• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: RAW E3 FOOTAGE with no commentary (Dat Sound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handy Fake

hechosepoorlyindianajoneslastcrusade.gif

I'm not gonna lie. Watching that video where they are discussing "what do you do" in this game made me frustrated. Its like buddy in the tie was being purposefully ignorant and playing devils advocate just because. I seriously can't even wrap my head around what's so hard to understand what this game is about.

amnesiac

The sound design is awesome in this game. I can't wait to hear how the 65daysofstatic soundtrack will be implemented.

Have you ever even played a Metroid game?

Dude, It's all there.

The isolation, the exploration, the first person view, the bigger focus on exploring a huge (in this case multiple) planet than shooting stuff.

I'm not saying it's copying metroid, just that shares similar themes and should be a suitable game to tide over metroid fans as they anxiously wait for a real metroid game.

greg400

Banned
Dude, It's all there.

The isolation, the exploration, the first person view, the bigger focus on exploring a huge (in this case multiple) planet than shooting stuff.

I'm not saying it's copying metroid, just that shares similar themes and should be a suitable game to tide over metroid fans as they anxiously wait for a real metroid game.

Everything you listed can be used to describe Minecraft. I'm not going to play Minecraft to satiate my Metroid gameplay need.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
it's ok guys, you can put away your "but what do you even do OMG" strawman now, it's already old and tired.

p.s. procedurally generated game compared to metroid #dead

RedSwirl

This video is the first I've heard of being able to enter buildings and actually find loot in those buildings.

QuikNez

It looks (and sounds interesting)... I have to be honest, for me the verdict is still out.

In watching the video, the loneliness and solitude of the game sinks in... again, I appreciate that that may be the point, break-away through exploration.

NMS is not what I initially thought it would be like... which may not be bad.

I wonder if you happen to land on a planet with another player already there and you go ' damn they got a better ship' can you just steal theirs?

I would hope so

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I wonder if you happen to land on a planet with another player already there and you go ' damn they got a better ship' can you just steal theirs?

I would hope so

remember that this is not a co-op game, the chances of seeing other players are very very small

kris.

Banned
Sean Murray, I will give you my firstborn child if this game ends up being as good as I hope it will be.

Doop

I would hope so

The game isn't multiplayer, as far as I know the only online components are little things like seeing the name of the player who discovered the planet you visited, or seeing large changes someone made to a planet, like wiping out a species of animal.

Skux

"I'm not going to interrupt the video"

Puts giant black bar at the bottom of it

And this video is still a bunch of clips. I want to see continuous gameplay. I want to see how you do it, not just what you do.

23qwerty

remember that this is not a co-op game, the chances of seeing other players are very very small

At first anyway, sounds like the goal is to head towards the center of the universe (since you get better items and such the closer to the center you get apparently) where people may eventually congregate

Bsigg12

"I'm not going to interrupt the video"

Puts giant black bar at the bottom of it

And this video is still a bunch of clips. I want to see continuous gameplay. I want to see how you do it, not just what you do.

With how they're not giving any hints on how to craft things, I really don't expect to see much more than clips like this.

Sean Murray, I will give you my firstborn child if this game ends up being as good as I hope it will be.

Yea but towards the center should yield higher player encounters. Or just dicking around with friends on a predetermined planet. Maybe I would like to blow my ship up and take theirs then delete them from my friends list and lose their number.

They said we can encounter other plays btw but the universe is so huge that unless you are near the center its just so very unlikely that you will even see another.

The game isn't multiplayer, as far as I know the only online components are little things like seeing the name of the player who discovered the planet you visited, or seeing large changes someone made to a planet, like wiping out a species of animal.
I thought it was said you might (rarely) see another player's ship but may not even realize it was player controlled?

I would believe, because of that, you could destroy a craft that was human controlled and, if landed at an outpost or near a beacon, stolen.

kyser73

It looks (and sounds interesting)... I have to be honest, for me the verdict is still out.

In watching the video, the loneliness and solitude of the game sinks in... again, I appreciate that that may be the point, break-away through exploration.

NMS is not what I initially thought it would be like... which may not be bad.

Still out on a game that hasn't been released yet.

Well duh.

RMI

Banned
I haven't been picking over every bit of NMS news, but has there been any indication as to what size the planets in this game are, and what kind of variety could be expected across a single planet? Like if you use the earth as an example, there's a pretty vast amount of space and a huge variety of climates. Will each planet in NMS be primarily one setting or is there diversity throughout the planet?

Closest to metroid we'll ever get for now

I mean I guess since there's no Metroid coming EVERY game is as close as we'll ever get to Metroid.

Unicorn

I haven't been picking over every bit of NMS news, but has there been any indication as to what size the planets in this game are, and what kind of variety could be expected across a single planet? Like if you use the earth as an example, there's a pretty vast amount of space and a huge variety of climates. Will each planet in NMS be primarily one setting or is there diversity throughout the planet?

I mean I guess since there's no Metroid coming EVERY game is as close as we'll ever get to Metroid.
They say planet sized planets, but based on what I've seen I'd say the surface area is about what our actual moon is.

I have read from multiple sources that each planet will have a 'dominant biome,' for lack of a better term. Meaning Sean wants gamers to quickly identify that planet as 'the snowy planet' or 'the waterworld planet' or 'the desert planet.'

RMI

Banned
I have read from multiple sources that each planet will have a 'dominant biome,' for lack of a better term. Meaning Sean wants gamers to quickly identify that planet as 'the snowy planet' or 'the waterworld planet' or 'the desert planet.'

Thanks, that was kind of my impression based on what they've shown but I wasn't sure.

The second that an official OT is created for this game and info for those in the "What Do You Do" camp is added, the next person who asks this question SHOULD get a perma-ban...getting really annoying and not even funny anymore. There are numerous videos and pages floating out there in the interwebs with and without Murray answering this question. Even GAF has done somewhat of a good job at trying to appease these people.

Not funny anymore....let's move onto something more substantial and noteworthy to talk about instead of this reused topic...

Some of that stuff gave me strong Proteus vibes in terms of that marriage of weird sounds and blissful exploration, though NMS procedurally turns the dial to 11 for sure. I really, really enjoyed what I saw and heard.

I'm also comfortable with not everything sounding like something my brain can identify.. Or even things I don't find aurally pleasant. I can imagine a creature's size, the planet's gravity, its vocalization mechanism, the atmosphere makeup, etc.. Would all play crucial roles in determining the noises I hear.. And looking at the Atmospheric makeup of some of those planets we've seen Sean land on, I can see shit getting real weird, real fast. God dammit I want this game already.

They said we can encounter other plays btw but the universe is so huge that unless you are near the center its just so very unlikely that you will even see another.

It's probably better to think of encounters more like Journey, if you've played it. You'll have a ton of people playing around the same place (in your example of goofing around closer toward the center) but encounters with others are rare and ephemeral due to players being slipstreamed (for lack of a better word) into each other's games in low numbers. I know people are going to go on and on about it even post-release, but if one of the things you are most looking forward to in a game that looks like NMS is to meet up with friends.... You probably ought to take a pass on this.

With how they're not giving any hints on how to craft things, I really don't expect to see much more than clips like this.

Yeah HG is taking a very minimalistic approach in order to preserve that sense of wonder and exploration of the unknown; something that runs counter to our current environment of 'let's datamine everything so that nothing is a surprise. Gimme all the info naooooooooooo!'. It's bound to be a nightmare for Sony marketing and put off a number of people, but I appreciate their commitment to keeping as much of it under wraps as possible.

Everything you listed can be used to describe Minecraft. I'm not going to play Minecraft to satiate my Metroid gameplay need.

Is minecraft set in space? Can you get in a spaceship and travel to other planets? Each with their diverse ecosystem?

And does the game actually have non blocky lego graphics?

Hence why I said NMS is the "closest"

The second that an official OT is created for this game and info for those in the "What Do You Do" camp is added, the next person who asks this question SHOULD get a perma-ban...getting really annoying and not even funny anymore. There are numerous videos and pages floating out there in the interwebs with and without Murray answering this question. Even GAF has done somewhat of a good job at trying to appease these people.

Not funny anymore....let's move onto something more substantial and noteworthy to talk about instead of this reused topic...

Well instead of complaining about nobody advancing the conversation you could have . . . advanced the conversation :)

One thing that this video showcased that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere is the engine sounds of the ship. It seems as if they're combustion engines, there is a real fuel-being-burned sound coming from them. I'm wondering of those sound effects themselves are procedural, and should you manage to find a ship that has different engines, if the sounds will change? I suppose anything sound-wise is a candidate for being procedural. It's really mind-boggling when you start to think about it. I do recall hearing several different spaceship cannon fire sound effects, and laser/projectile types. Jeff mentioned in the E3 wrap-up Giant Bomb episode that they were able to upgrade their multi-tool so that it fired grenades and ended up making a huge hole in the fucking ground. Blew my mind hearing that.

yes, this soo much

it really adds nothing to the discussion

i hope mods here feel the same way

Is minecraft set in space? Can you get in a spaceship and travel to other planets? Each with their diverse ecosystem?

And does the game actually have non blocky lego graphics?

Hence why I said NMS is the "closest"

Metroid's atmosphere and space-stuff is part of the charm, but mostly it's the exploration in favour of solving environmental puzzles and upgrading yourself in order to access areas you can't get to at earlier parts. That whole idea is Metroid. I get where you're coming from in terms of atmosphere and the feeling of isolation at points, but at a basic level it's not really all that Metroid.

Hahs

Who would've thunk it?

NMS is more intriguing WITH sound. It's like a breath of fresh air actually - I was getting VO fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom