• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Oddduck

I'm really excited if the Diddy Kong rumor from last year turns out to be true. I was so excited at one point, I was making fanart of the idea. I never got around to finishing it though.

a3fe0de04a282ea4f5bb536ef0af4d5b.jpg

I really love that fan art! Great job.

Discomurf

Why wouldn't both come out? One is a racer, the other a rails shooter.

FTFY. :)

Star Fox most likely has an online multiplayer component. So I suppose its possible, but knowing Nintendo they wouldn't put two of their multiplayer heavy hitters that close together.

DKR would also have been in development for much longer, Star Fox simply might not be ready after only one year.

Again this all speculating that DKR by Monster Games exists in the first place, but given all the evidence I'd say its coming... its rumored to be pretty far along and it makes logical sense that they wouldn't have shown it at last years E3 due to Mario Kart 8.

-

Hatchtag

Banned
Just to temper your expectations:

-Star Fox having anything to do with Plat. or Retro is pure conjecture at this point
-We'll see SF, Diddy, and almost certainly AC regardless
-We may or may not see NLG or Retro's main projects

Just sayin'. I'm sure we'll see tons of cool stuff, though!

I included the point about Star Fox to temper expectations. It means that if either studio is working on it instead of a new game, there's one less game we're getting.
We might not see NLG or Retro's new projects (though NLG's seems incredibly likely with how long its been since the last one), and Platinum's might not be related to Nintendo. But it's not like impossibly unlikely. At the very least, I'd bet we'll see a new Nintendo game from one of them.

Neiteio

The first page has always been remarkable because of the clean delineation between "Neat! I thought the first game was awesome, this one looks even better," and "THIS IS THE END FOR RETRO AND NINTENDO"
To be fair, in at least one timeline, it was probably what brought about the post-apocalyptic world of Judge Dredd

Crayolan

Seeing a "Retro is making FUCKING Diddy Kong" thread would make me laugh so hard I won't even be mad if this happens.

Whoever makes the thread better not disappoint.

Neiteio

Seeing a "Retro is making FUCKING Diddy Kong" thread would make me laugh so hard I won't even be mad if this happens.

Whoever makes the thread better not disappoint.
Someone should have a new thread ready to go with "Retro is making FUCKING ___" ready to go, and quickly fill in the blank and drop a link in the OP as soon as it's announced.

Sadist

The first page has always been remarkable because of the clean delineation between "Neat! I thought the first game was awesome, this one looks even better," and "THIS IS THE END FOR RETRO AND NINTENDO"
I'm still baffled people were absolutely fucking batshit insane upset when they announced this. And how how long it took to accept it. It's a trend with Wii U games anyway. Folks screamed bloody murder when they showed 3D World for the first time, DKC TF was FUCKING DONKEY KONG, Bayonetta 2 should have been- ah you know and well, I believe Hyrule Warriors was met with some dismay at first.

Metroxed

Sometimes I feel like GAF exists in an alternate world where Returns and Tropical Freeze were something other than fantastic games.

No, GAF exists in the reality where we haven't had a 3D Metroid game in five years, a good 3D Metroid game in eight years, a handheld Metroid game in nine years and a 2D Metroid game in eleven years, which absolutely sucks. People are getting desperate for a new Metroid game and it shows.

Sponge

Banned
No, GAF exists in the reality where we haven't had a 3D Metroid game in five years, a good 3D Metroid game in eight years, a handheld Metroid game in nine years and a 2D Metroid game in eleven years, which absolutely sucks. People are getting desperate for a new Metroid game and it shows.

This was me when Rare was bought by Microsoft. We didn't have a great Donkey Kong for years. Shame we can't get Donkey Kong and Metroid at the same time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This was me when Rare was bought by Microsoft. We didn't have a great Donkey Kong for years. Shame we can't get Donkey Kong and Metroid at the same time.

There is no reason why we can't, just that people need to release that there are many talented studio capable of doing a Metroid game.

woopWOOP

I'm really excited if the Diddy Kong rumor from last year turns out to be true. I was so excited at one point, I was making fanart of the idea. I never got around to finishing it though.

a3fe0de04a282ea4f5bb536ef0af4d5b.jpg
I really like this.

Nintendo crossover racer with 2nd bananas (and other characters not really fit as Smash fighters) would probably get me more excited than a DKCR3.

Dangit, slowly getting hyped for E3 now.

And who says it has to be Retro that makes it?

Buggy Loop

I so want to make a wall of shame for this, but I'd run out of room with just the first 100 posts

Am i a bad person if i still dont care about that game? I have a Wii U, but there's so many platforming games that i was burned before the game was even announced.

If Retro makes another one, i'll be hugely disapointed. Too many platformers, not enough action/adventure games, especially with Zelda's delay.

Well, Retro made the first three, so it's understandable why people would trust Retro to make a fourth one. I mean, we don't know if any other studio can make a Metroid game as good as Retro did :/

Retro is a different studio now, though. IIRC, a lot of the old Retro staff now works at Armature (Arkham Origins Blackgate).

Gartooth

Diddy Kong Racing 2!? :O

That would be amazing as long as they don't fuck up the roster and give the game a competent adventure mode. If it happens I hope the original cast (sans Conker and Banjo) can be brought back despite that going contrary to the rumor. A cast of super niche Nintendo characters doesn't sound that exciting, at least give us Fox or Kirby or something. lol

Baleoce

Diddy Kong Racing 2!? :O

That would be amazing as long as they don't fuck up the roster and give the game a competent adventure mode. If it happens I hope the original cast (sans Conker and Banjo) can be brought back despite that going contrary to the rumor. A cast of super niche Nintendo characters doesn't sound that exciting, at least give us Fox or Kirby or something. lol

I think Slippy would work quite well

Retro is a different studio now, though. IIRC, a lot of the old Retro staff now works at Armature (Arkham Origins Blackgate).

Actually, it seems more of them at Bluepoint now than Armature. And guess what, Bluepoint and Armature are basically port machines while Retro continues to make great games. And a lot of the Prime folks are still there.

Top Bottom