• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

takoyaki

I initially read the news as "Nintendo is shutting down "Wii/DSi Online services" and thought that Wiiware would be gone as well. That led me to a little research into hidden Wiiware games on the Japanese Wii. There's a bunch of games that were only released on the Japanese Wiiware, but most of them are Card-games/Karaoke/Brand-cash-ins.

Two games I previously bought and played were the Sega game "Pole's Big Adventure" and Grezzo's last game "Line Attack Heroes" before they went on doing the port of Ocarina of Time. Both games were a blast to play.

The one game I just bought with my 800points that must have been on the console since 2010 or so was "Discipline: Teikoku no Tanjou". It's a weird little game created by Kazutoshi Iida. He was in charge of "Aquanauts Holiday" and "Tail of the Sun" while working at Artdink and later on, he was one of the creators responsible for "Doshin the Giant". It looks very much like the funky Japanese PS1 games from the 90s:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/08/first_impressions_discipline_wiiware_japan

I was wondering if anyone knows of other hidden gems that lurk in the depths of the Japanese Wii Store. Nintendo might not shut it down right away, but it'll be gone sooner or later and I don't wanna pay 500bucks in 5 years just to get a used Wii with "that one game I missed out on" (Satellaview-style).

It's a pretty niche subject, so I think GAF is my best bet ;-)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I just heard from a friend that Fire Emblem: Shadow Warrior's online shop has some exclusive weaponry, unavailable elsewhere. More specifically, the Elysian Whip, which is apparently the only way to promote units into Falcoknights.

No idea how important this is, but if that interests you, best get that before May.

I just heard from a friend that Fire Emblem: Shadow Warrior's online shop has some exclusive weaponry, unavailable elsewhere. More specifically, the Elysian Whip, which is apparently the only way to promote units into Falcoknights.

No idea how important this is, but if that interests you, best get that before May.
The only problem is the online shop is daily inventory and you need to buy it for each playthrough. Basically in future you'll just have to use an action replay for the item.

jakomocha

Yeah, I assumed they wouldn't get rid of download play but I wasn't sure if Nintendo considered that part of the WFC service even though it doesn't require Wi-Fi.

Two games I previously bought and played were the Sega game "Pole's Big Adventure" and Grezzo's last game "Line Attack Heroes" before they went on doing the port of Ocarina of Time. Both games were a blast to play.

Pole's Big Adventure is hilarious (and fun)! Sega full on riffing on Super Mario Bros./the NES and generally surprising and messing with the player. The continual Super Mario Land "Oh! Daisy"-style switcheroo on the damsel(s) in distress never ceases to amuse. I've been really curious about Line Attack Heroes, and was really disappointed that neither of the two of those ever wound up coming out in North America.

He was in charge of "Aquanauts Holiday" and "Tail of the Sun" while working at Artdink and later on, he was one of the creators responsible for "Doshin the Giant". It looks very much like the funky Japanese PS1 games from the 90s:

Well, that explains a lot. I always got Aquanaut's Holiday vibes from Doshin the Giant, but I'd always just chalked it up to the both of them coming out during the same experimental period where developers were figuring out what far-fetched things they can do with 3D and discs (or disks, as the Doshin format may be). Odd, but oddly compelling games, those.

I was wondering if anyone knows of other hidden gems that lurk in the depths of the Japanese Wii Store. Nintendo might not shut it down right away, but it'll be gone sooner or later and I don't wanna pay 500bucks in 5 years just to get a used Wii with "that one game I missed out on" (Satellaview-style).

It's a pretty niche subject, so I think GAF is my best bet ;-)

I felt like making myself angry all over again about all of the Japanese exclusives and North American (and usually also European) Wii owners missed, so here's a rundown of what are by my count the most interesting games that are only available on the Japanese Wii Shop[ping] Channel. There are a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WiiWare_games

The WiiWare games that you listed are probably the most high-profile Japanese exclusives, but these are interesting too:
Downtown Nekketsu Dodgeball Miracle Kidz Yes No No 800
The most recent sequel to Super Dodge Ball for the NES​
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini Prope, Namco Bandai, Xseed Games Yes No No 1000
Cut-down version of former Sonic Team leader Yuji Naka's most recent (released) game, if you don't want to buy the disc retail version​
Phalanx Zoom Inc. Yes No No 500
(SNES/Sharp X68000-era also-ran shmup selling for cheap)​
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ikuzo! Arashi no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Mezase! Hikari no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
Pokémon Fushigi no Dungeon: Susume! Honō no Bōkendan Nintendo, Chunsoft Yes No No 1200
I have no idea if this content is or isn't in the Pikachu Mysterious Dungeon disc retail game that came out on Wii, but if you're into Roguelikes, these are probably relevant​
Princess Ai Monogatari (no longer available) Sunsoft Yes No No 500
No longer available, but it was the digital version of a manga about a fantasy princess version of Courtney Love, co-written by Courtney Love. This falls into the "500 point morbid curiosity" category​
Tsūshin Taikyoku: World Chess
[Available in Europe as the disc game Wii Chess] Nintendo Yes No No 1000

A chess game developed by Nintendo​

You didn't mention Virtual Console, but while they're rereleases, some of the original games are hard to find, and most of these are probably better and more interesting purchases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(Japan)

Famicom
The Hyrule Fantasy: Zelda no Densetsu Nintendo December 2, 2006 A
Zelda no Densetsu 2: Link no Bōken (The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure)[a] Nintendo January 23, 2007 A
Hikari Shinwa: Palutena no Kagami (Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror)[a] Nintendo January 23, 2007 A
Metroid[a] Nintendo March 4, 2008 A
Dracula II: Noroi no Fūin (Dracula II: The Seal of the Curse)[a] Konami October 28, 2008 A

Famicom Disk System versions of Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Kid Icarus, Metroid, and Castlevania 2 with higher quality audio, and saving instead of passwords in the latter three​
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition) Konami April 24, 2007 A
Other regions only got the TG-16/PCE version, and this version has some unique, great music tracks​
Esper Dream[a] Konami October 2, 2007 A
Konami action RPG​
Devil World Nintendo January 22, 2008 A
Miyamoto's more varied Pac-Man clone, Koji Kondo's musical debut, and the protagonist Tamagon is the original source/beginning of Yoshi's design (his egg cracking will sound very familiar)​
Joy Mech Fight Nintendo March 11, 2008 A
8-bit fighting game with Rayman-style limbless robots​
Nazo no Murasame Jō (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)[a] Nintendo August 19, 2008 A
This one may be the crown jewel of regional exclusives for the Famicom. Like Zelda 1, but more linear, more action/reflexes-oriented. Japanese-themed Koji Kondo soundtrack.​
Atlantis no Nazo (The Mystery of Atlantis) Sunsoft December 2, 2008 A
Dense and confusing platformer that has you searching for hidden treasure and hidden exits, but fun and challenging once you get the hang of it. Maybe an acquired taste?​
Takeshi no Chōsenjō (Takeshi's Challenge) Taito March 31, 2009 B
Notorious, funny (funnier if you aren't the target) master-level trolling in game form by actor Beat Takeshi. The 25,000 hits to kill the final boss would probably be easier to manage with the Wii's suspend/restore points.​
Akumajō Densetsu (Devil's Castle Legend) Konami April 21, 2009 A
Castlevania III with significantly higher quality audio. The closest the NES/Famicom comes to sounding like an orchestra.​
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zenin Shūgō! (Downtown Special: Its Kunio's Period Piece, Assemble Everyone!) Arc System Works May 12, 2009 A
River City Ransom sequel (prequel?) set in ancient Japan​
Final Fantasy II Square Enix June 16, 2009 A
Final Fantasy III Square Enix July 21, 2009 A

The 8-bit versions of these have still never seen any form of release outside of Japan. III is really good.​
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light) Nintendo October 20, 2009 A
Fire Emblem Gaiden Nintendo November 4, 2009 A

Nintendo's strategy RPGs with permadeath​
Ganbare Goemon 2 Konami January 24, 2012 A
Probably the best 8-bit Goemon, structured similarly to Legend of the Mystical Ninja​

Super Famicom
Akumajō Dracula (Devil's Castle Dracula) Konami December 2, 2006 A
Out elsewhere as Super Castlevania IV, but this is the uncensored version with the dungeon level filled with blood instead of slime, and a much cooler/creepier title screen​
Mario no Super Picross Nintendo December 19, 2006 A
PAL territories got this too. Addictive Picross puzzle game. Lots of bang for the buck.​
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War) Nintendo January 30, 2007 A
Shin Megami Tensei (True Goddess Reincarnation) Atlus February 13, 2007 A
Shin Megami Tensei II (True Goddess Reincarnation II) Atlus September 7, 2010 A
Shin Megami Tensei if... (True Goddess Reincarnation if...) Atlus February 1, 2011 A
Majin Tensei (Demon God Reincarnation) Atlus September 6, 2011 A
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (Demon God Reincarnation II: Spiral Nemesis) Atlus December 13, 2011 A
Kyūyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei I・II Atlus July 3, 2012 A

ALL of the SNES Megaten games are present, including the Majin strategy RPGs, and the "Kyuuyaku" remake of the two Namco 8-bit games.​
Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fūrai no Shiren (Mysterious Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer) Chunsoft July 24, 2007 A
Classic roguelike​
Panel de Pon Nintendo November 27, 2007 A
The Super Famicom/Japanese version of Tetris Attack is available in Japan, so instead of the "way to go!" N64 Pokemon-themed one, this one is extra girly​
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no Dokidoki Daibouken (DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's Heart-Pounding Great Adventure) Hudson Soft/Konami[2] February 26, 2008 A
This one is out worldwide, it's just really good and the original cartridge is expensive now​
Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu (Go Goemon 2: The Odd General Magginesu) Konami May 27, 2008 A
Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijūrokubē no Karakuri Manji Gatame Konami September 15, 2009 A

Japan got 3 of the (really fun) 4 SF Goemon games, instead of just Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon 1)​
Tactics Ogre Square Enix February 10, 2009 C
Bahamut Lagoon Square Enix September 29, 2009 B
Romancing SaGa Square Enix November 24, 2009 C
Romancing SaGa 2 Square Enix March 23, 2010 B
Romancing SaGa 3 Square Enix September 21, 2010 B
Final Fantasy V Square Enix January 18, 2011 A
Rudra no Hihō (Treasure of Rudra) Square Enix June 7, 2011 A

Square​
Clock Tower Sunsoft August 3, 2010 B
Really interesting gameplay experiment for the SF, point-and-click early survival horror​
Kunio-kun no Dodgeball da yo Zenin Shūgō! (It's Kunio's Dodgeball, Assemble Everyone!) Arc System Works February 14, 2012 A
Super Dodge Ball sequel​

Mega Drive
The Hybrid Front Sega May 29, 2007 A
Strategy/military sim (one of the last Mega Drive releases in Japan), with really excellent music​
Bare Knuckle III: Tekken Seiten Sega October 2, 2007 B
The Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 is generally accepted to be a much better game (opinions on the randomly-generated music notwithstanding), more nuance to attacks than SOR/BN2​
Dyna Brothers 2 Special Sega October 23, 2007 A
Former Japanese Sega Channel exclusive (and the only game on the Shop Channel worldwide that only got a Japanese Sega Channel release), this may be the only way to get this version of the game​
Gynoug Nippon Computer Systems May 20, 2008 A
Additional shmup weirdness (albeit less over the top) from the creators of the Cho Aniki series​

PC Engine
Gradius Konami August 7, 2007 A
Salamander Konami September 11, 2007 A

Nearly arcade-perfect versions of Gradius and Life Force. Life Force/Salamander doesn't have instant respawning after death in this version though, just checkpoints.​
Ai Cho Aniki (Love Super Big Brothers)[a] Hudson Soft/Konami[2] December 18, 2007 A
The rest of the world got the first one, but this is the first one where they really went all out on the camp​
Dungeon Explorer II[a] Hudson Soft/Konami[2] February 5, 2008 A
Rest of the world only received the first one on Wii​
KiKi KaiKai (Mysterious Ghost World) Taito July 8, 2008 A
Arcade conversion of the precursor to the Pocky & Rocky series​
Parasol Stars Taito August 19, 2008 A
Sequel to Bubble Bobble (I would argue much closer to the fun of Bubble Bobble than Rainbow Islands was), only Japan got this on Virtual Console​
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: PC Bangai Hen (Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Bonus PC Version)[a] Naxat Soft September 30, 2008 A
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: CD Soccer Hen (Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer CD Version) Naxat Soft November 4, 2008 A

PC Engine versions of Super Dodge Ball and Nintendo World Cup​
Cadash Taito November 11, 2008 A
Rastan Saga 2 Taito January 6, 2009 A

Side-scrolling action RPGs, rest of the world didn't receive these on Wii​
Dai Makaimura (Great Demon World Village) (SuperGrafx title) Capcom February 3, 2009 A
Arguably a better conversion of Ghouls & Ghosts than the MD/Genesis version, but it has limited continues, making it extremely difficult to complete. Considering that almost no one bought a Supergrafx at the time, I'd assume that the original card of this is probably pretty rare.​

Neo-Geo
Waku Waku 7 D4 Enterprise April 27, 2010 A
The weirdest fighting game of the Neo-Geo's expansive and expensive fighting game library.​
Flying Power Disc (delisted on December 24, 2013) D4 Enterprise June 22, 2010 A
Also no longer available, but Flying Power Disc/Windjammers is a fun one. Like an evolved version of Pong meets air hockey, Neo-Geo-style. I hear that Giant Bomb loves it.​

MSX
Konami put a ton of support in on here on the Wii, and only Japan received any of these. Scrolling on their MSX shmups is supposed to be mostly pretty choppy and weaker than other versions.
Metal Gear Konami December 8, 2009 A
Quarth Konami February 2, 2010 A
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake Konami March 30, 2010 B

Virtual Console Arcade
Namco also released a ton of arcade games on the VCA, but only in Japan. A number of these are the only home releases of the arcade versions.
Solvalou Namco Bandai Games March 26, 2009 A
StarBlade Namco Bandai Games April 21, 2009 A

3D games that inspired awe in 1991, now with motion/pointer controls​
Space Invaders Taito April 7, 2009 A
I'd rather be playing Galaga, but this is the actual arcade version instead of a SNES/PCE port.​
Numan Athletics Namco Bandai Games April 28, 2009 A
4-player Namco version of Track & Field: Insane edition​
Splatterhouse Namco Bandai Games May 26, 2009 B
More violent and better quality audio than the TG-16/PCE version​
Rolling Thunder Namco Bandai Games July 21, 2009 B
Rolling Thunder 2 Namco Bandai Games October 27, 2009 A
Phelios Namco Bandai Games July 28, 2009 A

Cosmo Gang the Video Namco Bandai Games August 4, 2009 A
Namco's "Parodius" version of Galaga, fun​
Pac-Mania Namco Bandai Games August 4, 2009 A
Knuckle Heads Namco Bandai Games August 18, 2009 B
Dig Dug Namco Bandai Games October 20, 2009 A
Dig Dug II Namco Bandai Games October 20, 2009 A
Galaga Namco Bandai Games November 24, 2009 A
Toy Pop Namco Bandai Games November 24, 2009 A
Rompers Namco Bandai Games December 1, 2009 A
Moon Cresta Hamster March 9, 2010 A

takoyaki

so here's a rundown of what are by my count the most interesting games that are only available on the Japanese Wii Shop[ping] Channel. There are a lot.

Thank you so much, I will go through your list over the weekend. There seem to be some very interesting games in there, thanks for digging them up without getting buried under a pile of Mahjong games ;-)

Thank you so much, I will go through your list over the weekend. There seem to be some very interesting games in there, thanks for digging them up without getting buried under a pile of Mahjong games ;-)

You're very welcome! I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've also heard rumors that at least a few of the Famicom Disk System games have their loading times and change disk side screens removed (let me know if this is true if you get any of them!). If that's actually true, with the improved audio and save features, that would pretty much make these the definitive releases of those games, other than the lack of other improvements (balanced leveling system, multicolor dungeons) to the Western version of Zelda II.

jimi_dini

Wanted to mention in here that Last Story (PAL) is quite active during the weekends.

I'm almost constantly playing coop with 4+ players. I'm missing almost all of the deathmatch weapons + deathmatch dyes though.

clav

I hope this doesn't set a precedent for the current Nintendo gen.

Is there some sort of going away party on GAF before Nintendo takes down the infrastructure completely?

Riki

I hope this doesn't set a precedent for the current Nintendo gen.

Is there some sort of going away party on GAF before Nintendo takes down the infrastrucutre completely?

I'm pretty sure the only reason this is being done is because Nintendo used GameSpy for their online and with GameSpy going away, they can't keep up NWF.

Eusis

Wanted to mention in here that Last Story (PAL) is quite active during the weekends.

I'm almost constantly playing coop with 4+ players. I'm missing almost all of the deathmatch weapons + deathmatch dyes though.
Shit, I've gotta play some Last Story before it's too late. Fucking GameSpy... though I guess it's the fact a mobile developer is literally killing off a portion of console and some PC games is the most frustrating aspect of it all. :/
I'm pretty sure the only reason this is being done is because Nintendo used GameSpy for their online and with GameSpy going away, they can't keep up NWF.
I thought you quoted an older post there initially. Yeah, this is completely down to GameSpy being dismantled by their owners, they were killing off access to games, demanding grossly higher fees to keep them up, and even were somewhat condescending in their page about continuing your license. And now they're just shutting it all down for everyone period. Nintendo's been crazy good about long term support in this past, so it definitely reeks of a third party deciding to pull the plug.

I'll probably play smash the last day/hours to see what happens, I tried it with halo 2 but I remember it kept going after it was suppose to turn off.

like we were all saying bye bye and random stuff since i was in a big team battle with 16 people and then it didn't turn off and we all laughed

Hurry! Everyone get on Wii Speak and let's speak to each other with that almost useless accessory before it becomes totally useless.

Riki

Sucks. I can't see why they need to shut this down already. And thanks for warning us way in advance.
Because:

I thought you quoted an older post there initially. Yeah, this is completely down to GameSpy being dismantled by their owners, they were killing off access to games, demanding grossly higher fees to keep them up, and even were somewhat condescending in their page about continuing your license. And now they're just shutting it all down for everyone period. Nintendo's been crazy good about long term support in this past, so it definitely reeks of a third party deciding to pull the plug.
And we've known for a few months.

Tried playing some Pokemon Colosseum for Wii this weekend but no one ever connected :(, maybe I should try closer to the end date.

Sort of a morbid thought, but all those Pokemon unintentionally left on the DPP/HGSS GTS servers are just going to go poof and disappear forever.

Also completing the Pokedex on those games is going to become much, much harder.

Boogiepop

Oh man. Just realized: This screws with Picross DS since you can't hold all the downloadable puzzles on it at once. I don't mind the multiplayer going down but stuff like that disappearing is a little disheartening.

Sort of a morbid thought, but all those Pokemon unintentionally left on the DPP/HGSS GTS servers are just going to go poof and disappear forever.

Also completing the Pokedex on those games is going to become much, much harder.

Let's say goodbye to those 5000 shiny Mews, and that Rattata they wanted to trade for a Rayquaza.

On that second part, not really. You can always set up a sendpkm on your computer, download the legit event .pkm files and get them on your DS. Also, you can still trade locally.

3bdelilah

Banned
Nintendo doesn't satisfy my online needs, so frankly I really couldn't care less. Sucks for the people who did care for it, though. But I'd rather play SP or offline MP concerning Ninty games.

NateDog

Ah poop. I already have a few Wii games but don't have a Wii yet, shame I won't get the chance to try co-op on The Last Story.

Im currently playing Soul Silver and im hoping to somehow transfer my Pokemon to X/Y, is there any way of doing that?

I also purchased, Platinum, and White 2.

Im just starting to get into Pokemon so sorry for the noob question.

zma1013

I need to trade someone some friends coins or whatever they're called in Metroid Prime 3 to unlock the rest of the art and extras. It's kinda dumb how there's no other way to unlock them.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is there some sort of going away party on GAF before Nintendo takes down the infrastructure completely?
Hopefully, or at least we should organize one.
I've been thinking of making such a thread now that we're down ta nearly the 2 week mark. Still in the process of sorting through infos I've scribbled down an whatnot but I could have it made later on tonight unless someone beats me to the punch~!

KHlover

Banned
This shutdown is one of the results of WiiU failure.

lmao. GameSpy got depressive because the WiiU sells so bad and now commits suicide? Why didn't we think of that earlier. Quick everyone, BUY A WIIU AND SHOW GAMESPY THAT THERE ARE STILL REASONS TO LIVE!!!

dose

Is there a way to fool the DS into thinking you still have a WEP setup? I don't fancy messing with my router settings and downgrading...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've been thinking of making such a thread now that we're down ta nearly the 2 week mark. Still in the process of sorting through infos I've scribbled down an whatnot but I could have it made later on tonight unless someone beats me to the punch~!

Great! Looking forward to it.

Andrefpvs

Im currently playing Soul Silver and im hoping to somehow transfer my Pokemon to X/Y, is there any way of doing that?

I also purchased, Platinum, and White 2.

Im just starting to get into Pokemon so sorry for the noob question.

Yes, there is! SoulSilver and Platinum are Generation IV games, White 2 is a Generation V game, and X/Y are Generation VI games. What does this mean? It means that since you can only transfer Pokémon to the immediate next generation, you can effectively transfer Pokémon from Gen IV to Gen VI!

Here's the process:
- Play SoulSilver and/or Platinum. Catch Pokémon.
- To send those Pokémon to White 2, you must first beat White 2's main story. So play White 2. Then go to a facility called the Poké Transfer Lab in Route 15. More details here. Edit: Forgot to say that you need a second DS or 3DS to do this. I borrowed one from a friend.
- Play Pokémon X/Y. To transfer Pokémon from White 2 to X/Y, you must download Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter on the 3DS. More details here.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom