• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (PSX)

geomon

0c97a92ccffc70133e490c3e064f8f311d049ba51b88af152c5997db5e79f3a6.jpg

So all the people who said this would be all about gameplay - Again, it wasn't. The whole cynicism regarding what you actually do in this game is pretty well founded, especially if you guys think this game will be out in 2015. So far, this is a tech demo. A very cool one. But there's no game there, yet.

Night Under No Man's Sky is when the "actual" gameplay is supposed happen.

Don't get it wrong. Most people don't have an issue with people wanting to see gameplay or skepticism in general. It's when people skip/ignore/don't see the info that is posted and continue to flood other NMS threads posting "what are you supposed to do in this game but explore" etc.

JayEH

I don't care what they've said in interviews and in the game informer article. They need to show the game.

I dislike how everything is so close together. I get the whole "sci-fi book covers" explanation from the GI video but going from the space station to the surface took all of like 10 seconds

The game looks very crowded

KOHIPEET

I kinda think they should remove the galaxy map. It looks cool, but for me it takes away the joy of pure discovery. I want to discover by "if you see it you can fly to it" method.

But everything else looks fantastic.

supergiz

I just found the answer to my question a page back. It's tonight at 9pm PST. For all you other east coasters it's going to be a long night.

They showed the game.

Ok now we're going to go in circles if we do this. He wants to see footage that shows off more clearly what this game is like rather than just the flying around that the trailers usually show. That's fair.

I kinda think they should remove the galaxy map. It looks cool, but for me it takes away the joy of pure discovery. I want to discover by "if you see it you can fly to it" method.

But everything else looks fantastic.

You can can still fly manually.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm sorry, I can't take another thread with the same questions

lol

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know where these people come from. Every single thread someone asks the same questions. How can they not know by now?

It is the same with The Order. I noticed someone asked in the PSX thread why the game is in letterbox. lol

Nokterian

Yes, but they're essentially showing the same thing over and over again. Get in ship and go to another planet.

I want to see what they've been talking about in the interviews.

No clearly your missing the point. They showed now for the first time the galaxy map. A docking station,a station on a planet with different ships and currency.

There showing small new pieces of things and a lot are not seeing it.

SpyGuy239

GAF which 65daysofstatic song is playing in the trailer?

I need to run it on an Endless loop now.

This band is going to blow up now that they're in one of the most innovative games of all time!

The only nitpick I've got is the level of detail pop-in. I hope that's something they can work on or something that can be improved upon in the PC verison.

jbartee

Does anyone know if A Night Under No Man's Sky is going to be live streamed? if so where... the playstation twitch channel?

Zomba13

They've actually been showing more and more features in each trailer. The (finished?) HUD, portal travel, warp travel, landing bases, picking up a new ship. At this point it seems like people want more detailed gameplay though.

I do think if they want to keep showing new trailers at this pace, it would be good to go small rather than keep going big because as you said the trailers are all following a similar planet hopping approach.

Eventually they will show combat on foot against the robots with guns and pew pew pew and people will still be asking "but whats the game? What do you do? Do you just walk and shoot stuff? Who finds this fun!?"

Ok now we're going to go in circles if we do this. He wants to see footage that shows off more clearly what this game is like rather than just the flying around that the trailers usually show. That's fair.

That is the game though.

What exactly do people want to see? You've seen exploration, you've seen the outposts, you've seen the robots, you've seen the varied and weird creatures, you've seen some of the unique stuff that can be found on some planets like portals, you've seen the galaxy map, you've seen scanning, you've seen warp drive.

There's nothing left to see.

braves01

Banned
I think it's time for a decent length trailer where they land on a planet and stay there for the whole trailer doing stuff outside a ship.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
yes there is a lot to explore

That's quite an understatement.

But to be fair, the rest of your statement still stands. They are revealing very little of the actual gameplay in any of these trailers.

Exploration is all good and well, and I'm truly hyped by the possibilities, but I am ready to see some gameplay details. If people aren't hyped about the vastness of the gamespace by now, then they never will be. I feel like anyone who cares how big the game is are probably already excited enough about that aspect even before this trailer.

Personally I'm all for an exploration-centric game but I need to know what goals will be put in front of me as a reason to explore.

Phlebas

Banned
Eventually they will show combat on foot against the robots with guns and pew pew pew and people will still be asking "but whats the game? What do you do? Do you just walk and shoot stuff? Who finds this fun!?"

That's quite an understatement.

But to be fair, the rest of your statement still stands. They are revealing very little of the actual gameplay in any of these trailers.

Exploration is all good and well, and I'm truly hyped by the possibilities, but I am ready to see some gameplay details. If people aren't hyped about the vastness of the gamespace by now, then they never will be. I feel like anyone who cares how big the game is are probably already excited enough about that aspect even before this trailer.

Personally I'm all for an exploration-centric game but I need to know what goals will be put in front of me as a reason to explore.

Are you reading the thread? Jesus Christ.

Zomba13

That is the game though.

What exactly do people want to see? You've seen exploration, you've seen the outposts, you've seen the robots, you've seen the varied and weird creatures, you've seen some of the unique stuff that can be found on some planets like portals, you've seen the galaxy map, you've seen scanning, you've seen warp drive.

They want to see the same shit that is in hundreds of other videogames. The shooting, violence, the bar filling up and going ding, the grind for things. They don't want to see unique and inventive use of procedural generation or a game that lets you play how you want.

Dylan

That is the game though.

The EVE commercial last night did it best. The game could arguably be described as staring at a spreadsheet, but the commercial successfully communicated why the game is fun, exciting, and most importantly, why people are actually playing it.

That is the game though.

There's a bit more they've revealed that they haven't really shown off much of. What mining is actually like, ground combat, the upgrade system, what you can do exactly with some of the resources. I personally don't feel like a NEED to see this stuff asap like some others do, but I can see why they'd want to.

Game looks amazing. Still looking for things to actually do in the game besides explore and fly ships. I'd love to see some hunting and gathering aspects into the game, but since this is an indie game from the guys who made Joe Danger, that'll probably never happen.

cggreene

Neo Member
I'm really excited for this, I just hope it doesn't get delayed and delayed. It'd be great f it came out next year

tekrapid

Neo Member
If all this game is is just exploring undiscovered planets and gathering resources to buy better ships to get to the centre of the universe then sign me the hell up. Not every game needs to have a clear goal or defined story. Just give me a ship and a universe of stars and i'm there.

Zomba13

The EVE commercial last night did it best. The game could arguably be described as staring at a spreadsheet, but the commercial successfully communicated why the game is fun, exciting, and most importantly, why people are actually playing it.

But it just showed space ships and space and a rock and a guy looking at a menu. I mean, yeah good for you but when are you going to show gameplay?

BouncyFrag

When the galaxy map kept zooming out further and further. :)
I can't wait to go exploring.
My eyes only kept opening wider at that point. Shit will get real when random people I don't know will visit a planet discovered by BouncyFrag. I'm thinking a NMS GAF community thread will be a blast sharing what we have discovered.

geomon

If all this game is is just exploring undiscovered planets and gathering resources to buy better ships to get to the centre of the universe then sign me the hell up. Not every game needs to have a clear goal or defined story. Just give me a ship and a universe of stars and i'm there.

Same here. Also, saying outloud, "Engaging warp engines" before actually warping is going to be a common thing for me. This game tickles all of my inner space geek parts.

Dylan

But it just showed space ships and space and a rock and a guy looking at a menu. I mean, yeah good for you but when are you going to show gameplay?

There's a difference between "here's how the game looks as it's played" and "Here's a demonstration showing why you want to fly around, here's why you want to land, here's a few reasons why it matters that this planet is purple and this one's red. Here's what happens when you are successful and here's what can go wrong."

commissar

That info dump on page 1 should be edited in the OP, cause man those trailers tell you nothing if you're not following the game closely.

It's funny how people write off the groundbreaking stuff they've shown in this trailer (things you never see in games) and want to see the same tired shit every other game does.

You'll get your pew pew trailer soon.

geomon

My eyes only kept opening wider at that point. Shit will get real when random people I don't know will visit a planet discovered by BouncyFrag. I'm thinking a NMS GAF community thread will be a blast sharing what we have discovered.

Players should be allowed to name newly discovered planets.

jond76

Banned
One thing I do wonder is if there will be large cities generated, abandoned or otherwise. Or will it all be just small outposts. I just think it would be cool to discover a long dead city of an ancient civilization.

Saty

ZzzZzzZzz.

Love the concept, but please. It feels like i've seen the same trailer for the game 5 times already. Why don't they give it a 15 minute gameplay demonstration? Trailers are a bad fit for this title.

Top Bottom