• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky releasing June 21, LEs revealed, maybe getting free post launch support

MADGAME

think of the pre-order incentive as delaying the tutorial of building a ship til after you die the 1st time.

That makes sense. The original question before sidetracking into pre-order incentives is how much content is the player forced to replay if you lose a ship. Hours? If so, how many hours to reacquire and rebuild a ship comparable to the one you had?

The Argus

Glad I snapped up a LE copy on Amazon. Can't believe it's already sold out, last time I saw that happen for a LE was with GTA V on last gen. I don't usually get them, but the new Prime deal just made it too good of an offer.

That makes sense. The original question before sidetracking into pre-order incentives is how much content is the player forced to replay if you lose a ship. Hours? If so, how many hours to reacquire and rebuild a ship comparable to the one you had?

i would assume the time to rebuild the ship would depend on how much your gun is upgraded as that allows you to deconstruction better terrain

Kama_1082

Banned
Glad I snapped up a LE copy on Amazon. Can't believe it's already sold out, last time I saw that happen for a LE was with GTA V on last gen. I don't usually get them, but the new Prime deal just made it too good of an offer.

it was up for a good two days. Snagged two of them.

Mathieran

Banned
I cannot wait till this comes out. I wish I could freeze myself and thaw out on June 21st Cartman style!

Edit: just noticed I made member status. Yay!

Has anyone else been unable to preorder the Limited Edition at BestBuy either in store or online? I went in store yesterday and printed out a preorder ticket and they said they couldn't process it. The LE is apparently not active in their system to accept preorders.

RexNovis

Banned
OK what in the actual fuck

g1tRoYQ.png

Thats the equivalent of $170 and its not even the LE!?!? Amazon JP is straight up ripping ppl off. Ugggh

mitchman

Gold Member
If you die on a planet, you’ll find yourself revived back at your ship having lost items you hadn’t stowed and discoveries you hadn’t uploaded. If you die in space, you find yourself revived at the nearest space station, without your ship, items and discoveries.

Seems a bit too harsh. Losing all items, ships etc. will put a lot of people off the game, I doubt they would want that. There will probably be some insurance scheme or some such to mitigate this, I'm guessing.

kyser73

Seems a bit too harsh. Losing all items, ships etc. will put a lot of people off the game, I doubt they would want that. There will probably be some insurance scheme or some such to mitigate this, I'm guessing.

IIRC you don't lose all your items, just the stuff you haven't saved via using a beacon or trading post on a planet or at a space station, which is pretty standard stuff, no?

The one thing I'd really like in this game (that I haven't seen mentioned, to my knowledge) is jetpacks/jump-packs and other land traversal gear.

I have no idea how the actual land exploration feels, but it always seems kind of languid and low to the ground. It'd be cool to have tools to vary that without having to get back in your ship.

Trouble

Banned
The one thing I'd really like in this game (that I haven't seen mentioned, to my knowledge) is jetpacks/jump-packs and other land traversal gear.

I have no idea how the actual land exploration feels, but it always seems kind of languid and low to the ground. It'd be cool to have tools to vary that without having to get back in your ship.

There are definitely jet packs. We've seen them in previews before.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0#t=60s

Has anyone else been unable to preorder the Limited Edition at BestBuy either in store or online? I went in store yesterday and printed out a preorder ticket and they said they couldn't process it. The LE is apparently not active in their system to accept preorders.

As far as I'm aware, that is the case and nothing has gone up there [yet]. That's the venue I'm aiming for in snagging one.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Amazon JP is straight up ripping ppl off. Ugggh

There are quite a few ripoff merchants on amazon Japan. A friend of mine tried to buy an American copy of TLOU:R shortly after release only to see an asking price of ¥20,000. I know you're not in Tokyo, but one of the traders stores in akihabara has a pretty decent import section and they're quite good on price.
And breaking the street date. :)

I used them until my disc drive went kaput and have been digital ever since. I know digital is quite the risk, but I just started limiting myself to games I know I would enjoy or waiting for a sale on psn.

I understand preferring physical copies, but circumstances forced me to say yolo and just go digital. I've seen you post about this game and it's quite obvious that you're very excited for this game, so maybe a digital purchase won't bite you in the ass this time.

If you're not aware, you can buy psn digital cards at cost on amazon.com.

RexNovis

Banned
There are quite a few ripoff merchants on amazon Japan. A friend of mine tried to buy an American copy of TLOU:R shortly after release only to see an asking price of ¥20,000. I know you're not in Tokyo, but one of the traders stores in akihabara has a pretty decent import section and they're quite good on price.
And breaking the street date. :)

I used them until my disc drive went kaput and have been digital ever since. I know digital is quite the risk, but I just started limiting myself to games I know I would enjoy or waiting for a sale on psn.

I understand preferring physical copies, but circumstances forced me to say yolo and just go digital. I've seen you post about this game and it's quite obvious that you're very excited for this game, so maybe a digital purchase won't bite you in the ass this time.

If you're not aware, you can buy psn digital cards at cost on amazon.com.

Wait a minute how do you know I'm not in Tokyo? *suspicious stare*

Normally I buy digital as well but that art book is calling my name. Was hoping there would be a Limited Edition release here.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Someone mashed up Morgan Freeman's narration with No Man's Sky footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wDlhNldnE

Great stuff. If only we had this back in the "What Do You Do?" era.

