• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (PSX)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Those planets seem like they're maybe 1/100th the size of the moon?

If they're going to make everything procedural anyways, why not make the planets as big as planets?

Everything seems to be at a very small scale. Small planets, take off and instantly you're into space, another 5 seconds and you're into the next planet. Seems very crowded together. Arcade, like someone mentioned earlier. Not too much science related things going on.

orava

Those planets seem like they're maybe 1/100th the size of the moon?

If they're going to make everything procedural anyways, why not make the planets as big as planets?

The game is meant to be very simplistic and relatively fast paced. So no Kerbal Style Planets here...

hawk2025

Creating a terrain generator is one of the things you learn early on when you get into programming for 3d. The really difficult stuff in terms of procedural generation isn't in their game, which Murray pointed out nicely in the 30 minute preview.

I bet my ass that if I'd sit our guys down we'd have similar core tech worked out within a few weeks, doing the same thing as what you see in their videos. It might not look as snazzy, but that's just a matter of pouring resources into it.

This is the kinda stuff that doesn't take you much time in development. Creating an actual game does. And I think it's very understandable that people are annoyed about it at this point.

Well, what are you waiting for?

You can get funding from a company like Sony and multiple magazine covers with a few weeks' work. Get to it!

commissar

They want to see the same shit that is in hundreds of other videogames. The shooting, violence, the bar filling up and going ding, the grind for things. They don't want to see unique and inventive use of procedural generation or a game that lets you play how you want.
No I want to see how and why exploration is interesting. If by hour two you've parsed the palette swaps and the creature generation all that's left is moving forward for a long time.

Journey was great not only because of the exploration and tone but because the movement felt interesting and expressive.

Same reason defrag is fun - why play an arena shooter without the shooting? Because it's mechanically challenging and thus engaging.

Minecraft's exploration was interesting because of risk/reward and being able to view the terrain with an eye for creation.

No Man's Sky needs to show that because at the moment their trailers assume familiarity with the systems and info mentioned in this thread. If you're not following the game closely then I guess some text shows up when landing on an empty platform on a barren world. Zzzzzzz.

Bullshit.

What do we classify as procedural now? Those are models built by an artist, just placed by an algorithm within a procedural world. That's nothing.

Honestly, if any of you think that you'll see actual gameplay (meaning, the stuff they're TALKING about that they've never shown) at another event that happens later tonight, you're delusional.

I'm sorry, but the Molyneux is strong with this game. I'm kinda annoyed when devs go out and talk the talk, but don't end up walking the walk. At some point, all the blabla simply turns to lies.

If they're making a 'Space Proteus' then they should be open about it and say just that. But they leave people in their believes about this being anything like Minecraft, etc. - and they MIGHT want to do that, but it's one thing to create algorithms that create procedural worlds (Honestly, every professional studio should know how to build this stuff and ship a similar prototype within a few weeks), but it's a WHOLE OTHER THING to actually create a game around it. And that's why people aren't buying it - they talk the talk, they don't walk the walk.

Uh huh.

You sure like to talk out of your ass, dont you?

And thomasmahler was never heard from again.... =p

No, I'm fascinated reading all these comments. Obviously I'm coming off as 'a little' too aggressive here, but my bullshit meter is going crazy at this point when it comes to this game and the way the developers kinda misled gamers and the press about it is really mind boggling.

Whenever Molyneux talks crazy about his game ideas, people are skeptical and want to see what he's actually doing. And here we see the same kinda case. If they're making Space Proteus, great, then that's what you're doing and there's value in that. Lots of people will still dig it. But they've gone out saying this and that, yet they've never SHOWN anything.

To me, this whole thing isn't any different to this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

And we know what Notch said about it back then. I apologize if I'm coming across like an asshole in this thread, but at this point, I'm just hugely skeptical about what they're doing and how they're intentionally or unintentionally misleading gamers and the press about what they're working on.

SO is it just a walking simulator? What do you even do in it?

sFzABmA.gif

Why are people so confused about the game?

Your goal is to get to the center of the universe. That's what the game is about. How is that a walking simulator?

No, I'm fascinated reading all these comments. Obviously I'm coming off as 'a little' too aggressive here, but my bullshit meter is going crazy at this point when it comes to this game and the way the developers kinda misled gamers and the press about it is really mind boggling.

That's fine and all but what about your game that you said could be made in a week...?

~Kinggi~

Banned
What people seem to have a hard time digesting is that this is a game where exploration is the progression. Resources are gained to explore further and the more you explore the higher your rank is.

Everyone is so barinwashed to think there is no gameplay here unless the player is holding a big gun and blowing stuff up.

jond76

Banned
Everything seems to be at a very small scale. Small planets, take off and instantly you're into space, another 5 seconds and you're into the next planet. Seems very crowded together. Arcade, like someone mentioned earlier. Not too much science related things going on.

It's been explained many times in interviews that while some of it is intentional to provide a better gameplay experience, they are purposely finding areas that are jammed together for presentation purposes.

Phlebas

Banned
What people seem to have a hard time digesting is that this is a game where exploration is the progression. Resources are gained to explore further and the more you explore the higher your rank is.

Everyone is so barinwashed to think there is no gameplay here unless the player is holding a big gun and blowing stuff up.

Maybe if they add some collectibles!

Why are people so confused about the game?

Your goal is to get to the center of the universe. That's what the game is about. How is that a walking simulator?

Yeah....and your goal in Penn and Teller's Desert Bus game is to get to Las Vegas. The game was terrible.

People want to see actually mechanics. I do too and don;t blame them for wanting to see them.

People have read...."you gather resources...blah blah" but we haven't seen how this works and even one example of it. All we have seen is a camera swooping around in neat locations

Whenever Molyneux talks crazy about his game ideas, people are skeptical and want to see what he's actually doing. And here we see the same kinda case. If they're making Space Proteus, great, then that's what you're doing and there's value in that. Lots of people will still dig it. But they've gone out saying this and that, yet they've never SHOWN anything.

And we know what Notch said about it back then. I apologize if I'm coming across like an asshole in this thread, but at this point, I'm just hugely skeptical about what they're doing and how they're intentionally or unintentionally misleading gamers and the press about what they're working on.

...Except the tech is real and we've just seen a half an hour interview that shows it off, and a trailer that shows a new planet being discovered for just that trailer.

I'm confused. Are you bitching about the tech, or the "lack of gameplay" being shown?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well i for one am looking forward to the hour long NMS gameplay demo and 65daysofstatic concert tonight. Should be cool.

Zomba13

That's fine and all but what about your game that you said could be made in a week...?

If he can knock out a prototype in a week then I don't know why he's sceptical. If what they are doing is so easy then why is it hard to believe? If the problem is something like shooting mechanics then why is that also hard to believe? We've seen so many shooters, that seems something easy to do too.

If it's the tech then we've had the 30 min Game Informer video with Murray explaining a bunch of the tech and showing off the generation of the planet, ships and animals even showing us a few varieties.

Well i for one am looking forward to the hour long NMS gameplay demo and 65daysofstatic concert tonight. Should be cool.

Even if it was an hour long of shooting and grenades and explosions and killer robots people would be asking "but wheres the game? Is this just an FPS? *Yawn* we've got too many of those".

The thing is, the crazy stuff is what they are showing in these trailers. If Molyneux was talking about his game having quests and combat would your 'bullshit meter' continue to go wild? Probably not since these are basic gameplay ideas that hundreds of other games have. What if he was talking about having a huge universe to explore but only showed combat and quests for one single area? I think it would be appropriate to question the game idea if this were the case.

Chev

Uh huh.

You sure like to talk out of your ass, dont you?

No, he's right, and plenty of people do it as a hobby. Just look up "procedural planet" on youtube. The procedural ships and creatures are kinda more complex but procedural planets are on the easy side of procedural generation and any 3d programmer worth his salt can get a generator going in a matter of weeks.

No, see, that's actually pretty reassuring, because what gets on the bad side of most programmers regarding unlimited detail is we know exactly what they're talking about and it doesn't do what they say. But in NMS' case we also know exactly what they're talking about and as said above it does what they say it does as procedural terrains and planets are a well known field even at the hobbyist level.

Drazgul

I guess they won't let you use your ship's weapons inside an atmosphere, period? Which sounds dumb kinda, but it'd be very easy to trivialize the combat on foot that way.

okjohn.gif

Time to go loop this new trailers some more

No, he's right, and plenty of people do it as a hobby. Just look up "procedural planet" on youtube. The procedural ships and creatures are kinda more complex but procedural planets are on the easy side of procedural generation and any 3d programmer worth his salt can get a generator going in a matter of weeks.

No, I completely understand that anyone can crank out a procedural planets, algorithms.

But he's just waving his hand at all the tech being made because... reasons.

Then he goes an makes a post comparing the game to some bullshit polygon replacement scam, saying the game is practically a scam that is tricking people.

Even after we've had countless examples of it being explained, shown and presented to us. I'm simply confused what he is trying to say, if he's saying the games tech is bullshit, or if there is simply "a lack of gameplay" to go along with the tech.

I guess they won't let you use your ship's weapons inside an atmosphere, period? Which sounds dumb kinda, but it'd be very easy to trivialize the combat on foot that way.
lol, there is a trailer that ends with ship combat in a planets atmosphere. I really don't understand why you guys just assume stuff instead of actually reading/watching EASILY accessible information that gives you answers. At least ask a question instead lmao

AngryMoth

I get that it's annoying having loads of people like "I don't understand what this game is, is it just a walking simulator" but tbh it is there own fault for not showing any combat in the trailers. Just a few clips would put all that stuff to bed.

Drazgul

lol, there is a trailer that ends with ship combat in a planets atmosphere. I really don't understand why you guys just assume stuff instead of actually reading/watching EASILY accessible information that gives you answers. At least ask a question instead lmao

I just did? I wasn't aware that watching every video and reading every article was required before posting in this thread.

I'm confused. Are you bitching about the tech, or the "lack of gameplay" being shown?

Again, I apologize if i'm coming across as bitchy in the first place. I think the TECH they have is really cool - but it's not something I'd be swooning over as an artist and a designer, cause turning this into an actual game that people would like to play must be a fucking nightmare.

The tech is cool and it's been done many times before. They're doing it in realtime, which is quite cool and the results are also quite nice looking, but what I'm 'bitching' about is that they have no mechanics. All I'm seeing is pretty much just debug stuff, even though the dev is TALKING about how you're able to do this and that, yet _none_ of that has ever been shown in the slightest. That's why I'm saying it's a tech demo, not an actual game. And I think that turning this into an actual, fun game is going to be insanely difficult.

I just don't understand why gamers and especially the press isn't a little more critical when it comes to all the promises being made here.

Cess007

Man, if this is just an exploration game and there's no on-foot combat whatsoever, i will be extra happy. As for now, i'm still super hyped for what i've seen :D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's been explained many times in interviews that while some of it is intentional to provide a better gameplay experience, they are purposely finding areas that are jammed together for presentation purposes.

Can you point out to me those interviews? Do they mention also the small planet sizes and the very thin atmosphere in that?

bj00rn_

Banned
Hahahahahahaha.

You're hard bro..

I'm not going to go through his post and agree or disagree with everything, but he is right in that procedural generation is an old trick (although many clueless journalists lately have portrayed it as being something new). And he is also right in that procedural generation in itself should be the one of the easiest parts of making NMS.

"Elite" from 1984, 30 years ago, was going to have 282 TRILLION GALAXIES. They decided to dial it back to 8 single galaxies for playability reasons.. So you see, the "near-infinite" number isn't really that impressive in itself, it's what you do with it that counts. Some people are just asking to see more of the game part.

kyser73

Creating a terrain generator is one of the things you learn early on when you get into programming for 3d. The really difficult stuff in terms of procedural generation isn't in their game, which Murray pointed out nicely in the 30 minute preview.

I bet my ass that if I'd sit our guys down we'd have similar core tech worked out within a few weeks, doing the same thing as what you see in their videos. It might not look as snazzy, but that's just a matter of pouring resources into it.

This is the kinda stuff that doesn't take you much time in development. Creating an actual game does. And I think it's very understandable that people are annoyed about it at this point.

industrial-road-salt.jpg

Top Bottom