• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

Can any tech guys give some insight

What if the NX Handheld is underclocked in portable mode to conserve battery. So games run at a lower 540p resolution.

Then in docked mode the NX overclocks as it doesn't have to worry about battery as it's plugged in a mains. The overclock isn't crazy where you need fans or cooling etc just a moderate upclock the thermals of the machine can handle. On top of that the dock also has extra VRAM expansion and another GPU Core. This is enough to upscale the games graphics natively for 1080p.

Would the above be feasible

They can sell
NX and Dock for $299
NX on its own for $199

Yes I'm thinking the same. But 299 for the dock is way too much. You must now that the doc only increase the power. All the other elements aren't used like disc drive and ect...

So they can maybe do it even for 150 or 100$

I really don't think this thread is like the WUST thread. I do the same thing in this thread that I did back in that thread (try to post about what I'd consider realistic hardware wise -- when I still bothered to), and so far there hasn't been an angry mob jumping at any of my posts in this thread.
Hmm yeah I knew something was still missing. I expect them to turn up sooner or later.

The thing is. Even with worst case specs, this should already be a massive jump over 3dsand even a decent one above Vita, which in itself is amazing. But I feel like people hoping to get PS4 Games on the go are in for a ride awakening.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's a great question and I would like to know that too ;) If I remember right than the Development Kits where overclocked compared to the GPU's build in the final hardware, but I'm not exactly sure ;)

Ideally you may have more memory to allow you to profile and debug your builds without crashing or having to cut your game down to a subset of the available RAM thus wasting some of the consumer HW potential. Having a Dev kit massively more powerful than the retail console is dangerous as it moves the risk of not detecting performance issues on real HW late in the developer process.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just give me a 720p screen, on something slightly larger than a Vita. It's all we need and you could push plenty of bells and whistles at that with the rumored GPU specs.

You risk having games run at sub native resolution like vita if you try and drive too high res a panel. They will likely be driven by available battery life, which will inform wattage, which will inform clock speed and therefore performance.

If scaling is low cost and works well then I wouldn't mind a 720 or 1080p screen for pretty OS or simpler mobile apps, with more fully featured games running at 540p and scaling up. Then it becomes more a cost thing for the screen

But I don't think we should be hoping for higher res screens and having NX drive it natively in all games

I really don't think this thread is like the WUST thread. I do the same thing in this thread that I did back in that thread (try to post about what I'd consider realistic hardware wise -- when I still bothered to), and so far there hasn't been an angry mob jumping at any of my posts in this thread.

After Wii U's shitty specs, you can bet people are less likely to fall down for the same trap. At least I hope so.

Yes I'm thinking the same. But 299 fkr the dock is way too much. You must now that the doc only increase the power. All the other elements aren't used like disc drive and ect...

I think you misunderstood.

NX PLUS Dock = $299
NX only = $199
So, Dock by itself = $100.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hmm yeah I knew something was still missing. I expect them to turn up sooner or later.

The thing is. Even with worst case specs, this should already be a massive jump over 3dsand even a decent one above Vita, which in itself is amazing. But I feel like people hoping to get PS4 Games on the go are in for a ride awakening.

I agree with you.
It seems it will be one hell on a portable but as home console it seems what the Wii was to the GC compared to the wiiu

TH-Work

Banned
Ideally you may have more memory to allow you to profile and debug your builds without crashing or having to cut your game down to a subset of the available RAM thus wasting some of the consumer HW potential. Having a Dev kit massively more powerful than the retail console is dangerous as it moves the risk of not detecting performance issues on real HW late in the developer process.

ksamedi

All you kids are high as a kite with the power estimations. Near XBox One? Way over X360/PS3? I would greatly adjust your expectations.

I think it's a big mistake to use the maximum performance of nVidia X1 used in devkits to be made as the baseline for the power of shipping NX. Going to Pascal from Maxwell doesn't necessarily mean the power will be increased from X1. All it means is that the NX is using more efficient and newer architecture.

In all likelihood, Nintendo will aim for $200 range for the NX. This will limit the size of the battery (~3000mAH would be best you'd expect), quality of the screen, the size of the heatsink/cooling, and most importantly, the size of the SOC. X1 is pretty damn big for ARM CPU due to 256 Maxwell GPU cores. It's not a cool and power sipping SOC by ARM standards. The X1 in the Shield set top box is putting out 10~20W during gaming. That's way past cell phone and tablet territory. That's more power hungry than Core i5 in Surface Pro 4 (15W).

Also is unavoidable fact that the thing is a portable first and foremost, and that will be the baseline for the power envelope for gameplay. Docked mode really doesn't matter unless Nintendo forces all the games to have two distinct performance and thus gameplay modes. That's extra work that devs will not want. All you'll get is resolution bump when docked most likely.

[bold prediction] I suspect that move to Pascal isn't to increase the power from X1's maxwell cores, but rather to improve the efficiency for battery savings. You can do more with less with a newer architecture. This IMO means you will see DECREASE in core count from X1 to whatever will be used in NX. I can see Nintendo commissioning nVidia to make them a SOC with only two Denver 2 CPU cores and 128 Pascal GPU cores. I can maybe see dual Denver 2 + single or dual A53 core for some background operations, but you will not see Hexacore ARM config like X2, and you certainly won't see 256+ Pascal GPU cores. I also expect the clockspeeds in mobile mode to significantly reduced from X1 and X2, as much as 50% reduction perhaps. [/bold prediction]

This will still be a GIGNATIC leap from 3DS and should bring Wii U like performance in a mobile package, and that IMO is a marvel in itself anyways. IMO, you will see nearly identical looking looking Zelda: Breath of Wind on NX and the Wii U.

Anouma did say that Zelda NX would look better.

Peterc

When looking at this rumor, i've searched again for other nintendo patents to figure out what else it could do beside being connected to tv. Here is the list

Some Hologram stuff that can detect your movement.
nintendo-patent-02.jpg

[NOT LIKELY]

Scroll buttons with feedback
nintendocontrollerpatent1-jpeg.jpg

[LIKELY]

Insane headtracking patent
ZHMXypA.png

[MAYBE]

Controller with full screen
nintendo_patent.0.jpg

[MAYBE]

Object detection
20160073033_7bzpap.jpg

fig8gmqx8.jpg

handgesturenintendopatentoheaderimage__medium.jpg

[MAYBE]

Removeable parts
loXqGN9.png

[LIKELY]

Some kinde of smartphone shape for rumble patent
RPheCkHGaYMdoXpi83wJU9-650-80.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...pect_of_nintendo_nx_having_a_portable_handset
[LIKELY] (because of the removeable parts)

Controllable vibration
haptic_1b7xew.png

Hermii

I agree with you.
It seems it will be one hell on a portable but as home console it seems what the Wii was to the GC compared to the wiiu
I wouldn't say that. The Wii is basically a gc with slightly better specs while the NX is using a state of the art Tegra chip and dropping bc. I would say that marks a shift in hw philosophy.

Yes I'm thinking the same. But 299 for the dock is way too much. You must now that the doc only increase the power. All the other elements aren't used like disc drive and ect...

The dock could play games itself and it could be an SCD if you also want the handheld. I could imagine them not forcing people to buy a portable console if they don't want one.

There is zero reason for the dev kits to be 500 gflops if they aren't expected to hit that value in some configuration in the retail unit.

G.ZZZ

Do you have a source for the flop count in the devkit?

That's the X1. I too, personally, think it will hit close to the X1 power via underclocking of Pascal. Seems strange to have a X1 devkit (cooled supposedly) and then go for half that or even less. Imho it's either slightly better or slightly worse, but not substantially so.

Peterc

maxresdefault.jpg

found this one

I dob't think we would get anything like this:
nx-mock-3.jpg

It just looks bad and not confortable to take it on the go.

Ck1

Banned
We're back in full on WUST mode

Not sure anything has gotten that out of hand yet! I think people are still being pretty conservative with their estimates. It's been awhile since Nintendo has used the latest technology and manufacturing process to do so on top of that. So it gives some inspiration that maybe we at least see something unique, while having parity to the other 2 current consoles.

One thing that confused me about the eurogamer article. Aren't dev kits supposed to be stronger than the stock? Is it different with early devkits?

No, ideally they are about the same, but usually they are a bit weaker. They have more RAM though.

It's bad when you build your game with a certain level of hardware in mind...which the final hardware doesn't meet in the end.

This happened with PS3 devkits (and MGS 4).

It's no big deal the other way around.
We're back in full on WUST mode

But we are not. At all.

People are more or less expecting a 540p handheld with a Tegra X1-esque Pascal chip that...with cutbacks....could receive some Xbox One ports (probably not the most demanding ones though).

How is that WUST level of insanity ?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No, ideally they are about the same, but usually they are a bit weaker. They have more RAM though.

It's bad when you build your game with a certain level of hardware in mind...which the final hardware doesn't meet in the end.

This happened with PS3 devkits (and MGS 4).

It's no big deal the other way around.

Yeah, there has been talk here about the X1 overclocked and vented being just a sign of a dev kit being more powerful than retail units, but I remember how the major difference for Wii U between devkits and retail was the amount of RAM (respectively 4GB and 2GB), not the SoC itself; and that such difference is the usual one between the two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, there has been talk here about the X1 overclocked and vented being just a sign of a dev kit being more powerful than retail units, but I remember how the major difference for Wii U between devkits and retail was the amount of RAM (respectively 4GB and 2GB), not the SoC itself; and that such difference is the usual one between the two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3gb ram in the wii u dev kits

G.ZZZ

If it's really a Pascal architecture though, they couldn't help using X1 simply because there still isn't a Pascal-based Tegra available (well, there is for self-driving cars, but that has completely different level of specs). Which is what all this topic is about. I don't doubt it won't have too different from X1 level of performance, but it won't be an X1 if this rumor is true.

But we are not. At all.

People are more or less expecting a 540p handheld with a Tegra X1-esque Pascal chip that...with cutbacks....could receive some Xbox One ports (probably not the most demanding ones though).

How is that WUST level of insanity ?

Honestly? You even have to ask after people expect Xbone Ports to a handheld?

Yeah no, we're in full on WUST mode. By next week this thing might just feauter a Tegra X3 blowing away Scorpio, and have the battery life of a Duracell Bunny on Speed.

It's going to end up in dissapointment for a lot of people, especially if they indeed believe the fantastical power dreams flung around here by some as legitimate scenarios...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The comparisons with WUST are disingenuous. WUST was pure mass hysteria. This is a nice discussion. Sure, there are some unrealistic hopes like a 1080p screen or over XB1 levels of power, but most of the assumptions are quite level headed.

Actually I find more disingenuous some calls for lowering expectations and comparison to WUST when they are accompanied by some figures that are so much below the measured data for X1.

Ganondolf

Yeah no, we're in full on WUST mode. By next week this thing might just feauter a Tegra X3 blowing away Scorpio, and have the battery life of a Duracell Bunny on Speed.

It's going to end up in dissapointment for a lot of people, especially if they indeed believe the fantastical power dreams flung around here by some as legitimate scenarios...

Did you not hear about the Titan 2 dock? 11tflops of goodness

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If it's really a Pascal architecture though, they couldn't help using X1 simply because there still isn't a Tegra-based Pascal available (well, there is for self-driving cars, but that has completely different level of specs). Which is what all this topic is about. I don't doubt it won't be much difference from X1 level of performance, but it won't be an X1 if this rumor is true.

Uh, sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough. I was talking about significant downgrades from dev kits to retail units, and the RAM amount is what (from what I've seen so far) gets downgraded for retail units, while the other components (barring exceptions) are more or less the same, especially comparing final dev kits to what appears on shelves. Hopefully now it's clearer. Again (now with better context I hope), I ask if what I said is correct :p

AzaK

The comparisons with WUST are disingenuous. WUST was pure mass hysteria. This is a nice discussion. Sure, there are some unrealistic hopes like a 1080p screen or over XB1 levels of power, but most of the assumptions are quite level headed.

Actually I find more disingenuous some calls for lowering expectations and comparison to WUST when they are accompanied by some figures that are so much below the measured data for X1.

What are the wattages on X1? From reading these threads it seems people say that a SOC needs to be about 3-4w for a handheld, +1-2 more for the extras - is this correct?

Could it be that the machine will need to be down locked considerably to his that wattage?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Stop acting like you care about this.

Also there won't be too many Xbone ports anyhow, so the discussion is pointless.

What are the wattages on X1? From reading these threads it seems people say that a SOC needs to be about 3-4w for a handheld, +1-2 more for the extras - is this correct?

Could it be that the machine will need to be down locked considerably to his that wattage?

X1's GPU at 500 Mhz draws 1.5 watts.

MuchoMalo

Banned
All you kids are high as a kite with the power estimations. Near XBox One? Way over X360/PS3? I would greatly adjust your expectations.

I think it's a big mistake to use the maximum performance of nVidia X1 used in devkits to be made as the baseline for the power of shipping NX. Going to Pascal from Maxwell doesn't necessarily mean the power will be increased from X1. All it means is that the NX is using more efficient and newer architecture.

In all likelihood, Nintendo will aim for $200 range for the NX. This will limit the size of the battery (~3000mAH would be best you'd expect), quality of the screen, the size of the heatsink/cooling, and most importantly, the size of the SOC. X1 is pretty damn big for ARM CPU due to 256 Maxwell GPU cores. It's not a cool and power sipping SOC by ARM standards. The X1 in the Shield set top box is putting out 10~20W during gaming. That's way past cell phone and tablet territory. That's more power hungry than Core i5 in Surface Pro 4 (15W).

Also is unavoidable fact that the thing is a portable first and foremost, and that will be the baseline for the power envelope for gameplay. Docked mode really doesn't matter unless Nintendo forces all the games to have two distinct performance and thus gameplay modes. That's extra work that devs will not want. All you'll get is resolution bump when docked most likely.

[bold prediction] I suspect that move to Pascal isn't to increase the power from X1's maxwell cores, but rather to improve the efficiency for battery savings. You can do more with less with a newer architecture. This IMO means you will see DECREASE in core count from X1 to whatever will be used in NX. I can see Nintendo commissioning nVidia to make them a SOC with only two Denver 2 CPU cores and 128 Pascal GPU cores. I can maybe see dual Denver 2 + single or dual A53 core for some background operations, but you will not see Hexacore ARM config like X2, and you certainly won't see 256+ Pascal GPU cores. I also expect the clockspeeds in mobile mode to significantly reduced from X1 and X2, as much as 50% reduction perhaps. [/bold prediction]

This will still be a GIGNATIC leap from 3DS and should bring Wii U like performance in a mobile package, and that IMO is a marvel in itself anyways. IMO, you will see nearly identical looking looking Zelda: Breath of Wind on NX and the Wii U.

Well, that certainly is a bold prediction. It's wrong, though. You can't do "more with less" going from Maxwell to Pascal since they're basically the same architecture other than the node used. So, going down to 1 SM at half the speed would mean that current dev kits are around 4x as powerful as the target specs, and that makes no sense. I'm not gonna argue with the rest of what's said here though; not because I agree, but because I understand why you're only able to expect the absolute minimum.

Only gonna get more WUST as time goes on and there is no official info. Cmon, we know how this game plays out.
At the time of the OG Wii threads and the Wii U speculation threads, there were a lot of people convinced that the visuals would be amazing and in line with what's on or coming to the market IIRC. I'd just advise those people to keep their expectations in check - you don't want to get burnt a third time. All I'm getting from the rumours at the moment is that it'll be a Wii U paracetamol tablets.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, that certainly is a bold prediction. It's wrong, though. You can't do "more with less" going from Maxwell to Pascal since they're basically the same architecture other than the node used. So, going down to 1 SM at half the speed would mean that current dev kits are around 4x as powerful as the target specs, and that makes no sense.

Especially considering the report that X1 in the devkits uses active cooling.

I still don't see it.

I think you are the one mistaken and don't understand how unimpressive the FullHDtwins' internals are (especially the CPU) in the grand scheme of things.

Look, I don't expect AAA games like FF XV to run on the handheld (it's not even running all that well on consoles), but basically everything else from japan (or similarly demanding western games) has a shot ,including DQ XI PS4 and Ni No Kuni 2.

Nobody expects Scorpio in a handheld. But a TX1 equivalent might just be efficient and powerful enough to get in the XBox One ballpark.

Correct ! The big WiiU-disappointment started when people hot their hands on devkits (according to our own insiders).

Ganondolf

So how much ram do we think this thing needs. 8gb would be the best for ports but maybe it will not need as much if it's lower species than the xb1. Also it's possible that Nintendo's OS will be more basic than the other 2 which would need less ram and cpu power.

G.ZZZ

So how much ram do we think this thing needs. 8gb would be the best for ports but maybe it will not need as much if it's lower species than the xb1. Also it's possible that Nintendo's OS will be more basic than the other 2 which would need less ram and cpu power.

It's not really about the quantity but the quality here, because mobile ram is costly or slower

KAL2006

Banned
Didn't one of the leaks mention Nintendo going for low end graphics and will be cheaper than all consoles.

I expect less than Wii U performance in portable mode where system is severely underclocked. However due to low res 540p screen games would look identical such as Zelda running at 540p but looks like the Wii U version which runs at 720p.

Once docked the system will overclock to give it 2x performance, may also have additional VRAM on the dock to help with the Upscaling but no way another GPU as SLI is way too expensive. The dock will allow games to be up scaled to 720p to 1080p natively. But the performance of games in dock mode is basically 2x better than a Wii U, so just Zelda running on 1080p with no other graphics enhancements. Or running in 720p with better graphics.

People mentioning this will be anywhere near Xbox One levels have got it all wrong.

ecosse_011172

Didn't one of the leaks mention Nintendo going for low end graphics and will be cheaper than all consoles.

I expect less than Wii U performance in portable mode where system is severely underclocked. However due to low res 540p screen games would look identical such as Zelda running at 540p but looks like the Wii U version which runs at 720p.

Once docked the system will overclock to give it 2x performance, may also have additional VRAM on the dock to help with the Upscaling but no way another GPU as SLI is way too expensive. The dock will allow games to be up scaled to 720p to 1080p natively. But the performance of games in dock mode is basically 2x better than a Wii U, so just Zelda running on 1080p with no other graphics enhancements. Or running in 720p with better graphics.

People mentioning this will be anywhere near Xbox One levels have got it all wrong.
I love it when people post random speculation as fact.

ozfunghi

The info is that it will be a hybrid console (handheld/home). The GPU inside it is running (when docked presumably) overclocked. The GPU is an X1 and will be replaced by a Pascal variation. Pascal is more powerefficient. An NX version of Zelda U is being made.

Why would would they overclock it if they are not even aiming for X360 performance? How would they run Zelda U on it? If they are going for the same games 1080p docked and 540p on battery, only that reduces the workload by 300%. Drop some dynamic shadows and texture resolution along the way and the workload for the GPU drops immensely. A stock X1 reaches 0.5TF, so how much is it overclocked? Surely the Pascal chip is meant to mimic the overclocked X1's performance at a lower power draw?

Ganondolf

The info is that it will be a hybrid console (handheld/home). The GPU inside it is running (when docked presumably) overclocked. The GPU is an X1 and will be replaced by a Pascal variation. Pascal is more powerefficient. An NX version of Zelda U is being made.

Why would would they overclock it if they are not even aiming for X360 performance? How would they run Zelda U on it? If they are going for the same games 1080p docked and 540p on battery, only that reduces the workload by 300%. Drop some dynamic shadows and texture resolution along the way and the workload for the GPU drops immensely. A stock X1 reaches 0.5TF, so how much is it overclocked? Surely the Pascal chip is meant to mimic the overclocked X1's performance at a lower power draw?

I'm not sure the x1 in the dev kits are overclocked, they need active cooling to hit full clock speed (or near to) in mobile form. With Pascal I reckon Nintendo will try and get as close to the 500gflop as possible in mobile form but even if they only get half that (250gflops) it's will above Wii u (176gflops). I reckon it will be 350gflops at the lowest and 500gflops at best in mobile mode.

SuperHans

For a tegra x1 to have less then Wii u performance they would have to clock it to a ridiculously low level and we're hearing that its being actively cooled in the dev kits.

KAL2006

Banned
For a tegra x1 to have less then Wii u performance they would have to clock it to a ridiculously low level and we're hearing that its being actively cooled in the dev kits.

I thought Dev kits need to be more powerful and also the dev kits could be for docked mode where the system overclocks.

Anyways you are probably right but I'm just being cautious and keeping my expectations low. Either way I should be happy as long as we can get a games that looks like Zelda BotW running in 540p in portable mode. I just watched a Gameplay video of Zelda on my Vita and it looks amazing on the small screen so to even match Wii U graphics in 540p on a portable would be insane for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom