• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

This is incredible. Whats the situation with the Marvel license? I feel like The Incredible Hulk is amazing but of the theme and ride set up.

Universal basically has the Marvel contract for as long as they want it. Universal can also revise existing Marvel attractions and build new ones as they like; Marvel/Disney can only refuse them on reasonable grounds (primarily concerning accurate representation of the brand). Saying "you can't build X because we don't like you" wouldn't be considered "reasonable", for example. Disney has the ability to do as they please with Marvel west of the Mississippi River.

RomanceDawn

You know what I love about theme parks? Seeing the characters!

Universal has really gone down hill in the character department in the last 10 years or so. It used to be so fun with so many different characters everywhere! Then year after year there were more cuts and no one to replace them with.

Expect the first summer to start of strong with like 16 characters! The main stays of Smash. As soon as summer is over they'll cut everyone but Mario, Luigi, Link and Samus.
By winter expect DK, Yoshi, Toad and Duck Hunt to make it back only to lose all 4 of them once peak hours are gone along with Samus. Every summer we get 1 new comer and lose 2 veterans.

Richie

Expect the first summer to start of strong with like 16 characters! The main stays of Smash. As soon as summer is over they'll cut everyone but Mario, Luigi, Link and Samus.
By winter expect DK, Yoshi, Toad and Duck Hunt to make it back only to lose all 4 of them once peak hours are gone along with Samus. Every summer we get 1 new comer and lose 2 veterans.

Wow, real life amiibo experience.

Forbidden Journey or Gringotts? Gringotts opened last year and I might even like it more than FJ. Both are fucking killer though.

I've only been to the Harry Potter world at USJ and they only had Forbidden Journey at the time of my visit. It's great to know that it wasn't a fluke. It exceeded every one of my considerable expectations.

Look at DisneyWorld. There's multiple parks spread over multiple properties.

Disney was able to secure tons of land very early on in central Florida's development. That luxury doesn't exist for Universal. There really are no opportunities for a massive land development reasonably close to the existing Universal Orlando. And they're already moving to add another parking garage/resort hotel near property.

They have plenty of ability to nuke some existing areas, though. Like people have said, that Woody Kids section in Universal, Dr. Seuss in IOA (would be pretty small I guess), or the Jurassic Park/Dino area in IOA. Although with Jurassic Park making a comeback in the movies, I doubt they touch that. But then again, I'm not expert.

Disney is the better park

If you are under ten years old

Only 10 year olds believe this.

Going to Epcot for Oktoberfest, trying all the food and drinks at the World Showcase and then hopping on Test Track is some of the most fun I've had at a theme park.

Speaking of Test Track, I will be livid if there isn't an F-Zero ride that takes the best parts of that experience for itself.

Neospartan

Neo Member
I have an idea for a Mario Kart attraction but it may be impossible to actually make. I'm thinking there would be an actual go-kart race track that has specialized carts that have a rotating body above the wheels. The drivers would wear AR glasses that show the items on the track (banana peels, incoming shells, etc.). There would also be actual lit panels on the track that when driven over send a signal to the kart to go faster than normal. Similarly, there would be "?" panels on the ground that give you items ala Super Mario Kart. The item you have would show up on a panel on your dashboard. Anytime you get hit by an item the kart would slow down and the top of the kart would spin around.

Nothing there makes me think it would be impossible to make. The technology is there for everything. It would just be expensive, perhaps too expensive to be worth it, but possible nonetheless.

Nanashrew

Banned
Something I've been thinking about about. But could this kind of partnership also open doors to any kinds of movie deals with Universal Pictures?

I'm not really knowledgeable on the subject on how this stuff works I'm just really curious because I would love to see a CG movie of a Nintendo IP.

Bulbasaur

Banned
As many have said - Nintendo and Disney seem like a much better suit. And I'm sure there has been discussion in the past between the two. Maybe Nintendo are scared that by dancing with the devil they will eventually be absorbed by the corporate juggernaut.

I would like to take a moment to point out that real life Mario Kart is a thing. This was showcased last year at SxSW 2014. People were able to drive around a track, pick up electronic "items", and use those items to help them win.

I never got to try it, though. The line was always too long. =(

If a Mario Kart attraction gets built, I'd bet that it would be a more refined version of what was over at SxSW.

Andre needs to lower expectations (although the using toon lagoon as mario and zelda and the expanding pokemon into USF kidzone as i said in a previous post could make a lot of sense if the initial zone just brings a bunch of new visitors like harry potter did).
But the "knowledgable" theme park guy thats talking... Ugh, he sounds like a fucking idiot that isnt really that good at the theme park stuff (his marvel island explanarion for example). He repeating how much he hated harry potter at every chance he got didnt help either.

Nanashrew

Banned
Andre needs to lower expectations (although the using toon lagoon as mario and zelda and the expanding pokemon into USF kidzone as i said in a previous post could make a lot of sense if the initial zone just brings a bunch of new visitors like harry potter did).
But the "knowledgable" theme park guy thats talking... Ugh, he sounds like a fucking idiot that isnt really that good at the theme park stuff (his marvel island explanarion for example). He repeating how much he hated harry potter at every chance he got didnt help either.

That's Josh Thomas of The BitBlock. He says a lot of things.

That's Josh Thomas of The BitBlock. He says a lot of things.
By how they described him i thought andre really got someone that new their theme park stuff. The majority of people in the neogaf theme park and coaster thread could have done a better job than that guy.

I feel like Disney could do so much more with the IP.

Universal is barely a step above Six Flags.
Look, im a huge disney theme parks fan, but you are dead wrong.
Since some years ago they got their head from the mud and started wanting to be real competition for disney world. Now they are faster with excellet work than what disney is doing. And who thought at disney avatarland was a good idea for a huge land and could compete agaisnt harry potter is a big idiot.

Neospartan

Neo Member
I would like to take a moment to point out that real life Mario Kart is a thing. This was showcased last year at SxSW 2014. People were able to drive around a track, pick up electronic "items", and use those items to help them win.

I never got to try it, though. The line was always too long. =(

If a Mario Kart attraction gets built, I'd bet that it would be a more refined version of what was over at SxSW.

They did that in 3-4 months? That's impressive. If they could do that, imagine what could be done in a circuit designed for this from the get-go.

Kriken

I got bored, so here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Star Fox in a similar fashion to Star Tours from Disney World where everyone is put in one big "Ship" that's the Great Fox.

F-Zero as a roller coaster, nothing more need be added

Donkey Kong splash ride where 4 people are put in a "Mine cart"

Kirby in the style of a drop tower, people are put into a Kirby shaped car and he flies up, and up and up, until he runs out of stamina and falls

Legend of Zelda would get a pirate ship type ride using the King of the Seas

Do they do petting zoo type stuff at Universal? Because I see Pokemon as a perfect fit even if it's just animatronics

For Metroid, make a Gravitron type ride
I admit, this one's a bit lazy

And finally, make the Mushroom Kingdom as a place to walk around

Oh and as a bonus, here's the prototype for Captain Toad's ride
Mr_Toad's_Wild_Ride.JPG

There are pros and cons regarding Disney vs Universal that would pretty much but them on equal terms in my eyes but that's all moot at this point.

Anyways, they need to have Song of Storms play over the speakers whenever it rains. That alone would be worth the price of admission.

I hope people aren't actually expecting Fire Emblem rides. I'd wager it will be Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong, with Kirby and Pokémon thrown in if Hal and The Pokémon Company cooperate. Remember, neither franchise was represented in Nintendo Land.

Bentendo

Man, as likely as it is that Islands of Adventure will get it, Universal Studios Orlando is in more need of a big attraction. It pales in comparison to its neighbor, even more so now that Universal has confirmed that the new King Kong ride will be added to Islands of Adventure. I think Universal just has too many clunkers, such as Twister, Disaster, Fear Factor, Terminator (it has its fans but it's gotta go) and, I really hate saying it, E.T. The new Harry Potter land also feels so out of place there because it's just so damn beautiful compared to the rest of the park. It really, really needs some more love on the same level as Diagon Alley, and unfortunately I PERSONALLY feel the Springfield addition was kind of poorly executed.

Nintendo would make things more interesting there. I personally feel Universal is in need of a revamp as much as Disney's Hollywood Studios is. Most people won't agree with me, but I feel the layout is outdated. People enjoy a land based on a single property. Diagon Alley would be a lot less interesting if it was just a single ride tacked onto one of the existing, generic "lands". I mean... technically Transformers, Despicable Me and Shrek are all part of the same land at Universal. It's crazy lol.

Ideally a Nintendo theme land would replace San Francisco (not even rumored, would probably never happen for several reasons but I like the idea) because there is nothing of worth in that area. It could maybe consume a little bit of New York too. Losing Disaster, IMO the worst attraction in the entire park, would be a blessing and Blues Brothers is not very popular I don't think. They should also officially separate Springfield from World Expo because as it stands Springfield is not recognized as its own land. To make things interesting they should get rid of Fear Factor and MIB (I love the ride, but it's just an idea) and make World Expo a more coherent themed land (maybe Nintendo land! lol). Or keep MIB and turn Fear Factor into a second Men in Black ride and make World Expo completely centered around MIB (I hate this idea but it's better than what they have now and I can never see them getting rid of MIB because of how popular it is... unless Universal wants to keep the concept and change the license).

Man, as likely as it is that Islands of Adventure will get it, Universal Studios Orlando is in more need of a big attraction...
I don't think the assumption that it'll be going to Islands is necessarily true. The Rumor mill has pointed to a kid zone redo after a Jurassic park update following Kong. Few people know what properties Universal has been looking at to replace the aging kid zone properties but I definitely think we know what properties will be coming with this announcement.

Is it like the Monster Hunter/Keroro event attractions, or is it something more permanent?

Because if it's the later, I'm hyped.
I don't think the former is very likely since it seem like Universal Orlando were the ones to announce this. If it was Universal Japan announcing this I would definitely think the former was the case. I don't think that type of "The Real" attraction is something Universal Orlando is looking for to draw in crowds.

Bentendo

I don't think the assumption that it'll be going to Islands is necessarily true. The Rumor mill has pointed to a kid zone redo after a Jurassic park update following Kong. Few people know what properties Universal has been looking at to replace the aging kid zone properties but I definitely think we know what properties will be coming with this announcement.

I'm hoping that the Smurf rumor doesn't come true! lol

I hope people aren't actually expecting Fire Emblem rides. I'd wager it will be Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong, with Kirby and Pokémon thrown in if Hal and The Pokémon Company cooperate. Remember, neither franchise was represented in Nintendo Land.

Nintendo Land is probably a good game to look at if you want to see what franchises would probably be represented. I really, really don't think we'll see Pokemon and I'd wager it's even more unlikely that we'll see Kirby. Space is limited, and at launch of the land we'll probably get two rides with the potential of expansion down the line. There is very little chance of a new land featuring more than this, and if the ride is an e-ticket style ride we may only get ONE with the potential of another smaller one down the road. Good examples to look at include:

*Diagon Alley - 1 attraction (not including the train), a butt load of shops and restaurants.
*Pandora (Avatar Land) - Presumably two attractions, one being an e-ticket ride.

New rides are expensive. New lands are outrageous. New lands replacing old ones can be a complete headache too.

I wonder which park this will be in, and how much space they will dedicate to Nintendo. Universal does a hell of a job with their attractions, I remember going there for Halloween and they turned the entire park into a zombie appocolypes.

Chindogg

Man, as likely as it is that Islands of Adventure will get it, Universal Studios Orlando is in more need of a big attraction. It pales in comparison to its neighbor, even more so now that Universal has confirmed that the new King Kong ride will be added to Islands of Adventure. I think Universal just has too many clunkers, such as Twister, Disaster, Fear Factor, Terminator (it has its fans but it's gotta go) and, I really hate saying it, E.T. The new Harry Potter land also feels so out of place there because it's just so damn beautiful compared to the rest of the park. It really, really needs some more love on the same level as Diagon Alley, and unfortunately I PERSONALLY feel the Springfield addition was kind of poorly executed.

Nintendo would make things more interesting there. I personally feel Universal is in need of a revamp as much as Disney's Hollywood Studios is. Most people won't agree with me, but I feel the layout is outdated. People enjoy a land based on a single property. Diagon Alley would be a lot less interesting if it was just a single ride tacked onto one of the existing, generic "lands". I mean... technically Transformers, Despicable Me and Shrek are all part of the same land at Universal. It's crazy lol.

Ideally a Nintendo theme land would replace San Francisco (not even rumored, would probably never happen for several reasons but I like the idea) because there is nothing of worth in that area. It could maybe consume a little bit of New York too. Losing Disaster, IMO the worst attraction in the entire park, would be a blessing and Blues Brothers is not very popular I don't think. They should also officially separate Springfield from World Expo because as it stands Springfield is not recognized as its own land. To make things interesting they should get rid of Fear Factor and MIB (I love the ride, but it's just an idea) and make World Expo a more coherent themed land (maybe Nintendo land! lol). Or keep MIB and turn Fear Factor into a second Men in Black ride and make World Expo completely centered around MIB (I hate this idea but it's better than what they have now and I can never see them getting rid of MIB because of how popular it is... unless Universal wants to keep the concept and change the license).

Universal's making hand over fist on Daigon Alley alone. Springfield was a massive retouch that's very popular and Transformers was also huge for the Studios.

The realistic options are:

1) Replacing Marvel Super Hero Island. Disney apparently met with Universal this week about possibly retheming the Hulk ride and removing Dr Doom's Fearfall in accordance to a new deal. If Disney ponies up the billion in retheming a whole new land, it could be worth it to Universal to relinquish the license.

2) Replacing Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon has been the least popular "Island" in the park and there have been several possible retheming rumors from Lord of The Rings to Warcraft.

3) Replacing the Kidzone/Barney/ET attractions at the Studios. That whole area is quite old, ET being there since the park first opened. Included there is the former Hard Rock restaurant building and a large chunk of space, about a fourth of the park's worth.

What won't happen:

Replacing Jurassic Park. Kong is being built and Jurassic Park's rumored to being expanded a bit as Jurassic World.

Replacing The Lost Continent. That's pretty much extra space for Harry Potter if they need it.

All in all those are the most likely scenarios.

Phreak47

Thank you Patron!

But our princess is in another castle!

Fortunately, all the other castles take major credit cards too.

Bentendo

Universal's making hand over fist on Daigon Alley alone. Springfield was a massive retouch that's very popular and Transformers was also huge for the Studios.

The realistic options are:

1) Replacing Marvel Super Hero Island. Disney apparently met with Universal this week about possibly retheming the Hulk ride and removing Dr Doom's Fearfall in accordance to a new deal. If Disney ponies up the billion in retheming a whole new land, it could be worth it to Universal to relinquish the license.

2) Replacing Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon has been the least popular "Island" in the park and there have been several possible retheming rumors from Lord of The Rings to Warcraft.

3) Replacing the Kidzone/Barney/ET attractions at the Studios. That whole area is quite old, ET being there since the park first opened. Included there is the former Hard Rock restaurant building and a large chunk of space, about a fourth of the park's worth.

What won't happen:

Replacing Jurassic Park. Kong is being built and Jurassic Park's rumored to being expanded a bit as Jurassic World.

Replacing The Lost Continent. That's pretty much extra space for Harry Potter if they need it.

All in all those are the most likely scenarios.

Universal will have a hell of a time rebranding Toon Lagoon and Marvel Super Hero Land... but both are going to happen. I can only imagine WHERE Disney will put Marvel? I know the rumors of a rebranding of Tomorrowland are circulating, and the possibility of putting them... somewhere in Hollywood Studios exists (but where? especially with Star Wars being all but confirmed).

But yes, it's interesting that all this talk of Disney trying to gain the rights to Marvel back is happening around the same time that Universal announces their Nintendo partnership. Maybe Marvel Super Hero Land will be transitioned into Nintendo Land? I just personally find this unlikely for a few reasons. I like your idea of the kiddie-land rebrand the most.

EDIT: OH! and I agree that the additions to USO are huge but I still think there is still so much to be done at that park. With the rising attendance (and my God is it rising) they need to do a HELLUVA lot more than what they've done. Sounds like their plan of one major ride per year per park is a good start.

Lunar15

If there isn't a Metroid ride in the vein of the Men in Black: Alien Attack ride, I'll be pissed.

YES. YES. YES.

THIS WOULD MAKE SO MUCH SENSE.

I can see it now. The whole idea is that you're all a fresh batch of bounty hunters or federation troopers or something and you're sent into the depths of a planet to fight some space pirates, but while you're shooting space pirates and other aliens, you see samus lurking around. Eventually you run into Metroids, and Samus helps you out by shooting them with ice beams first. Finally, you have a climactic battle with Ridley and have to skedaddle on out of there with Samus before the planet blows up.

I want this so badly.

Also, my ideal F-Zero Big Blue coaster would involve two tracks set up right next to each other, so it creates the illusion of two cars racing. When you get to a drop, it screams "YOU'VE GOT BOOST POWER!" and when you near the end it goes "YEAH, THE FINAL LAP".

Toad.T

Banned
So what does Toon Lagoon actually have? A bunch of mismashed characters from the 40's,50's and 60's? From what I gathered, the other islands at Orlando at least have some pull (even Seuss, I'd assume is bringing in bucks.)

It seems the most likely to go, if they have to off something.

Top Bottom