• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

You need to play a few hours into the game to make the WFC option appear. Also, AFAIK the Christmas Cake item is no longer obtainable in the DQVC shop, so you won't be able to complete one of the DLC missions.
Aw man. This is the worst thing. I didn't plan on starting the game for a while.

So in short about DQ9, I'm still safe if I just start playing now until I can start downloading things a couple of hours in, and then just download them all and be done with it?

Is it possible to download save files from the internet that have these things if I get a flashcard?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
...you may have talked me out of it, lol. Doing that 50 times sounds a bit rough.
I mean its not gonna take an hour but it is more time consuming & obtuse then it ever needed ta be!

Is there a list somewhere of all the DLC that's set to expire? I'm crazy busy this week and don't have time to look through all the US 1st party games to see what DLC is about to disappear forever...
Its hard to say cause many games "dlc" is actually already on the cart and can be unlocked with an action replay. Info on which games have stuff on cart or not is pretty scattered or unknown.

Aw man. This is the worst thing. I didn't plan on starting the game for a while.

So in short about DQ9, I'm still safe if I just start playing now until I can start downloading things a couple of hours in, and then just download them all and be done with it?

Is it possible to download save files from the internet that have these things if I get a flashcard?
Yups but apparently its more then just a few hours. The DQIX stuff is all on cart however so ideally with the AR right codes all the download quests & online shop exclusive items oughta be gettable. But to be safe I say get playing!

WHAT THE HECK, I'm a big Advance Wars fan and didn't realize there were downloadable missions for Days of Ruin. Are they on the eShop or just ingame somewhere? I'll second the question of whether they can all be downloaded on one cart.
It is missleading to call them missions. They're just things made by players using the in-game map editor. From what I know there is nothing official in there. And as was said you get a completely random submitted one anyway.

All of the 6 puzzles released.
Mario vs. DK 2. I thought it was 8. 1 page of the 3 you can save at least. Took me ages to realise you had to tap the Nintendo logo on the list too.

But given these should be possible to make using the in-game map editor (same goes for the later Mario vs. DK games) maybe someone will upload maps.

So what is being lost on The Last Story, just costume items, right?

Was there ever a list created?

How long would it take to get all of the online items?

If I'm not mistaken, about 6 exclusive clothing dyes, and about 6 exclusive weapons. I'm not 100% sure how to get them either, and I've been getting really anxious about it, especially given that I haven't played especially far into the single-player game yet, either. I don't think that I've accumulated any of the online-only items yet. To whomever I was playing co-op with a few days ago, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I need to remind myself how to play Last Story, and quickly...

There are ocarina codes for the dyes at the very least. I would be surprised if there are never ones for the weapons (hopefully as one of those 'on the fly' shop editor codes)

If I'm not mistaken, about 6 exclusive clothing dyes, and about 6 exclusive weapons. I'm not 100% sure how to get them either, and I've been getting really anxious about it, especially given that I haven't played especially far into the single-player game yet, either. I don't think that I've accumulated any of the online-only items yet. To whomever I was playing co-op with a few days ago, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I need to remind myself how to play Last Story, and quickly...
Thanks, I guess I'll check some FAQs today to research this out fully.

I'm up to play The Last Story online this weekend if anybody else is up for it.

upandaway

Yups but apparently its more then just a few hours. The DQIX stuff is all on cart however so ideally with the AR right codes all the download quests & online shop exclusive items oughta be gettable. But to be safe I say get playing!
Alright, thanks.

After a quick google it seems there are save editors to enable those things but I'll still try to start early.

I had a perverse desire to play Metroid Prime Hunters online one last time, then I remembered that original DS games required either the dongle or archaic WEP networks. I can't find my dongle.

I liked Metroid Prime Hunters' multiplayer a whole lot more than I should have

meow

I don't know anything about the dyes (I think you could only get them in death match, and I sucked at death match), but there are 5 coop bosses and each one drops a unique weapon. And there were two random flower weapons you could also get as drops.

I completely forgot this was going down. That sucks. I'm down with playing w/ some gaffers as well though I never leveled up that much. You need to find those crazy upgraded players if you want to move through the boss matches quickly, otherwise each round can take a long time.

Toad.T

Banned
Full list of items:

GameFAQs Topic said:
Weapons:

CO-OP exclusive:

Claw Sword (Kraken)
Trident (Last Cocoon)
Eclipse (Nebirous)
Spirale (Muruk)
Dragoon (Atar & Mitra)

Weapons listed below can be retrieved in both CO-OP and DM. You need to rank 1st place. (Note that these are a bit more difficult to get, especially Rose): (edit: I'm not sure if the weapons listed below can all be obtained in CO-OP, I only recall getting Rose in that mode).

Coral
Rose
Sunflower
Squishy Hammer
Prophet
Zero Sword

Upgrade Materials:

Nebirous Splinter (Nebirous)
Muruk Shell (Muruk)
Kraken Leg (Kraken)
Monster's Cocoon
Atar's Claw (Atar & Mitra)

You need 5 specific upgrade materials per weapon and after that they no longer require you to use CO-OP materials. For example: Claw Sword uses 5 Kraken Leg's to get to LV.5 and after that you will need to use other (offline) materials to upgrade further.

Note that if you upgrade (to LV.5) the game will treat your inventory as if you don't have the weapon anymore. So if you play CO-OP against Kraken and upgraded your Claw Sword to LV.5, you will get another one as reward if you defeat it.

DM exclusive:

For these materials you must rank 1st place in DM mode and already have all the (DM) Online weapons:

Particle of the Outsider
Dragon Fang (unique upgrade material for Dragon Armor and Dragon Greaves)
Blunt Gold Sword (weapon)

For these unique upgrade materials you must rank 1st place in DM mode:

Silver Thread (used to upgrade Calista's Dress)
Indigo Thread (used to upgrade Calista's Ballgown)
Ancient Alloy (used to upgrade Knight's Attire)

You will need 3 Silver Threads and Indigo Threads if you want to max out Calista's Dress and Ballgown. 3 Ancient Allows are required if you want to max out Knight's Attire as well.

For these materials you must rank second to second to last place:

Blunt Silver Sword (weapon)
Effect Dyes (see below)

For these materials you need to rank last place:

Blunt Copper Sword (weapon)
Copper
Iron
Silk

Effect Dyes:

These can only be retrieved in DM. Even in last place you can get a few dyes but after you acquired some, last place won't give you new dyes. If you're just with 1 other player (total of players = 2), the 1st place player will get prizes from the 1st place pool while the 2nd place player gets prizes from the last place prize pool. If there is an additional player 1st place gets 1st place pool items, 2nd place gets second to second to last prize pool items while 3rd place gets last place prize pool items.

Red Fireflies
Green Fireflies
Rainbow Fireflies
Searing Flames
Roaring Flames
Rainy Day
Ocean Spray
Menacing Aura
Sickly Aura
Poisonous Aura
Silver Sparkles
Golden Sparkles
Shooting Stars
Hopping Stars
Flying Stars
Pattering Hearts
Swooning Hearts
Pounding Hearts
Rock Out
Pop Music
Smooth Ballad
Angelic Halo
Demonic Halo
Nasty Stench
Awful Stench
Putrid Stench
Fluttering Butterflies
Brilliant Butterflies
Flitting Moths
Buzzing Flies

And yeah, I'd be down for some last minute Gaffer play. But, we should really have a separate topic for it, to make more people notice.

I had a perverse desire to play Metroid Prime Hunters online one last time, then I remembered that original DS games required either the dongle or archaic WEP networks. I can't find my dongle.

I liked Metroid Prime Hunters' multiplayer a whole lot more than I should have

You're not alone, haha.

1aSpKNW.jpg

Really need to get some more black ops matches in on the wii with my brothers this weekend as well.

FyreWulff

Heh. I just remembered how forward-thinking the level sharing function was for Bangai-O Spirits.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/21/bangai-o-spirits-saves-stages-through-sound/

I guess that's one way to skirt around this problem.

Not even related to Nintendo at all, but this reminds me of Reach.

For the longest time in Halo: Reach, there's a screen where you can view your network status. NAT, upstream, etc. If you waited a few moments on this screen, a very large text string would fade in and display. Bungie never said what it was for. Some assumed it was just for cosmetics, others thought it was a debug string that support would have you read off or screencap to figure out something.

Well, Bungie had to hand off Reach on March 31, 2012 to 343. Bungie.net was no longer allowed to update with new games or updates to your Spartan. Then they revealed that the text string was a secret "sneakernet" text string that you could use to punch it into Bungie.net and update your profile on Bungie.net the day after they were cut off.

Eusis

Ziff Davis, not Glu
Ziff Davis bought IGN from News Corp, and IGN/GameSpy merged beforehand...

You could trace back "the blame" way way back, but short of Nintendo making the call to go with GameSpy's services I wouldn't put the blame on anyone else but Glu at this point. They bought them, and would rather shut all the old stuff down than seemingly figure out how to get it working with newer stuff. Though for whatever it's worth I DO think the fact Nintendo didn't allow much room for patching is either the biggest or second biggest issue here, seems like every patching solution either needs to be made specifically for that game or work via some sort of programming loophole IE save modification. If they had given that sort of freedom we'd still likely lose games but they'd be able to just update a lot of the bigger ones.
And possibly make some of these map downloads less dumb.

With that said, this probably is more relevant to Wii and maybe DSi-enabled stuff. DS had too little space on carts and no expandable memory slot so no SD cards either, and minimal onboard memory (probably only enough for firmware plus system settings) so that was kind of screwed period.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Not even related to Nintendo at all, but this reminds me of Reach.

For the longest time in Halo: Reach, there's a screen where you can view your network status. NAT, upstream, etc. If you waited a few moments on this screen, a very large text string would fade in and display. Bungie never said what it was for. Some assumed it was just for cosmetics, others thought it was a debug string that support would have you read off or screencap to figure out something.

Well, Bungie had to hand off Reach on March 31, 2012 to 343. Bungie.net was no longer allowed to update with new games or updates to your Spartan. Then they revealed that the text string was a secret "sneakernet" text string that you could use to punch it into Bungie.net and update your profile on Bungie.net the day after they were cut off.
Now that is fucking cool.

I always thought to myself that, if I was programming video games, I'd sneak in some direct-IP multiplayer options and bury them behind obscure button codes just to have that plan B ready when the platform holder no longer feels like providing what should be inherent to the game and should have been perpetual in the first place.

I mean, fuck, Cyberball on Sega Genesis is technically still online capable, but these games aren't? The future is here, and it fucking sucks.

For these materials you must rank 1st place in DM mode and already have all the (DM) Online weapons:

Welp. I'm sure not going to be getting that good that quickly.

Hey guys, seems like the solution to our problems is here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819724

Out of curiosity, Toad King's Save Nintendo Wi-Fi and Wiimm's servers appear to be two separate projects. If one were to collect data for one or the other (Wiimm's has had you log into Nintendo Wi-Fi through some redirected IP addresses so that he can accumulate the data packets, Save Nintendo Wi-Fi requests that we capture packet files from our own routers and Wireshark), does anyone have any opinions on either of these? I know that Toad King worked on the Wii RetroArch, and the Wii RetroArch is exquisite. Or is everyone/everything pretty much coalescing behind the Wiimm servers at this point?

KHlover

Banned
Welp. I'm sure not going to be getting that good that quickly.

Out of curiosity, Toad King's Save Nintendo Wi-Fi and Wiimm's servers appear to be two separate projects. If one were to collect data for one or the other (Wiimm's has had you log into Nintendo Wi-Fi through some redirected IP addresses so that he can accumulate the data packets, Save Nintendo Wi-Fi requests that we capture packet files from our own routers and Wireshark), does anyone have any opinions on either of these? I know that Toad King worked on the Wii RetroArch, and the Wii RetroArch is exquisite. Or is everyone/everything pretty much coalescing behind the Wiimm servers at this point?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/save-nin...e-online-servers-for-wii-and-ds-games.362716/

Judging by this thread on GBAtemp they're working together on this issue.

Maybe you'll find some evidence in here too:
http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/board329-mkw-server-project-english/

Kade

My favourite memory of Nintendo WFC was when we were playing Mario Kart Wii and every time there was a course vote I would pick Mushroom Gorge. We played Mushroom Gorge five times in a row and you guys kept getting angry at me in the IRC channel but I just really like Mushroom Gorge. Also, this.

RIP

danielcw

All Wii, DS, and DSi titles are affected. This includes Wiiware and DSiWare.

OK.
I did not know whether DSi Ware titles used NWC or something else.

Are there any good DSiWare games with noteworthy DLC?
(I already bought the MarioVSDonkeyKong game, and downloading maps)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, a friend of mine just told me that the Dragon Quest 9 DLC has been restored and is back on the servers. No way to check myself as I don't own the game. (That's why I didn't make a thread.) But obviously, if you're missing it, there's just a few days left to download it.

ibgu9Tov6v0Gbv.jpg

I took my chances with the recommended maps option on Advance Wars: Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin. Such a pain having to reconnect 50 times to stuff the cart! Fortunately this was my last bit of WFC housekeeping before Nintendo flip the switch.

jimi_dini

If I'm not mistaken, about 6 exclusive clothing dyes, and about 6 exclusive weapons

Actually 11 exclusive weapons + 32 or 33 dyes.

5 weapons for coop (may also give you 2 additional weapons from deathmatch)
6 weapons for deathmatch (you need to get 1st place for those, 2 of those are given out for coop too)
and then the dyes - you will get them for deathmatch for NOT being last nor first place. The last few dyes are really cool.
Oh yeah and there are upgrade materials too.

Which means boosting for dyes is only possible in case there are at least 3 people. You get the first few dyes even when getting last place.

I took my chances with the recommended maps option on Advance Wars: Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin. Such a pain having to reconnect 50 times to stuff the cart! Fortunately this was my last bit of WFC housekeeping before Nintendo flip the switch.

Can you get them immediately? I own Dark Conflict, haven't played it much.

EDarkness

Full list of items:

And yeah, I'd be down for some last minute Gaffer play. But, we should really have a separate topic for it, to make more people notice.

I'm trying to get a few games in before servers go down, but very few people playing. I'm starting up my game on the Wii U, so I hope that I can get at least a couple of items before all is said and done.

Oh, and I'm talking about The Last Story in case anyone is wondering.

I'm trying to get a few games in before servers go down, but very few people playing. I'm starting up my game on the Wii U, so I hope that I can get at least a couple of items before all is said and done.

Oh, and I'm talking about The Last Story in case anyone is wondering.
Should we try to get a GAF group going for the game?

Should somebody start thread for it?

How long would it take to get everything?

I'm pretty open this weekend.

Randomizer

Wait Last Story has online co-op? I really should have taken it off my backlog sooner.

Hm I wonder how far I could get in three days. It's relatively short for a JRPG right, like 20-30 hours?

Wait Last Story has online co-op? I really should have taken it off my backlog sooner.

Hm I wonder how far I could get in three days. It's relatively short for a JRPG right, like 20-30 hours?
It has deathmatch AND co-op.

Yeah, it's under thirty hours or so, great game though, I hope Nintendo taps Mistwalker for a sequel.

CengizMan

I am downloading a couple of microgames from WarioWare: D.I.Y. There is some pretty cool stuff in there, made by various developers from all over the world!

Mario vs. DK 3 had a challenge mode (I think these were a competition where you took the Nintendo submitted stage and made it tougher) that ran until Feburary 2014. I found it surprising it ran for so long and I would hazard it ended then due to this news in the pipeline. Something like 60 stages (I got the Nintendo made ones, the newer ones had a few hundred downloads :( ). How much space does that game have? I download all those then 40 random ones and still had room left (ran out of time so left it at that).

I am downloading a couple of microgames from WarioWare: D.I.Y. There is some pretty cool stuff in there, made by various developers from all over the world!
Those certainly were a blast from the past. Pretty much all the big WiiWare names made games. It is a shame the cart does not have enough space for the 104 weekly download ones. So really just get everything you can as there no way for 1 cart to have all the official stuff. Also the contests closed a while ago and so the results can't be seen.

If you have Wario Ware DIY showcase on WiiWare that can also download the games though (even from a DS card, can also send too). Even after Wifi connection closes this will be still be useful due to being able to extract its save.

Delving into this further I found an archive of DIY games (NSFW adverts) that has not been updated in 2 years but has all official including contests, all in-game (both games) including regional variants and the boss micro games (these have names and descriptions not seen normally) and a lot of fan games and other stuff. The only way to get them onto the DS cart is to use a save editor on the showcase channel. Well its sold me on the showcase channel anyway.

Hopefully Black Ops (online multi and zombies) and Modern Warfare 3 are salvaged. Way better online multi than GoldenEye, let alone the Conduit games.

Seems the final 2 games used Acivision's servers?
Check the games' boxarts: MW3 & BO don't have the NWFC logo
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/SC7E52.png
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/SM8E52.png

MW1 and W@W had the NWFC logo
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/EN/RVYP52.png
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/RJAE52.png

FyreWulff

Hopefully Black Ops (online multi and zombies) and Modern Warfare 3 are salvaged. Way better online multi than GoldenEye, let alone the Conduit games.

Seems the final 2 games used Acivision's servers?
Check the games' boxarts: MW3 & BO don't have the NWFC logo
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/SC7E52.png
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/SM8E52.png

MW1 and W@W had the NWFC logo
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/EN/RVYP52.png
http://art.gametdb.com/wii/coverfullHQ/US/RJAE52.png

All of the Call of Duty games are on the shutdown list.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/en/games-wifi.jsp

Just Dance 2014 is the only game that still doesn't show up on the list.

Crayons

Banned
What games have DLC that aren't able to be unlocked with save editors/action replay?

I know there's Jam with the Band

Gameboy415

Hooray!
The extra copy of Made in Ore (the JP version of WarioWare DIY) I ordered on eBay showed up yesterday so I was able to secure all of the DLC microgames between two carts. :)

I think I have all of the DLC I want at this point, save for the London Life stuff but I might just end up getting an AR for those down the road.
I missed the Christmas Cake in DQIX last week so I'll need one for that anyway. :S

What games have DLC that aren't able to be unlocked with save editors/action replay?

I know there's Jam with the Band

I'd imagine any game with user-generated content would be affected:
-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
-Jam with the Band/Daigassou Band Brothers DX
-Mario vs DK (all of em)
-WarioWare DIY/Made in Ore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom