• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Definitely. Its a great way for Microsoft to get hardcore racing fans to ditch the XboxOne completely and go to PC racing.

Not that they care. Obviously, the amount of people who buy these sorts of setups are insignificant enough that they can afford to disregard them completely like this.

But they keep forgetting that racing community also buys other games not just racing games. So the loss is much higher than what they think.

e.g. I have bought xbox 360, f2,f3,f4 with almost all dlc, FH, + 8 other games, and now they are saying they don't need my money. Let's translate this to Xbox One : X1 --> 500€ + f5 , f6 , FH2 and FH3 240€ , + live 300€ (6 years of live) + 8 non racing game 480€ + 100€ (DLC). Sum of it is 1500€. Now if there are 10.000 wheel sim racers on X1 that cca. 16.200.000 €, over 6 years.

Vormund

Also if it wasn't worth their while they probably wouldn't bother partnering to get wheels made. If anything, it's less effort to just support the existing wheels.

Shaneus

First batch was around December 2011, got mine February or March 2012.

Cool wheel.

Yeah PS3 too, hopefully PS4 at some point.
What model is it? I mean, I'm not one to contemplate switching from the G27 (it does a fine job as it is) but fuck me if that doesn't look the goods. Have to assume it doesn't come with a shifter though. Those red buttons look like they're long-throw(ish) a la the analog face buttons on a NeGCon. Likey.

But they keep forgetting that racing community also buys other games not just racing games. So the loss is much higher than what they think.

e.g. I have bought xbox 360, f2,f3,f4 with almost all dlc, FH, + 8 other games, and now they are saying they don't need my money. Let's translate this to Xbox One : X1 --> 500€ + f5 , f6 , FH2 and FH3 240€ , + live 300€ (6 years of live) + 8 non racing game 480€ + 100€ (DLC). Sum of it is 1500€. Now if there are 10.000 wheel sim racers on X1 that cca. 16.200.000 €, over 6 years.
Now take that, get yourself a PS4, Driveclub plus whatever GT games come out... PLUS with their self-publishing thingo, the likelihood that we could even see more "hardcore" sims like Assetto Corsa (I believe it hasn't been ruled out in the slightest by Kunos) then it's pretty damn obvious what platform to go for if you're a racing fan (and either don't have a PC or just want a console, such as myself).

I'd also have though that by this stage, when announcing any kind of wheel news for their console they'd also take the opportunity to push maybe the next game that might appear in the series (like, I dunno, Horizon?!). As it is, the only game that can justify buying a *dedicated* wheel (I'm not counting Rivals here, that's far too arcade to necessitate a wheel) is Forza 5. That's not how you shift peripherals.

CSR Elite, mechanically the same wheel as the Clubsport, just lacks the quick release, different PCB and the usual Xbox restrictions although there's a couple of PC specific buttons.

Good wheel, I wrapped the cheap hollow rim with tennis racquet grip and electrical tape, looks rough but feels pro.

giblet

Neo Member
FFS.

MS as usual giving 'No Fucks'.

I hope someone clever will work out a way to force Xbox One to work with other wheels using some sort of hardware dongle.

Seriously MS, you really fucking take the biscuit.

patchday

So glad I never did unload my T500RS after I got my Fanatec Elite. I always occasionally pulled out the T500rs for some casual racing until eventually it became my main wheel again.

There's no particular reason why I went back to it. Maybe it's cause its my 'first love'. It's the 1st racing wheel that delivered a great experience

I'm currently waiting on my Occulus Rift to arrive in the mail. I've subbed iRacing now for quite awhile. I rarely boot up consoles to race. I think iRacing honestly blows all the console racers out of the water by far. You can use all the latest gadgets (like Occulus Rift, triple screens, etc). I got a triple screen setup but plan to abandon that for the Occulus Rift.

Let me give you guys some reasons to switch to PC:
- You get the latest gadgets. I use my iPhone for a gauge/RPm.
- Run triple screens without needing to buy 3 consoles. I mostly always soar above 60fps
- iRacing is the only game I know of that punishes bad racing. You wreck, you get reported and LOSE your license
- True FFB from laser scanned tracks. Enforced 1st person keeps everything realistic and fair
- Race on 100% real tracks
- Vast selection of cars however GT6/F5 will blow away that selection of course.
- Still waiting on a console racer to give me pits, realistic racing flags, & pace cars. I think only Formula 1 games have this
- You can use 3D glasses (granted GT5 has that too!)

The list goes on & on. I always preferred PC so I can run T500RS + Clubsport. Can't do that on consoles.

All that being said I will still play a tiny bit of GT6 & Drive club. GT5 was my 1st serious racing game before I found iRacing.

I still pick GT6 over Forza anyday for the simple fact it is a game made by real racers. Kaz (GT5 director/founder) competes.

Dan greenwalt, I highly respect mind you, is really just a car ethusaist.

Sorry don't mean to do a GT5 vs Forza 5. I respect forza series but I have never been happy with Microsoft. They have always had loussy support for wheels. *ALWAYS*

Time to light a fire under MS ass to change this position. It is utter bullshit consider those wheels cost nearly as much, if not more, than a Xbone.

Solal

Let's not let this topic die until we get an answer from Sony, Fanatec, Logitech, etc...This is a serious matter.

djjinx2

Why the fuck would I want a PS4 with no fuckin wheels
or games

brad-pitt-snatch-photograph-c10051905.jpg

Launch PS4 bundle ordered, just kidding!!!

amar212

Is there any chance of the CSP's or shifter working on the Xbox One wheels?

You never know. GTPlanet's MrBasher was very successfull in manufacturing various PCB boards for inter-compatibility of different equipment, so if he finds an interest to produce something..

However, CSP pedals are special case, they use some unique board for function, different than other manufacturers. I will inform you if anything happens in the future.

Vormund

Good to see majority in that youtube video there ripping into MS.

Such a backwards step, no clutch or H-shifter. And they went out of their way to make it not work.

ruttyboy

Good to see majority in that youtube video there ripping into MS.

Such a backwards step, no clutch or H-shifter. And they went out of their way to make it not work.

Ha! Your comment made me go have a look at the comments and FordGTGuy is in there with them arguing away :D

Is there any chance of the CSP's or shifter working on the Xbox One wheels?

It should be pretty easy to make pedals work. USB--->serial-->RJ45 (which is what MC uses, and I suspect TM does too). It's not unlike using G27 pedals with the Microsoft wheel which I think people were able to do quite easily.

I'm not quite sure what they're going to do about the TH8RS. I think it's possible there will be a usb connector on the wheel, and you'll run it through that. That could be how they plan on doing upgradable pedals too, in which case it's not totally out of the realm of possibility you could plug some CSPs in.

amar212

Well, no wonder Fanatecs will not work. This is some serious business plan here.

I wonder what will happen with the PS4 and this particular wheel and model family. It seems inplausible that all this R&D will go towards X360 only. I forsee some interesting developments here.

But those pedals are cringeworthy.

Thank you for this Big, will update the OP.

The good news is I think there will be no shortage of people trying to get this to work the way the want it to. It'll be interesting to see what's possible.

@Amar, I think they'll offer a similar package to PS4 users. Hopefully (cross your fingers) without the same leverage on the pedals/shifter. Even if the PS4 locks peripherals out, PC compatibility could still be a major plus for that set.

TM probably didn't make PS4 a priority since there's no sims coming in the near future for the platform. I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait. Hopefully not long.

amar212

TM probably didn't make PS4 a priority since there's no sims coming in the near future for the platform. I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait. Hopefully not long.

Yes they did in fact, they are the only so far licensed PS4 accessory/peripherals partner. That is my main reasoning, I can't see the effort around this particular product - 458 and its eco-system - without going into multiplatform models.

Yes they did in fact, they are the only so far licensed PS4 accessory/peripherals partner. That is my main reasoning, I can't see the effort around this particular product - 458 and its eco-system - without going into multiplatform models.

I meant this particular set wasn't made a priority, but yeah I agree. A $100 wheel, and a $600 wheel leaves plenty of room in the middle :)

Perkel

Banned
The one 'good thing' about the Drive Club delay is now I don't really care about wheels for the PS4 any more.

heh. I am planned to buy FM5 and i can't just deal with racing game without a wheel same with PS4.

I'll just wait and see how situation will play out.

My main problem is so called "rumble" mentioned by amar. No FF no buy. Wheel without FF is as useless as joystick with only X axis.

At least GT6 is coming this winter and i can wait.

Again, I understand the anger but seriously some of you guys act like your Fanatec wheels and set up will stop working on the Xbox 360 and PS3 once Xbox One and PS4 come out. The wheels will still work, you still could use it to play GT5/6, Forza 2-3 and 4. I mean you bought into console eco system and it has always been this way.

If there are big market for these peripherals do you think Logitech would have bail out? It's a very niche product for very niche market. When Microsoft and Sony both announce the lack of backward compatibility for both consoles you know that the support for accessories would not happen.

I have Clubsport pedals, Porsche S, stand and shifters and at no point did I feel like I did not get my money worth playing with the wheels for the last three years. I am not hardcore racers like many of you here (lack of time and mainly skills) but I have yet to feel like I piss my money away.

Am I annoy at the lack of backward compatibility?, yes. Do I wish Microsoft would just make Xbox One upgrade of the 360?, yes and I still think they miss good opportunities to keep their customers who have invested heavily into 360 (I can forgive Sony since they are stuck with shitty Cell on PS3). But I do understand the shift in technology and sometimes the need to change.

That said, I won't run out and buy Thrusmaster set anytime soon just for one racing game. Until the One and PS4 library have more racing games for me to justify another investment I would. And as someone suggest, best backward compatibility is probably on the PC so if this your concern going forward then PS4 and Xbox One is probably bad choice to invest in.

Perkel

Banned
Again, I understand the anger but seriously some of you guys act like your Fanatec wheels and set up will stop working on the Xbox 360 and PS3 once Xbox One and PS4 come out. The wheels will still work, you still could use it to play GT5/6, Forza 2-3 and 4. I mean you bought into console eco system and it has always been this way.

If there are big market for these peripherals do you think Logitech would have bail out? It's a very niche product for very niche market. When Microsoft and Sony both announce the lack of backward compatibility for both consoles you know that the support for accessories would not happen.

I have Clubsport pedals, Porsche S, stand and shifters and at no point did I feel like I did not get my money worth playing with the wheels for the last three years. I am not hardcore racers like many of you here (lack of time and mainly skills) but I have yet to feel like I piss my money away.

Am I annoy at the lack of backward compatibility?, yes. Do I wish Microsoft would just make Xbox One upgrade of the 360?, yes and I still think they miss good opportunities to keep their customers who have invested heavily into 360 (I can forgive Sony since they are stuck with shitty Cell on PS3). But I do understand the shift in technology and sometimes the need to change.

That said, I won't run out and buy Thrusmaster set anytime soon just for one racing game. Until the One and PS4 library have more racing games for me to justify another investment I would. And as someone suggest, best backward compatibility is probably on the PC so if this your concern going forward then PS4 and Xbox One is probably bad choice to invest in.

You simply don't "get it".

From Xbox perspective they could just implement same damn thing what Xbox360 had and they would support Fanatec and existing X360 hardware from start. They didn't do it because "fuck you, we want more money"

PS4 isn't really any better from customer viewpoint.

And whole FF situation is just sad.

Vormund

Agreed ^^

As I said, it would be easier to actually implement compatibility with an existing accessory than develop a new one....the work is already done.

Sony's case is a little different since it's via 3rd party and there seems to be licensing complications there.

The T500RS looks so nice, is it still the best wheel on PS3? I am this close of buying it alongside a Playseat, just waiting for more confirmation for PS4 support. Its time to upgrade from G25, I dont expect the wheel is gonna be supported for next gen.

Perkel

Banned
Agreed ^^

As I said, it would be easier to actually implement compatibility with an existing accessory than develop a new one....the work is already done.

Sony's case is a little different since it's via 3rd party and there seems to be licensing complications there.

What is most imo annoying is that MS comp. wheels needed to have their hardware in them to run. Which means every bought hardware was $$$ for MS.

Megasoum

Banned
From the new PS4 FAQ that Sony just released... Nothing new really

Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?

Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game.

amar212

From the new PS4 FAQ that Sony just released... Nothing new really

Yeah, I am getting worried at this point.

Also, the charts below:

iwYS5vh51eH6F.png

And this:

ibfDAV8sJ2HBcX.png

Which basically says that without PS4 licensing, no support - unless developer decides to do so. Extremely vague I must say. I don't know how many here will get their PS4 on the launch day, but I hope somebody will be able to provide some testing of the PS4 XMB with the either Logitech or Fanatec (in both PC/PS3 mode).

I am worried, officially. I will update the OP soon as well.

Ted

Feckin' balls.

FM4/GT6, the last console sims [ish] I'll buy??

I REALLY hope not but I can't see myself being able to justify two new wheels for the foreseeable future. Going back to playing with a controller isn't very appealing at all, bleh.

Feckin' balls.

Megasoum

Banned
The way I see it is that the wheels will never be supported at a system level (well unless Sony change its mind in a couple of months/years). As far as in-game support tho then it's up to each game to support the wheel.

It's kinda shitty but at the same time there's not that many games on console that I would want to play with my Fanatec CSR. Mostly GT6-7. And I expect that Polyphony will support everything available for a game like GT.

Solal

Well... that may not be such a bad news. i mean: that means technically, nothing prevents a publisher from making any wheel compatible.

On PS3, some games did not work with the T500 and worked with the CSR without any problem (NFS for example iirc).

And GT was working with everything....

So, what it means is that the PS4 is more open than the XBone... or am i reading wrong?

BTW: CSR elite here... and getting the PS4 at launch. I ll keep you informed...even though i ll ahev no racing game to test... :-(

It sounds like if any driving game wants to support old wheels, those making the game will have to do it themselves, as Sony won't be providing any official support. Which should mean that it's possible, but maybe not particularly likely.

Megasoum

Banned
It sounds like if any driving game wants to support old wheels, those making the game will have to do it themselves, as Sony won't be providing any official support. Which should mean that it's possible, but maybe not particularly likely.

Yeah, depends on the game really.

That means that we can start to bug Rushy for Driveclub Support lol. But I'm sure that games like NFS probably won't have it (not that I would really want to play a NFS game with a wheel)

Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see. I agree with Amar though that licensing will equal support.

What happens if you tell GT5 you're using a T500 when really your using a G27? How much basic support do you get? Fanatec spoofed the G25 for their support, I wonder if spoofing the T500 would be in the cards either by firmware (Fanatec) or by adapter.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see. I agree with Amar though that licensing will equal support.

What happens if you tell GT5 you're using a T500 when really your using a G27? How much basic support do you get? Fanatec spoofed the G25 for their support, I wonder if spoofing the T500 would be in the cards either by firmware (Fanatec) or by adapter.

That's a good point, never thought about that.

Shaneus

Man, that sucks for the most part. Is that even ruling out things like generic USB HID devices like the Saturn USB pad?

patchday

Thomas (Fanatec) has no love for Thrustmaster so I'd doubt he'd intentionally 'spoof' the Thrustmaster. I've been out-of-touch with the GTplanet forums though so maybe Thomas position has changed over the past year

I still plan to get the PS4 on launch day. Mainly for killzone.I was always on the fence on Drive Club coming out so soon. I was more stoked for GT6 cause I know they can pull it off.

Looking forward to a polished drive club

Going to be really busy traveling though for the holidays. so might not have much time to mess with the PS4 :( Might take a day off on ps4 launch day though

Not burning any money on xbox 1 though for obvious reasons. I've been wanting to get away from Microsoft for quite awhile now though. The new wheel situation simply added more fuel to the fire

If this isn't officially fixed, I think there will be money to be made selling a third party adaptor. People who spend $300+ on their wheel setups do it as a long term investment and I, for one, would be willing to pay to gain compatibility for my G25 on the PS4 if it comes to that. How much would I pay? Probably $50 tops.

Solal

If this isn't officially fixed, I think there will be money to be made selling a third party adaptor. People who spend $300+ on their wheel setups do it as a long term investment and I, for one, would be willing to pay to gain compatibility for my G25 on the PS4 if it comes to that. How much would I pay? Probably $50 tops.

So would i... there will definitly be a market for this.

patchday

Man I hope Logitech updates their drivers for my fellow G25 racers. Surely that's still the most common racing wheel setup...

Ted

[snip]As far as in-game support tho then it's up to each game to support the wheel....

[snip]...And I expect that Polyphony will support everything available for a game like GT.

It certainly sounds like there might be a little more chance on the PS4 and I'd like to hope Polyphony would. Particularly given a Logitech wheel was the GT5 official wheel for a time...

GTn is almost always the game that make me buy a PSn, do the right thing Kaz, onegaishimasu.

If no/marginal lag is introduced, I'm down. XCM make/made an adapter to use Logitech wheels on the X360 @~70USD but I've not tried it so i don't know if lag is even an issue with such a device. Has anyone used one?

Top Bottom