• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. So much this

It's also worth mentioning that AMD flops <Nvidia Flops in roughly a 4:6 ratio. An Xbox one runs at 1.2Tflps. (AMD) which would equate to .8Tflps (Nvidia) on the current X1 we have mobile devices hitting .5Tflps (Nvidia)

Obviously we can't know how much Nintendo will look to priotrize Power Draw/clock speeds vs Performance. However with the advances to 16nmFF and Pascal we know that a Pascal Tegra chip will be significantly more efficient then the X1. We also know that the NX is likely to have a better CPU then the Xbox one.

A device with a better CPU then an Xbox one and say 80% of its GPU power isn't an unreasonable assumption to be priced at 200USD (especially if Nvidia gave Nintendo a great deal)

whoa... where are you getting this AMD flops < Nvidia flops thing from. This is pure nonsense. flops are just a generic way of saying what that chip is capable of at a given spec, but performance of the actual chip can vary based on many factors such as a lack of memory bandwidth, architecture inefficiencies, etc, etc...

this is why flops aren't always a good way to measure actual performance, but it doesn't just mean "nvidia flops > amd flops" because amd chip x is only 80% as fast as nvidia chip x even though both are rated for the same "flops"

Much like Wii U, the Vita entries in those series (and CoD, AC, etc.) sold so badly that it points to a fundamental demographic mismatch between the IP and the platform. If that mismatch wasn't there, even shitty, compromised ports would sell better on name recognition alone.

Yeah, I think people really underestimate how much prestige factors in to the way people perceive and consume AAA software.

Handhelds haven't historically been seen as prestige items, and in general the "scaled-down" versions of games that are typically made for handhelds really can't be seen as prestigious as their console counterparts, either. And since most AAA games get their popularity from their perceived prestige...

There was an EA quote from during the Wii days that said something to the effect of "we weren't used to developing games where the focus has to be fun." I think that definitely applies here.

No? Honestly I'm not even expecting it to need active cooling while docked. Maybe an external fan.
Why would the console receive a significant overclock when docked, then? Docking would make no difference to the cooling of the system, so why not run at full tilt in handheld mode in this scenario?
Yes.

That why say that a device can't up clock and turn on fans in docked mode while being downclocked with passive cooler in mobile mode is not something ou of this world.

Actual MacBook uses only passive cooler without fan with great performance.

I do believe Nintendo can make some fans to run only in docked mode.
So you expect them to include fans that are functionally useless in the system's primary mode. Ok.

And the macbook is fucking enormous when compared to phones/tablets.
The real problem is not the fans or the doohickeys, its really the RAM. Changing clockspeeds (possible) does not change the amount of available RAM as I am sure Nintendo has not figured out how to download more RAM. The only option here would be if, in portable mode, the RAM is half (or more) unused to conserve power but then that's still a spatial concern on a certain-sized die.
That post was sarcasm, but I agree that RAM will be a huge limiting factor.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The device is from all accounts primarily a handheld. I can't imagine them designing the handheld with cooling systems in place that are simply inactive when you are in handheld mode and only activates when docked. What a complete waste.

Design constraints on these handhelds are very narrow that I doubt they are wasting all that space, time and energy to appease a core few users that really care about their console being a tiny bit closer towards the Xbox One.

Citation needed.

Also, if they don't care about appeasing those people, why not just make it a handheld and end it there?

Not everything optimistic needs to be considered unrealistic just because it's Nintendo. You also don't need to shut down all speculation to meet your opinions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So you think that this isn't a hybrid has just been designed as a handheld which happens to connect to the TV and nothing more?

I think it's a powerful, dense, portable handheld that succeeds the 3DS, which when docked, acts like a home console while the unit charges. You just pick up the wireless controller next to your couch and game on on the big screen where you left off.

That's a simple concept. And you're not getting the mass market in unless you're presenting a simple concept.
These fantasies about the thing overclocking once docked and active cooling and heat sinks all detract from this one concept as it would make the device bulkier and more complex for little to no actual gain.

This device still needs to render games for a 1080p TV.

If it can upscale from say, 720p, it will do nicely.

Citation needed.

If the device can operate while mobile and doesn't depend on being connected to a power supply, it's a portable device by definition.

Also, if they don't care about appeasing those people, why not just make it a handheld and end it there?

Not everything optimistic needs to be considered unrealistic just because it's Nintendo. You also don't need to shut down all speculation to meet your opinions.

"Those people" (people who care about spec comparisons to Xbox One) aren't the only people who play or have historically played games mostly on their TVs.

I know I'll definitely play Breath of the Wild mostly on my TV, and I'd be totally fine if NX were no more powerful than Wii U.

Why would the console receive a significant overclock when docked, then? Docking would make no difference to the cooling of the system, so why not run at full tilt in handheld mode in this scenario?

The maximum heat threshold could tank the battery life to sub 30 minutes for all we know.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Just because it doesn't need active cooling doesn't mean power consumption is feasible for portable use. Battery life is the #1 factor. Heat is a very very very distant second.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
These fantasies about the thing overclocking once docked and active cooling and heat sinks all detract from this one concept as it would make the device bulkier and more complex for little to no actual gain.

I agree that active cooling is less likely to happen. But why are you talking about overclocking? It should run at normal clocks while powered (normal clocks being the ones where it doesn't need active cooling) and underclocked while on battery to draw less power.

Astral Dog

Citation needed.

I thought it was supposed to be a powerful handheld you can put on your TV &#128533;

ksamedi

The device is from all accounts primarily a handheld. I can't imagine them designing the handheld with cooling systems in place that are simply inactive when you are in handheld mode and only activates when docked. What a complete waste.

Design constraints on these handhelds are very narrow that I doubt they are wasting all that space, time and energy to appease a core few users that really care about their console being a tiny bit closer towards the Xbox One.

We don't really know what it is but it certainly doesn't look like primarily a handheld. The differentiator here is that it is a console with portable capabilities due to smart use of cheap technology. I think the appeal
Lies it it being close to Xbox one or atleast half the power and being able to play all sorts of games
On the go as well as on your tv.

jdstorm

Banned
whoa... where are you getting this AMD flops < Nvidia flops thing from. This is pure nonsense. flops are just a generic way of saying what that chip is capable of at a given spec, but performance of the actual chip can vary based on many factors such as a lack of memory bandwidth, architecture inefficiencies, etc, etc...

this is why flops aren't always a good way to measure actual performance, but it doesn't just mean "nvidia flops > amd flops" because amd chip x is only 80% as fast as nvidia chip x even though both are rated for the same "flops"

Not a tech guy, but this is what I've come to understand.

Edit: did a bit more research. Basically Flops can't be compared across architectures. Comparing flops across architectures is like comparing the performance of an Olympic athletes running speed vs the depth a whale can swim Down too. Apparently the ratio stuff is a PC thing based on benchmarks ie an AMD card running Battlefield 1 at 1080p/60 FPS needs X Tflps. A Modern Nvidia card also running Battlefield 1 at 1080/60 needs X Tflps. And that's where these ratio numbers come from.

pre edit potentially incorrect information below

The difference is in how many processes the chip can run per flop cycle. Typically Nvidia have 32 processes a cycle while AMD have 22 per cycle.

So while the Flops are the same Nividias real world performance is better because 32 processes X 1tflop = 32 Trillion Processes while AMD is running 22 Processes x 1Tflp which equals 22 Trillion processes

Hoo-doo

Banned
I thought it was supposed to be a powerful handheld you can put on your TV &#65533;&#65533;

People at this point are expecting a portable Xbox One for <199$. (see last page)

And Mucho, I don't know why exactly they have a fan in the devkit, no-one knows except people with devkits in hand. Might be an X1 overclocked as a placeholder for a more modern chip. Might just be dev hardware being dev hardware.

Then what's the purpose of the active cooling in the dev kit?

See how this thread is about NX using the Pascal GPU architecture, which is more power efficient than the X1?

The current devkits are using an X1, according to Eurogamer.

edit: I know you said you don't want to participate in this conversation anymore, but this is a question that actually has a pretty solid answer.

Stop generalizing. The vast majority of people don't think this.

To be fair, I think at least a few of the people coming into this thread and expressing skepticism that NX might use more power while plugged in seem to think that people mean that it will boost to Xbox One power.

People at this point are expecting a portable Xbox One for <199$. (see last page)

Stop generalizing. The vast majority of people don't think this.

The best we can realistically hope for is a device that runs normally in its dock and is underclocked when its using the battery in portable mode.

Almost no one thinks NX is going to be at the level of XB1.

LeleSocho

Banned
I think it's a powerful, dense, portable handheld that succeeds the 3DS, which when docked, acts like a home console while the unit charges. You just pick up the wireless controller next to your couch and game on on the big screen where you left off.

That's a simple concept. And you're not getting the mass market in unless you're presenting a simple concept.

If it can upscale from say, 720p, it will do nicely.
It's the concept that has to be simple not the technology behind it, "when on the tv your games look nicer" is not an impossible concept to grasp.

That being said if Nintendo wants to do it, it's totally possible and even with the RAM bandwidth argument if the console is built around that concept it shouldn't be a big problem. The question is not "can they do it?" but "will they do it?".

And Mucho, I don't know why exactly they have a fan in the devkit, no-one knows except people with devkits in hand. Might be an X1 overclocked as a placeholder for a more modern chip. Might just be dev hardware being dev hardware.
I don't think anybody is expecting it to be Xbox one while it's a handheld. When this news broke more people said they can see a $250 price point.

I agree that active cooling is less likely to happen. But why are you talking about overclocking? It should run at normal clocks while powered (normal clocks being the ones where it doesn't need active cooling) and underclocked while on battery to draw less power.

That's more realistic, but without active cooling, you're still talking a power draw of... what, 5W? 10W?, compared to 20W for the Shield TV. Even with a more advanced architecture, it's probably best to keep expectations modest.

I hope its just a simple 720P target. 720P handheld, 720P when "docked", however maybe the extra TDP of the "dock" allows some AA to be utilized or something.

it certainly makes things consistent. Dont get me wrong, Im all for more then that, but if their official guidelines simply state 720P, ill be fine.

ksamedi

Xbox one or ps4 have other stuff like disc drives and large hdds that drive up costs. If Nintendo made a good deal with nvidia, cheap out on controls (motion sensors and stuff are very cheap nowadays) adds a small amount of flash mem then I don't see why NX should be expensive at all and still be significantly more Powerful then wii u

MuchoMalo

Banned
See how this thread is about NX using the Pascal GPU architecture, which is more power efficient than the X1?

The current devkits are using an overclocked X1, according to Eurogamer.

edit: I know you said you don't want to participate in this conversation anymore, but this is a question that actually has a pretty solid answer.

Well, it was main due to Hoo-Doo.
Nothing against him, but I can't stand looking at him avatar along with the condescending posting style. I know it's silly but it's genuinely making me uncomfortable and upset lol.
I can continue it otherwise.

If the NX doesn't clock up in the dock somehow due to active cooling, it's not going to match an X1 even with Pascal unless it's a large tablet.

Discomurf

ooo the hype train is incoming, I can feel it

8753150887_26f661888d_z.jpg

BD1

Banned
LCGeek and NateDrake are far better sources than IdeaMan ever was, though.

Oh god, IdeaMan. That guy was basically mentally masturbating every day, trying to convince everyone he had real inside info. The only thing he did know was that the GamePad has sticks instead of nubs, and he was so concerned with stringing everyone along as an "insider", he got scooped on that!

The WUST was something else. Trying to keep those days in mind when discussing NX.

I think a conservative guess at what the dock is all about is that it's just a cradle that can charge the NX while outputting to the TV. I'm not ready to imagine it being able to increase performance by any appreciable amount.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I followed all the WUSTs to the end, but I still don't know the deal with IdeaMan. Like I don't even know if he were legit or not or what exactly he did that was wrong or right. It's like my memory is hazy when it comes to him.

Am I the only person who feels like something is missing from the console side?? Like I believe this Eurogamer rumor, but I never really thought Nintendo doing a hybrid would be the best idea. It's only one piece of hardware and they have to hope it sells well. Before if the console did bad they had the handheld to save it. Now it's only one system and it's designed more towards the handheld side.

I know Iwata talked about please the western audience and Japanese audience, but did he compromise some of the console side for the handheld side? It's like deep down I want to feel like there's a dedicated console somewhere down the pipeline in a year or two lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's more realistic, but without active cooling, you're still talking a power draw of... what, 5W? 10W?, compared to 20W for the Shield TV. Even with a more advanced architecture, it's probably best to keep expectations modest.

The GPU in Tegra X1 at 500 mhz draws 1.5 watts.

Also Nvidia says on their site that X1 generally draws under 10 watts, but I don't know under what conditions.

This Pascal based Tegra should be even more efficient.

Scum

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The fact that Nintendo are moving to have a piece of hardware that's a huge break away from the 200X PowerPC architecture is great news in its own right.

Now bring me that NintendOS platform, NCL.

Oh god, IdeaMan. That guy was basically mentally masturbating every day, trying to convince everyone he had real inside info. The only thing he did know was that the GamePad has sticks instead of nubs, and he was so concerned with stringing everyone along as an "insider", he got scooped on that!

The WUST was something else. Trying to keep those days in mind when discussing NX.

If you think thyou WUSTs were bad with ridiculous expectations, you should read some of the last Neo digital foundry tech threads.

sfried

Then we're talking a higher price point. It's not happening with the initial release or the base system. I'm already expecting a New 3DS type treatement for most games on the Scorpio and Neo and the same will be here if that comes to be.

They could always sell the dock separately.

G.ZZZ

I love that we've basically already established that 'docked mode' is a thing when it's just as likely that the dock is just nothing more than a TV-out.

And it's only what, day two? Shit's going crazy.

That's because literally every portable unit in existence, including nintendo handhelds, activate more power-consuming option when directly on AC instead that of battery. My laptop for example increase the clock of the CPU and activate the dedicated GPU, and increase the screen brightness when on AC. Even the 3DS allow you to increase the screen brightness more.

More than a "docked" mode, just think of it of a power-saving mode when you're on battery, which is something that all things that can work either from battery or AC have.

The GPU in Tegra X1 at 500 mhz draws 1.5 watts.

Also Nvidia says on their site that X1 generally draws under 10 watts, but I don't know under what conditions.

This Pascal based Tegra should be even more efficient.

They say that, but Shield TV has a real-world power draw of 20W when gaming. Granted, it's clocked at 1GHZ and has a less advanced architecture, but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect significantly better performance from NX without active cooling.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Am I the only one who's more interested in the CPU than the GPU? Nvidia's Drive PX2 uses 4x ARM Cortex A57 + 2x "Denver" cores (Nvidia's custom ARM architecture).

I'm really excited to see what Nintendo can do with a modern, cutting-edge CPU after being stuck with the ancient PowerPC 600 series for 15 years!

Here's some info about Drive PX2, which is a 16nm SoC based on the Pascal architecture and MIGHT be related toNX:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9902/nvidia-discloses-2016-tegra

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, it was main due to Hoo-Doo.
Nothing against him, but I can't stand looking at him avatar along with the condescending posting style. I know it's silly but it's genuinely making me uncomfortable and upset lol.
I can continue it otherwise.

If the NX doesn't clock up in the dock somehow due to active cooling, it's not going to match an X1 even with Pascal unless it's a large tablet.

Don't worry, it's not the first time i've had that complaint about my avatar.
The condescension comes from both sides of the fence though. Let's be real here.

And I think your last sentence is basically the crux of all the theories that are currently floating around. If it's 'just' a X1 or X2 tegra then that means that NX is likely not going to be a graphically competitive console. Disappointing sure, but people should remember that it's still likely going to be a beast of a handheld. And it's still going to have great looking games. Pokemon on a friggin' TV.

The sooner people get over the fact that this thing is not likely to set any graphical benchmarks, the sooner you can actually start thinking of the potential that the thing has for great games. There's a zillion things more important to this console than sheer power and I think Nintendo realizes this.

I very much fucking hope so, the node jump to 14/16nm that pascal is on is a large boost to efficiency and power saving in devices, and the recent launches of devices released at the 14/16nm speak for themselves (just look at iphone 5s vs iphone se battery run times), for a handheld it's a must.

Apart from a few vendors like Apple 20nm was a bit of a bust tech wise for chip manufactures, which is why we had another round of gpu's at 28nm. This also bodes well for the ageing of the device, the x1 is old news and having a pascal architecture will allow the device to age much more gracefully.

No we wait for the ram amount rumours, here's hoping the ram is pegged at 8gb, preferentially LPDDR4.

EDIT: ALSO look at iphone 6 vs 6s battery runtimes and clock speeds, a 14/16nm Apple A9 resulted in MORE power effiecny in the 6S and 6S plus with MORE power on tap with a LONGER battery life compared to the 6 and 6 plus.

Link:http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/8

Am I the only one who's more interested in the CPU than the GPU? Nvidia's Drive PX2 uses 4x ARM Cortex A57 + 2x "Denver" cores (Nvidia's custom ARM architecture).

I'm really excited to see what Nintendo can do with a modern, cutting-edge CPU after being stuck with the ancient PowerPC 600 series for 15 years!

Here's some info about Drive PX2, which is a 16nm SoC based on the Pascal architecture and MIGHT be related toNX:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9902/nvidia-discloses-2016-tegra

Is the CPU not as important as the GPU because it seems like everyone makes a bigger deal of the GPU over the CPU?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Don't worry, it's not the first time i've had that complaint about my avatar.
The condescension comes from both sides of the fence though. Let's be real here.

And I think your last sentence is basically the crux of all the theories that are currently floating around. If it's 'just' a X1 or X2 tegra then that means that NX is likely not going to be a graphically competitive console. Disappointing sure, but people should remember that it's still likely going to be a beast of a handheld. And it's still going to have great looking games. Pokemon on a friggin' TV.

The sooner people get over the fact that this thing is not likely to set any graphical benchmarks, the sooner you can actually start thinking of the potential that the thing has for great games. There's a zillion things more important to this console than sheer power and I think Nintendo realizes this.

Have I said anything about it being competitive? My optimistic guess was ~600 GFLOPS lol. Also, it's obviously going to be a custom chip.

I came up with an idea.

The system will have two modes:

1. Portable mode. AKA the regular mode where it'll it'll either be under-clocked, or whatever the normal use of the chips would be. Has a normal but very great battery life. 540p.

2. Console mode. Here the system is at max capacity in power where if the chip was under-clocked it'd be now be without its limit, or over-clocked, whichever. However, battery would now drain FAR faster and is designed to be docked. 1080p and 4K upscaling ala XBO S (it'd downscale if you're using it on the go).

This way, should the power go out when docked, it'll still be in console mode running on battery. You can then save your progress or just possibly change the mode and continue on for hours in portable mode.

That COULD work. It'd also give players an option to play console-quality if they don't care about battery life (easy access to a charger, playing at home, etc).

Thoughts?

Xbox one or ps4 have other stuff like disc drives and large hdds that drive up costs. If Nintendo made a good deal with nvidia, cheap out on controls (motion sensors and stuff are very cheap nowadays) adds a small amount of flash mem then I don't see why NX should be expensive at all and still be significantly more Powerful then wii u
Yeah, that's worth noting. Even if it's more expensive than a disc, you can ship more units in smaller packaging and you save quite a bit from not including a disk drive. fewer moving parts means less heat and less money spent on repairs so they do save money that can be invested elsewhere.
If they're going for pascal they also save a lot on energy consumption which is something Nintendo really likes

To be clear, I'd be satisfied if NX can match Shield TV performance at 1080p when plugged in, and at 540p on battery.

This is basically my expectation, too.

Better than Wii U On-TV while plugged in, better than Wii U Off-TV while portable.

Console mode. Here the system is at max capacity in power where if the chip was under-clocked it'd be now be without its limit, or over-clocked, whichever. However, battery would now drain FAR faster and is designed to be docked. 1080p and 4K upscaling ala XBO S (it'd downscale if you're using it on the go).

This way, should the power go out when docked, it'll still be in console mode running on battery. You can then save your progress or just possibly change the mode and continue on for hours in portable mode.

If the output is 540p on battery, why even bother to have a screen that can output 1080p? Wouldn't that just increase the price for everyone for the benefit of only power users?

And if the power is out, how is your 1080p/4K screen magically still working?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope its just a simple 720P target. 720P handheld, 720P when "docked", however maybe the extra TDP of the "dock" allows some AA to be utilized or something.

it certainly makes things consistent. Dont get me wrong, Im all for more then that, but if their official guidelines simply state 720P, ill be fine.

This is my worst case scenario, well that might be a bit hyperbolic, let's call it my least optimal scenario.

It's a worst of both worlds situation that would likely mean a shitty handheld experience and a shitty console experience.

You're likely looking at only passable battery life for when used as a handheld with an admittedly nice resolution for a handheld, but ultimately overkill if we are talking about a ~5" screen. 540p would be much more efficient and still look really nice at that size. A larger resolution would only be needed if they are looking at a screen over 5.5-6", which would again suck as that would be far too large for a portable device when you factor in the controls and everything making the final size of the device well over 8 inches in length.

Then you are talking about a very suboptimal resolution for TV use in this day and age on a system releasing in 2016, hybrid or not. They need to target and hit 1080p on TV to be taken seriously as a console device. Sure not many Wii U games are 1080p, but some are, so to fail to even meet that standard would be extremely disappointing. I don't really care about XBO or PS4 comparisons, whether it can or cannot competitively match those systems and get equal ports from them is unimportant to me. I just want them to be able to do what Wii U did but in native 1080p instead of 720p.

Being able to take that on go or just laying about around the house and then have it on the TV by just sliding it into a dock is exactly what I want. But maybe that's asking too much.

Using a 3DS to control Smash WiiU? Gross

I did it once for quite a while, because I forgot to bring a spare controller for someone when me and a couple friends got together not long after release. I had my 3DS on my so I just gave one of them my GameCube controller. Actually wasn't that bad, did pretty well. :p

If true could be good, but seriously people keep expectations in check. This thing will be still have to consider the small form factor it is being designed for. Power draw will play a big role even when it's "docked" and it will probably be pocket friendly.

That being said, can't wait to see more of it...can trade in my 3ds and get something with a much nicer screen resolution (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom