was crazy in TW2. Soon as I arrived in Flotsam on my very first playthrough I just went, "Nope", and exited out and flicked the bloom off. If you're playing the game and still have bloom on, I would highly recommend turning it off, daytime appears much softer and natural without it, it looks much better.

Seanspeed

Banned

Downgrade or not I think Witcher 3 looks much better, like a generation ahead. But then again, I'm not crazy about Witcher 2 visuals at all, art and tech wise.
Yea, Witcher 2 doesn't look quite as good as some people remember. Lighting and foliage are not great by modern standards.

And this is a favourable example. I have many others that show extreme amounts of dithering and aliasing.

Durante

I agree that Witcher 3 is an improvement, but that isn't "subpar" my modern standards.

Unless your standards are like the top 3% (graphically) AAA games released each year, there's still very little which matches that Witcher 2 shot in terms of foliage.

benzy

There other spots where he slows down from sprinting don't have that look, he's running that way due to the incline. And in the second one it's not a super obvious animation change like the one in FFXV but it's happening. And like with other game that feature it the geometry on that cliff looks too steep for it to be natural so he just goes straight into the slide instead of blending
naturally.

tcrunch made a continuation of your first gif. You can clearly see it's the exact same jogging animation even once he reaches the flat ground, which is the exact same jogging animation in my gif. There is no running animation change due to elevation.

ombwfo.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
I agree that Witcher 3 is an improvement, but that isn't "subpar" my modern standards.

Unless your standards are like the top 3% (graphically) AAA games released each year, there's still very little which matches that Witcher 2 shot in terms of foliage.
Yea, I changed it to say 'not great' instead of 'subpar'.

Point is - its lost its 'impressive' factor. As you'd expect after 4 years have gone by.

eastx

Yep. That foliage was great.

I'm baffled at how much they enlarged the whole UI yet the dialogues subtitles are so small, playing this on PS4 will be a torture i feel.

Please fix this CDPR.

The subtitles were a normal size when I played it on Xbox One. Don't know why they're so tiny in some screenshots.

Crossing Eden

tcrunch made a continuation of your first gif. You can clearly see it's the exact same jogging animation even once he reaches the flat ground, which is the exact same jogging animation in my gif. There is no running animation change due to elevation.

ombwfo.gif
That gif begins just as he's adjusting back to normally jogging. Look at his arms.

benzy

That gif begins just as he's adjusting back to normally jogging. Look at his arms.

Not seeing it. It's exactly right after transitioning from sprinting to jogging in your gif.

edit - I looked at the footage again, he starts sprinting again right at the end of this gif, which is why you see his arms moving more near the end.

Crossing Eden

Not seeing it. It's exactly right after transitioning from sprinting to jogging in your gif.

edit - I looked at the footage again, he starts sprinting again right at the end of this gif, which is why you see his arms moving more near the end.
No literally at the very start of the gif he's coming off of a downward slope and transitions into the normal walking stance. Look at his arms at the very start.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Put me in the "exact same animation" camp.

Also Geralt's walking animation looks weird as hell, something seems off with his legs.

rashbeep

Banned
Finally got around to watching the 3gb footage, and I think it looks great. Detail on the characters/costumes is fantastic. Other things like foliage, water are not as impressive, but they don't look so bad that they are distracting. Overall, I think it's a pretty clear leap from Witcher 2.

It looked like there was a fortress in the mountain that was accessible at the end of the first clip. The scale feels grander than something like Skyrim, which is a good sign.

wmlk

No literally at the very start of the gif he's coming off of a downward slope and transitions into the normal walking stance. Look at his arms at the very start.

I see the exact same animation.

I understand this game won't be like FFXV or AC: Unity with the animations, but it's kind of jarring to see FFXV's cast act so naturally and Geralt is not even moving naturally.

Mista

Banned

I admit first couple of hours is boring and the controls may be complicated for many

But believe me once shit gets real the game becomes very very enjoyable and a great experience

Crossing Eden

It's the exact same animation dude. There's no change when he's off the slope.

I see the exact same animation.

I understand this game won't be like FFXV or AC: Unity with the animations, but it's kind of jarring to see FFXV's cast act so naturally and Geralt is not even moving naturally.
Here's the exact moment where it happens, the gif you posted starts right at the end of this gif.

rekxhu.gif

the slope is small so it's very brief but you can see him shift his weight right before he starts to go back to the normal running animation compared to here where he shifts his weight more and resorts to sliding, a gif you seem to be ignoring as it's total proof that he does do more than just slide depending on the incline.
xqjqis.gif

His left arm leads more than the right when he's doing this compared to when he's walking normally and standing more upright.

I've seen enough animation to be able to tell when a character is shifting their weight on an incline, however brief.

misho8723

Banned
I admit first couple of hours is boring and the controls may be complicated for many

But believe me once shit gets real the game becomes very very enjoyable and a great experience

I played the tutorial in the original W2 like 20 times or more.. just because I really enjoyed him that much :)

Anyway, this is the same scene isn't it - from the VGX trailer and from the newest one
8Amb.jpg

9Amb.jpg

Top Bottom