• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky Fight Trailer Released, Taken down, up again VIA google cache.

Senoculum

Yup.

I am under the impression that you will never see anyone.

But it's not out of the realm of possible functionality. This is a game where you can hyperdrive to distant systems; it's conceivable that there's a resource to "transport" to other players. Or simply have a UI where you can create parties. Technically, a voice chat/party system is already built into the console, you totally should be able to invite a friend. Even if the creatures are instanced per player, I'd love to see my fiance so we can explore the universe together.

Further, what happens when you have thousands of players in the centre most systems?

Sadly, there's hundreds if conflicting reports on whether or not there's direct "co-op" play. I read that 8-10 players can join together, I read that there may be a PvP (don't care for it), and everything in between. There's social elements, sure, but Hello Games should just straight up give an answer... Their website explicitly states 'single player,' so I'm disappointed by that prospect.

bigDave

I wonder how people would take it if something fucked up majorly on launch. Say somehow, 500k people play at launch (this isnt unheard of, and I'm hoping it a whole lot more), and the algorithm screws up and puts us all near each other or something crazy like that.

Do you think they have simulated having 1m people log in at the same time???

it's not an MMO, the game doesn't load all players at the same time

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My (tiny) worry is that considering how unlikely people are to ever meet each other, how much time/effort will be put into any kind of robust multiplayer? How would that even be an efficient use of resources?

I don't think anyone is specifically saying it's a good trailer. These trailers aren't for us anyways. There are literally people in every nms thread that assume this is just flying to planets and landing and walking around.

I doubt any of the four trailers is going to be more than a 2 minute clip reel of stuff we already know.

I can't see these trailers winning over the "what do you do" and "walking simulator" folks. They show the same kind of gameplay every official trailer has already shown. So it seems like a bad marketing strategy. I've been following this game since the first reveal, I've watched pretty much every gameplay preview and interview there is, and we still know very little about the combat systems. And I want to know more!

But I guess at this point it doesn't really matter.

MaDKaT

But it's not out of the realm of possible functionality. This is a game where you can hyperdrive to distant systems; it's conceivable that there's a resource to "transport" to other players. Or simply have a UI where you can create parties. Technically, a voice chat/party system is already built into the console, you totally should be able to invite a friend. Even if the creatures are instanced per player, I'd love to see my fiance so we can explore the universe together.

Further, what happens when you have thousands of players in the centre most systems?

Sadly, there's hundreds if conflicting reports on whether or not there's direct "co-op" play. I read that 8-10 players can join together, I read that there may be a PvP (don't care for it), and everything in between. There's social elements, sure, but Hello Games should just straight up give an answer... Their website explicitly states 'single player,' so I'm disappointed by that prospect.

Out of curiosity what conflicting reports? From what Ive read from the dev is that it is 'Multi' only in that all players share the same universe. They mentioned it could be possible to meet up with someone if you can work out each others co-ordinates and try to find each other but there isn't a party system and for all intense and purposes it is a solo game.

King_Moc

Banned
My (tiny) worry is that considering how unlikely people are to ever meet each other, how much time/effort will be put into any kind of robust multiplayer? How would that even be an efficient use of resources?

Yeah, i can't imagine why they'd bother with netcode if it's as unlikely to meet someone as it sounds like it is. The number of planets (and the size of them) in it makes it sound to me like nobody is ever going to meet anyone else. Ever.

Reports from who? Different sites? You should only trust the dev's words on this, and everything they've said indicates that this is, for all intents and purposes, a single player game, a solo journey. If you're looking for games to team up with friends, do deathmatches, this isn't that kind of game

I mean even if you could set coordinates to meet friends, how would you travel the vast distances between each other?

I'm guessing the long distance hyper drivers would take a while to obtain..

Senoculum

Reports from who? Different sites? You should only trust the dev's words on this, and everything they've said indicates that this is, for all intents and purposes, a single player game, a solo journey. If you're looking for games to team up with friends, do deathmatches, this isn't that kind of game

Conflicting reports within the past couple of years, all of whom quoted the developers because almost everyone interpreted their words differently. They said, "it's not an MMO;" that's it's "inspired by Journey," that there's "open lobbies," that you can "communicate with players." They never explicitly stated, "no, you're not able to interact nor see other players." As its release looms, it's clearer and clearer that it's a solo game. Which is what I'm saying mannn, that sucks.

Conflicting reports within the past couple of years, all of whom quoted the developers because almost everyone interpreted their words differently. They said, "it's not an MMO;" that's it's "inspired by Journey," that there's "open lobbies," that you can "communicate with players." They never explicitly stated, "no, you're not able to interact nor see other players." As its release looms, it's clearer and clearer that it's a solo game. Which is what I'm saying mannn, that sucks.

I always have tried to think of this game from day 1 as scattering part of the human race across the edges of the Milky Way or sumthn, and we're all trying to get to the bright centre.

We can all see eah others discoveries but the chances we genuinely bump into one another on this journey are slim to none.

The only slightly confusing issue imo is the size of the open multiplayer lobby, not sure if it's 2-5 players.

CHC

I don't think they are really promising any kind of robust multiplayer mode, if anything it would probably be like Journey where you see someone and silently hang out for a little while.

I could definitely seeing multiplayer being something they patch in more support for, because it seems inevitable that people are going to want to explore that option a little bit more than I think the current feature set will support.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

There is no word of robust online, I mean the game is all about exploration right? So if (and most likely never) you are able to find a friend or another player the whole draw is to just continue to explore together until you no longer want to. At least for me that would be the draw.

Think Journey.

Carn82

Traveling to other systems takes resources. If you want to meet up with a friend, you might need to harvest enough resources and have to upgrade your hyper drive X amounts of time just to get there. It will be practically impossible (aka very time consuming) to meet up. And if you're getting close to the center of the galaxy that might become easier but you're still talking about possibly millions of systems who are closest to the center.

telasoman

[Agent]ZeroNine;210856062 said:
The center of the universe is a multiplayer lobby
#believe

I'm sure it will be something along these lines. Sean just doesnt want to spoil the surprise for everyone. If Hello Games truly didn't want people interacting in anyway they wouldnt even allow people to see each other or bring it.

This game doesn't have robust multiplayer. It was never supposed to.

Unless you mean the hypothetical future addition of MP, in which case...I don't know. I assume they won't do it until they can come up with a good way to make it work.

adversarial

This game doesn't have robust multiplayer. It was never supposed to.

Unless you mean the hypothetical future addition of MP, in which case...I don't know. I assume they won't do it until they can come up with a good way to make it work.

If ever implemented, I'd be interested (sociologically speaking, I guess) how players would interact with each other. If the increasing rarity of seeing someone else would make people either be friendlier, or even more hostile.

RiverKwai

I can't see these trailers winning over the "what do you do" and "walking simulator" folks. They show the same kind of gameplay every official trailer has already shown. So it seems like a bad marketing strategy. I've been following this game since the first reveal, I've watched pretty much every gameplay preview and interview there is, and we still know very little about the combat systems. And I want to know more!

But I guess at this point it doesn't really matter.

I agree it's not going to win anyone over. They are essentially trailers for nobody. But there's still a few nuggets to mine in there if you're looking. I mean, the fight trailer showed us a ship weapon we'd never seen before. Hud elements we'd never seen before, etc.

RedSwirl

Whether or not combat is a central point of the game depends on whether you make it one. That's how it is for these "Fight, Trade, Explore" space games, including Elite.

You basically determine what your "job" is going to be -- how you plan to make money. Explorers chart things and sell the information for money which they then use to upgrade their gear and ships to let them do more exploring. Pirates rob traders and use the proceeds to make their gear and ships more dangerous. Bounty hunters do the same thing but by killing pirates. Miners harvest resources, sell them, then use the money to get better mining stuff. Traders buy and sell goods along trading routes and use the profits to get better trading gear/ships.

The catch is that space games usually end up doing one or a couple things better than the others. Elite Dangerous is probably going to end up having better ship combat than NMS, but exploring in that game is a very one-note process, and NMS is probably going to have far superior exploration.

So, basically, we'll never reach the center of the galaxy and we'll never see another player.

I hope the gameplay is diverse enough to keep everyone entertained knowing there is no apparent end game or ending to speak of.

We're pretty much just going to keep doing the same things until we get bored of them, right? Scanning, uploading, crafting, trading, mining and shooting at the bad things.

Will there be some sort of Phase 2 or Phase 3 to the gameplay that will make things seem somewhat progressive or at least different along the way? An intergalactic event that we can all take part in, even if we'll never be near enough to see each other?

This is my largest concern with NMS - that we'll just get bored of the game after a short while because there is nothing to look forward to but variations of the same things.

That nobody will care about the center of the galaxy or seeing another player because it's astronomically impossible to do so. Then it becomes, "Why bother going on? There's a new hyped game coming out soon that all the cool kids are pre-ordering...?"

I hope they built in some sort of addictiveness that keeps people wanting to play, despite there not being any real end in sight. How long before the new planets we find start looking like all the other planets we've found? And can we make any meaningful or permanent changes to the small slice of galaxy we're playing in to make it feel like we've made an impact of some sort?

These are my questions.

Still, I'm buying the game, so I have only myself to blame if it's less than stellar.

MaDKaT

So, basically, we'll never reach the center of the galaxy and we'll never see another player.

I hope the gameplay is diverse enough to keep everyone entertained knowing there is no apparent end game or ending to speak of.

We're pretty much just going to keep doing the same things until we get bored of them, right? Scanning, uploading, crafting, trading, mining and shooting at the bad things.

Will there be some sort of Phase 2 or Phase 3 to the gameplay that will make things seem somewhat progressive or at least different along the way? An intergalactic event that we can all take part in, even if we'll never be near enough to see each other?

This is my largest concern with NMS - that we'll just get bored of the game after a short while because there is nothing to look forward to but variations of the same things.

That nobody will care about the center of the galaxy or seeing another player because it's astronomically impossible to do so. Then it becomes, "Why bother going on? There's a new hyped game coming out soon that all the cool kids are pre-ordering...?"

I hope they built in some sort of addictiveness that keeps people wanting to play, despite there not being any real end in sight. How long before the new planets we find start looking like all the other planets we've found? And can we make any meaningful or permanent changes to the small slice of galaxy we're playing in to make it feel like we've made an impact of some sort?

These are my questions.

Still, I'm buying the game, so I have only myself to blame if it's less than stellar.

What? The center is the goal.

These are my questions.

This is basically what we're all hoping for, and really what anyone can hope for in a survival/exploration game in general.

The goal of reaching the center of the galaxy/universe is not an insurmountable goal though, it's something Sean Murray's mentioned might take 40-100 hours to achieve, so let's say it's basically between the average durations of something like Dark Souls and a Bethesda RPG. I think people have certain misconceptions about this game because of the physical size of its universe and its open-ended nature. You can technically play it forever (same as a lot of rogue-lites), but the "main goal" has a more traditional play time and the basic idea is that the game has an interesting enough progression system to keep you hooked. How interesting it is we don't know, but here's hoping.

Notes from Reddit comments.

So it wasn’t really until about two weeks ago, when No Man’s Sky was I guess “finished,” it was the day after that we actually got to play for about six hours, and that was just amazing. It was amazing. Because you know, we’ve been waiting for this just the same as everybody else, and well I’m certainly willing to say that it is so good. It’s really good.
And I understand that there’s maybe this confusion out there about what you actually have to do in the game, but it’s great and I don’t think people are going to be disappointed.

They talk about adding new music to the game in the future.

The guy played for 6 hours and visited 3 planets.

I think I may finally be at the point where I dread No Man's Sky threads in the same way I dread David Cage threads.

Just something about this game gets people really, really fucking angry. Nobody seems to understand anybody else's excitement or disinterest in the game, so the threads devolve into bickering about the most unimportant of nitpicks.

If the game doesn't interest you, it doesn't interest you. If the game interests you, it interests you. I've mentioned it in another thread, but when I was a kid (this would be in the 80's), I used to imagine a game where you could start on one planet, look up, and see another planet in the sky, then hop in your spaceship and fly to that other planet and explore. In my head, the game had like, maybe four or five planets that were massive, and you could just wander around and find weird creatures and ruins. I'd dream about that game. Talk about it with friends, and we'd have a great time imaging what a game like that could be like.

Fast forward, quite literally, thirty years. I'm 37 years old, and now a game like No Man's Sky exists. But instead of four or five massive planets I can visit in my starship, there are 18 QUINTILLION of them. More than I'll ever be able to visit in my lifetime. Some of them will be full of strange creatures and ruins. 7 year old me could only dream of this. 37 year old me, in just three short weeks, will actually be able to live it.

That's why I'm excited for No Man's Sky. That's why I don't give a flying fuck if there's aliasing, or pop in, or floaty combat, or arcadey ship controls. It's why I don't care that there aren't a thousand different jack of all trades, master of none gameplay mechanics, or a radiant quest system, or deep RPG mechanics, or cinematic cutscenes, or carefully designed set pieces. There are hundreds of games that do just that. There isn't a single game like No Man's Sky. If there was, I'd be playing it right now. So no, it may not be the game for you, and that's fine. But it sure as fuck is the game for me.
Well said.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
No Man's Sky is a single player game for me. That's always been my assumption and expectation, from the very first trailer, when they only showed a solo player exploring planets and then taking off into space.

Never once did I imagine it had a multiplayer component. I thought, "It'd be cool if you could team up with someone," but after the many, many interviews with Sean Murray in which he explained that the game was single player, but existed in a shared universe, where people were basically exploring the same vast universe, but would unlikely encounter one another another during their journeys, I just looked at the game a single player experience.

It's definitely possible for players to meet up given they put in the immense effort to do so, but it's not a natural mechanic of the game. If it was, there would have been videos highlighting it. "Cooperative Experience" would have probably been one of the four gameplay pillars instead of "Explore, Fight, Trade, and Survive."

Go back and watch the very first trailer of the game, and then watch the latest trailer(s). The game has been what it is since day one. Outside of the inevitable polish and refining, that debut trailer of No Man's Sky pretty much highlighted the game. I don't begrudge the people that want to play No Man's Sky multiplayer, but after three years, this was a known factor of the game that it wouldn't have lobby systems, jump in, jump out co-op, or the ability to pair up with a friend instantly and explore the galaxy. I 100% understand wanting that, but this game doesn't have it. You just have to make your peace with it, or tweet to Sean Murray and Hello Games that it's a feature you'd like to see them implement in the future until they give a hard answer that it's not going to happen. In the meantime, the game is what it is.

I'd be interested in seeing if two people actually bother trying to find their friends, but I imagine many that try will get bored of the attempt after a few weeks.

Karak

I'd be interested in seeing if two people actually bother trying to find their friends, but I imagine many that try will get bored of the attempt after a few weeks.

There are entire websites already set up for starting this with active forums and groups and entire twitch groups who are planning to attempt it from day 0 moment 1.
As for getting tired. Sure. People get fucking tired putting on boxer shorts.

I don't see why people who really want to meet up would give up, unless they just got bored of the game altogether. I mean, meeting up with your friend would just involve playing the game mostly normally, but just trying to progress to the same general area.

Karak

I bet he didn't even leave the starting system

LOL. There is a story about one dev flying away from then accidentally landing back on the same damn planet lol. Assuming that was early before you named them automatically. But cracked me up.

6 hour and 3 planets line up with Sean said. It'll take 2-3 hours to get off your starting planet and then 2-3 hours to leave yor starting system

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
There are entire websites already set up for starting this with active forums and groups and entire twitch groups who are planning to attempt it from day 0 moment 1.
As for getting tired. Sure. People get fucking tired putting on boxer shorts.

I don't see why people who really want to meet up would give up, unless they just got bored of the game altogether. I mean, meeting up with your friend would just involve playing the game mostly normally, but just trying to progress to the same general area.

Even with all of the preparation and planning, this game is immense. Like, really, really fucking huge. I don't think people are really going to understand how gargantuan of a task this is going to be until they are actually inside the game, on a planet, and they realize that when they pull out to the galaxy map, there are literally billions and billions of stars between them and their friend.

We don't know how the tracking system works in this game. That is to say, do we know the relationship between the star system you're currently in, the star system your friend is currently in, and how you'd chart a course to each other's star system. Is there an overall galaxy map that will say, "You are in Novigraad, your friend is in Skellige, and this how far away they are from one another?" I can't say that kind of map isn't in the game, but I can't say it is either. I feel like the confident, "We'll organize a meetup group," is going to be easier said than done.

This game doesn't appear to have a system like in The Witcher, where you can just drop a marker on the map, and then follow the dotted line to that marker. There is a line pointing towards the center of the universe, and a line pointing towards the nearby star systems you can reach with your current hyperdrive given sufficient fuel. No one is saying people can't meet up with each other, just that it's not going to be easy, and I doubt people are going to be pulling it off a week or two after release.

Again, you can tell your friend, "I'm in the Hoth system," and he can tell you, "Well, I'm in the Dagobah system," but without knowing where those two systems are in relation to one another, it's not really going to help you much. I'd need to know if there is a general universe map, that shows you EVERY star in the entire game (like the World Map in the Witcher 3), or if you're map is only going to show your immediate location. The videos we've seen have had Sean using a debug build that let him pull further and further out of the galaxy and immediately select another star to reach. But that's a debug build. I'm not trying to shit in anybody's cereal, because I really want to see two players meet one another, because I more than likely never will, but I think the realities of the scale of the universe in the game is going to shock people when they can experience it first hand.

EDIT: I also wonder, if there is a universe map, if you can highlight the different stars and see the system names. You know that video where Sean pulls out and shows all of the stars, can you select one and see their data? Is the universe split into quandrants that you can identify? It'll be a lot easier to find a friend if the map can tell you, "You are in the Alpha Quadrant, and your friend is in the Beta Quadrant," and you can see where those quadrants are. Then you could chart a course for the Beta Quadrant, and then narrow the star systems down bit by bit until you reach the same system, then narrow it down more until you reach the same planet/space station, and ideally meet up.

Notes from Reddit comments.

They talk about adding new music to the game in the future.

The guy played for 6 hours and visited 3 planets.

He spent 6 hours on only 3 planets? I was actually worried most planets would get boring rather quickly due to the 90/10/1 rule but 2 hours per planet is a decent amount of time and I doubt there was interesting life on each of them.

Karak

Even with all of the preparation and planning, this game is immense. Like, really, really fucking huge. I don't think people are really going to understand how gargantuan of a task this is going to be until they are actually inside the game, on a planet, and they realize that when they pull out to the galaxy map, there are literally billions and billions of stars between them and their friend.

We don't know how the tracking system works in this game. That is to say, do we know the relationship between the star system you're currently in, the star system your friend is currently in, and how you'd chart a course to each other's star system. Is there an overall galaxy map that will say, "You are in Novigraad, your friend is in Skellige, and this how far away they are from one another?" I can't say that kind of map isn't in the game, but I can't say it is either. I feel like the confident, "We'll organize a meetup group," is going to be easier said than done.

This game doesn't appear to have a system like in The Witcher, where you can just drop a marker on the map, and then follow the dotted line to that marker. There is a line pointing towards the center of the universe, and a line pointing towards the nearby star systems you can reach with your current hyperdrive given sufficient fuel. No one is saying people can't meet up with each other, just that it's not going to be easy, and I doubt people are going to be pulling it off a week or two after release.

Again, you can tell your friend, "I'm in the Hoth system," and he can tell you, "Well, I'm in the Dagobah system," but without knowing where those two systems are in relation to one another, it's not really going to help you much. I'd need to know if there is a general universe map, that shows you EVERY star in the entire game (like the World Map in the Witcher 3), or if you're map is only going to show your immediate location. The videos we've seen have had Sean using a debug build that let him pull further and further out of the galaxy and immediately select another star to reach. But that's a debug build. I'm not trying to shit in anybody's cereal, because I really want to see two players meet one another, because I more than likely never will, but I think the realities of the scale of the universe in the game is going to shock people when they can experience it first hand.
Not sure why you quoted me with that wall. But...k.
He spent 6 hours on only 3 planets? I was actually worried most planets would get boring rather quickly due to the 90/10/1 rule but 2 hours per planet is a decent amount of time and I doubt there was interesting life on each of them.

First area maybe has more biospheres right away since it is indeed habitable anyway. Maybe a bit of stretch to start you out? Get your juices flowing with some walk around.

IGN's preview from April was pretty good. The writer spent two hours with the game
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/13/how-i-spent-two-hours-in-no-mans-sky-ign-first
No Man’s Sky is a survival game. Yes, you can shoot stuff. You can prospect and raid for fun and profit, or make your money exploring and surveying the vast expanses of space. But survival elements like resource gathering, resource management, and crafting are the constants that bind everything together.
This perpetual need for resources drives the minute-to-minute of No Man’s Sky more than any other element. You start to learn unspoken rules about where you’ll find what. Planets of a certain biome type, or distance from its sun will be more likely to have this element or that one, so you trek from one planet to another, mining asteroids along the way.
From the hill’s peak I look down into a verdant valley filled with grazing animals of all sizes, most of which defy description. It’s a Jurassic Park moment. A small flock of leather-winged creatures fly overhead, casting a shadow on a group of human-sized six-legged lizards. Not far from them, a pair of beasts that look mildly triceratops-like plod forth, indifferent to everything around them.
Besides, I’ve got an ocean to explore.
And what an ocean it was. Teeming with exotic creatures and plants that looked like nothing if not alien, I was at a loss to even choose where to begin. I dove as deep as I could and just picked a direction, scanning every other-worldly fish I could along the way.
The bundle of blips that pop up on my hud are color-coded to indicate what kind of resources they’re leading me to, a luxury of the particular scanning suite I have installed on my weapon. I follow them to some jettisoned supply containers and space debris at the far end of the valley, where I start picking through them.
It’s here where I start taking more notice of No Man’s Sky’s flight model. I was happy to find that pitch, yaw, and roll were all controllable, though roll was oddly mapped to the L1 and R1 buttons so that the right analog could be used to aim guns independently within an arc in front of my ship. It took some adjustment, but it wasn’t long until I was able to pull banks and immelman turns much like I would in any other space flight game
What I’ve written here is just the CliffsNotes version though. There was an in-atmosphere dog-fight that ended poorly, there was the time I blew open a building I wasn’t supposed to be in, and another time when I spent a cold, harsh night evading deadly predatory animals. Survival really is the beating heart of this gorgeous, enigmatic beast.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Not sure why you quoted me with that wall. But...k.

First area maybe has more biospheres right away since it is indeed habitable anyway. Maybe a bit of stretch to start you out? Get your juices flowing with some walk around.

It's not that hard. You mentioned that there were communities of people on the net planning to meet up. My comment was explaining how that may be easier said than done. Hence, the quote. Boom. Not confusing at all!

It wasn't an attack on your comment, it was initiating a conversation.

Though you're forgetting that you can see your friends location on the galactic map. All they have to do is head towards each other and they'll meet up, and depending on how far away they are from each other, it would take varying amounts of time, but not anywhere near impossible. Then just meet at the same star system and go to its space station. A lot of people don't understand just how big the galaxy they start off in will be, but regardless, I think it's easy enough to just travel to your friend's general direction that it shouldn't be something worth giving up on unless you just get bored of the game, or you reaaallly want to see what's at the center.

Karak

It's not that hard. You mentioned that there were communities of people on the net planning to meet up. My comment was explaining how that may be easier said than done. Hence, the quote. Boom. Not confusing at all!

Never said it was but you seem to be pretending I did. Probably should calm down. You seem highly emotional for discussion about a game. No need to get so out of sorts.
Though you're forgetting that you can see your friends location on the galactic map. All they have to do is head towards each other and they'll meet up, and depending on how far away they are from each other, it would take varying amounts of time, but not anywhere near impossible. Then just meet at the same star system and go to its space station.

True enough.
As an Xbox player primarily, this is defo the game that's going to get me to play on my PS4. Looks great.

Or PC. If your PC can handle it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Never said it was but you seem to be pretending I did. Probably should calm down. You seem highly emotional for discussion about a game. No need to get so out of sorts.

You said you weren't sure why I quoted you. I explained why I quoted you.

Though you're forgetting that you can see your friends location on the galactic map. All they have to do is head towards each other and they'll meet up, and depending on how far away they are from each other, it would take varying amounts of time, but not anywhere near impossible. Then just meet at the same star system and go to its space station. A lot of people don't understand just how big the galaxy they start off in will be, but regardless, I think it's easy enough to just travel to your friend's general direction that it shouldn't be something worth giving up on unless you just get bored of the game, or you reaaallly want to see what's at the center.

That's true. I remember them mentioning about being able to see your friends on the galactic map, but I'm unsure of how deep/complex that's going to be. I'm also not sure how far you're going to be able to pull out of the galactic map in general. Will it be just a local view, or a world view? World view takes on a different meaning when you're talking about a galaxy or universe or whatever. But yeah, I never said it was impossible to meet up. Just that people are probably underestimating how much time it's actually going to take to do so, and other potential roadblocks like how the map is going to be displayed and what information is going to be displayed.

Every time we've seen the galaxy map, it's just been a mass of stars in three dimensional space, which could probably get really confusing if there aren't different ways to chart your course (like place markers that will keep track of where you are and your friends are at in relation to one another).

Karak

Why? It's basically a blow-by-blow account of his time with the game, not a critical assessment.

Which is even more open to the inaccuracies their reporting has shown in the past. Not always but enough that I have now found myself untrusting of their descriptions of events in games and what lens they are seeing them through.
I would wait for others for example to tell me if the yaw and pitch felt accurate, control felt good, if it had Jurassic park moments, if it was a survival game, or if they just felt that way in their small amount of time. Most likely someone will which is great.

People are really obsessing over finding other players in the universe, but like others have said I don't think they truly grasp how many planets will be in this game. I mean they can try all they want, but I won't be paying any attention to what's happening. I pre-ordered the game on GOG so that I could play it offline, therefore I will for sure never meet any other players in my galaxy.

Karak

People are really obsessing over finding other players in the universe, but like others have said I don't think they truly grasp how many planets will be in this game. I mean they can try all they want, but I won't be paying any attention to what's happening. I pre-ordered the game on GOG so that I could play it offline, therefore I will for sure never meet any other players in my galaxy.

LOL. Thats the spirit!
Actually I know a number of peeps who will play it off as well.

Which is even more open to the inaccuracies their reporting has shown in the past. Not always but enough that I have now found myself untrusting of their descriptions of events in games.
I would wait for others for example to tell me if the yaw and pitch felt accurate, if it had jurrasic park moments, if it was a survival game or if they just felt that way in their small amount of time.
Most hands-on echoed the survival game aspect. More than a few compared it to The Long Dark. One writer said how the game was beginning to feel dull but then he discovered this weird alien creature that made his time with the game feel satisfying

Karak

Most hands-on echoed the survival game aspect. More than a few compared it to The Long Dark. One writer said howthe game was beginning to feel dull but then he discovered this weird alien creature that made his time with the game feel satisfying

And thus you have your answer. Waiting for others thats good news most likely.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's going to be really cool when two players or more actually meet up. It's going to be an event. I just think it's going to be a while before that happens. I would be genuinely shocked if people meet up within a month of release.

Each of those stars on the galaxy map isn't a planet. It's a frigging star. Each with their own planets, and we don't know how many planets are going to be in a single system. That's insane to me. There's 18 quintillion planets, but they haven't said how many stars. trillions, I guess? I have no idea. It's immense. In either case, we have three weeks left before we get our answers.

Top Bottom