• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
Time to download my final Jam with the Band songs.

yeah, good idea, I already wasted my last 12 slots for a few songs this morning...
I had to download "sexual healing" and "enola gay", how often can you own digital property on a nintendo system with "sex" and "gay" in the name?

to bad I can't fill me other 5 copies, because I can't access them atm :/

FyreWulff

This is bullshit. Game companies should feel pressure and should work with their consumers, the game communities and all players, to create legacy solutions for games that people care about continuing to play online.

I was the 8th to last player in the world on Halo 2, and I can tell you, there are always people passionate and dedicated to games, years after the masses have moved on and sequels have been released. Their passion and dedication and community is eradicated simply because the numbers aren't there to push the businesses in control to do right by providing solutions to these special customers. We have the power to make them change attitudes.

I want to play Tetris DS online tomorrow. It is a great game. I will be writing Nintendo and I encourage all of you, each one of you, to do the same, not for one game, or one console, or one company, but for the industry to improve to the benefit of game players everywhere in the future.

Given how long Nintendo has provided legacy sustain to most of their other stuff, I imagine that people involved aren't too happy about this.

Their hands would also be tied due to having seen the actual Gamespy code. They wouldn't be able to use a drop-in replacement since they could be in breach of copyright or patents Gamespy had. Fan replacements have the advantage that they clearly reverse engineered the code. Nintendo would have a hard time proving they clean room reverse engineered it, as the hard proof that the Nintendo programmers re-implementing it didn't see the original code would be a long court case.

The time that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is ending according to the official Japanese notice is 11:00 PM JST. Here's a countdown:
t1400594400z1.png

The final hour approaches

Korigama

Decided to try a few online matches in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the first and last time (Saki/Tekkaman Blade team). Laggy, but managed to win both matches against the player I managed to find (took a while before anyone showed up).

If this has taught me anything, its that I suck at Nintendo games online. Man, did I get my ass handed to me in Smash Bros and Mario Kart DS.

I came in 4th place every time in 'real matches' for SBB. The only time I came in 3rd/2nd/1st was in a room where 1 player was AFK (or alseep I'd guess), another player only focused on taunting, and the last player seemed to not care much to play well. So yeah I came in 1st against that group. Heh.

I had two laugh out loud moments though, the first one was when I came in last place, even when someone was AFK! Yes, I did worse than a person who was likely asleep on the couch. Now that's pathetic. The other time was on Shadow Moses stage, there was a sudden death between 3 people, I knocked the first person out, and when it was one-on-one, I taunted my last opponent, and then accidentally walked off the stage AND LOST! D'oh! I felt like such a dummy, but it provided a good laugh so I'm okay with that.

I checked for hours over the past couple days to play Sonic Colors DS online, only found one other person, played 8 matches, it was fun, I should have played that game sooner, oh well.

Eventually I'll get a Wii U and get my ass handed to me in more Nintendo games, until then, I can play some 3DS online.

The one silver lining in all this, is that I (and probably most everyone here) never have to set up a WEP key again on our routers after this. NO MORE WEP FOREVER! Thats always been a hurdle for many people getting their DS online. What a pain, glad to see WEP gone for good (I hope!).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was logged on when PSU died an I'm doing the same again with PSØ right this very moment. PSP2'll be the lone survivor of localized online Phantasy Star goodness~

terrisus

RIP Nintendo WFC =(

Ah, the days of moderating on the old NSider boards, where people weren't allowed to share Friend Codes, and having to deal with all of that.
That definitely wasn't fun.

But still, so many great memories and fun times on it. I'll miss it very much =(

JoeM86

I can imagine that if you already made a connection, it will continue until you disconnect. I should have had another console running concurrently.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Still dancing away in PSØ! My Chato's power is keeping it going!

I can imagine that if you already made a connection, it will continue until you disconnect.
Ohh! Lame! Having ta disconnect yourself is much less dramatic than getting the boot by outside forces!

dangeROSS

Man, I was right in the middle of a VS. match and it locked up. I reset my system and tried to connect to the WFC, and it now says the product is no longer supported. Bummer. :(

MicH

This is so sad :( I still remember one of my earliest NWC memories was playing online in Animal Crossing WW and Mario Kart DS

Managed to get some MKWii, Excitebots and Excitebike World Rally the last few days. Of course I suck at all of them since I hadn't played them in ages (well, I hadn't actually played bots, but I 100%ed trucks)

Also downloaded the Hudson stages for Kororinpa Marble Saga, which I had never actually played. And I found the Euro version has more balance board stages with miffed me a bit but that's besides the point.

As for the DS, I checked if there were any new levels for the last two Mario vs DK games and Picross 3D but I had them all. And downloaded the NP Vol. 8 packs for Picross, too bad you can't actually fit them all into the catridge :(

RIP Nintendo WFC =(

Ah, the days of moderating on the old NSider boards, where people weren't allowed to share Friend Codes, and having to deal with all of that.
That definitely wasn't fun.

But still, so many great memories and fun times on it. I'll miss it very much =(

Ahaha I remember that. What a ridiculous rule. It just made the concept of Friend Codes all the more stupid that they weren't even allowed on their own official forums.

I actually got warned by the head admin of NSider because I had a link in a post I made to a site where FC sharing was allowed. I was a "Sage" so I guess it was a very serious offense, but looking back it was just... weird.

JoeM86

Ahaha I remember that. What a ridiculous rule. It just made the concept of Friend Codes all the more stupid that they weren't even allowed on their own official forums.

I actually got warned by the head admin of NSider because I had a link in a post I made to a site where FC sharing was allowed. I was a "Sage" so I guess it was a very serious offense, but looking back it was just... weird.

I think it was more a security thing.

Just like places highly recommend you don't share your phone number, they didn't want you to share your friend code, and that it should only be for friends

I think it was more a security thing.

Just like places highly recommend you don't share your phone number, they didn't want you to share your friend code, and that it should only be for friends

Yes, but we weren't even allowed to discuss if we got a Pokemon off the GTS from an NSider because of the map in DP that put a dot in your country. I remember working on a system with a mod there to create codes via mail and nicknames so we knew if we got a Pokemon from someone on NSider on the GTS, but they shot it down because of the map in the lobby of the GTS.

I mean, there's protection and there's being just absurd.

ASTROID2

I remember getting that wifi usb stick thing from Nintendo. It broke and then I had to get a real router. I still use that router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom