• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky has the 5th largest peak player count on Steam (by game) since 2012

Uthred

Haha pretty much.
Steam reviews are at mostly negative now.

Most of them are also about the games technical issues, which is of course fair game as the technical issues are bullshit. But it doesnt say much about the actual game (well I suppose it says it doesnt work ;) )

Out of the top of my head. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ability to meet other players.
"Everything is a simulation and planets are rotating on their axis and around the sun." Planets are stationary. Stars are part of the skybox.
Ability to fly between solar systems manually isn't in the game.

I thought ability to meet other players hadnt been confirmed (but is quite likely)? The change to planetary rotation was in the pre-release patch notes was it not? The final one, which again I'm not sure has been definitively proven, seems like a silly thing to complain about "Oh no I couldnt spend literal real world years flying between systems!"

Already did. Steam is great!!!

So great it was the last of the big online stores to offer refunds!!!

Even if it gets refunded a bunch that $60 price tag is really going to help that ROI compared to your average steam trainwreck.

Maybe thats why they went with that price instead of $20-40 like similar Early Access survival games. Get that money now and not worry about later.

On Amazon UK its the 5th best selling product of 2016

f34r34rmkjzd.jpg

Man, Ratchet and Clank really is the surprise success of the year.

That franchise was D.E.A.D.

Parsnip

Yeah, I don't think refunds are going to be huge. Generally speaking majority of people seem content on waiting on patches.
Well, that's usually the way things seem to go, anecdotally.

Out of the top of my head. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ability to meet other players.
"Everything is a simulation and planets are rotating on their axis and around the sun." Planets are stationary. Stars are part of the skybox.
Ability to fly between solar systems manually isn't in the game.

Oh, I see that it's a case of people being unaware of the realities of game development combined with not being able to appreciate that Sean Murray was both being very excited about sharing what they're working on at that very moment AND was not controlled by a PR team.

Also, an interview on the atlantic isn't him advertising something that's supposed to be in the game, while they never had the inclination of ever including it. Come back to me when you've got a commercial showing something that is somehow gamechanging missing, and then I'll maybe entertain the notion that he's somehow maliciously lying.

Gritesh

Games not worth almost 70 bucks Canadian.

Refunded and will either wait for it to be closer to 25-30 or else just pass entirely.

Got it to run smoothly but it bored me pretty quickly.

Some hyperbole here, why are there still 200k concurrent people playing if the game has Arkham knight level technical issues or half of them hate the game?

packy34

Do we have any numbers for how many people use the refund function ?

+1 here. After finally getting the game to run with as little stuttering and crashing as possible, I ended up on an extremely hostile first planet where there were aggressive animals everywhere and highly toxic rain and gas. I decided that I didn't have the motivation to fight the hardware issues AND the shitty luck I'd been given. It just wasn't fun.

Tryxx

Played 30mins refunded game is not for me at all. Also the horrible performance didn't help nice job hello games!!! I fucking love steam.

ViciousDS

Banned
Oh, I see that it's a case of people being unaware of the realities of game development combined with not being able to appreciate that Sean Murray was both being very excited about sharing what they're working with at that very moment AND not controlled by a PR team.

Also, an interview on the atlantic isn't him advertising something that's supposed to be in the game, while they never had the inclination of ever including it. Come back to me when you've got a commercial showing something that is somehow gamechanging missing, and then I'll maybe entertain the notion that he's somehow maliciously lying.

No need buddy, your defense wall is in full force if a Developer can't explicitly say it how it is in an interview where your game was mere months away from releasing it (The game wasn't even fucking delayed yet and was releasing in June with this interview in February, all these details he was spewing would have been locked in at the current dev timeline for any other game.....but not hello games apparently!).

The fact that your post is your sole reason to defend this game proves just how far you are willing to stretch and give a developer you like to bend the truth.

I have no further things to quote or say because you are going to warp them in his defense anyways.

Carry on

Oh, I see that it's a case of people being unaware of the realities of game development combined with not being able to appreciate that Sean Murray was both being very excited about sharing what they're working on at that very moment AND was not controlled by a PR team.

better tell my boss that we're not on the hook for anything we don't say in commercials

the real world doesn't work like this.

Some hyperbole here, why are there still 200k concurrent people playing if the game has Arkham knight level technical issues or half of them hate the game?

Oceanic and Asian players have just woken up, for instance.

Also, it seems that people are still trying to tweak the game to get better performance.

better tell my boss that we're not on the hook for anything we don't say in commercials

the real world doesn't work like this.

If anything, it clearly does. I don't see Hello Games being reprimanded in any way that is even remotely consequential for all the lies people are imagining they've told.

No need buddy, your defense wall is in full force if a Developer can't explicitly say it how it is in an interview where your game was mere months away from releasing it (The game wasn't even fucking delayed yet and was releasing in June with this interview in February, all these details he was spewing would have been locked in at the current dev timeline for any other game.....but not hello games apparently!).

The fact that your post is your sole reason to defend this game proves just how far you are willing to stretch and give a developer you like to bend the truth.

I have no further things to quote or say because you are going to warp them in his defense anyways.

Carry on

How do you even respond to a post like this?

It's a shame they couldn't bother to put out a decent port despite the success. I've refunded it for now, maybe I'll pick it up again when it's finished in a year.

Loudninja

Caayn

As a software engineer I'm quiet familiar with the realities of working on a long project. If you can't ensure something in the final product you don't announce it and in the case you announced a feature that isn't going to be in the final product for whatever reason you inform your potential clients of it. Lying, both deliberately and not, are a no-go when you sell your product imo. Being an indie dev doesn't free you of the shackles you lay upon yourself.

What's the point of interviews if we can't take anything from it? And for commercial publicity does doing an interview/demo on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this very year count in your eyes?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm kind of surprised people think this kind of game would be refunded in the first place.

It's not like there isn't a vast history of PC gamers buying survival titles with mixed (or even actively bad) receptions by the millions.

DayZ: 3,439,433
Rust: 4,157,884
7 Days To Die: 1,541,487
Don't Starve Together: 4,637,945 (It has a better reception these days, but took off at launch when it received especially onerous reviews.)
ARK: Survival Evolved: 3,561,307
H1Z1: 2,472,741
The Forest: 2,169,353

This list certainly isn't exhaustive.

dity

A lack of refunds can also be due to the "can't be fucked" factor. I knew I was pretty disappointed with Drive Club and I just could not be assed to try and get a refund.

MUnited83

For you.
So great it was the last of the big online stores to offer refunds!!!

Were they? There was Origin, in which you can only refund EA games only and nothing more, and GOG, which had a pretty strict policy for them for a while (dunno if that has changed since then).

I remember reading a post here that said the game shouldn't release that early on PC because everyone would just pirate it.
Oh boy.

The reviews there are similar to Steam. Current review titles:

- Poor performance, repetitive, overhype
- No Man's Optimization
- Terrible Optimization
- PS4 port

I don't think this is true...

wait a minute, it seems you can post review on GOG without buying the game.

I'm not sure anymore. If dracula's post is true, then it's on the same level as metacritic user review.

I'm kind of surprised people think this kind of game would be refunded in the first place.

It's not like there isn't a vast history of PC gamers buying survival titles with mixed (or even actively bad) receptions by the millions.

DayZ: 3,439,433
Rust: 4,157,884
7 Days To Die: 1,541,487
Don't Starve Together: 4,637,945 (It has a better reception these days, but took off at launch when it received especially onerous reviews.)
ARK: Survival Evolved: 3,561,307
H1Z1: 2,472,741
The Forest: 2,169,353

This list certainly isn't exhaustive.

Most of them, if not all, are early access games with less than $60 price tag (afaik).

But yes, PC gamers do love early access survival game. They keep buying them, still searching for that one perfect game.

And...what does talking about sales entail to you besides cheerleading numbers?
There's like 6 threads for people to vent at this point i just think it's pretty funny. Funny everything positive gets spun as cheerleading or defense forces and what not so what exactly are you same people doing all over and over again

If anything, it clearly does. I don't see Hello Games being reprimanded in any way that is even remotely consequential for all the lies people are imagining they've told.

There was no imaginary stuff they said. Look at the video I posted with multiple interviews saying what kind of game to expect. If that changed and it must have, they should have said, "Hey the multiplayer aspect that we wanted is gone." Months before it was out. Not in the same week. Also then right after that acting like it is still in the game.

EGM1966

Because you can do it in Elite: Dangerous!

Yea it's stupid
I thought you couldn't? I've never heard it f a game without "jumps" between some systems and I remain puzzled people thought you'd literally fly from system to system in NMS. It's clearly not how you're going to travel system to see system.

As a software engineer I'm quiet familiar with the realities of working on a long project. If you can't ensure something in the final product you don't announce it and in the case you announced a feature that isn't going to be in the final product for whatever reason you inform your potential clients of it. Lying, both deliberately and not, are a no-go when you sell your product imo. Being an indie dev doesn't free you of the shackles you lay upon yourself.

What's the point of interviews if we can't take anything from it? And for commercial publicity does doing an interview/demo on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this very year count in your eyes?

As a software engineer, you should be able to appreciate how close to the wire non-essential features can be cut even though they're 95% ready, and have been for the past year.

If you shouldn't be talking about features that you're not sure will be in your video game, then you might as well not talk about your game.

Here's what I think on the matter: Consumers have an avenue to be informed about the game before they buy it. Being protected from "hype" before the game releases isn't a right. It's not up to the developer to downplay their own game. (and it's not as if this was anywhere close to a colonial marines job) Being able to buy the game on day one, sight unseen, isn't a right. If you want to walk into purchasing this game completely informed, there are ways for the vast majority of people (especially here on Neogaf) to do that. If you fail to do that, then that's on you.

There was no imaginary stuff they said. Look at the video I posted with multiple interviews saying what kind of game to expect. If that changed and it must have, they should have said, "Hey the multiplayer aspect that we wanted is gone." Months before it was out. Not in the same week. Also then right after that acting like it is still in the game.

When I go to the game's steam page, it says "single player" right there. When I look up "Is No Man's Sky multiplayer?", I get an answer. When I look at the commercials for the game, I don't see it being advertised as a multiplayer game.

From my recollection, Sean was always very coy about whether or not the game had a multiplayer component.

Anyhow, that's the last I'll say on that. I'm very glad the game is doing well financially.

Top Bottom