• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata 1 million sales special stream on April 17th

I wasn't expecting anything, but
A2 quite clearly has a lot of untouched story. That's the most obvious place for something like that.

That could work. Then again, I run into a Game of Thrones "Prequel" type show problem that many have.
We know the fate of A2 and the rest of the current cast. Would that be a worthwhile story to tell, and would enough people care enough when they already know the outcome to play her story before the events of Automata?

I mean, I would buy it. Mostly because NieR: Automata ended up being my favorite game of all time, but I'm not sure that story DLC would be monetarily worth it.

pa22word

C9nJnKnV0AAK_cR.jpg

C9nJndmUMAAl8Gu.jpg

lmao!

Wish they would have included Inaba too. That guy's head looks like it was tailor made to be a flying projectile in a video game.

That could work. Then again, I run into a Game of Thrones "Prequel" type show problem that many have.
We know the fate of A2 and the rest of the current cast.
Would that be a worthwhile story to tell, and would enough people care enough when they already know the outcome to play her story before the events of Automata?

I mean, I would buy it. Mostly because NieR: Automata ended up being my favorite game of all time, but I'm not sure that story DLC would be monetarily worth it.
Prequels can be amazing if done well and without excessive nods to the source material. Better Call Saul is great, for example, even though we already know that 80% of the cast ends up dead.

chrono01

I've seen enough JAV to know where this is going.

On a serious note, I'm really excited for the DLC. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I need more Nier Automata goodness wherever I can get it. I'll probably purchase the NicoNico Nier Automata Concert tickets too, since I won't be able to attend in-person. I love the music, and I need to hear it live even if I can't be there.

Ruff

A2 should have had kaines outfit to fit her attitude and
considering she has her memory's at her core

Golnei

We know the fate of A2 and the rest of the current cast. Would that be a worthwhile story to tell, and would enough people care enough when they already know the outcome to play her story before the events of Automata?

A2
story DLC would be interesting not because of her ultimate fate, but the degree to which she's underexplored ingame. Even if her ultimate destination is the same, a chapter which gives more attention to
her sense of betrayal, survivor's guilt, conflict over fighting YoRHa units for her own survival, addressing how much of her self is defined by her implanted human memories, as well as the results of her continued interactions with the machine consciousness (and how that would be affected by her own machine core)
would be able to create compelling material with events that are already touched on, but not examined deeply.

In any case, I don't think it'd have much of an effect on how well such a DLC would sell - more screentime for
A2
as well as fanservicey interactions with existing characters, new music and new weapons + boss encounters would be enough to generate interest. Even if the gameplay ended up taking a back seat to other factors as far as Automata's overall appeal is concerned, it's still a much more significant selling point than it was for the original game and Drakengard 3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks pretty good. Hopefully the coliseum stuff is as meaty as KH's coliseum stuff for example

Golnei

She does? Where was this talked about in the game?

It's not mentioned in the game, but the YoRHa play brings up that
she has memories of growing up on a farm with her grandmother as her only relative - as established there, all YoRHa androids (at least in A2's generation) have false human memories. It's a tenuous link, but it seems like a popular theory; Emil's ambiguous "
isn't that right, Kaine
" comment in Automata didn't help diffuse it - even though he can also say it to 9S.

Battlechili

Banned
I didn't think I'd be this excited for costume DLC, but here I am. I had no idea I wanted a Kaine costume this much.

Also more music for the Jukebox sounds nice.

I'm not shocked or disgusted or anything like that other poster, but I'm not thrilled about the Kaine costume.
A2 is so clearly a match for Kaine that it seems obvious that 2B was given the costume strictly for 2booty pandering. I'm not opposed to fanservice costumes, but it feels like kind of a shitty thing to do when it's an established character's costume that holds a lot of significance to that character.

Plus, 2B's outward personality is closer to adult Brother Nier.

I didn't think I'd be this excited for costume DLC, but here I am. I had no idea I wanted a Kaine costume this much.

Also more music for the Jukebox sounds nice.

Did not pickup about music for jukebox but more music can only be a good thing. Managed to convert three of my friends to try the game and they're into enough to work towards ending e.

I would rather B2 and A2 got the other's alternate costume. Or maybe both get both. I know friends who are turned off by the fanservice nature of 2Bs design and I could probably get them to play the game if there was a more conservative outfit. Plus Adult brother NieR was stylin.

I think this DLC looks good if the fight is super top tier for this game. That looks to be the case. What I really want is a new side area the size of the Forest and castle with new weapons, quests, and bosses and FISHING.

I hope them joking about a sequel ends up being the case. I think one of the reasons NieR Automata resonated with me is that when I think about what my ultimate dream game, NieR Automata looks about as close as I've ever seen a game come to that. I'd love to see it refined further.

chrono01

I would rather B2 and A2 got the other's alternate costume. Or maybe both get both. I know friends who are turned off by the fanservice nature of 2Bs design and I could probably get them to play the game if there was a more conservative outfit. Plus Adult brother NieR was stylin.

I think this DLC looks good if the fight is super top tier for this game. That looks to be the case. What I really want is a new side area the size of the Forest and castle with new weapons, quests, and bosses and FISHING.

I hope them joking about a sequel ends up being the case. I think one of the reasons NieR Automata resonated with me is that when I think about what my ultimate dream game, NieR Automata looks about as close as I've ever seen a game come to that. I'd love to see it refined further.
Once you start Route C (or maybe it's after you clear it, I can't remember), you unlock the outfit she wears during the first part of it. If you're looking for "conservative", as well as badass, look no further!

Granted, you need to play up until that point to unlock it, but even still.

JCG

Rather than asking them to take these out, I think providing even more outfits and thus more options for everyone would solve this issue.

The gameplay could certainly be refined in interesting ways. The question is whether they could really continue the story without just resorting to another huge time skip in order to give themselves a sufficient degree of freedom.

Once you start Route C (or maybe it's after you clear it, I can't remember), you unlock the outfit she wears during the first part of it. If you're looking for "conservative", as well as badass, look no further!

Granted, you need to play up until that point to unlock it, but even still.

I mean by the time they get to that point
they're already done playing as 2B in the first place. I might as well spoil the fact that you really only play as 2B for the first 1/3 of the game.
It'd just be nice if there was something like A2's new costume at the start of the game for her since the single biggest reason I hear from my friends about why they probably won't give the game a shot is all the fan service with 2B's skirt and I'd just like more of my friends to play the game.
Rather than asking them to take these out, I think providing even more outfits and thus more options for everyone would solve this issue.
No arguments here.
The gameplay could certainly be refined in interesting ways. The question is whether they could really continue the story without just resorting to another huge time skip in order to give themselves a sufficient degree of freedom.
I mean, the original NieR ended with the
inevitable impending extinction of humanity
. That's a really hard situation to make a sequel story to and Taro Yoko and his team managed to do it and damn well as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they could figure out something. My vote is for
the human genetic information the androids managed to save and put on the moon is salvaged and a new human is created leading to a 3rd apocalypse in that Yoko Taro way.

Top Bottom