• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
you guys recommend buying the HK or the JP version?

If you are strapped for cash the HK store apparently is cheaper than the JP one.

Just remember all DLC needs to be obtained from said store region though.

Game updates can be done from any account.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
oh damn. It's not on the store yet right? Also, I see the OP mentions buying store cards, but would a CC work as well, or is that not recommended?

It depends if the HK store allows "Foreign" CCs or not. Main reason why people buy cards is usually due to stupid payment restrictions like that.

Guru-Guru

Banned
7 hours until I get home and can play this...So pumped. I never played the original Nier, but I am excited to play a PlatinumGames title again.

pezzie

oh damn. It's not on the store yet right? Also, I see the OP mentions buying store cards, but would a CC work as well, or is that not recommended?

Not yet. I don't know if CC works well or not, but I'd prefer not to use my CC on PSN anyway. I bought a HK PSN code from Play-asia, it costs $70USD for $500HKD (it was on sale for $66 this morning when I bought it).

The HK PSN store may update in 15 mins, or it may update in a few hours.

TissueBox

Game indeed gets harder once it opens up after a certain point*. Time to do some mini-grindin'..

*Ie once you get fast travel option.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It'll be a shortish single run time because every Platinum game that isn't built on a Kamiya lead budget is. I seriously doubt Square Enix has thrown insane amounts of money behind the spiritual successor to a niche, cult classic no matter how much buzz it's getting now. Platinum too are renowned for being able to deliver decent-to-high quality projects on a strict production timeline and budget. It seems pretty evident to me that Automata is exactly that; Platinum excelling at what they do best in action, wrapped in a narrative heavy action RPG skin made on a sensible budget.

And that's fine. That's okay. Because quality > quantity.

Additionally, despite what others are saying, I implore people unfamiliar with Taro's work to not buy too heavily into the "multiple endings" shtick to the point of believing it constitutes as entirely new adventures. The varied endings are consistently very important to his titles and in that respect yes, you will need to play multiple times to observe narrative and context changes to get the bigger picture (unless Automata is a drastic change from this). In that respect indeed a single playthrough is not the entire game and thus the total true play time will be greater. That being said, in pretty much every one of his games an overwhelming majority of the playable content remains the same. Changes are mainly delegated to cutscenes, dialogue, and contextual themes. Unless a different approach has been taken to Automata, expect to run the same dungeons, fight the same groups, and conquer the same bosses.

DKL

Not yet. I don't know if CC works well or not, but I'd prefer not to use my CC on PSN anyway. I bought a HK PSN code from Play-asia, it costs $70USD for $500HKD (it was on sale for $66 this morning when I bought it).

The HK PSN store may update in 15 mins, or it may update in a few hours.

Actually, can I use Paypal on HK store?

That will make this a lot easier, plus I won't have loose change.

Dio

Banned
It'll be a shortish single run time because every Platinum game that isn't built on a Kamiya lead budget is. I seriously doubt Square Enix has thrown insane amounts of money behind the spiritual successor to a niche, cult classic no matter how much buzz it's getting now. Platinum too are renowned for being able to deliver decent-to-high quality projects on a strict production timeline and budget. It seems pretty evident to me that Automata is exactly that; Platinum excelling at what they do best in action, wrapped in a narrative heavy action RPG skin made on a sensible budget.

And that's fine. That's okay. Because quality > quantity.

Additionally, despite what others are saying, I implore people unfamiliar with Taro's work to not buy too heavily into the "multiple endings" shtick to the point of believing it constitutes as entirely new adventures. The varied endings are consistently very important to his titles and in that respect yes, you will need to play multiple times to observe narrative and context changes to get the bigger picture (unless Automata is a drastic change from this). In that respect indeed a single playthrough is not the entire game and thus the total true play time will be greater. That being said, in pretty much every one of his games an overwhelming majority of the playable content remains the same. Changes are mainly delegated to cutscenes, dialogue, and contextual themes. Unless a different approach has been taken to Automata, expect to run the same dungeons, fight the same groups, and conquer the same bosses.

Yeah, that's fine, but the reason why I was reserving judgement is because Drakengard 3's separate endings had different/modified levels, new/modified boss fights, new enemies, and spanned different lengths of time/focused on different things, and that was his most recent title. Your description is very true if we're just going by Nier 1. Obviously, there was some reused content and bosses in D3 but it wasn't even close to being the same progression.

I still have yet to hear about how this game handles its 'routes.'

pezzie

Actually, can I use Paypal on HK store?

That will make this a lot easier, plus I won't have loose change.

I didn't go all the way, but on the HK PSN store I just added a random game to cart and went to checkout and it did have a Paypal option.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, that's fine, but the reason why I was reserving judgement is because Drakengard 3's separate endings had different/modified levels, new/modified boss fights, new enemies, and spanned different lengths of time/focused on different things, and that was his most recent title. Your description is very true if we're just going by Nier 1. Obviously, there was some reused content and bosses in D3 but it wasn't even close to being the same progression.

I still have yet to hear about how this game handles its 'routes.'

Totally agree, and yeah, without knowing how exactly the routes are structure it's hard to say just what constitutes as new content towards different endings.

I just want to dampen expectations towards people who haven't been exposed to Taro's work before. GAF also seem to go through this song and dance with almost every Platinum game too. Rule of Platinum; if it's not a Kamiya game, it's probably relatively short in length, but you'll play it a hundred times because it's fucking awesome.

NG+ onward to Ending B
is similar to the first NieR. More cutscenes and whatnot.

Also, just read that the JP store updated. You guys can go play now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Up on JPSN!

...8400 yen. I am insane to be buying this with the U.S. version so close.

DKF590

Really hope this is a mistake. Already put 500HKD into my PSN. The Asia PS blog post for the week listed today as the release date.

JayEH

The blog post said The English/Japanese version would be up today but that says chinese and korean as well. Maybe it's a different version.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
With the speed this is downloading at, I'll be lucky to play anything tonight. It's 48.20 GB total and playable at 10.36 GB, but PSN is going so slow right now for me.

Does the japanese version comes with english subtitles too?

Yes!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Guys calm down
C5ErYkiUoAEcLR4.jpg

TissueBox

The blog post said The English/Japanese version would be up today but that says chinese and korean as well. Maybe it's a different version.

Yeah this seems more likely. Like a previous poster said it looks like a separate localization thing.
We hope. xD

Edit: nbnt got pics proof. ^^'

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
It's common that SIE localize the third-party Japanese game to Chinese/Korean.
Usually it would release much earlier than western ,but this game is an exception
But 4/27 is a bit late, pirate might come first and crush market

Top Bottom