• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on GOG.com as well.

giphy.gif

Abzu
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Obduction (new game from Cyan Worlds)
Death Road To Canada
Zombie Night Terror
We Happy Few
Bound
Headlander
Lovely Planet Arcade
This Is The Police
Rise & Shine
===
Rimworld
Fossil Echo
House of the Dying Sun

I'm having a lot of fun with the GTA online stunt race expansion and it doesn't even cost anything if you have gta5!

I'm expecting people who have the wrong idea of what this game is, is going to be disappointed.

People who know what they are getting into i except are going to enjoy the game.

I think that's the issue, I'd suggest that a lot of people don't know.

It may be down to ignorance, but that's not going to help.

OmegaDL50

I think that's the issue, I'd suggest that a lot of people don't know.

It may be down to ignorance, but that's not going to help.

Ignorance is a problem that can be fixed however. Its the folks that refuse look up information and act confused in spite of the fact is the real problem.

Considering the game has been announced 3 years ago,there is already a ton of information readily available to find for this game, if one actually wants to find it.

Be it the multiple hands-on gameplay previews released back in May by the press, the full month of IGN firsts which have plethora of details on various gameplay mechanics, the dozen or so interviews and articles written on it. Information is there for those that truly want to know.

Kremzeek

From what I've seen from videos regarding the iffy antialiasing and popin/drawin, I may wait for Neo to play it with no compromises.

DrBo42

Oh, cool, when did you put so much time into the game that you can say for a fact that everyone who plays the game is going to have the exact same world with just different grass? Or did you find a time machine and go in the future and play it?

I'm expecting people who have the wrong idea of what this game is, is going to be disappointed.

People who know what they are getting into i except are going to enjoy the game.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm getting at.

But we know what it is. How can you perfectly beat a game when none of us will be landing on the same planets? There will be no "go to this planet to mine the most minerals in minutes!" type deal.
People will figure out X amount of gear/weapons/ships/animal variations/planet variations/store variatins, and mission types... map out the language, the story, etc etc

Once that is all mapped out and you see through the procedural aspect it probably won't be much fun. At least the general consesus online will say that there is no point to play it anymore... unless of course the game is just incredible fun to play which doesn't really look to be the case apart from flying (shooting looks... meh)

But I think even if the game is not much fun to play... the amount of fun it will be to just play it with everyone else at launch and piece stuff together once it comes out will be worth the admission price imo!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I fear for this game. No Man's Sky should be judged on the sum of its parts but people are just taking one or two of those parts to sum it up.

theWB27

People will figure out X amount of gear/weapons/ships/animal variations/planet variations/store variatins, and mission types... map out the language, the story, etc etc

Once that is all mapped out and you see through the procedural aspect it probably won't be much fun. At least the general consesus online will say that there is no point to play it anymore... unless of course the game is just incredible fun to play which doesn't really look to be the case apart from flying (shooting looks... meh)

But I think even if the game is not much fun to play... the amount of fun it will be to just play it with everyone else at launch and piece stuff together once it comes out will be worth the admission price imo!

Your statement is so weird. That would be an incredible undertaking for anyone to try and figure out.

BigDug13

Don't read that stuff then. Why would you want to read a synopsis that blueprints all the underlying mechanics of this game? Just because the internet will eventually spoil this game with in-depth guides about the mechanics doesn't mean you have to read it and since it's not multiplayer, it's not like you have to read any of it to "keep up" with those around you.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to it. Have it preordered on Steam. I won't get to play until the 15th or 16th though as I'm out of the country the 3rd to 14th.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm gonna laugh if the 'what do you even do' crowd where right and you don't actually do anything in this game and it turns out to be as shallow as the trailers and E3 videos.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm gonna laugh if the 'what do you even do' crowd where right and you don't actually do anything in this game and it turns out to be as shallow as the trailers and E3 videos.
What? Doing nothing in this game would just be a static screen.

And I'm gonna laugh when shitposts like this are dead wrong

But of course people like you will never be satisfied

OmegaDL50

hah... give the internet like 3 days.

Thousands of people have analyzed Minecraft and discovered pretty much everything there is to do in that game. People doing everything there is to do doesn't automatically make the game not fun to play anymore.

Despite the large repository of information available on it people continue to play it enmass to this day.

I don't really see why No Man's Sky would be an exception to this even with the lack of being able to build structures or buildings.

Servbot24

Banned
Waits don't matter to me. It doesn't matter if a game comes out today or in 10 years. If it's a good game that interests me I will play it. I will play FFXV and TLG with the same mindset that I would have if they had come out in 2007.

Unfortunately NMS has never looked like a good game to me.

What? Doing nothing in this game would just be a static screen.

"It's better than looking at a static screen" isn't a great pitch.

Thousands of people have analyzed Minecraft and discovered pretty much everything there is to do in that game. People doing everything there is to do doesn't automatically make the game not fun to play anymore.

Despite the large repository of information available on it people continue to play it enmass to this day.

I don't really see why No Man's Sky would be an exception to this even with the lack of being able to build structures or buildings.
NMS is not a creative tool like Minecraft. The goal is to get better stuff, see new things, and get to the centre of the universe.

23qwerty

If all we get is what they've shown this still looks like a great game, but they've been quite adamant that there's still a lot they haven't shown, so holy shit.

Cancelled my LE pre-order

To buy it digitally because I need to play this game ASAP and can't wait for it to be delivered sometime between 3 and 5 pm

I do wish at least two player coop was a thing in this. Yes I know about the infinitesimally small chance you stumble on someone else on your journey, but proper nav beacons players can give their friends to find each other, combined with dual roles in-spaceships (pilot, gunner), and general teamwork collecting resources and building on planets would elevate the experience a bunch. Who knows, maybe something like this is in the works for an expansion or update if it does well.

CHC

I do wish at least two player coop was a thing in this. Yes I know about the infinitesimally small chance you stumble on someone else on your journey, but proper nav beacons players can give their friends to find each other, combined with dual roles in-spaceships (pilot, gunner), and general teamwork collecting resources and building on planets would elevate the experience a bunch. Who knows, maybe something like this is in the works for an expansion or update if it does well.

I would just love to have a coordinate system so you could share interesting locations and places to meet up with friends. No automated lobbies or anything like that - just coordinates to physically jump to.

styl3s

That limited edition was so fucking nice though..
This is why i got hte LE for PS4 and digital for PC.

I wonder if there will be any sort of modding community for NMS on PC if that's even a thing that is possible. Could be super interesting.

I would just love to have a coordinate system so you could share interesting locations and places to meet up with friends. No automated lobbies or anything like that - just coordinates to physically jump to.

Exactly, everything to meet someone done in-universe via beacons/coordinates, what have you. It would still be a challenge with the jump requirements they have in place. Curious how much that will improve as you develop better gear for your ship. Hopefully at a certain point you aren't shoehorned in to grinding on each planet for each sequential jump.

Once that is all mapped out and you see through the procedural aspect it probably won't be much fun.

I think you don't understand how complex the procedural generation is in this game if you think this and that it will be "figured out in 3 days". Some things will be figured out, of course, like any game. Skill/equipment trees, factions, races, sure. But there are hundreds of base creature models from which the proc gen algorithms *start* from. Same for plants. And even if someone maps all of those out, even the creators of this game say they're still surprised by creatures they find.

rqr6lyet9qdokqvgzo7c.gif

This looks like a blast even if you never got to land on planets.

I agree the space combat looks fun, but I really hope the final explosions are improved. I mean Sean worked on Burnout for gods sake, how can NMS explosions look like a PS2 game?

Mathieran

Banned
I'm counting down the days til release. Can't wait to play it. I'm confident it will be good at least, but perhaps it will be amazing.

23qwerty

This is why i got hte LE for PS4 and digital for PC.

I wonder if there will be any sort of modding community for NMS on PC if that's even a thing that is possible. Could be super interesting.

Zero retailers picked up the LE in Canada, feels bad

I agree the space combat looks fun, but I really hope the final explosions are improved. I mean Sean worked on Burnout for gods sake, how can NMS explosions look like a PS2 game?

They really need to copy that shockwave effect from Colony Wars. Thats a PS1 game and the explosions looked great.

I think you don't understand how complex the procedural generation is in this game if you think this and that it will be "figured out in 3 days". Some things will be figured out, of course, like any game. Skill/equipment trees, factions, races, sure. But there are hundreds of base creature models from which the proc gen algorithms *start* from. Same for plants. And even if someone maps all of those out, even the creators of this game say they're still surprised by creatures they find.

I don't expect the procedural animals to be mapped out though I don't think anyone really cares about that. Honestly all those non aggressive creatures look basically the same, especially in their behaviour. If people are looking for variation of animals in ways that actually matter I think they'll be disappointed.

I'm just hoping this game has some fun core gameplay loops in ship combat, trading, upgrades, etc. That is what will keep people playing, not seeing a new creature with red and green stripes and longer hind legs that does nothing different.

SmartBase

Definitely waiting for reviews before buying to see how the PC version stacks up technically but it certainly looks like it's the space exploration game I've been waiting for.

ranmafan

It is still my most anticipated game of the year and I can't wait to play it in three weeks. The lack of showings at e3 didn't bug me and I'm glad they were spending the time finishing the game after the delay rather than going to e3 to once again show trailers or gameplay we've already seen before.

I was sold on this game a long time ago. None of the recent worrying and questions about the game have me concerned. What I've seen and what has been said of the game has me very excited. And I don't need any reviews to help me with my decision. It looks to be the exact type of space exploration game that I want so I'm very excited. I'm all in day one and I can't wait!

Battle Pope

Neo Member
Cautiously optimistic. Hoping the gathering resources to take off the starter planet and discover new ones gameplay loop is compelling enough to keep plugging away to reach the center of the verse. Exploration is my fav game type, even the super minimalist stuff, so that will help even on the desolate planets, but again the larger time investment this title provides will need some fun systems in place for me to remain glued in for the long haul.

This is pretty much my take on it. I'm looking at this as more like Elite: Dangerous set in the Homeworld universe (and that's how I'm going to be 'roleplaying' it: Separated from the Kushan Mothership, alone and pushing on, looking for clues to Hiigara.

I don't expect the procedural animals to be mapped out though I don't think anyone really cares about that. Honestly all those non aggressive creatures look basically the same, especially in their behaviour. If people are looking for variation of animals in ways that actually matter I think they'll be disappointed.

I'm just hoping this game has some fun core gameplay loops in ship combat, etc.
We haven't seen predation, drinking at watering holes and water sources, herds, nocturnal vs day behaviors, etc., which have all been confirmed

Or the carnivorous plants that catch birds out of the sky with tentacle/tongues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKTJblJpw0&feature=youtu.be&t=21m27s

===

The glitches in the game make it sound exciting
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ask-sean-murray-anything-about-no-mans-sky
Bronybuscus: What is the funniest glitch/mishap that you have seen in your game?
Murray: Oh man, I probably shouldn’t say this, but of any game I’ve worked on we definitely have the very best bugs. I better not list too many of these or you’ll think the game is buggy.
One time, we had creatures that lived on the ceiling of caves only in the Northern Hemisphere. Another time all the buildings started walking around the planet. There was a space station that tried to dock in another space station, and a gun that was so powerful it blasted creatures into orbit. My favourite was probably the bug that would reincarnate you as a different creature each time you died. One minute you are in a dog-fight, the next you are a shark in the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom