• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

Here's the exact moment where it happens, the gif you posted starts right at the end of this gif.

rekxhu.gif

the slope is small so it's very brief but you can see him shift his weight right before he starts to go back to the normal running animation compared to here where he shifts his weight more and resorts to sliding, a gif you seem to be ignoring as it's total proof that he does do more than just slide depending on the incline.
xqjqis.gif

His left arm leads more than the right when he's doing this compared to when he's walking normally and standing more upright.

I've seen enough animation to be able to tell when a character is shifting their weight on an incline, however brief.
His right shoulder shifts back a bit just before he passes the tree near the end of the gif. Is that what you mean?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I played the tutorial in the original W2 like 20 times or more.. just because I really enjoyed him that much :)

Anyway, this is the same scene isn't it - from the VGX trailer and from the newest one
8Amb.jpg

9Amb.jpg
Definitely seems to be the same cutscene.

His right shoulder shifts back a bit just before he passes the tree near the end of the gif. Is that what you mean?
Yes. And in the second gif you see it looping because he's on a longer incline right before he reaches the rocks and starts to slide.

Crossing Eden

Different time of day + different armour set = downgrade?
Different lighting conditions yes but there is a lot of foliage missing in that scene, i think they just changed the location of the scene altogether from the swamp area to the river near a forest. Average person usually perceives "less foliage" as a downgrade.

Vitor711

wow! the downgrade is real.

Not really - totally different enviroment. In fact, his model looks just as good and the texture redesigns look better (although it's hard to tell with all that blur).

Griffon looks slightly less detailed but I think it could just be an artistic choice rather than a technical one.

Carn82

I played the tutorial in the original W2 like 20 times or more.. just because I really enjoyed him that much :)

Anyway, this is the same scene isn't it - from the VGX trailer and from the newest one
8Amb.jpg

9Amb.jpg

Could be a 'start of fight' animation/cutscene that triggers when engaging bigger enemies

heringer

They probably just changed the intro scene of that creature a little.

I think it's an upgrade. The first shot has the weird color saturation of Witcher 2. The second shot is much clearer and pleasant to my eyes.

Crossing Eden

Could be a 'start of fight' animation/cutscene that triggers when engaging bigger enemies
I don't think we'll be fighting that many griffins where it'll need to play out the same cutscene animation every time. I would actually be a little disappointed if it did because I hate when games do that.

erawsd

It seems that some of the criticism is producing results.

CDPR said:
Thought I'd let you know that one of our environment artists came in to work extra early today and tinkered a bit with all of the brick walls. I can thus proudly report the issue of the sub-par quality walls fixed.

misho8723

Banned
wow! the downgrade is real.

I put those screens just to show them side-by-side and I really like how it now looks, and what is the second response to them? Downgrade.. I'm shocked, shocked.. well, not really
You can clearly see that it's a different daytime and different location, but whatever

Well, the journalists who were at those preview-events had to tell or emailed the developers about any bugs, problems, etc. they were experiencing

Lunar15

I mean, that seems awful quick for an issue that seemed like something beyond more than a little tweaking, but what do I know.

Either way, if they're just going to use the next couple of months just to take feedback on stuff and have people working on it, that's pretty great.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not everything that looks differently now to before is necessarily a downgrade.

These things can just be artists changing the scene because of aesthetics.

To know whether or not something is a legit downgrade you need to analyze the complexity of the scene and the costs various graphical effects. And then you can decide whether or not to be outraged because the resource cost for a graphical effect is not worth it for a developer to pursue. That is a separate point.

erawsd

I mean, that seems awful quick for an issue that seemed like something beyond more than a little tweaking, but what do I know.

Either way, if they're just going to use the next couple of months just to take feedback on stuff and have people working on it, that's pretty great.

Yeah, have no idea how much work would be involved in fixing that. There is a follow up response a few posts later where he basically says that it was probably on the todo list but with such a huge world they have to prioritize things. So that wall texture shot up in priority since it turned out it was really noticeable.

heringer

I can't agree with you on the foliage, I think it looks fantastic (Especially if you've got a rig beefy enough to enable Ubersampling).
However I agree about the bloom, heck I think most people do, the bloom was crazy in TW2. Soon as I arrived in Flotsam on my very first playthrough I just went, "Nope", and exited out and flicked the bloom off. If you're playing the game and still have bloom on, I would highly recommend turning it off, daytime appears much softer and natural without it, it looks much better.

Ah, disabled Bloom and crancked the gamma up. Game looks much better now, thanks!

wmlk

8Amb.jpg

9Amb.jpg

This doesn't prove a thing.

You've got to be kidding.

misho8723

Banned
This doesn't prove a thing.

You've got to be kidding.

I wasn't proving anything.. I just showed it because it is interesting that they changed some things, like the location.. I personally like the new scene better than the what was in VGX trailer

Ralemont

not me
Combat looks... well there's combat. It doesn't really look any better than The Witcher 2, but hopefully it feels a lot smoother.

Everything else looks pretty great. Swimming!

Sou Da

I wasn't proving anything.. I just showed it because it is interesting that they changed some things, like the location.. I personally like the new scene better than the what was in VGX trailer

Has it changed? The location might just be a thing in the quest that can change, just like the time of day.

wmlk

My bad. I thought there was implied meaning.

And no, it's not the same scene but likely the same animation

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I love the thread!

What can I say? Our artists would slap anyone trying to mess with their pretty work;)

Really looking forward to this, only played W2 and PC (and never completed it unfortunately) also OMG WTF are those Northern Irish accents, I love it!

cackhyena

Different lighting conditions yes but there is a lot of foliage missing in that scene, i think they just changed the location of the scene altogether from the swamp area to the river near a forest. Average person usually perceives "less foliage" as a downgrade.
What. It's a different place.

Dinjoralo

Yeah, these seem to be from completely different areas. Note the ruins in the background of the first one, and the forest in the second. Either they changed where that quest takes place, the quest can happen in different areas, or they just use the same cutscene in multiple quests.

Edit: Whoops, we've moved past this. Oh well.

Guri

I know this sounds ridiculous, but, in a way, it seems some people actually want a downgrade. It is surreal.

Anyway, I am happy with what they have achieved so far and they still have some months of optimization. Looking forward to it.

The graphic freaks at gaf scare me sometimes. This game looks delicious, I just hope it plays as good as it looks. Hoping the story delivers, though I fear I may be lost a bit since it's the last of the trilogy.

Exentryk

Don't know if this was posted yet, but there is an extremely detailed impressions of Witcher 3 by Witchersite.

Quoting just the combat section:

The combat system

If you think you’re gonna go wild and you will just push the story forward – the game will soon show you the ground level and your own place on it. The gameplay material released so far didn’t really showcase the combat system and explain its basic mechanics.

The combat system in The Wild Hunt has been announced as revolutionary, tactical, demanding and offering a broad spectrum of possibilities. I can say with satisfaction that these are just some of its best features as guys at CDPR managed to create something that we haven’t experienced in any game so far. Despite taking inspirations from many renown franchises from other, non-RPG genres, the Witcher 3 offers something unique and so far unprecedented. At the fore there are animations that offer such a range of moves that only well trained swordsmen can pride of. It can be clearly seen that just now the skills of Maciek Kwiatkowski – the stuntman that’s with CDPR from TW1 and records moves for Geralt – has been fully used to reproduce swordsmanship essence in a video game. Each step Geralt takes, each cut, leap, pirouette or dodge are moves recreated with attention to detail and realism, underlined by natural and smooth transitions between subsequent animations.

Let’s dive deeper into the mechanics as there are plenty of topics to cover. I’ll start with a general feeling of combat, which is pleasant but also very specific. In this case we experience a certain paradox, because as we know the combat was supposed to be slower, with more walking and allowing for tactical approach. Sure, that’s how it generally plays out, but on the other hand we’re a Witcher – fast, agile and you could wonder – how can those 2 planes be accommodated in one combat system? The developers had made it. Overall controlling Geralt gives you a feeling of lightness, really big freedom and just simply incredible ease. The White Wolf is a mutant with superhuman efficiency and speed and it shows. You cannot however overdo the dancing moves between your opponents as it’s quite a skill. That’s where tactical aspects come into play which balance the combat system, giving weight and precision to Gwynbleidd’s attacks. I just have one request – do not rely on the video material that you’re about to watch as it won’t explain anything. It’s a system that you need to experience during gameplay before you make any judgements.

Not to slow down a single bit I will move on to more detailed issues. We have 2 types of attacks – fast and heavy(circle and triangle accordingly). Its main feature is obvious from the very beginning – any resemblance of the Witcher 2’s combat system is gone. Total responsiveness – which of course will get us into trouble too if we mindlessly spam the attach button. Thing is that we will experience no more TW2’s moments where even being far away from the opponent we decided to attach…and Geralt flew towards him demonstrating a whole sequence of leaps, spins and a cut in the end. These times are gone. Now Geralt will attack only when he’s in appropriate distance even though he’s a superhuman, agile mutant – because as it has been said before: one push of a button, one animation. If the old habits of TW2 come back – which happened to me, I admit – then it can look like this: Geralt will be too far away and he will cut air instead of his opponent, waiving his blade. While we’re at it I’ll mention that indeed, you can miss and it happens a lot if you don’t focus on fighting. Targeting is not as obvious as in previous installment and now we have to specify who we want to attack and even that doesn’t guarantee a successful attack. It’s still smooth and intuitive though. Of course, we’re then more prone to attacks and if one of the enemies has a ranged weapon – there’s high chance we get hit.

In melee the countering skill is also useful. To do this we hold block and wait until enemy attacks – that’s when we have to time the right moment and hit. On the released gameplay material you can notice this during the swamp fights(right after Geralt’s first meeting with the Three Witches) when Geralt breaks one of the bandit’s block with a kick, knocking his shield out and carrying out a deadly blow – that was a successful counter.

Let’s go further and stop by a sign called “Witcher signs”. If you followed the announcements you probably know that each of them will have 2 versions. Unfortunately we were only able to test those basic ones as Igni for example has its flamethrower form at the end of the Igni development tree. But what we managed to test leads to some interesting conclusions. Namely, you can be sure that every sign has its use, none gets omitted in quests and there will be no situation where you Aaard and Igni your way through the game with a little bit of Quen thrown in for good measure. The game offers such a diversity of quests that we will be downright forced to use each of the signs. Signs are chosed from the quick choice menu opened by L1 and casted by R2. Their various forms are activated by pressing or holding the button.

And then we have the dodges that the Gwynbleidd can perform. We can divide them in 2 categories. First is done by hitting the button responsible for dodging(the same as for jumping – circle) with the direction we want the Witcher to go. It gives us different forms of leaps(to the back or sideways) or pirouettes. Which form of dodge will be performed depends on Geralt actual stance, opponent placement and the overall situation we’re in. Those moves are mostly useful while fighting groups of enemies that surround us, for example one of the quest had me fighting humans, bears and a game at the same time in one of the caves in Skellige. Those moves give us a dancing-like ability to “swirl” between opponents.

Second kind of dodge moves is possible to perform by holding the block button, when Geralt takes a stance of respecting his opponents, moves cautiously, attentively and in full focus. When now a dodge putton is pressed Geralt will perform a roll in any direction given by the player(those are famous TW2 rolls but looking a lot better and incomparably more useful). They are longer, Geralt can simply dart and perform a truly spectacular leap, which together with his cat-like agility expressed by awesome animations looks totally badass. This is exactly the move that you could observe during a few second clip of a Fiend fight at the E3 2013 trailer. This move is useful first and foremost in fighting against large opponents – I used it during the demo when griffon plunged from the sky to avoid his claws, which could hurt real bad and incurred bleeding effect. In this shape the rolling hated by so many has its place – it’s not forced upon a player but has its justification among the complex fighting system. From the design perspective putting this option under the block mode was a really good idea but there’s another way to perform this move – by holding the dodge button in free combat, outside blocking.

Don’t think it’s over. Going back to the subject, now’s the time to mention all the other possibilities the combat gives us. One thing worth mentioning – during skirmishes we are absolutely free and nothing stands in our way. There are no artificial barriers and the duels are not broken down into “pseudo-arenas” without a way out. In other words the combat system is what every sandbox game’s combat system should be. If we fancy(or the situation demands it) we can resort to sprinting at any time to run away a safer distance, judge the odds better, power up the energy bar, prepare a sign(which I did often with Quen) and then start our death dance with the enemy from the beginning. I repeat – everything works as we see fit. We can fight fiercely in close quarters but nothing stops us from keeping our distance, darting in and out to bite and then again circling the opponent – The Witcher 3 really gives us opportunity to display creativity during combat.

When we talk about creativity let’s move on to another hot topic and a departed hit from The Witche forums which is crossbow. Speaking of this small controversy I have to admit that the REDs really got the nerve and know how to troll but to understand exactly what I’m talking about you have to wait until game’s release as I’m not going to spoil your fun. When it comes to this murder tool’s functionality it has to be noted that Gabriel really has its place in game’s mechanics and can save our ass in some moments. I will also mention that this small, wooden contraption gave me the most fun during the whole time with the game but I will share the details while describing the quests.

Coming back to using the crossbow, it has 2 modes of firing. First is activated by hitting the shoot button once(R1) which gives us an automatically aimed shot. Second is activated by holding another button which activates bullet time and free aim. It all works well, although needs a little getting used to, just as other layers of combat system. If you think about if it actually serves its purpose and its existence in the game makes sense, I’ll make a simple conclusion – in certain moments you really need it but of course we have a choice and can give up on it, which in turn can have consequences and make our lives more difficult. To close the issue I will mention that the basic bolts number is infinite but it doesn’t break the balance as they deal very little damage. Special bolts, found in packs of 20, are a different beast – we have to save them as they can weaken the enemy as fast as they can deplete.

I was also able to try mounted combat. Just as everything else in The Witcher 3 this aspect has also received special treatment and it offers a few options. Regarding fighting with sword there’s a slight clunkiness to this system but to be honest about this layer of mounted combat one should master it. It’s just another elaborate system that demands using a few skills at the same time and paying attention to number of factors. The basis is horse movement which offers different speeds, from a majestic walk to a wild gallop. It’s easy to guess that the stamina bar has to be monitored but that’s not all – the game included another factor that – as everything else in this monumental production – affects the gamelay. It’s the horse’s panic level bar. During a fight when the horse feels true danger it can panic and throw Geralt off his back. We can see that Roach has to be really taken care of and our actions need to be planned. I can only add that mounted combat is demanding. For example, aiming our blade during charge with high speed is cumbersome and we need a lot of precision and intuition, while our opponent will not always be positioned conveniently, which makes the matter even more complicated.

Brawling is the layer of combat that has been designed from ground up. In the demo I had a chance to fight some thugs which – as it usually happens – didn’t like the Witcher’s presence in the local tavern. When I left the cosy and atmospheric place there was a whole band already waiting for me. Fist fighting mechanics are simple and pleasant. It’s done the same way as with a sword, targeting is identical. In TW3 we can finally play out a solid and free brawl – not more cutscenes with QTEs. If I was to compare the feeling of fist fighting to another game – I think „a mix of Batman and Uncharted” is a great term.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but there is an extremely detailed impressions of Witcher 3 by Witchersite.

Quoting just the combat section:

that's good stuff. the time when i played it from my impression thread, i only got to fight once and although it felt a lot smoother and tighter, i felt like I need way more time with it. i didn't go through the tutorial with ciri in the prologue since i didn't wanted to waste time on that but now i think i should have. the lock on target it seems like its very soft lock. i could use my directional anywhere to any target anytime which made the combat a lot more dynamic. i think a lot of people will be surprised when they get to try the combat for themslef.

Exentryk

I am liking what I'm hearing about combat. The only thing that would make my experience better are Signs (magic) mapped to face buttons on consoles (or an option to re-map controller completely).

erawsd

I am liking what I'm hearing about combat. The only thing that would make my experience better are Signs (magic) mapped to face buttons on consoles (or an option to re-map controller completely).

It certainly sounds like its been massively improved over Witcher 2. Griffin hunt sounds awesome, I wonder how many of those monster hunts there will be in total.

Top Bottom