• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: RAW E3 FOOTAGE with no commentary (Dat Sound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The music when you're just zooming through the galaxy is fucking incredible. Intense Mass Effect vibes.

I'm going to explore the galaxy with some Boards of Canada playing in the cockpit. Can't wait.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
This footage is so disappointing because it suggest that the E3 2014 trailer appears to have been target footage with the actual procedural generation not generating anything nearly as interesting as what was shown then. Most everything on the planets looks like fairly basic noise distribution now.

Here's the video from a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

Derp

I wanna fucking tame some of those creatures as pets.

This game is going to make me wants more things than it gives me. I'm worried.

PSOreo

This game is looking better and better each time we see footage. Desperate to actually play it now!
What's everyone's guess/assumption on the release date? I guess since we've not been given one at E3 it's going to be a 2016 release now surely?

AngryMoth

Yeah this is still my most anticipated game.

One thing I hope improves though before launch is the draw distance and the pop in when flying on a planet in your ship

Lingitiz

This game is looking better and better each time we see footage. Desperate to actually play it now!
What's everyone's guess/assumption on the release date? I guess since we've not been given one at E3 it's going to be a 2016 release now surely?

Guessing Nov/Dec this year to time with a Sony marketing push maybe?

PSOreo

One thing I hope improves though before launch is the draw distance and the pop in when flying on a planet in your ship

Think that might be due to the procedural generation no? I would imagine it would be reduced but I wouldn't blame them if it was a little unavoidable given the scale and land mass generation.

Guessing Nov/Dec this year to time with a Sony marketing push maybe?

They probably would have said "Holiday 2015" if that was the case, I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

This footage is so disappointing because it suggest that the E3 2014 trailer appears to have been target footage with the actual procedural generation not generating anything nearly as interesting as what was shown then. Most everything on the planets looks like fairly basic noise distribution now.

Not every planet is going to be as vibrant as the one shown off in that slice we got a year ago-- hell maybe not even 1 in 100 you visit-- but you also aren't going to sell the skeptics with a procedurally generated wasteland. Nothing that I've seen in recent footage or impressions from people that have had hands-on time with NMS leads me to think that Hello Games isn't going to completely deliver on what they are billing the game as.

Not the only one.

Yea but what do you besides explore billions of unique planets with unrecorded wildlife, fly fucking space ships, have space battles with many different factions and completeing missions, upgrade your ship all the while making your way to the center of the universe?

Nothing to do. Really.

Closest to metroid we'll ever get for now

Edit: What I mean by that is the exploration of giant planet and the feeling of isolation.

You should check out Ghost Song and Axiom Verge.

Yea but what do you besides explore billions of unique planets with unrecorded wildlife, fly fucking space ships, have space battles with many different factions and completeing missions, upgrade your ship all the while making your way to the center of the universe?

Nothing to do. Really.

what-have-the-romans.jpg

Walpurgis

Banned
I remember reading something about simulated wind pipes that procedurally generate voices for the creatures but they all sounded rather similar. I hope there is a larger variety of voices because I was really looking forward to that.

Haunted

Here's the video from a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M
Sean clarified that they "condensed" the usual algorithms for the trailer footage, to make sure that there's no lulls and something interesting going on every second of the trailer.

That's not to say that hyperactive and varied places like that won't exist (in fact, the nature of the random distribution of features in the universe will make sure that it will exist, somewhere), but don't expect every planet to be as bustling and populated as the one in the trailer.

Think of the planet in that trailer as a "best-of" menagerie of elements appearing in the game.

Amazing sound design.

The New Yorker article posted above shows they've worked
hard and done some really cool stuff to generate the sounds of the NMS universe.

I need this now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But what do you even blah blah blah!?

I can't wait till this game comes out. I'm going to try and 100% my starting planet.

Lol, have fun never leaving that one place! Seriously, that's gonna take ages. And I don't think each planet will be terrible varied (one side of it will probably look pretty much like the other side), the fun will be in discovering new and different planets.

The audio team has a lot of work to do still to hook up the procedural generation component with the system they've created. For those that didn't read the article (and you should, it's great), NMS's Audio Director brought in The Wolf (OG programmer Sandy White). Sandy digitally modeled vocal chords and other throat organs that we need to produce sound. It's freakin amazing. I mean, just listen to this video, or check out this sample The New Yorker put up on Soundcloud. Those are all generated from Sandy's system. So now Sandy has to plug his system into the procedural generation system and make sure it always creates believable vocalizations.

Having said that, I'm still a bit skeptical given my experiences with Molyneux over the years. I totally love Sean's passion, but I've also seen it before in Molyneux. Seeing the video again made me see details that seemed off, and those little things are what I'm afraid a 10-person team won't be able to address given the scope of the game. For instance, the walking is very floaty, as if your avatar has no weight. The laser blasts on ships look amateurish. So I think in broad strokes it seems stunning, but as a refined experience, I'm cautious they can pull that off.

Yup that's pretty much how I feel right now. The ambition behind the game is pretty fantastic, but I'm remaining mindful of the fact that it is a pretty tiny team behind all of this.

Chev

It's been said time and again that everything becomes weirder and less earth-like as you go further towards the center, and they're deliberately not spoiling the weirder stuff so as to preserve surprise.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I still think the space/planet fade seems weirdly quick and makes the planets look super small. I'm still waiting for a space sim that actually conveys the sheer size of a freaking planet, and how unbelievably huge it is when you get close, but I'm probably fine with NMS not being that game :)

Everything else though? Utterly fantastic. Can't wait to find, name and explore new planets. And find ones already visited.

I hope they fix the foliage not aligning to the terrain properly, so much floating foliage everywhere lol.

Also I never paid attention to it before, but is it just me or does the player seem REALLY short? I wonder if there is a good reason behind that or something...

TheJoRu

Looks (and sounds) cool. One thing I would perhaps think was even better was if they'd taken a realistic route in terms of space and made it so that there are no outside noises. I know letting you hear the sound of you firing or hitting something has its advantages, but I think it would create a quite surreal sense of isolation just being able to hear quiet beeps and noises from within the spaceship. Then, as you are entering a planet's atmosphere, the sounds from the outside begin to crank up.

Haunted

Fuck seriously, so many videos are saying you go to the center of the universe in this game...

If you don't know the difference between a galaxy and the universe please stop making YouTube videos about a space exploration game. It's really bugging the shit out of me lol
But if there's "only" a single galaxy in the game, doesn't the centre of the galaxy also become the centre of the universe?

Moobabe

Looks (and sounds) cool. One thing I would perhaps think was even better was if they'd taken a realistic route in terms of space and made it so that there are no outside noises. I know letting you hear the sound of you firing or hitting something has its advantages, but I think it would create a quite surreal sense of isolation just being able to hear quiet beeps and noises from within the spaceship. Then, as you are entering a planet's atmosphere, the sounds from the outside begin to crank up.

Maybe it's like Shattered Horizon where the noise of your gun is generated by your suit? So here your ship is generating the sound of your weapons and thrusters?

Yeah, it's pretty glaring. I'd love to see some PC footage soon, as that's what I'd buy if the console versions struggle with it and that version doesn't.

Loved the GT vid. Can see both sides of the fence, but I'm firmly in the "don't tell me what to do, I'll figure out my own path" camp!

Steejee

Yup that's pretty much how I feel right now. The ambition behind the game is pretty fantastic, but I'm remaining mindful of the fact that it is a pretty tiny team behind all of this.

Same. I'm hopeful they do pull off their ambition, but NMS will be a total wait and see sort of game for me. I'll buy it at full price as soon as it's on PC if they manage to achieve anything close to the hype level.

Fuck seriously, so many videos are saying you go to the center of the universe in this game...

If you don't know the difference between a galaxy and the universe please stop making YouTube videos about a space exploration game. It's really bugging the shit out of me lol

Education about space science is very bad globally, it's barely taught in schools. Just recently I spoke to someone who didn't know that our Sun was a star. This was the not first occurence, I've come across a few people that didn't know this. I do work related to astronomy and computer science (image processing, etc) and was speaking to university students where this cropped up. The issue of understanding what a galaxy is is another problem. They're very abstract basic concepts that everyone should know.

Haunted

But what if I told you . . . there are multiple galaxies? :O
get outta here!

No but seriously, now I'm actually not sure if there's one galaxy in No Man's Sky, or several. If the goal is to get to the centre of the universe, or the centre of the galaxy (you start in?).

If there were multiple galaxies in No Man's Sky, not everyone would have the same goal, OR you wouldn't be able to explore the whole universe that's in the game OR the complaint in the post I first replied to is moot, so I've been hearing some conflicting information.

Bashtee

Due to it releasing on PC and PS4 at the same time, I will dig it on the PC. It looks like a GPU killer and I agree with the pop ins and draw distance. Might be the new problem this gen.

cackhyena

Have they ever shown any truly lifeless planets? I mean, he said the one he landed on was lifeless at this E3, but he backed into water where there was sea life. I'm curious how creepy, barren, desolate and dangerous it can get weather wise as well.

get outta here!

No but seriously, now I'm actually not sure if there's one galaxy in No Man's Sky, or several. If the goal is to get to the centre of the universe, or the centre of the galaxy (you start in?).

If there were multiple galaxies in No Man's Sky, not everyone would have the same goal, OR you wouldn't be able to explore the whole universe that's in the game OR the complaint in the post I first replied to is moot, so I've been hearing some conflicting information.

They've said that there are multiple galaxies, but were kinda cagey about what it means. I'm almost certain that we'll all be playing in the same galaxy, trying to get to it's center, but after that it's anyone's guess. The original Elite had several galaxies once you get the means of jumping between them. It would be nice though if the players that get to the center are given the choice of influencing the current galaxy with a much more god game like impact (become the dungeon master(s)) or get your own private galaxy that other endgame players can access once they've reached the center of the original galaxy. I doubt that'll happen since it requires more serious infrastructure and ingame modding (as in letting you move sliders to change the galactic environment and then store that seed on their servers) but it might be a nice idea.

One thing I just remembered that I haven't seen them mention recently is that you can do something to a planet once you've explored or exploited it sufficiently, a "choice" as they've said. It might just be connected to the beacon, but it sounded to me like you might be able to influence the state of the planet more dramatically, like permanently removing all Sentinels or killing the planet's ecosystem, that sort of thing.

dalin80

Banned
For instance, the walking is very floaty, as if your avatar has no weight. The laser blasts on ships look amateurish. So I think in broad strokes it seems stunning, but as a refined experience, I'm cautious they can pull that off.

It's probably floaty becuase of the jetpack the player suit has and uses.

All the effects are supposed to look like old Sci-Fi book covers as that is the 'world' this game has created it's universe around. It's why the ships look very old fashioned compared to new sleek designs.

Gurrry

Game looks awesome, I just hope that there is a story line or a quest line that I can do as well as branching off and doing all the cool crazy minecraft-y stuff.

I wanna build a bad ass ship and take it into orbit and destroy an entire planet like Freiza and rule the galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom