• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

Mawile

Banned
BcBpkeD.gif

I know FCs aren't the best but some of your reactions are hilariously over the top.

Chillax and wait for the facts.

Ah...more of this "relax" or "non issue" nonsense each time Nintendo does something questionable.

I feel like I've seen statements such as this a lot to the point they have become increasingly predictable.

All we can hope is the mobile app allows you to add by username (lol this so backwards considering phones use numbers) or will be added by the fall when the online goes behind a paywall.

Kthulhu

Thing is, and this may be the crux of the issue, you can currently have a Nintendo Account without a User ID.

It is one of multiple ways, yes.

Awesome. Then let me use a fucking username search like every other platform.

I hope to god Nintendo patches in some better online features before the full rollout. Between this and the voice chat app they may kill people's desire to play online.

I fucking called it. I fucking called it. I remember saying watch it have friend codes and people in that thread laughed at me saying it wouldn't cause the WiiU didn't

Jesus fucking christ Nintendo, one step forward and three steps back every single time.

Buzzi

It won't be a big problem for me as it wasn't on 3DS, but it's another unexplainable nintendo things. And one more noce feature removed from Wii U, minimum is the new minimal.

Dunno what your answer to the question actually was.

If a player can change their username as often as they like - then what should be the way of adding Friends? Surely the system needs one constant "code".

Like come the hell on man. You're going really sit here and make excuses for this? I don't care what they had or have to do. If there is an obstacle stopping users from using user names, then they should have changed the way their online account system works. I don't know how much more clear I can be.

I don't work for Nintendo. I don't have to come up with fixes or alternatives to get their account system working at a comparable level to consoles from the early 2000s.

I understand Japan uses Friend Codes so I'm not going to crap on them, but come on you can't keep focusing only on Japan man. Think about the western audience too...

tensuke

All Nintendo had to do was copy how MS/Sony does accounts. Username, no dumb friend code, friends, party, messages, purchases, trophies/achievements, avatar, any other user information, etc. It's so extremely basic. How. How could this happen? Reggie, why have you forsaken me??!

I'm going to defend it on the basis that it's a slight inconvenience but that there are a bunch of convenient methods added too

And other platforms haver been able to not use friend codes and use those methods too. Why is it so hard to say "Nintendo this is stupid, use your WiiU method"?

All we can hope is the mobile app allows you to add by username (lol this so backwards considering phones use numbers) or will be added by the fall when the online goes behind a paywall.
Oh for sure. If the mobile app does NOT let us add by our usernames or we have to use friend codes for a paid online service, then I'm seriously considering to just avoid online heavy games like Splatoon 2. Fucking bullshit and they should be railed to hell and back for this shit

The Wii U didn't have this problem. Why does their shiny new system have it?!

I fucking called it. I fucking called it. I remember saying watch it have friend codes and people in that thread laughed at me saying it wouldn't cause the WiiU didn't

Jesus fucking christ Nintendo, one step forward and three steps back every single time.

Well more accurate would be 1 step back 3 steps forward

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that you can't use Nintendo Account usernames to add friends just blows my mind.

Yeah this seems totally crazy. None of the ways listed are really a good alternative to just searching via username. I was really hoping with the Switch launch this stuff would finally be behind us with Nintendo

I already know what's going to happen.

Searching by User ID will come for when the paid app comes out. "Search by User ID through phone app".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ah...more of this "relax" or "non issue" nonsense each time Nintendo does something questionable.

I feel like I've seen statements such as this a lot to the point they have become increasingly predictable.
Well, if you want to be overly angry on the internet be my guest. I'll still laugh at those acting like prima-donnas.

Also, I didn't say it was a non-issue, I'm just waiting to see how awkward it is when I get my hands on it rather then jumping to angry conclusions.

daxgame

While friend codes never really bothered me, I can sympathize with the outcry. Shitty decision which I hope will be reconsidered. Assuming there are no other options to add friends, that is.

edit: and just to be clear the other options in the article are not "other options" good enough

Etzer

Well, if you want to be overly angry on the internet be my guest. I'll still laugh at those acting like prima-donnas.

Also, I didn't say it was a non-issue, I'm just waiting to see how awkward it is when I get my hands on it rather then jumping to angry conclusions.
What is there to wait for? We know how Friend Codes work.

HunteronX

Banned
Even if user IDs are swappable, they are still unique, so you can move an old friends list to the new user ID anyway - an exposed number like a friend code isn't required at all.

I think Nintendo have forgotten how much people hated friend codes. A simple user ID search would obviously be better.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/16/nintendo-switch-wont-friend-codes-reggie-steady-pacing-content/

Reggie said:
“People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.”

Top Bottom