• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
No, sorry. No screen today should have a dead pixel, no one. If I get a screen, any screen and have a pixel error, it goes back to company but that never happened in the last years, because it barely happens anywhere nowadays. The only company that uses really bad screen in their products is Nintendo. The New 3DS has even two different displays of different quality and the consumer doesn't even know which kind of display he or she will get. And now the Switch is going to have dead pixels and they are not considering it a defect? For a 330 Euro product, that doesn't even have a 1080p screen? Just wow, that's brazen!

Do you have any proof that the dead pixels are a widespread problem for the switch or are you just making an ill informed post about this?

Breakage

I heard in Japanese culture there's a concept called wabi-sabi which roughly translates to beauty in imperfection. Maybe Nintendo's stance is just an expression of this philosophy.

Mike Golf

The topic should be changed to reflect what is actually being quoted. It's selective quoting that makes the topic very misleading and inflammatory.

"Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect."

I have seen this exact wording on just about every portable and flat panel TV I have ever owned. Can we stop with the Switch shitting for a day or two at least?

Edit: Definitely not condoning the policy, I have never accepted a single dead or stuck pixel on any device and in my experience at least retailers are good about accepting the return. This certainly should be changed industry wide to a single defective pixel being grounds for a replacement unit.

I remember when my launch Vita got a dead pixel after a week. The retailer was happy to replace it, though I reckon Sony would have said the same thing as Nintendo if I'd gone directly to them.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

It doesn't have a save file feature?

Kremzeek

So tired of Nintendo's lame excuses for:

- dead pixels
- joycon signal loss
- no save game backup/transfer

I feel like they're always either shrugging or giving the middle finger to their "fans", expecting us to just "deal with it".

Justinh

ps6mLVI.jpg

There has to be some sort of threshold, right? Like if there are 3 or 5 dead pixels then they'll replace it right?

Actually, I guess you'd just return it to the retailer...

No, sorry. No screen today should have a dead pixel, no one. If I get a screen, any screen and have a pixel error, it goes back to company but that never happened in the last years, because it barely happens anywhere nowadays. The only company that uses really bad screen in their products is Nintendo. The New 3DS has even two different displays of different quality and the consumer doesn't even know which kind of display he or she will get. And now the Switch is going to have dead pixels and they are not considering it a defect? For a 330 Euro product, that doesn't even have a 1080p screen? Just wow, that's brazen!

Displays of different quality is also.... normal for everything that has a display. "TV Panel Loterry" is a thing you know. You can be enraged how much you want but this happens with every manufacturer. It's not like there's a bunch of Switch with dead pixels popping up either.

Deku Tree

In b4 Amazon stops selling the switch directly after Nintendo refuses to reimburse them for accepting dead pixel returns.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So tired of Nintendo's lame excuses for:

- dead pixels
- joycon signal loss
- no save game backup/transfer

I feel like they're always either shrugging or giving the middle finger to their "fans", expecting us to just "deal with it".
For what it's worth I think they're trying to attribute the first one to design flaws in he manufacturing process, the second to user error, and the this one to "fuck you you already bought the system lalala I can't hear you"

Kouriozan

Same with Samsung saying if their TV have less than 6 dead pixels, it is normal, happened to me and they refused to exchange it. (tips : it's to avoid people using the warranty)

I'm starting to feel the effects of an internet echo chamber regarding the Switch here.

You can just tell which users just came into the thread with the mindset "Haha! I knew this was a piece of shit and I was right all along :)" without even properly reading or thinking about what they were saying.

WolfStark

Displays of different quality is also.... normal for everything that has a display. "TV Panel Loterry" is a thing you know. You can be enraged how much you want but this happens with every manufacturer. It's not like there's a bunch of Switch with dead pixels popping up either.

There is a difference between different calibrations of the same screens and literally different kind of screens. But hey it's Nintendo so the Nintendo Defense Force feels the need to protect the poor company for their quality issues, that aren't even new but stick with the company for some years now.

-GJ-

Had a 3DS with a dead pixel years ago. Sent it in for repairs and got it back 3 weeks later unrepaired with a note that they couldn't find any defects on my system, and that they only count dead pixels as a defect when there's at least 7 of them.

So you're saying that people on GAF are freaking out over Nintendo having the normal stance on something because they don't know what they're talking about.
WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED!?

There is a difference between different calibrations of the same screens and literally different kind of screens. But hey it's Nintendo so the Nintendo Defense Force feels the need to protect the poor company for their quality issues, that aren't even new but stick with the company for some years now.

Maybe you should calm down before calling everyone that disagrees with you the Nintendo Defense Force? TVs don't get the ISP/TN screen variation, but the same model can actually have a bunch of different types of screens made by different manufacturers. It's not just calibration, they are quite literally different panels with different proprieties. Like I said, you can be outraged by whatever you want, just be aware that this happens everywhere

Nah, there is a laundry list of things that is turning people off of the system without even mentioning this.

Any outrage is good outrage then I guess? Even if it's a policy that is everywhere?

ironcreed

Banned
You can just tell which users just came into the thread with the mindset "Haha! I knew this was a piece of shit and I was right all along :)" without even properly reading or thinking about what they were saying.

Nah, there is a laundry list of things that is turning people off of the system without even mentioning this.

Its the same generic warning Nintendo and Sony have had for years regarding their handhelds. If you get one with dead pixels support pretty much always will take it back and do their thing.

Are we going to go down every little page of the Nintendo Support section now and find things to run to neogaf about?

Maybe. Does it upset you?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Given all the bs with the switch I don't see how anyone could excited for it...Zelda sure but not the hardware

I commute for about 2-2.5 hours every day and I think having a handheld this powerful is pretty exciting and then it "doubling up" as a home console sweetens the deal.

The screen being plastic is a bummer though but [what this thread is about] isn't really an issue as from what I've seen dead pixels isn't a widespread issue with the switch screen and nintendo holds the same stance as every other manufacturer .

I'm pretty sure I read the whole thread...

With the exception of the guy who said he has replaced two Switches I don't see a lot of evidence of dead pixel issues or any difference between Nintendos dealings with this and say the PSP and Vita.

But I'll cop being ignorant if that's what it takes.

You want to make a thread about the dock issues? Absolutely! But this is not a specifically Nintendo thing.

Oh, that wasn't meant at you, I was agreeing with you ahaha. It really feels like an echo chamber in which people are actively pursuing things to be mad about the system. Which is weird when there are actual issues that are worse than normal company policy regarding dead pixels

Edit: Oh whoops sorry, didn't see the edit.

Lyriell

Oh, that wasn't meant at you, I was agreeing with you ahaha. It really feels like an echo chamber in which people are actively pursuing things to be mad about the system. Which is weird when there are actual issues that are worse than normal company policy regarding dead pixels

Yep, my apologies for jumping the gun there.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I returned a 65 inch TV for a single dead pixel. Best Buy took it take without much fuss. On a handheld it's unacceptable. Even more.

Yeah, best buy took it because they aren't the manufacturer. I would bet that if you went to the place you bought a switch with a deadpixel you could return it too.

Just for fun I typed "dead pixels" into the search bar and one old thread in the first page of results jumped out at me:

Seems it's not just Nintendo that gets singled out for these things :)

That was 11 years ago...

Why? There would still be manufacturing flaws albeit im sure the list would be shorter. Not EVERYTHING gets through assembly line testing.

It's a number of things beyond just the dead pixel issue that I feel like I don't need to go into. In terms of this specifically though, Nintendo just comes off as pathetically defensive, something they would only do if they know they rushed their product to market and need to cover in the most insulting way.

What happens if you put in a support request for a replacement of a system with dead pixels?

Nintendo denies the request, they get bad PR as Kotaku and other sites pick up on it, Nintendo has a press release where they say they have changed their Warranty Information (including the least number of dead pixels they will replace), then they start replacing the Switches.

Trogdor1123

The hardware is solid.

Seems kinda dodgey from me but maybe is due to the post below. Hard to say. Also, to be clear I meant the OS as well.

Or anecdotal poor experiences are being amplified by Nintendo shitting from those who don't own the console.

Could be, but I don't think it's been a smooth sailing

I commute for about 2-2.5 hours every day and I think having a handheld this powerful is pretty exciting and then it "doubling up" as a home console sweetens the deal.

The screen being plastic is a bummer though but [what this thread is about] isn't really an issue as from what I've seen dead pixels isn't a widespread issue with the switch screen and nintendo holds the same stance as every other manufacturer .
I hope so, I'd like to get one in a year or so but might just wait for the revision.

Yeah, best buy took it because they aren't the manufacturer. I would bet that if you went to the place you bought a switch with a deadpixel you could return it too.

Word. But in 2017 this is a shitty stance for a company to take. It's definitely a defect for the consumer.

Madness

Never had any home electronic with a dead pixel so far, the day I get one that has it will be an instant return or exchange. Never compromise especially with your hard earned money.

Nintendo has been poor with hardware for a while now. I remember I had to exchange my DS Lite 5 times at stores so I could get one without the yellow tint LCD screen defect. The Switch is already a pretty expensive console and the screen itself is integral, if you find stuck or dead pixels exhange right away.

Top Bottom