• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: RAW E3 FOOTAGE with no commentary (Dat Sound)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was watching this I was thinking: Arent the center of galaxies supermassive black holes? So, theoretically, after voyaging towards the center for hours, all you would get for it is being sucked into a giant black hole?

Hahs

While I was watching this I was thinking: Arent the center of galaxies supermassive black holes? So, theoretically, after voyaging towards the center for hours, all you would get for it is being sucked into a giant black hole?
Considering we know nothing about the end-game, that is an interesting yet boring theory, indeed.

It would cool to hear other theories.

Here's one - It's a paradox - you find out that the universe is a hologram inside a PS4.
q9aeit3RAY1ZS.gif

Which is funny, since plenty of games get free pass for just letting you do one of those things.

Those games have exhibited some sense of greater purpose in their videos at this point before their release. When they haven't, people have questions about what it is that you do in them. It's not 'concern' or anything someone will likely end up painting it as. I've seen other vids and heard the commentary about the main objective of heading toward the center of the universe, but what else goes on besides avoiding/fighting the sentinels or galactic police while taking resources from planets and exchanging that for currency to upgrade your ship? Yes, 'discovering' planets and their varying species of procedurally generated flora/fauna is there, but what else? What is it that makes up the experience after the first hours of finding your footing?

Minecraft had the built-in hook of building and crafting as a necessity and main activity in addition to exploration and combat with the monsters. It also has a loose goal in dealing with hidden strongholds and looting them for rare items. Unless I'm missing something, they haven't yet shown off or discussed the central pillar of what motivates the player in between the point of going to the center of the universe and any moment before that once you've attained interstellar travel in NMS. With MC, there's simply the creative element of building logic-based mechanisms and sourcing their constituent materials while socializing and collaborating and fostering other life as well as building structures that you want to or need to in order to survive or make your area more hospitable. Where there's no one else to play with or against in NMS for the first stretch of its released life, what is it that keeps you going in the meantime? I'm asking the same question many are for a title that is probably due by end of year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The animals don;t have good AI at all. They all just run in front of you and ignore you.

Same things happen in uncharted places in Alaska. When animals are not exposed to humans or another animal, they lack the innate ability of fear of said being. And they will walk right by you like you don't even exist.

And guess what happens if you are the first of your kind to discover said species?

Shoot at them and they will learn behavioral patterns that you are expecting.

Minecraft had the built-in hook of building and crafting as a necessity and main activity in addition to exploration and combat with the monsters. It also has a loose goal in dealing with hidden strongholds and looting them for rare items.

Sounds like this game.

Crom

Same things happen in uncharted places in Alaska. When animals are not exposed to humans or another animal, they lack the innate ability of fear of said being. And they will walk right by you like you don't even exist.

And guess what happens if you are the first of your kind to discover said species?

Shoot at them and they will learn behavioral patterns that you are expecting.

Sounds like this game.

One of them in particular looked like a predator. Maybe it was just a big herbivore?

kyser73

Those games have exhibited some sense of greater purpose in their videos at this point before their release. When they haven't, people have questions about what it is that you do in them. It's not 'concern' or anything someone will likely end up painting it as. I've seen other vids and heard the commentary about the main objective of heading toward the center of the universe, but what else goes on besides avoiding/fighting the sentinels or galactic police while taking resources from planets and exchanging that for currency to upgrade your ship? Yes, 'discovering' planets and their varying species of procedurally generated flora/fauna is there, but what else? What is it that makes up the experience after the first hours of finding your footing?

Minecraft had the built-in hook of building and crafting as a necessity and main activity in addition to exploration and combat with the monsters. It also has a loose goal in dealing with hidden strongholds and looting them for rare items. Unless I'm missing something, they haven't yet shown off or discussed the central pillar of what motivates the player in between the point of going to the center of the universe and any moment before that once you've attained interstellar travel in NMS. With MC, there's simply the creative element of building logic-based mechanisms and sourcing their constituent materials while socializing and collaborating and fostering other life as well as building structures that you want to or need to in order to survive or make your area more hospitable. Where there's no one else to play with or against in NMS for the first stretch of its released life, what is it that keeps you going in the meantime? I'm asking the same question many are for a title that is probably due by end of year.

Trading, fighting and exploration.

You'd be surprised how entertaining it is in a well constructed universe, SP or not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of them in particular looked like a predator. Maybe it was just a big herbivore?

Non human animals are more in tuned with the circle of life than us greedy humans.

They will not hunt for the sake of a trophy or to stock up. They will only hunt when hungry. With that said, anything large, powerful and aggressive - you should stay away from.

But it could have been a non-aggressive species, because in other videos from last year, there were aggressive ones who chased your ass as soon as you got out of yours ship and stepped close.

Gorillas, Elephants, Rhinos, and Hippos are herbivores. Guess which one has the most human fatalities on average in Africa a year?

Hippos kill 2,900 people annually in Africa

Many experts believe that the Hippopotamus is the most dangerous animal in all of Africa. Weighing up to 8,000 pounds, a Hippo can gallop 18 mph and have been known to upset boats for no reason and bite the passengers with their huge, sharp teeth. Not only that, but Hippos are aggressive, unpredictable and have no fear of humans. People die most often when they get between a hippo and deep water or between a mother and her calf.

http://www.oddee.com/item_98002.aspx

Hahs

The animals don;t have good AI at all. They all just run in front of you and ignore you.
The penguins living on the South Pole don't have any reason to fear humans, their only natural predators are seals, sea lions, and bigger water mammalia; if anything they exude a juvenile curiosity towards humans.

Pertaining to NMS, I think this behavior could've been or maybe still will be scripted by the time it goes gold...if not queued up for an update...or maybe they just won't give a damn.

SmartBase

Even with the constant and oddly timed cuts, Youtube compression and a giant channel banner taking up real estate the game still manages to look and sound great.

Trading, fighting and exploration.

You'd be surprised how entertaining it is in a well constructed universe, SP or not.

Well, I can see that, but it would be preferable if they would detail what seems to be missing so far in their showings at this point. The journey will obviously be the reward in such a vast and nearly limitless space to explore, as it is in MC with its own procedural worlds, so keeping things close to the chest seems conspicuous and makes me feel as though they aren't even seriously ready to ship this year as they haven't worked it out yet.

Cool, good to hear. Hopefully the examples from that video are an outlier since all those little things seemed to have about the same weird squeeky sound

The audio team has a lot of work to do still to hook up the procedural generation component with the system they've created. For those that didn't read the article (and you should, it's great), NMS's Audio Director brought in The Wolf (OG programmer Sandy White). Sandy digitally modeled vocal chords and other throat organs that we need to produce sound. It's freakin amazing. I mean, just listen to this video, or check out this sample The New Yorker put up on Soundcloud. Those are all generated from Sandy's system. So now Sandy has to plug his system into the procedural generation system and make sure it always creates believable vocalizations.

Having said that, I'm still a bit skeptical given my experiences with Molyneux over the years. I totally love Sean's passion, but I've also seen it before in Molyneux. Seeing the video again made me see details that seemed off, and those little things are what I'm afraid a 10-person team won't be able to address given the scope of the game. For instance, the walking is very floaty, as if your avatar has no weight. The laser blasts on ships look amateurish. So I think in broad strokes it seems stunning, but as a refined experience, I'm cautious they can pull that off.

fin

Fuck seriously, so many videos are saying you go to the center of the universe in this game...

If you don't know the difference between a galaxy and the universe please stop making YouTube videos about a space exploration game. It's really bugging the shit out of me lol

The Lamp

Game seems too good to be true.

And this will be fully compatible with Oculus CV?

It absolutely seems that way. Don't buy half the bullshit they feed you about infinite worlds and things to do or whatever. Half of that endless stuff they're trying to sell you will be boring, randomly generated crap that probably isn't any fun to explore.

But the game should still be fun, just like Spore was when it tried to sell people on this sort of concept, but just not forever like they might make you think.

But what I do see looks fun to romp around in for a little while.

dalin80

Banned
This game will be really lonely .... Not sure I like that ...

It will really need a 'pilot radio' station or notice/message boards at the space stations. Maybe the multplayer could be done through the stations as well, the player hops into a 'simulator' and can fight against other players in other sims on the other side of the universe.

Animals are kind of dumb, until they learn something should be feared they aren't bothered by it.

It's probably better to think of encounters more like Journey, if you've played it. You'll have a ton of people playing around the same place (in your example of goofing around closer toward the center) but encounters with others are rare and ephemeral due to players being slipstreamed (for lack of a better word) into each other's games in low numbers. I know people are going to go on and on about it even post-release, but if one of the things you are most looking forward to in a game that looks like NMS is to meet up with friends.... You probably ought to take a pass on this.

Its a bit sad but this game still looks fantastic. Mucking around with friends would just make it better.

Like imagine being able to start pirate gangs near the center while preying on unsuspecting explorers.

The animal AI sounds a lot more intelligent than AI like that are in most games tbh. They have a lot of different rules that they follow. Also, their general behavior is procedurally generated to some respect as well. Just because those ones weren't particularly that scared of the player doesn't make them dumb. Some animals will be more easily scared than others, and some will be more hostile. Animals go to find water when they're thirsty, eat when they're hungry (there's a food chain within eco systems), generally feel safer while in packs, etc.

Metroid's atmosphere and space-stuff is part of the charm, but mostly it's the exploration in favour of solving environmental puzzles and upgrading yourself in order to access areas you can't get to at earlier parts. That whole idea is Metroid. I get where you're coming from in terms of atmosphere and the feeling of isolation at points, but at a basic level it's not really all that Metroid.

But I thought Metroid was about the baby.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Would you recommend Starbound? I need something to tide me over until No Man's Sky haha.

Hard to say. I haven't played it very recently and they've added a lot to it. I got a good 30 or something hours out of it before it lost its charm. It's still very much a work in progress and after a while it just runs out of "stuff." The MP is there, you can play with people. But for a couple of weeks in the beginning I loved the hell out of it. I look forward to it when it goes 1.0, but for now I'm content to let it mature more.

Amazing. I really hope it has legit playability and not just a space ship ride to partake in a running sims on different planets. It really has my interest, and I love isolated experiences. I look at all those stars in the universe map and I'm just blown away that you can visit each one of those and they all have an ecosystem. Just crazy.

Sirim

Somehow, this sold me on the game.

It's the first time I really got a sense of how the game's atmosphere feels.

drt

Banned
The guy uploading the videos should learn how to optimize for YouTube, they look awful and even more compressed than they should.

The game looks wonderful as always and I can't wait to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom