• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (PSX)

Those are procedural.

Bullshit.

What do we classify as procedural now? Those are models built by an artist, just placed by an algorithm within a procedural world. That's nothing.

Honestly, if any of you think that you'll see actual gameplay (meaning, the stuff they're TALKING about that they've never shown) at another event that happens later tonight, you're delusional.

I'm sorry, but the Molyneux is strong with this game. I'm kinda annoyed when devs go out and talk the talk, but don't end up walking the walk. At some point, all the blabla simply turns to lies.

If they're making a 'Space Proteus' then they should be open about it and say just that. But they leave people in their believes about this being anything like Minecraft, etc. - and they MIGHT want to do that, but it's one thing to create algorithms that create procedural worlds (Honestly, every professional studio should know how to build this stuff and ship a similar prototype within a few weeks), but it's a WHOLE OTHER THING to actually create a game around it. And that's why people aren't buying it - they talk the talk, they don't walk the walk.

hawk2025

Bullshit.

What do we classify as procedural now? Those are models built by an artist, just placed by an algorithm within a procedural world. That's nothing.

Honestly, if any of you think that you'll see actual gameplay (meaning, the stuff they're TALKING about that they've never shown) at another event that happens later tonight, you're delusional.

I'm sorry, but the Molyneux is strong with this game. I'm kinda annoyed when devs go out and talk the talk, but don't end up walking the walk. At some point, all the blabla simply turns to lies.

If they're making a 'Space Proteus' then they should be open about it and say just that. But they leave people in their believes about this being anything like Minecraft, etc. - and they MIGHT want to do that, but it's one thing to create algorithms that create procedural worlds (Honestly, every professional studio should know how to build this stuff and ship a similar prototype within a few weeks), but it's a WHOLE OTHER THING to actually create a game around it. And that's why people aren't buying it - they talk the talk, they don't walk the walk.

lol

Vire

This is like literally the fifth trailer of the player taking off into space, landing and walking slowly around a planet.

My enthusiasm for this game is slowly waning.

65daysofstatic remains awesome.

rexor0717

With all they've shown, I am becoming worried about the state of the non-exploratory stuff. They haven't shown anything but flying around. They've barely shown any actual interaction with the worlds you land on. I've read the posts about what it "will be" but they haven't actually shown anything yet.

bj00rn_

Banned
Shortcuts the arcade game.. Inches "thick" planet atmosphere, nonsensical star map, and that fog-in, etc.. I'm just saying that with this trailer I'm kinda fed up, and I think I finally got the confirmation I would've like to have had from the developer months ago.. They could've just straight out told people this is a 100% arcade game with no science in "science-fiction" (don't need it to be completly realistic, but just a tiny bit would at least help..). Instead we've got round after round with techno-babble beating around the bush. I wish the developer good fortune though, and I'm happy for all people who I'm sure are going to enjoy it.

This is like literally the fifth trailer of the player taking off into space, landing and walking slowly around a planet.

My enthusiasm for this game is slowly waning.

65daysofstatic remains awesome.

I'm hyped for the game due to all the info I've read, but for people who aren't following it closely and only seeing the trailers I can see why they'd be disappointed.

Though tonight there's supposed to be an in-depth look at actual gameplay and more info.

Bullshit.

wat. Actually I don't know for sure if those are actually procedural. I got it mixed up. Not like it'd be any much different than the process that makes everything else procedural though.

Edit: I mean really. We've seen the procedural ships, animals, and procedural outposts are where you draw the line? Lol

There's a bit more they've revealed that they haven't really shown off much of. What mining is actually like, ground combat, the upgrade system, what you can do exactly with some of the resources. I personally don't feel like a NEED to see this stuff asap like some others do, but I can see why they'd want to.

We've seen a little of mining/resource gathering. (it's only a small glimpse, mind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1cCg47rJc)

The upgrade system and ground combat are probably like that we see in lots of other games.

We've seen the most important aspects of the game, I really don't understand why people keep saying let's see the game. That's all there is.

If you don't like what you see, the game clearly isn't for you and while I'm not one to tell people want to do, if I see game I don't like, I usually stop following it in favour of games that do appeal to me and my tastes.

Zomba13

Bullshit.

Do you really think that the hard part of all this is to have a game where you go from place to place and collect/see/scan things that increase a value which can be used to increase other values that are constant with the player character with an endstate located at a point in the game universe classified as "the centre"? That it's so hard to have a game where you get a gun and can shoot at things?

they are showing off their procedural universe because they are proud of it and people like seeing it. Yeah, artists make the individual assets (like a dog body, head horns, etc) but the game generates the combination and size of them and they are happy with that. Same with the planets being different. Yeah, they made the textures and models used but the game places and picks and chooses them based on the algorithm. They want to show that off because not many games do that and not on the scale this one does. If they did show the pewpewpew gameplay people would bash on it for being another shooter with no substance and nothing original. They are leading with their strongest aspect, the thing unique to them and not in every other game.

Creating a terrain generator is one of the things you learn early on when you get into programming for 3d. The really difficult stuff in terms of procedural generation isn't in their game, which Murray pointed out nicely in the 30 minute preview.

I bet my ass that if I'd sit our guys down we'd have similar core tech worked out within a few weeks, doing the same thing as what you see in their videos. It might not look as snazzy, but that's just a matter of pouring resources into it.

This is the kinda stuff that doesn't take you much time in development. Creating an actual game does. And I think it's very understandable that people are annoyed about it at this point.

Pimpbaa

I absolutely love everything I have seen and read about this game. Looking forward to this more than any other game. I just hope they ain't forced to put in some story just to sastify those that don't see the point of this game.

Seiru

Banned
Those planets seem like they're maybe 1/100th the size of the moon?

If they're going to make everything procedural anyways, why not make the planets as big as planets?

We've seen a little of mining/resource gathering. (it's only a small glimpse, mind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1cCg47rJc)

The upgrade system and ground combat are probably like that we see in lots of other games.

We've seen the most important aspects of the game, I really don't understand why people keep saying let's see the game. That's all there is.

If you don't like what you see, the game clearly isn't for you and while I'm not one to tell people want to do, if I see game I don't like, I usually stop following it in favour of games that do appeal to me and my tastes.

Yeah I know about that. I'm just saying, I see where others are coming from with this.

ZzzZzzZzz.

Love the concept, but please. It feels like i've seen the same trailer for the game 5 times already. Why don't they give it a 15 minute gameplay demonstration? Trailers are a bad fit for this title.
They will be doing live gameplay or something later on today

Raist

Banned
I bet my ass that if I'd sit our guys down we'd have similar core tech worked out within a few weeks, doing the same thing as what you see in their videos. It might not look as snazzy, but that's just a matter of pouring resources into it.

Go for it. You have until new year's with your choice of 3 other of "your guys".
Can't wait to see your footage.

Gaz_RB

It seriously blows my mind that people don't understand how people could possibly be hyped about an effectively infinite galaxy to explore.

geomon

i3Y126yfWAJAR.gif

Creating a terrain generator is one of the things you learn early on when you get into programming for 3d. The really difficult stuff in terms of procedural generation isn't in their game, which Murray pointed out nicely in the 30 minute preview.

This is the kinda stuff that doesn't take you much time in development. Creating an actual game does. And I think it's very understandable that people are annoyed about it at this point.

Do it man. NMS has a ton of hype so I'm sure your game would be huge if you can beat them to market. Like you said, no way this game is coming out in 2015 so you should have plenty of time. Couple weeks to get the procedural galaxy done, a couple months for gameplay, BOOM you have a game.

Having worked with procedural generation, I guarantee you are underestimating the work that goes into it. Sure creating a terrain map using noise is easy peasy, but the stuff they have shown here goes beyond that.

leadbelly

Banned
It seems to me what they have attempted to show throughout the course of those trailers is a sense of scale. Some people have said that each trailer basically shows the same thing, but it doesn't exactly. Each trailer shows the same thing just on a much bigger scale.

They're basically introducing you to the vastness of space.

Zomba13

It seriously blows my mind that people don't understand how people could possibly be hyped about an effectively infinite galaxy to explore.

Yeah, but what do you do? Like, I want to shoot stuff, maybe have grenades maybe have a simple skill tree, maybe a tower or hundred to climb, maybe too many collectables to count. You know, a game!

/s

RedSwirl

If they're going to make everything procedural anyways, why not make the planets as big as planets?

Probably travel distance and accessibility. Then again, Elite Dangerous is supposed to have a 1:1 scale galaxy and just get's around it by having your ship travel at insane speeds.

Can you take your ship and travel to the other galaxies? Or do you use your ship to travel between the Galaxy gou fast travel too?

I would like to take my ship and never fast travel and go through the cosmos in a realistic manner.

Nokterian

You know it better then make it.

Excuse me while i laugh at this post.

Saty

They will be doing live gameplay or something later on today

Why not make it part of the keynote? Begin with 15m demo of U4 and close with 15m demo of NMS that finally shows the gameplay loop in full. Instead we got back-to-back trailers for the game that might as well be interchangeable.

This whole keynote was bad with what they decided to spend time on and what not.

1P08a.gif

Can we please not make this a thread about "So... What's the point of the game? What are you supposed to do?"

This game has been explained over and over again..

This has been the best thing at every keynote since the VGXs last year. As much as I'm interested in Uncharted 4, The Order and Until Dawn, this game just works for me on so many different levels. In some ways I don't really want big complex gameplay systems in the game. Just let me explore, sightsee and get into the occasional fight. It is looking better and better.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Oh so you're one of those guys, you know the person that bitches when other people do shit thats so easy you coulda done it in a week right? Yeah i know those types of people.

bsod

Banned
Every trailer shows exactly the same thing. Get to ship, fly around around a bit, land on another planet. NO MAN'S SKY!

Every trailer shows exactly the same thing. Get to ship, fly around around a bit, land on another planet. NO MAN'S SKY!
And every post is about the same thing. They haven't shown us them shooting their pew pew lasers, it's not a game. NO MAN"S SKY!

a916

Design: Probably because taking 365 days (I believe it's almost one full calender year to walk around the equator of the Earth) is a really long time. Doesn't sound as appealing as exploring small planets and then flying off to different parts of the universe.

Technical: And of course whatever technical limitations come with planets that size.

Hahahahahahaha.

You're hard bro..

rich7sena

Banned
I like that this game pays homage to just about every Sci-Fi movie of the past 20+ years. I see a lot of 2001, Star Wars, and even Oblivion (that ice planet landing pad) in this game.

daveo42

Banned

So when does your game come out?

Then fucking do it? Considering the hype that NMS has behind it, i'm sure you and your guys could become stars with you beating them to market.

Top Bottom