• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky has the 5th largest peak player count on Steam (by game) since 2012

Klyka

Banned
btw, speaking about GOG user reviews, is it true?

If3f63l.png

The blurry mess that it is, it might as well be, yes.

Can't see technical confirmation anywhere though

Steel

Banned
It's running great now for me after some odd hitching on the first planet every few minutes. Can't say much more than that yet.

I hope there aren't a lot of snap returns of the game, once you get about 10 hours in it gets real good. And let yourself wander.
Great games find a way to become great. I don't pay attention to hype or outrage either way.

GAF/media crapped on Destiny, one of the best experience of the gen
"SFV is trash" my current GOTY
NMS is not what we expected, you can't see each other, the reviews aren't glowing, almost positive I'm going to love it

Meh

Great games find a way to become great. I don't pay attention to hype or outrage either way.

NMS is not what we expected, you can't see each other, the reviews aren't glowing, almost positive I'm going to love it

Meh

We need more of you.

Caayn

As a software engineer, you should be able to appreciate how close to the wire non-essential features can be cut even though they're 95% ready, and have been for the past year.

If you shouldn't be talking about features that you're not sure will be in your video game, then you might as well not talk about your game.

Here's what I think on the matter: Consumers have an avenue to be informed about the game before they buy it. Being protected from "hype" before the game releases isn't a right. It's not up to the developer to downplay their own game. (and it's not as if this was anywhere close to a colonial marines job) Being able to buy the game on day one, sight unseen, isn't a right. If you want to walk into purchasing this game completely informed, there are ways for the vast majority of people (especially here on Neogaf) to do that. If you fail to do that, then that's on you.
Hence why I said "and in the case you announced a feature that isn't going to be in the final product for whatever reason you inform your potential clients of it".

But hey more power to saying everything you want in an interview* because it'll have no repercussions whatsoever. All I get from your posts is that it's okay to say whatever you want as long as you don't put it in a commercial which cause me to drop that as I've no intention of talking to a wall.

*Which you should realize are part of the whole "advertise your product" thingy.

Schlorgan

It's weird about the performance issues. I have an FX-8350, 24 GB of Ram and a GTX 970 and I'm mostly getting between 45-60fps with occasional drops, way better than Arkham Knight ran at launch (granted, I did need to edit a configuration file just to get the thing to run at all).

The PS4 version is already in the yearly top 20 on Amazon US, which is seriously impressive. Best selling product for August, also. Murray was certainly not faking it when he said there were more players than expected. Yesterday I checked Live With PlayStation and the game was the most streamed one, above Black Ops III.

nynt9

Just another jaded human being looking for a rise, dont succumb.

I got a refund. I don't see how it makes me a jaded human when the game runs at sub 10 FPS on my i7 16gb ram dual 980 rig.

That, and the devs misrepresented many features of the game.

btw, speaking about GOG user reviews, is it true?

If3f63l.png

I'm not sure if this is true, but I know I was having some mad motion blur effect that you can't turn off; I'm honestly not sure if a lower resolution could have caused this effect. Yes, I had the resolution set correctly; I noticed that you had to hold down the mouse to get options to change. Coupled with the mouse sensitivity setting not working (I had it set to 0 and it was exactly the same as when I booted up the game), I was getting really dizzy and couldn't continue playing.

Also, I was having weird stuttering and random FPS drops.

Guys, this version is really bad. Believe me, those Steam reviews are more than warranted.

N.Domixis

Banned
This game has done well with people o my friends list. Out of the 30 daily players 28 bought NMS. And these people have various tastes in games.

Someone complaining you can't manually fly between systems haha, seen it all now.

Something like that isnt included because it's total madness, FTL travel fills this void otherwise you'd be doing nothing but pointing your ship in a direction and leaving your computer on for a year or so.

What was the budget for this game? Obviously it's indie level budget yet they decided to jack up the price after the insane hype?

If they've been working on this game full time for four years with 5 people, then that alone is a quarter of a million pounds at minimum wage. You've got rent for office space as well, which is probably pretty substantial. They had that flood as well. That being said though, I doubt they didn't make their budget back day one.

I'm actually really enjoying it. The only game on Steam that really competes with it is Subnautica, and that game's performance is far worse.

I went in thinking I'd play it for an hour and refund it. I've since then passed my 2 hour mark of no return though.

The first 2 hours are dreadful though
Inventory management is killing me.

If they've been working on this game full time for four years with 5 people, then that alone is a quarter of a million pounds at minimum wage. You've got rent for office space as well, which is probably pretty substantial. They had that flood as well. That being said though, I doubt they didn't make their budget back day one.

If we say 15 people at 4 years at an industry typical $10k/month, that would come out to about $7 million dollars. It's probably less than that though since indies frequently make do on less money and we don't know how many people were working on it at each point in time.

~200,000 x ~$60 = $12,000,000

And that's just Steam

I think it's safe to assume they made their budget back

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That's awesome news for the game but tried to play for half an hour and couldn't due to horrid Performence. Going to try again in the morning, hopefully I can get it sorted out. Would hate to refund the game. Might do that and get it on PS4, but I would much rather the performance get fixed so I can play at 4K.

As far as I know, Sony didn't fund any part of the development, they just did a marketing deal for console exclusivity. So that would mean that just under 70% of revenue on the digital copies is going straight to Hello Games (typical digital storefront take is 30% and then you lose a couple percent points from various fees).

urge26

Just like Destiny's my baby, the first 90 minutes in No Man's Sky today tells me I'm going to be playing this game for a long time. Don't buy into the hype or the hate, everything is a matter of opinion.

Grief.exe

As far as I know, Sony didn't fund any part of the development, they just did a marketing deal for console exclusivity.

That's my understanding as well.

Sony likely negotiated for extra percentage of the revenue from the console version as well, may also have some requirements on the ultimate retail price. Especially since Sony was likely funding the manufacture and distribution of the physical copies which significantly increases their investment/risk.

That's my understanding as well.

Sony likely negotiated for extra percentage of the revenue from the console version as well, may also have some requirements on the ultimate retail price. Especially since Sony was likely funding the manufacture and distribution of the physical copies which significantly increases their investment/risk.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took care of QA as well.

Meh

I've stopped reading reviews completely tbh. A lot of the top-reviewed games from last year I have no desire to play at all. This game got it's claws in me though, can't wait to see where it goes from here w updates.

The first 2 hours are dreadful though

For some. But not for many, myself included. My starting planet was full of trees, wind-blown grass & peaceful animals. That's the environment I learned the controls & mechanics in. Others didn't. Which is unfortunate, but that's how this game works.

Zojirushi

The fact that after all these shitty ports over the last couple of years people are still ready to jump in day zero is astounding.

Unknown?

Reading these posts makes me wish there was some intelligent life populating this board.

Its astonishingly stupid to dismiss people's (very valid) complaints about a poor port as "hate".
It's astonishingly stupid to post your opinion as an absolute truth. That's shit posting at its best. You could just insert "I think" into something and not speak for everyone else.

Wasn't transparent about the game's multiplayer functionality (or lack thereof), and an atrocious PC port.

Those numbers are gonna plummet.

He's been saying that there won't be a traditional MP experience at launch since 2014. He even very clearly stated that NMS is not a multiplayer game a couple of days before release. Alongside that, it's neither advertised or otherwise shown to be a MP game (as I said, the steam page very clearly calls it a single player game).

Technical difficulties, sure, I'll give you that. But which PC game doesn't have those these days?

Nzyme32

Holy shit @ 1.2 million Dota 2 players. I know it's f2p but still.

Consider that LoL has concurrent number that match the entire of Steam's concurrent numbers (at least back when Steam was at 7 million ish and LoL did the same). That thing is a monster

Memory

$1,000,000 this game is the next "Battleborn" and has a 95% player drop-rate by next week.

Your thinking Evolve, Battleborn had a very very very weak launch and is very slowly growing in number due to sales/bundles.

Evolve on the other hand initially had a good launch but did not retain the player base past a month. With Stage 2 they are now at a healthy playerbase (PC) but who know for how long.

It's like people have never seen a high profile PC game launch before. I've lost count of the number of games that were unplayable for many people at launch, fixed the issues, and ended up selling millions.

It's probably not helping them any that the game is CPU-intensive, not GPU-intensive so a lot of gamers who have focused on getting the best GPU but ignored their CPU are most likely going to be disappointed with performance, even after the game gets patched.

Top Bottom