• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't fucking wait! I've been longing for this type of game. I played Elite Dangerous for a while, but it didn't scratch the itch I wanted. This on the other hand is almost everything I've been wanting. Already have it on Steam and I'm excited.

I see this 1% chance of meeting another player statistic... just seems completely barmy to me.

Not expecting the servers to work anyway.

The amount of threads about NMS being disappointing in the next couple of years after the game is out is going to be unbearable, but hopefully entertaining.

Each beginning with the line "remember E3 20xx?" Then a long list of extremely naive and crazy expectations.

Then the last paragraph starting with, "but what we got was..."
And tons of bitching.

Fun.

killroy87

I feel like I'm part of the small minority of people that are keeping my expectations very in check about this game.

I'm very excited about it, but mainly because I love the idea of throwing on a podcast and exploring new planets for a few hours, it sounds incredibly relaxing.

The actual game part of NMS has always, and still, looks a bit anemic. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a super deep and rich gameplay experience, but I'm completely ready and okay with it not.

I've got the collectors edition preordered. Easily my most anticipated game this gen. Looks bloody amazing, and if they can actually pull off everything they've promised, and have it run well, it'll potentially be the game I've been dreaming about since I was a small child.

It's been a long time coming, sure, and there's still a hell of a lot of mysteries about it, but everything they've shown has pointed to it being a well polished, rich and deep game, with potentially infinite playability.

BigDug13

Im expecting at least a solid 7 or 8 from reviews and for the game to have a longer life on console than PC. Dont ask me why.

They're embracing the modding community, so I see the legs on PC being carried more. I can see a modded version where I'm flying around in an X-wing eventually happening.

the fact that you guys are hyping yourself up for an embarrassing review thread is, well, embarrassing.

Who seriously gets hyped for a review thread? People do that?

Edit - I should add I'm not talking about the content of the OP, but just the concept of being excited about the thread itself. I'm looking forward to what Legacy puts together for the thread.

Have you played it for 4+ hours??

And you know this how?

Why even bother replying to comments like this. You're not going to get anywhere. It's been nearly three years of conversations like this. Just trying to help you avoid frustration lol

Bethell

I get explore thousands and thousands and thousands of planets as a space explorer in an actual sci-fi game and that's fucking cool. .

Problem is, after 4 hours or so they're all very similar. And its just repetitive with a different skin on it..

Odrion

Banned
I can't wait to hear various people with British accents talk over damning trailer footage about how disappointing the game is, and how it's an affront to gamer's rights because it's $60.

Nzyme32

the fact that you guys are hyping yourself up for an embarrassing review thread is, well, embarrassing.

Pretty much agree. The hype nonsense that goes on for a lot of these heavily marketed games is just ridiculous. Great if you know you are interested in the game, like the ideas etc, but a lot of it is still up in the air or simply marketing - so then trying to think up review scores through the "hype" as some are doing, is hilarious to me

Plum

Not pre-ordering this (I rarely do nowadays anyway), but if this isn't a trainwreck, which I highly doubt it'll be, I'll get the GOG version for sure. I've been wanting a space game that doesn't require a PhD in astrophysics. Really hope this has 21:9 support on PC, a game like this would look AMAZING on my new screen.

I still don't see what the fuss is about. This feels like the most overhyped game in years because, while it's a really cool concept and is incredibly pretty, I see absolutely no meat to the experience.

Curious to see if my concerns are warranted in 3 week's time.

Cromwell

Banned
Hype for me is gone. They took way too long to get this thing out and I still don't really know what it is. Going to end up being one of the most overhyped games of all time IMO.

Plum

The thing is, how well will it run on PS4 ?

I'm expecting a 30fps cap with drops when flying fast around a planet or system, nothing amazing in terms of performance. The PS4's weak-point is its CPU and it seems like this is very demanding on it.

Arrrammis

I was really excited about it, but they just kept putting so much effort in to the hype train without much to really show (although I guess the mystery is part of the game). I'll wait for opinions and reviews from Gaf, currently it looks like a neat game that could keep me in for a few weeks depending on how rewarding and fun the exploration and collection parts of the game are.

Watching 4+ hours of gameplay, yes. I'd say so

If there were actually 4+ hours of consecutive gameplay out there, you might have a point, but based on the released footage of the game, that statement makes no sense.

Based on your other posts, you just seem to be talking out of your ass though, so I guess that's just that.

Danneee

I think it's going to be very polarizing and a a meta score around 68. Either reviewers love it or think it's meh.
I don't really have time for it right now so I'll wait, plus I want more info on diversity in animal and plant life as that is my biggest concern. No point in exploring if the reward for doing so doesn't feel meaningful.

mario_O

I'm a bit worried about shallow gameplay. The ship, for example, looks far to easy to maneuver. I want to feel like I'm piloting a spaceship. Not something as complicated as Elite but a middleground beteween Elite and something arcade-y.
Combat also looks shallow. There's not much to it. The gameplay I've seen looked too easy and not challenging at all.

Eumi

I'm in the no faith but hope it's good group. Like, if it does deliver it'll be wonderful.

But it won't.

legacyzero

Banned
The cynicism surrounding this game is pretty much fucking comedy at this point. People wanna fucking hate it before even considering the potential it has. Is there potential that it doesn't meet expectations. Sure. But that's EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER. Here's some of the thread-shitting responses condensed to a list that I've seen in every NMS thread created here-

-"Still dont know what you do" (With all of the information that exists, that's just deliberately daft)
-"This game is going to bomb HARD" (Based on what exactly? Your comfortable position on Michael Pachter's chair arm?)
-"Procedural generation is such a stupid method. It's boring and lacks creativity." (Yet, one of the first games to take it mainstream is pretty much one of the highest selling games of all time, and games like it that put a focus on emergent gameplay are selling gangbusters. Also, see Steams top sellers, where No Man's Sky has been comfortably floating at the top of-
untitled9aslx.png
-"The game is just such a question mark..." (That is LITERALLY and DELIBERATELY the idea. The creators of the game have decided to not show us a majority of the games' features and components, so that you can find them yourself. For better or worse, Kojima deliberately hid Raiden from players in MGS2 until day one when people bought it and were like "WTF JUST HAPPENED OMG". THAT is risk, and NOBODY does that shit anymore. It's delightful. That justifies my hype and my purchase.)
-"I prefer my hand-crafted, on rails, linear experience." (Cool. Those can be great too. What's your point? A 4 to 14 person team used a particular method to make the kind of game they wanted to make. Deal with it.)
-"The price is too high! It's an indie!" (Watch this video (No Man's Price) and stop thinking that your personal entitlement should dictate what a game should cost, and then go and buy another fucking season pass, you hypocrites :).)
-"It wasn't at E3... It's gonna suck!" (Or MAAAAAyyyybe they didn't want to piss off people that were ready for the game to release on June 21st, and disrespect that by spending a week in the united states, when they could just as easy finish the damn game, start it's marketing campaign. Also-)
-"They took too long to launch it. I'm no longer interested" (Oh really? So if you go to a restaurant and order a meal, and it takes a little bit longer than you want, they bring it out, apologize and say that they just wanted it to be perfect to their standards, are you gonna say, "No thanks- took too long. Bye."? Wha...?)

With all that said, If you're apprehensive, just wait for reviews? But what's really shitty, are people who are putting Hello Games in fucking Peter Molyneux's carnival of dumb-shit developers when they've done nothing to warrant it. They dont deserve your cynicism until they've proven they're worthy of it.

I'm very into it, but even with seeing all the media and interviews, I might still not like it that much (happened to an extent with Elite: Dangerous already, but that's a different situation) as a game. I believe everything we've seen so far, and more, is definitely in the game, but it will all depend on how well the survival, crafting and the feel of progression are handled. I'm definitely expecting some rough edges in there, but then again, games like STALKER or Mount & Blade have more than their fair share of jankyness, but I consider them some of the greatest gaming experiences I've had, so I'm not overly worried about that.

(Going on a more descriptive rant here about what this game seems to be, kinda irrelevant to the topic, kinda felt it should be said, but apologies either way)

Maybe an interesting recent example is Necropolis, which I've only tried for a little while. That there's an idea that sounds kinda cool and logical on paper, but the way the fundamental gameplay mechanics are handled (animations, combat, level design, random respawning enemies etc.) make it not so good in the end. It's also has procedural dungeons/levels, and most people might find it a good example of procedural generation just being a bad idea, but I think the problem is that it's not utilized well, to its full potential (which would require much, much more work, to the point of maybe inventing a revolutionary system that creates much more intelligent, human like level designs, but that's another topic entirely).

But my point is that No Man's Sky is a game of that ilk, it's a modern mixture of survival rogue-lites and the old and recently resurfaced space trading and exploration genre (which I'm sure a lot of people aren't fully familiar with, which kind of helps the confusion about what this game is).

In some sort of JRPG/fatnasy rogue-like mashup terms, you have an "overworld" map (galaxy map) which you can travel through with limited distances with your "airship" (spaceship), and each "city" (star system) is consisted of "shops" (space stations) and plenty of "useful junk" (asteroid fields) and "rival gangs" (warring alien factions) as well as other "traders" (traders) and "pirates" (pirates :p), "travelers" (you get it) etc. But more importantly, each "city" consists of a huge, massive "dungeon" (all of the planets in the system), and each "floor" (single planet) has a unique, procedural theme, both aesthetically and gameplay-wise.

So very much in a Spellunky or Enter the Gungeon sense, the planets in NMS are dungeon floors, albeit a bit larger in spatial scale (and somewhat in scope). Now, some people just don't like those games, and that's fine. My point is, for people that enjoy those types of games, the actual appearance of the dungeon floor isn't all that important, it's all about the procedural level layout, whether you'll get an easier combination of enemies, shops, keys, chests with good weapons and an easier boss. It's the challenge that awaits, and the rewards you can get inside those same looking dungeons is what makes the whole gameplay loop work. The visual look of the dungeon floor changes somewhat from floor to floor, and in deeper floors you'll get some more drastic variations/themes (suddenly you're in a deserted mine with wooden walls and rails, instead of the cold rock hallways of a castle/dungeon). I mean, we play games with repetitive graphics/themes/levels/worlds all the time, and it's only really a problem if the devs are really "lazy" and don't add just a bit of flavor, some cosmetic changes, and we're fine. The Legend of Grimrock games come to mind, it's mostly set in very similar looking, medieval dungeons, although the sequels add more themed dungeons, mines, swapms, a pyramid etc. But it's fine, because that's what we expect from a medieval fantasy dugneon themed game.

Now imagine if Enter the Gungeon had a procedural system that changed the visuals, themes, enemies and weapons/gear in a very colorful, and more meaningful way, so it's not all dungeons anymore, but acidic swamps, deserts, frozen tundras, lush forests, acidic desert planets with violent sandstorms etc. And it's set on vast planets. In space, in a galaxy/universe. And in 3D, with deformable terrain. With crafting, but without building (so with all that, I hope people understand why some folks compare it to Minecraft). The point is, the visual and "level themes" wouldn't just be palette swaps, cosmetic changes, but would influence the gameplay, such as a "mine" planet (barren cold moon) will have more mineral resources/cash, acidic planets might have more elements to mine for fuel or upgrades but are also extremely dangerous so you effectively have a timer in the dungeon etc. Some planets will have artefacts, ruined temples, trading outposts, maybe more or less interesting things and so on.

So my point is, we will absolutely see through the procedural algorithms and see the repetitive systems in play after a few hours (maybe a dozen or so, less, more, depends?), but that's the point. We will learn what it means to run into a Korvax controlled system with a G class planet, with an acidic atmosphere (oh, it's a dungeon with a fireplace room and water barrels, and hopefully some keys), if we can expect living creatures or not, if there are a lot of Sentinel guardians on that planet or none at all, which types of ships I can expect on their space station, if there are pirates, traders, should I be aggressive, defensive or helpful towards these aliens and creatures and so on. But in addition to that, we'll still encounter weird, interesting planets that feel and look different, even slightly from one another, and that should be fine. The more time you spend with anything, the more familiar you are with it. The problem is that because this game has a technically infinite number of planets, people expect a somewhat unrealistic level of uniqueness for every new "dungeon floor".

Even on our own planet, there are only so many basic/primary types of biomes and animal/insect types. Their variations can produce extreme examples, because the natural system is incredibly complex, but at the end of the day, a peacock and a swan are just two types of birds.

EDIT:
But yes, everything I've mentioned might very well end up to be shallow, because this is a massive undertaking.

I'm really looking forward to it, and have calibrated expectations for content (like only 1% of planets being paradise planets full of life)

I look at it as elite dangerous SP, but with more interesting content in terms of planet landings in particular

I am so hoping they have a VR mode switch in there for PC players

legacyzero

Banned
I'm very into it, but even with seeing all the media and interviews, I might still not like it that much (happened to an extent with Elite: Dangerous already, but that's a different situation)

Agreed on the E:D part. When it was released, it was fun only for a little bit. But the extent of game is not being released as "expansions" rather than making it part of the core experience which is unfortunate.

Still looking forward to it, but then again my expectations have been fairly grounded and tempered from jump. People have a tendency to blow up their own hype and expectations and then get mad when developers don't live up to their imaginations. I'm sure NMS will suffer this same fate with some people.

Wall of arguments

Great post. The negativity starting to surround NMS is freaking crazy. I especially "love" the "It's been delayed so much, it's probably shit" argument. Besides the fact that almost every game gets delayed at this point, NMS has also only had a single official delay, which wasn't even 2 months.

Shit's just stupid at this point, but I expect a lot of the shit talking comes from people expecting the game to be around $30, making the price reveal a huge disappointment that still stings. And on top of that there's just the people that don't think an game from a small indie team should ever be $60.

Nothing like a new NMS thread to bring out the NeoGaf Nostradamuses and trolls.

I'd type more, but I think LegacyZero just said everything that needed to be said.

Is it cool if I take my tin spaceship out of the CE box and make space ship noises with my mouth as I fly it around my house? What level of hype is that?

legacyzero

Banned
A reasonable fanbase would at least wait until people criticize and complain about the game and its various gameplay mechanics before going into circlejerking mode about how the plebs don't understand the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom