• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the hype peaked last year, but I still think it'll do relatively well barring disastrous reviews.

A reasonable fanbase would at least wait until people criticize and complain about the game and its various gameplay mechanics before going into circlejerking mode about how the plebs don't understand the game.

If I threw rocks at you every time you stuck your head out your front door, eventually you'd come out swinging.

Yukinari

I still don't see what the fuss is about. This feels like the most overhyped game in years because, while it's a really cool concept and is incredibly pretty, I see absolutely no meat to the experience.

Curious to see if my concerns are warranted in 3 week's time.

Hype for me is gone. They took way too long to get this thing out and I still don't really know what it is. Going to end up being one of the most overhyped games of all time IMO.

Exactly how i feel. Sense of exploration is not enough to hold up a game on its own. Theres only so long that procedural generation can hold someones interest without the other elements being strong.

RedSwirl

Reviews and word of mouth are gonna be all over the place because it's way outside the norm for $60 console action games.

GodofWine

A reasonable fanbase would at least wait until people criticize and complain about the game and its various gameplay mechanics before going into circlejerking mode about how the plebs don't understand the game.

Both sides have been premature, the promoters of the game have bordered on radicalized zealots, and detractors are no better.

I, for me, me onlyz based on what has been shown, think I will fond this game dull. BUT they are going to show videos Lee launch of the trading, pirate and whatever else you can be, so maybe that will be cool.

I think making this single player (I know I know you MIGHT maybe almost never find a person), will detract from it, all battles, and trade, and combat will be done vs AI, and I'm really skeptical of how fun that will be. But who knows, might be a blast.

Kinyou

I wait until I see some reviews. The concept is great but I fear it's also something that can grow tiresome. I think a lot will depend on how easy it is to recognise a pattern behind the procedurally created stuff.

It seems there really will be no PC retail release and it'll be Steam exclusive, which means this game is more expensive than AAA games (on PC), so I can't get excited for the launch. €60 is a lot compared to the average retail copy of a triple-A game which is €45.

It seems there really will be no PC retail release and it'll be Steam exclusive, which means this game is more expensive than AAA games (on PC), so I can't get excited for the launch. €60 is a lot compared to the average retail copy of a triple-A game which is €45.

It's on GOG.com as well.

WaterAstro

I'm glad it wasn't at E3. I kinda wish they didn't go to E3 2015.

This game needs to stay a mystery, but it's our fault that we care about knowing every trivial mechanic.

I've been hyped since E3 2014, still hyped, and I didn't need anymore than that one trailer to keep me anticipated.

I'm still highly skeptic about the game. I've never been a believer of procedure generation. I never had fun with a game that adopts this system but I like relaxing exploration in a game and NMS fits quite well in that regard.

OmegaDL50

I've always been interested in this game and understood it's pull since it was initially announced.

There are other games that are did the things that NMS is doing like Rebel Galaxy, the Elite series, Out There, and Minecraft on the procedural generation front.

It's just the way Hello Games managed to put it all together along with a 70's Sci-Fi Book Cover aesthetic.

It's basically 3D Starbound without the Base Building mechanics. There is that survival aspects of needing to upgrade your suit, ship, and weapon to improve your chances to travel further and further to the universe's center.

One example I like to compare to is when on the surface of a planet doing ground exploration and you see planet looming overhead in the sky in the background, You can just jump into your ship and actually go there. It's not just a fancy looking Sky box but an actual thing you can travel to and visit.

starbound.jpg

It is this sort of thing that appeals to me the most. Just basically looking up in the sky, seeing a distant world, jumping into your ship and being able to actually go there and it's all real time gameplay, It isn't a fancy cutscene, or simply choosing a destination from a menu and it being mainly an automated thing. The player themselves controls it and makes the journey themselves.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've said this since day 1. The game got propped up by sony as a big time AAA title that was a gamechanger. It got significant stage time and a demo at their conference. As more was shown, the same questions were asked "what do you do". Despite all the bickering back and forth from both sides, it really was simple. The game is a niche genre. Most people who play games prefer a goal of some sort, wether it be through narrative, linear campaign, quests, etc. This game will have some elements of all of that, but for the most part it seems it's really about the exploration and keeping enough resources to continue to explore. Some people will love it, but my opinion is that, most people will be disappointed.

jond76

Banned
I'm preordered up and ready to go! Might even grab it on pc since I just bought one with a 960m in it. Let's go!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'm interested, will wait for reviews. And depending on how long it takes to reach the center this could end up being the best podcast game.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This feels like the type of game that gets released, it gets a pretty good reception, you hear about it for the next few months, then gaming media moves on to other things, 10 gaffers make a thread wondering why no one talks about the game anymore, each thread gets the reply "the OT is still fairly popular", and the game retains a moderately sized player base for the next few years.

elco

I'll probably pick this up early as it at the very least provides a unique experience on the ps4. It probably won't satisfy me completely, but so be it... nothing does. Uncharted 4 may be my fav single player experience ever, but not my thing multiplayer.

I find most of the NMS gripes unwarranted honestly. Apparently it's a survival game, just like do many others. I'd love for it to have multiplayer with FPS elements, but there is a reason star citizen is $100m+ game with 4 worldwide studios working full time and still in early alpha state.

Go in with your expectations in check, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

OmegaDL50

Probably going to be doing my own Youtube series on the game I guess. Not quite ready to do any Streaming, but will make liberal use of the Share button and show off some of my experience.

That way folks still on the fence get some genuine hands on impressions. Probably cover my entire first solar system into the next. I am not big on the "Let's Play" video thing, so I am not going to promise anything more than that and will just cover the bare minimum that glosses over the games mechanics to give a fair understanding to the watcher on the standard progression of the game.

Even better the fact I'll be recording on day 1, making it basically a blind play through, so it'll a new experience for me as well as whoever decides to watch the videos I upload.

zerosum

(Oh really? So if you go to a restaurant and order a meal, and it takes a little bit longer than you want, they bring it out, apologize and say that they just wanted it to be perfect to their standards, are you gonna say, "No thanks- took too long. Bye."? Wha...?)

Kind of off topic, but yes, this exact thing happens all the damn time. It's fucking absurd.

And back on topic, this is the first game I've pre-orderd in years. I'm a Sci-fi and exploration nut, so I'm predisposed into being a bit hyped for this. Can't wait to just run around, fly around, and see what's out there. That's enough for me, even if the underlying gameplay ends up being a bit shallow.

Sarek

I haven't really been that hyped about this game. The exploration aspect seems cool, but everything you can do besides that seems pretty meh based on the videos I've seen. And I'm not sure how long exploring procedurally generated galaxy can keep my interest.

Jhriad

At this point I'm just waiting for reviews to see how bad the pop-in is on PS4 before I pick it up. Really want to pick it up but the draw distance for some of those objects looked pretty abysmal.

OmegaDL50

At this point I'm just waiting for reviews to see how bad the pop-in is on PS4 before I pick it up. Really want to pick it up but the draw distance for some of those objects looked pretty abysmal.

Nothing can be done about that really. It's not really pop-in as so much as it's literally generating the LOD and world terrain.

Kind of like when you travel a certain distance in Minecraft and new terrain is generated.

The world is not loaded in advance or prebaked on the disc, it is created on the fly as you travel.

Even increasing the draw distance wouldn't fix this as then rather than seeing objects generate closer away, it would instead be generated further away. So the problem would exist regardless. This is the crux of all procedurally generated games.

I don't get the skepticism, the "wait-and-see" approach.

It's really easy to understand if the game is for you or not.

"All" you do is explore a basically endless universe on your ship, gathering resources, fighting pirates (if you want), trading item (if you want), while you get to understand how this universe works.

It's a journey to the center of the galaxy/universe. Everything else that's hidden is a plus. But the core mechanics are pretty straight-forward.

What do you guys expect from reviews and streams alike? It's a potentially massive game, no way rushed reviews and day-one streams will enlighten us with deep knowledge.

If it sounds interesting, it wll be. If you're skeptic, well: pass. Nothing (out of actually playing it, maybe) could change your mind.

The good thing is you'll always see a different planet in every video. xD

legacyzero

Banned

The latest trailer shows a surprising reduction of pop-in. It looks more normal. The worst I could see was shadow pop-in, and to me, that's a regular thing in console games.

But with the game's tech, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some. Hell, games like Minecraft only generate to a certain distance.

We also know it has gone gold already, but after this year's E3 no-show I'm a little torn. Is it still that highly anticipated, mysterious exploration game?

I'm currently looking for a neat summer game, but the list is short, and No Man's Sky just leaves me with question marks.

To be honest, it still feels like a surprise bag which could turn out to be either 60 or a 90 rated game on Metacritic/Opencritic.

What about you?
giphy.gif

Abzu
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Obduction (new game from Cyan Worlds)
Death Road To Canada
Zombie Night Terror
We Happy Few
Bound
Headlander
Lovely Planet Arcade
This Is The Police
Rise & Shine
===
Rimworld
Fossil Echo
House of the Dying Sun

OmegaDL50

I don't get the skepticism, the "wait-and-see" approach.

It's really easy to understand if the game is for you or not.

"All" you do is explore a basically endless universe on your ship, gathering resources, fighting pirates (if you want), trading item (if you want), while you get to understand how this universe works.

It's a journey to the center of the galaxy/universe. Everything else that's hidden is a plus. But the core mechanics are pretty straight-forward.

What do you guys expect from reviews and streams alike? It's a potentially massive game, no way rushed reviews and day-one streams will enlighten us with deep knowledge.

If it sounds interesting, it wll be. If you're skeptic, well: pass. Nothing (out of actually playing it, maybe) could change your mind.

The good thing is you'll always see a different planet in every video. xD

Well even the basic premise of Minecraft could make easily to review in a single day. Gather blocks, build structures, survive at night, go dig further in the earth find valuable resources, craft more powerful items that allow you to survive easier and gather resources more efficiently.

No Man's Sky won't have the base building mechanics, but it still has the similar loop of delving on the surface of planets, gather resources to craft objects needed to improve your ship, weapon, and suit to allow the player to travel further and further towards the center of the universe.

But there are other things I don't even gloss upon such as the trading with Alien NPCs and building a relationship with them (Minecraft has NPC traders too), Pirate attacks, learning Alien language or finding bits of the world lore from the standing stone / monoliths, the Sentinel wanted system, and other NMS specific nuances.

I've said in a post above that No Man's Sky isn't the first game to do what it does in some of it's mechanics, but is combining them in it's own way to make it stand out on it's own.

There is more then enough information available to understand the concept behind the game for the sake of gameplay, so doing a proper review of the game shouldn't take an inordinate amount of time.

There is more then enough information available to understand the concept behind the game for the sake of gameplay, so doing a proper review of the game shouldn't take an inordinate amount of time.

Sure, but I don't see how this can put the skeptics' minds at ease xD

It's not quantum physics. xD

benzopil

August will be such a good month with ABZU, Alone With You, Bound and Deus Ex. Even if NMS will be bad, it's still an amazing month. But it won't be bad.

I cant remember the last time I was this excited for a game. With such a large following and community before release, something will have to go terribly terribly wrong for it to not be a success. I dont think anything outside of being completely broken at launch can stop this train. I dont think this game will have to sell gangbusters to turn a decent profit either.

Gimme gimme gimme!!!

I cant remember the last time I was this excited for a game. With such a large following and community before release, something will have to go terribly terribly wrong for it to not be a success. I dont think anything outside of being completely broken at launch can stop this train. I dont think this game will have to sell gangbusters to turn a decent profit either.

Gimme gimme gimme!!!

It's been on Steam's most sold games for quite some time now.

Game is going to do really good.

Plus, it's a PS4 console exclusive, no harsh feelings from the majority xD

RedSwirl

I've said this since day 1. The game got propped up by sony as a big time AAA title that was a gamechanger. It got significant stage time and a demo at their conference. As more was shown, the same questions were asked "what do you do". Despite all the bickering back and forth from both sides, it really was simple. The game is a niche genre. Most people who play games prefer a goal of some sort, wether it be through narrative, linear campaign, quests, etc. This game will have some elements of all of that, but for the most part it seems it's really about the exploration and keeping enough resources to continue to explore. Some people will love it, but my opinion is that, most people will be disappointed.

I don't know about that, what with how big Minecraft got, and this being sort of the same thing as Minecraft exploration but with space ships.

Then again, the audience buying Minecraft is pretty different from the main core console gaming audience. I don't know if NMS is a niche because it seems to be trying to be the first mainstream space simulator game, but it's definitely not something that cleanly matches up with the bulk of the PlayStation audience, and that's why it's been getting such mixed reactions and confusion. I have a feeling the PC audience is going to receive it very differently.

This looks like a game you should play at launch, amongst all the insanity of people figuring out wtf it is, or not at all.

Once people figure out how to perfectly beat the game it'll be ruined.

Cautiously optimistic. Hoping the gathering resources to take off the starter planet and discover new ones gameplay loop is compelling enough to keep plugging away to reach the center of the verse. Exploration is my fav game type, even the super minimalist stuff, so that will help even on the desolate planets, but again the larger time investment this title provides will need some fun systems in place for me to remain glued in for the long haul.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Problem is, after 4 hours or so they're all very similar. And its just repetitive with a different skin on it..

That's how I feel about the FPS genre, new skin still pew pew.

NMS is aiming to do something different which is why i'm intrigued.

nillah

Banned
Imaging having space cadets mine an alternative fuel 50 thousand light years away and transporting said fuel to Earth for use

theWB27

This looks like a game you should play at launch, amongst all the insanity of people figuring out wtf it is, or not at all.

Once people figure out how to perfectly beat the game it'll be ruined.

But we know what it is. How can you perfectly beat a game when none of us will be landing on the same planets? There will be no "go to this planet to mine the most minerals in minutes!" type deal.

styl3s

Problem is, after 4 hours or so they're all very similar. And its just repetitive with a different skin on it..
Oh, cool, when did you put so much time into the game that you can say for a fact that everyone who plays the game is going to have the exact same world with just different grass? Or did you find a time machine and go in the future and play it?

I'm expecting massive disappointment from most players.
I'm expecting people who have the wrong idea of what this game is, is going to be disappointed.

People who know what they are getting into i except are going to enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom