• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is! SoulSilver and Platinum are Generation IV games, White 2 is a Generation V game, and X/Y are Generation VI games. What does this mean? It means that since you can only transfer Pokémon to the immediate next generation, you can effectively transfer Pokémon from Gen IV to Gen VI!

Here's the process:
- Play SoulSilver and/or Platinum. Catch Pokémon.
- To send those Pokémon to White 2, you must first beat White 2's main story. So play White 2. Then go to a facility called the Poké Transfer Lab in Route 15. More details here. Edit: Forgot to say that you need a second DS or 3DS to do this. I borrowed one from a friend.
- Play Pokémon X/Y. To transfer Pokémon from White 2 to X/Y, you must download Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter on the 3DS. More details here.

Have fun!

Evrything up to the Pokebank is local right, so, WFC going down doesnt affect it?

Wichu

Evrything up to the Pokebank is local right, so, WFC going down doesnt affect it?

WFC is completely unneeded in transferring Pokémon up to X/Y.
Gen 3->4 uses the dual slot function of the DS.
Gen 4->5 uses local wireless.
Gen 5->6 uses Nintendo Network.

Gameboy415

I spent several hours on Sunday downloading tons of DS DLC content and I still have a lot more I need to get before the cut-off!

In case others want to grab the same content before it is lost forever, here is a list of games/DLC I've gotten thus far:

-100 Classic Books - 10 free DLC books
-Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 - there are a handful of Nintendo-created DLC puzzles
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Madness - TONS of DLC puzzles, need more than one cart to get them all
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - lots of DLC puzzles here too
-Picross DS - download puzzles from 10 older Picross games, requires 10 carts to get them all (I actually ordered 9 extra copies of the game because I love Picross / am insane)
-Picross 3D - weekly puzzle packs and challenge packs, requires 2 carts to get them all
-Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs - download missions
-Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - download missions
-Professor Layton (all) - weekly puzzles
-WarioWare DIY - downloadable puzzles, requires 2 carts to get them all (my 2nd cart is on the way)

Stuff I still need to grab DLC for:
-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - TONS of downloadable maps/missions
-Dragon Quest IX - downloadable maps, not sure if these are still available...
-Daigasso Band Brothers DX/Jam with the Band - TONS of downloadable songs
-Fossil Fighters Champions - apparently there are downloadable fossils but I haven't figured out how to get them yet
-Heroes of Mana - apparently there are downloadable missions?
-Professor Layton and the Last Spector - apparently there is some kind of DLC in the 'Layton Life' mode

Jucksalbe

Banned
-Picross DS - download puzzles from 10 older Picross games, requires 10 carts to get them all (I actually ordered 9 extra copies of the game because I love Picross / am insane)

Wouldn't you already have those games if you love Picross so much? ;)
Before someone else goes crazy, remember Europe got way less puzzles.

Thanks, I didn't know about these. I'll have to check them out later.

eggwolio

We aren't alone, brother. I spent hours driving to GameStop stores all over Dallas Fort Worth last weekend(May 26 & 27) to get nine copies of Picross. They were running a promotion where if you purchased six or more pre-owned games, you got forty percent off. Brought them down to like a buck eighty apiece. Lots of work, though, and lots of eye rolling from the fiancée. Worth it.

Gameboy415

Wouldn't you already have those games if you love Picross so much? ;)
Before someone else goes crazy, remember Europe got way less puzzles.
Well yes and no...8 of the games that have downloadable puzzles available are from the 'NP Picross" series which were only available via 'Nintendo Power' download stations in Japan.
The games had to be purchased/downloaded onto special, blank Super Famicom carts.
In the 5 years I spent living in Japan, I picked up a few of the special SF carts but wasn't able to track down a single one with any of the NP Picross games on it.
I didn't want to chance missing out on them again! :)

We aren't alone, brother. I spent hours driving to GameStop stores all over Dallas Fort Worth last weekend(May 26 & 27) to get nine copies of Picross. They were running a promotion where if you purchased six or more pre-owned games, you got forty percent off. Brought them down to like a buck eighty apiece. Lots of work, though, and lots of eye rolling from the fiancée. Worth it.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my madness, haha. :)
Unfortunately for me, none of my local stores had any copies in stock so I had to resort to various online stores (eBay, Best Buy, & SecondSpin, to be specific).
Here's hoping they all show up in time...

Is there anyway to get around having to use a WEP connection?

I can set up my WPA2 connection in the advance settings of my DSi, but when I load up a game. (DQIX) The setting won't register. :/

Datschge

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a "fix" in place for setting up your own NWFC clone server yet?

There is not "fix" besides completely reimplementing the whole server communication necessary for online to work.

Some German people over at wii-homebrew.com are in the process of doing just that for MKW (with patches applied this game will be playable after May 20th). Other games need people willing to test and analyse the client server communication, and the development on the MKW side naturally takes precedence for the project leads.

WLAN support has to be included in the games for DS games, and DS games couldn't support anything better than WEP as the original DS hardware didn't. Maybe there is some way to hack it in, but at this point that's really late unless the server side of things get reimplemented...

Persona7

Banned

I can set up my WPA2 connection in the advance settings of my DSi, but when I load up a game. (DQIX) The setting won't register. :/

Just set up a WEP key for a few minutes, do what you need to do while watching your router log and then revert it when you are done.

You can also turn your routers signal to low.

Gameboy415

It depends on your router, but you may be able to set up a temporary 'Guest' wireless network using WEP (or no security).

On a semi-related note, if you have a 3DS and name your guest network 'attwifi', you will be able to access Nintendo Zone content. :)

Just set up a WEP key for a few minutes, do what you need to do while watching your router log and then revert it when you are done.

You can also turn your routers signal to low.
I really don't like messing with my router settings.

Why did Nintendo have to be so archaic? :/

Datschge

I spent several hours on Sunday downloading tons of DS DLC content and I still have a lot more I need to get before the cut-off!

In case others want to grab the same content before it is lost forever, here is a list of games/DLC I've gotten thus far:

-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Madness - TONS of DLC puzzles, need more than one cart to get them all
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - lots of DLC puzzles here too
-Picross 3D - weekly puzzle packs and challenge packs, requires 2 carts to get them all
-WarioWare DIY - downloadable puzzles, requires 2 carts to get them all (my 2nd cart is on the way)

-Fossil Fighters Champions - apparently there are downloadable fossils but I haven't figured out how to get them yet
-Professor Layton and the Last Spector - apparently there is some kind of DLC in the 'Layton Life' mode

For general preservation it would be really great if someone could do this while logging the complete communication with e.g. Wireshark.

Redd

Hmmmm, not much time. I need to get around to transferring all my sentimental pokemon to at least White 2 before the 20th. You would think Nintendo would make some exceptions for Mario Kart and Pokemon since they're still pretty active. -_-

Hmmmm, not much time. I need to get around to transferring all my sentimental pokemon to at least White 2 before the 20th. You would think Nintendo would make some exceptions for Mario Kart and Pokemon since they're still pretty active. -_-

It's not Nintendo's call...

eggwolio

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my madness, haha. :)
Unfortunately for me, none of my local stores had any copies in stock so I had to resort to various online stores (eBay, Best Buy, & SecondSpin, to be specific).
Here's hoping they all show up in time...

I'm also glad there's at least one other loony out there. Here's my Picross set:

E6yqrGE.jpg

I also snagged a second Picross 3D and 100 Classic Books. Haha.

randomkid

This is a nice little mini summary. This whole dumb fiasco has also forced me to finally play Solatorobo and that's a happy consequence, but I have no idea how long I need to play to unlock Quest Download, I got past the first couple savepoints and it's still not showing up.

donny2112

I believe some of the Nintendo-created puzzles aged out, so the earlier released ones would only be available on someone's DS who downloaded them before aging out. I know I have a lot of the earlier ones, and didn't delete any of the Nintendo ones, due to that.

Berordn

Pokemon doesn't lose the ability to transfer when WFC goes down, that's all based on local wireless.

eggwolio

I believe some of the Nintendo-created puzzles aged out, so the earlier released ones would only be available on someone's DS who downloaded them before aging out. I know I have a lot of the earlier ones, and didn't delete any of the Nintendo ones, due to that.

You should run a service where gaffers can send you their cartridges and a return envelope and a couple bucks and you put the puzzles on there and send it back.

Oh man. Just realized: This screws with Picross DS since you can't hold all the downloadable puzzles on it at once. I don't mind the multiplayer going down but stuff like that disappearing is a little disheartening.

This stuff is all archived in save files, so it'll all still be available at least via flash cart.

I'm also glad there's at least one other loony out there. Here's my Picross set:

All that effort and you didn't even label the carts to distinguish them from each other?

Gameboy415

This is a nice little mini summary. This whole dumb fiasco has also forced me to finally play Solatorobo and that's a happy consequence, but I have no idea how long I need to play to unlock Quest Download, I got past the first couple savepoints and it's still not showing up.

From what I've read, the US version of the game already has all the DLC on the cart, it just needs to be unlocked by completing the game.
(I believe the Japanese/Euro versions actually need it to be downloaded though)

Wait, didn't know about this. Anyone know more specifics on what this is and how to get it?

I'm not 100% sure myself, but here's what I read:
"In London Life, send/receive enough gifts from friends in Segal's Social Club to unlock rare items and special visitors."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still need to download Jam with the Band tracks. Have to try and make time this Friday to do it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there a more efficient way to download maps in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin? It seems that I can only ever download one map until it disconnects and I have to reconnect for the next map....and that takes sooo long.

Gameboy415

I still need to download Jam with the Band tracks. Have to try and make time this Friday to do it.

Same here! I have the Euro version and just got a new copy of the JP version off eBay to load up with songs as well.

Is there a more efficient way to download maps in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin? It seems that I can only ever download one map until it disconnects and I have to reconnect for the next map....and that takes sooo long.

Not that I know of...I agree it's a huge pain! :S

nmanma

Wait, didn't know about this. Anyone know more specifics on what this is and how to get it?

Found this on gamefaqs. It seems you need to receive gifts from friends in Segal's Social Club (using friend codes). Every 10 gifts you'll get a rare (exclusive?) item, and after the 5th and 10th item you'll unlock a character as well (
Celeste
and
Future Luke
)

Yuterald

I had no idea this was happening. Pretty awful. What about those exclusive items in Contact's wi-fi mode, lol! I don't have the time to start digging into my library to see what games had unique items/unlock through multi-player/online mode, etc. Oh well.

News like this makes me hesitant on purchasing their most recent console because features get removed within 5-6 years for games, ouch.

I still play Mario Kart Wii, not all the time but once every two weeks maybe and there's always people playing.

Gotta be a way for people to at least run servers for these games on PC if its costing Nintendo...I know Dolphin has a way to connect to Nintendo Online, wonder if its possible for them to setup a method to get the actual Wii Consoles to divert traffic of their games and still use online functionality?

Datschge

Gotta be a way for people to at least run servers for these games on PC if its costing Nintendo...I know Dolphin has a way to connect to Nintendo Online, wonder if its possible for them to setup a method to get the actual Wii Consoles to divert traffic of their games and still use online functionality?

The only way is reverse engineering the communication and reimplementing the server. An effort to do this is already far along for MKW, but no other games afaik.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
this is pretty early. didnt MS just turn off live support for the xbox 1 a little while ago? and that was 2 gens ago.

Persona7

Banned
Did they ever figure it out for Monster Hunter Tri? I remembering reading some stuff about it but they needed captured packets from the sign in and they were trying to track down someone who captured all that data with wireshark.

Datschge

Monster Hunter Tri is a corner case as it only uses the first login layer from GameSpy, then switches to a completely different system.

Of course reverse engineering is going to be harder once there are no more original servers running! 13 days to go, logging communication using wireshark isn't that hard.

For general preservation it would be really great if someone could do this while logging the complete communication with e.g. Wireshark.
This site has some more info and is collecting such dumps.

On another note there seems to be some progress on getting private servers working over at the MKW server link, I think but it requires hacking the games themselves a little it (they are going to open the server up for other games).

I think the Nintendo DWC emulator might also be a sort of private server too (but I can see the problem of private servers commonly have which is fragmented user bases).

Given there is an open source Flipnote studio (DSiWare) server out there these things are possible provided dumps exist (I wonder how Flipnote got around having to go through gamespy...).

this is pretty early. didnt MS just turn off live support for the xbox 1 a little while ago? and that was 2 gens ago.

Over four years ago. Vivid memories of staying up all night with my buddy playing Halo 2 and Battlefront.

---

Add me to the "crazy motherfuckers who bought ten copies of Picross DS for all of the DLC" group. My GameStops were picked clean of them but I did manage to snag a couple before resigning myself to eBay. I'm hoping the Club Nintendo card cases come back in stock on the 13th so I can store them properly.

I also got multiples of Picross 3D and WarioWare DIY for the DLC. I downloaded all of the official Nintendo levels on MvDK 3...tempted to get another cart for the user challenge levels but we'll see. Advance Wars is in the mail; thanks for the heads up!

Any soccer/football fans will want to pick up the PES 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13 games and download the data pack updates through WFC. Dunno if 08 has that feature, but I'm guessing not since the 360 version doesn't.

EDIT: Apparently the WFC download missions for the Pokemon Ranger games were timed events and are no longer available to download. Bummer.

eggwolio

Add me to the "crazy motherfuckers who bought ten copies of Picross DS for all of the DLC" group. My GameStops were picked clean of them but I did manage to snag a couple before resigning myself to eBay. I'm hoping the Club Nintendo card cases come back in stock on the 13th so I can store them properly.

I also got multiples of Picross 3D and WarioWare DIY for the DLC. I downloaded all of the official Nintendo levels on MvDK 3...tempted to get another cart for the user challenge levels but we'll see.

Welcome to the club, sir.

I split the WarioWare stuff between the cart and the WiiWare title. MvsDK3 is, regrettably, not going to be in the budget for me before the shutdown. I got all the other stuff I wanted though, so I guess it's alright. Good luck in the acquisition of the card case 18. Those of us in the club should make some custom "WFC Anthology" artwork for it.

Elija2

They are already pretty far along with MKW and will open up to possibly supporting further games. But that depends on them getting people willing to do the testing and analysing the communication of the respective games.

So apparently MKWii and Animal Crossing City Folk are the only games that they support? City Folk is an odd choice because I doubt very many people still play that game online or will in the future. MKWii and Brawl both have active modding communities which will ensure that they'll still be played long after their sequels are released.

Is there anything I could do to help if I know nothing about analyzing traffic or whatever? If there's something simple I could do I'd be willing to help.

Just remembered I have a couple pokemon in limbo at the WFC trade center in Pokemon Diamond. I guess they're gone forever if I don't halt the trade and get back my pokemon by May 20th?

Eusis

It's what happens when a service gets bought up by a company run by the corporate equivalent of pyromaniacs it seems. Take what they like, burn the rest down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom