• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

Exentryk

It certainly sounds like its been massively improved over Witcher 2. Griffin hunt sounds awesome, I wonder how many of those monster hunts there will be in total.

I read somewhere that there were around 80 monsters in the game. Plenty to keep us busy I guess.

Yeah, they've already teased the Leshen and Rudolf and there will be undoubtedly more.

A previewer also played the in-game card game Gwent, which serves as a replacement for the poker dice game from the first two games.

We did experience Gwent, The Witcher 3’s ancient dwarven card game that simulates two armies meeting on the battlefield. Each player becomes a general and attempts to defeat the other using various troop cards. You begin by drawing 10 cards that makes up your hand for the entire match. There are unit cards like the Kaedweni Siege Expert, who offers a morale boost, and weather cards like Biting Frost that affect every card on the battlefield. Each deck comes with Heroes, high value cards immune to different effects. Moreover, players begin with two Life Gems, and lose one each time he or she loses a round. Once both Life Gems are gone, it’s game over; if things look grim or you want to crush your adversary, consider playing the Leader card, which comes with a powerful special ability you’re free to use once during battle.

Beyond that, you’re free to build decks for the following factions, each of which possesses a unique ability:

Nilfgaard: Wins any round that ends in a draw.
Northern Realms: Grants an extra card after every victorious round.
Monsters: Decides who takes the first turn in battle.
Scoia’tael: Keeps a random Unit Card on the battlefield after each round.

We’d love to tell you more, but it was tough to comprehend the rules in such a limited amount of time. We do know that you’re able to earn cards from completing quests and buying them from vendors, so Gwent goes much deeper than simply finding an NPC willing to play. It seems CD Projekt RED intends to make it a separate game entirely.

Looks to follow the style of Pazaak and Triple Triad.

Exentryk

Seems like it plays more like Magic: The Gathering, than say something simple like Triple Triad. But I like having minigames in RPGs, so looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Daingurse

Grimløck;149272142 said:
i ain't mad. you gonna act a bitch, i'm a call you a bitch, bitch. i don't even know why you bother posting links when i'm not clicking. PM me if you need anything. no need to derail this thread, bitch.

BH4ne.gif

I've been having a very stressful time all day, but this made me laugh out loud. Downright hilarious exchange. The avatar, the wording, simply perfect.

AU Tiger

It seems that some of the criticism is producing results.

The thing is though, he shouldn't have HAD to come in early to fix the brick wall. that is something that they should have seen or noticed when they were actually doing the work in the first place.

that said, something like a brick wall not being straight or blurry textures, I'd like to think would be masked by tesselated wall surfaces but to be honest, I'd be surprised if that feature was actually in the game on PC on day 1 vs having to wait for it to be implemented with a patch later on :(

I mean, has AC unity gotten it's tesselation patch yet???

I'll be honest with you guys... even though I've got this preordered and loved the first two games, I'm going to download and install this on day 1 but most likely just let it sit in the oven for a week to see how the PC community finds the game (bugs/etc) and possibly give CDPR a few weeks worth of patching stuff before actually jumping in.

The thing is though, he shouldn't have HAD to come in early to fix the brick wall. that is something that they should have seen or noticed when they were actually doing the work in the first place.

that said, something like a brick wall not being straight or blurry textures, I'd like to think would be masked by tesselated wall surfaces but to be honest, I'd be surprised if that feature was actually in the game on PC on day 1 vs having to wait for it to be implemented with a patch later on :(

I'll be honest with you guys... even though I've got this preordered and loved the first two games, I'm going to download and install this on day 1 but most likely just let it sit in the oven for a week to see how the PC community finds the game (bugs/etc) and possibly give CDPR a few weeks worth of patching stuff before actually jumping in.

You know these people have a list of priorities right? I would think brick walls are pretty low on that list.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The game has 5 months left of development time specifically for polish.

eastx

imagine if they have a mini card game deep like magic or hearthstone.. that would something else wouldn't it?

Gwent is nowhere near that deep. I only played it once, but I didn't like it that much.

You just take turns arranging your cards into 3 rows (infantry, archers, siege machines), each with a value. Whichever player's infantry row adds up to the higher value will defeat the other's infantry, etc. You can't play all of your cards straight off either, because you need to save some for the second round. Also, there are weather cards that affect only certain types of units, and might harm your side more than the enemy's, depending on what you have on the field.

It probably gets more enjoyable with practice and as you acquire new cards, but Gwent's pretty much just another card minigame, not something overly deep.

misho8723

Banned
Hmmm.. so from the CNET preview :
"I played on PC -- on a PC built like a monster truck, to be honest -- with the resolution cranked to 4K on a 55-inch Ultra HD TV, using a controller. (It's also coming out on Xbox One and PS4.)"

I guess people here just won't take my word when I say the Xbox one version I played looked fantastic huh? 1080 and 900, I bet most people can't really tell the difference.

eastx

I guess people here just won't take my word when I say the Xbox one version I played looked fantastic huh? 1080 and 900, I bet most people can't really tell the difference.

Where you there too? Yeah, I've said that as well. I don't think people read back much in this thread.

Jac_Solar

Don't know if this was posted yet, but there is an extremely detailed impressions of Witcher 3 by Witchersite.

Quoting just the combat section:

I wonder what he means by this?

Contrary to what has been announced – the game’s world is not open from the very beginning(passages to other locations are closed by war blockades). Instead, access to next fragments will be unlocked along with our progress of the story – like in GTA series.

All gameplay videos thus far has shown that it's completely open world, and impossible to prevent access to the entirety of the main island without invisible walls. Since Geralt can also swim, it doesn't seem like it's possible to block access to the islands either.

He states this like it's a part of the game itself, as opposed to just the introductory level - no surprise that an introductory level is linear, or that you're not given total freedom from the very beginning; pretty much every open world game, including Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion, do this.

So, is it just the "tutorial/introduction" to the game that is closed off, or will the entire game somehow be like this?

thuGG_pl

I wonder what he means by this?

All gameplay videos thus far has shown that it's completely open world, and impossible to prevent access to the entirety of the main island without invisible walls. Since Geralt can also swim, it doesn't seem like it's possible to block access to the islands either.

He states this like it's a part of the game itself, as opposed to just the introductory level - no surprise that an introductory level is linear, or that you're not given total freedom from the very beginning; pretty much every open world game, including Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion, do this.

It means exactly what it says. Also this is not new information, I red about it long ago, but I can't remember where, possibly in polish. I guess nobody noticed.

Seanspeed

Banned
Grimløck;149272142 said:
i ain't mad. you gonna act a bitch, i'm a call you a bitch, bitch. i don't even know why you bother posting links when i'm not clicking. PM me if you need anything. no need to derail this thread, bitch.
How did you not get banned for this laughable and needless internet tough guy routine? You say you're not mad, but you obviously fucking are if you're going to start insulting somebody over so little. lol

HORRORSHØW

How did you not get banned for this laughable and needless internet tough guy routine? You say you're not mad, but you obviously fucking are if you're going to start insulting somebody over so little. lol Good lord some people really just need to stick to their own little gutter circles in life where its actually acceptable to act like this.
lol sure buddy. PM if you need to talk.

Seanspeed

Banned
Grimløck;149486711 said:
lol sure buddy. PM if you need to talk.
I dont need to talk. I'd just rather this not go unnoticed so we dont have to deal with people turning into laughable internet thugs because of some perceived slight or whatever the hell could have possibly gotten you so upset.

That shit isn't cool.

HORRORSHØW

I dont need to talk. I'd just rather this not go unnoticed so we dont have to deal with people turning into internet thugs because of some perceived slight or whatever the hell could have possibly gotten you so upset.
oh, so you're backseat modding now? and what thuggery are you talking about? you can't handle a little vulgarity? does it offend your delicate sensibilities? i'd rather be explicit with my diction than pussyfoot around like some passive-aggressive bitch.

Kezen

Banned
Grimløck;149486969 said:
oh, so you're backseat modding now? and what thuggery are you talking about? you can't handle a little vulgarity? does it offend your delicate sensibilities? i'd rather be explicit with my diction than pussyfoot around like some passive-aggressive bitch.

That's poor.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It means exactly what it says. Also this is not new information, I red about it long ago, but I can't remember where, possibly in polish. I guess nobody noticed.
The Gamestar person said that it took him almost the alloted 3 hours of time to get the point where he could go where ever he wanted.

Maybe this prologue progression is not quite understood? Some earlier videos talked about multi-region stuff, so there could be story gates for specific regions.

Jac_Solar

But he doesn't explicitly state whether it's just an introductory level, or if somehow the entire game works like this. The way he worded it makes it sound like it's the latter, which doesn't seem possible based on gameplay videos.

thuGG_pl

Maybe this prologue progression is not quite understood? Some earlier videos talked about multi-region stuff, so there could be story gates for specific regions.

I understood it that regions are blocked by story, progressing through main story will unlock them.

Grimløck is pretty funny, reminds me of Mr Chow from The Hangover.

Off topic:

Grimløck;149486969 said:

While I think that you may do well with a little less vulgarity. I agree with you for the bolded part.

On topic:

I think I have read somewhere before that indeed the game might not be fully explorable from the start. But I can't remember where either.

Denton

How did you not get banned for this laughable and needless internet tough guy routine? You say you're not mad, but you obviously fucking are if you're going to start insulting somebody over so little. lol
I thought his post was tongue in cheek, parodying jesse from breaking bad.

Apparently not.

eastx

Grimløck;149486969 said:

I don't like to see people being talked to that way. Not being an ass is not the same as being passive aggressive. Also, if it was intended as a joke, you need something to indicate as much or it reads as serious.

Okay that sprinting looks weird and nauseating...there's like a fish-eye lens effect and everything moves too fast. Other than that, just wow! I gotta finish DA:I before this time sink comes out.

Now i wish my consoles could do ultra for this game.. absolutely love everything about this from art direction, lore, visuals and gameplay. ugh... my pc cant handle it and it's in storage right now. T_T

Top Bottom