For some reason, watching that made me envision scenarios where players start running into each other for the first time. It could be hours, days or even months after release, and it's fascinating to think what it could mean for the game world. Imagine being one of the first people to make contact with another.

Maybe you spot someone but they don't notice you, and you can't catch up to them in time. Would you make a Share video and ask around the internet to try and find them? Or would you just let it slide as one of many beautifully fleeting moments within the game...?

It seems NMS isn't "built" to be co-inhabited like EVE or Minecraft, but I think it'll be very special when people begin to work out how to stay in touch, or even form alliances.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Wait a minute how do you know I'm not in Tokyo? *suspicious stare*

Because I praise the sun...

We talked over pm one night back when I joined gaf
. If you are in Tokyo, then you should probably check out that store I told you about. They're good with things like this.

Normally I buy digital as well but that art book is calling my name. Was hoping there would be a Limited Edition release here.

I didn't realize that japan wasn't getting a LE. And that art book does look pretty nice, but my ps4's disc drive is dead, so buying a physical copy would get me an expensive coaster. It's funny how Japan often gets screwed out of these things and/or gets later releases nowadays. When I was growing up in Scotland, it seemed like everything released in Japan first, then north america six months to a year later, then Europe six months to a year after that if at all. Then there was another kick in the balls due to the slow framerate of the pal version

RexNovis

Banned
Because I praise the sun...

We talked over pm one night back when I joined gaf
. If you are in Tokyo, then you should probably check out that store I told you about. They're good with things like this.

Oh yeah. I remember now haha. Carry on then!

I didn't realize that japan wasn't getting a LE. And that art book does look pretty nice, but my ps4's disc drive is dead, so buying a physical copy would get me an expensive coaster. It's funny how Japan often gets screwed out of these things and/or gets later releases nowadays. When I was growing up in Scotland, it seemed like everything released in Japan first, then north america six months to a year later, then Europe six months to a year after that if at all. Then there was another kick in the balls due to the slow framerate of the pal version

Tell me about it man. When I left for Japan I told my friends: "I can ship you guys an early PS4!" and we all know how that turned out -_-

Things have changed man. Japan is the kingdom of handhelds now.

mitchman

Gold Member
IIRC you don't lose all your items, just the stuff you haven't saved via using a beacon or trading post on a planet or at a space station, which is pretty standard stuff, no?

Ok, I was responding to "If you die in space, you find yourself revived at the nearest space station, without your ship, items and discoveries.".

It seemed to suggest you'd lose your ship too. If this ship has taken a while to get to, it'll be a hard blow for many.

MADGAME

Cobra TV just had a long interview with with Benjamin Kratsch, (@TheDudeLino) who attended the event. It's an hour long, so grab a coffee and have a listen :3

Some cool details in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OljPB9eiqg
Any chance of a summary of new details for those of us who don't have an hour at work? :)

Great stuff. If only we had this back in the "What Do You Do?" era.

For some reason, watching that made me envision scenarios where players start running into each other for the first time. It could be hours, days or even months after release, and it's fascinating to think what it could mean for the game world. Imagine being one of the first people to make contact with another.

Maybe you spot someone but they don't notice you, and you can't catch up to them in time. Would you make a Share video and ask around the internet to try and find them? Or would you just let it slide as one of many beautifully fleeting moments within the game...?

It seems NMS isn't "built" to be co-inhabited like EVE or Minecraft, but I think it'll be very special when people begin to work out how to stay in touch, or even form alliances.
I never understood the "what do you do" confusion, even when we first started learning about the game. Discovery and exploration are core themes, and even though I potentially may have some issues with the game, what to do certainly isn't one of them.

Handy Fake

Any chance of a summary of new details for those of us who don't have an hour at work? :)

I never understood the "what do you do" confusion, even when we first started learning about the game. Discovery and exploration are core themes, and even though I potentially may have some issues with the game, what to do certainly isn't one of them.

Reddit thread with pretty much everything mentioned:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT.../put_together_a_bunch_of_quotes_from_the_new/

legacyzero

Banned

So here's what I'm hearing from it. I'm having trouble understanding parts of it because he's German. Love listening to Germans talk :p

-He describes Space Police. They look like police.
-He was surprised at the amount of interiors.
-He talked about animals looking confused and investigating your ship. It's like nothing they've ever seen before.
-He mentioned pissing aliens off by flicking lights on and off.
-He talked about sunsets being legit. Me mentioned one planet's rotation, and it's sunset reminding him of Santa Monica. The sky gets red and gloomy. He said it's beautiful.

Oh crap I just remembered who is behind the soundtrack! Got to get my hands on the OST.

There wont be an 'OST' so-to-speak. All the music is procedural and made on the fly.

HOWEVER, 65DaysOfStatic did say that they are making a direct No Man's Sky album. I just wish they would release a direct version of "Super Moon" that they debuted at the first VGAs. CONSTANTLY stuck in my head.

MADGAME

Thank you for the link, but I didn't see anything new in there we didn't know a few days ago? Nice compilation thread though, bookmarked.

So here's what I'm hearing from it. I'm having trouble understanding parts of it because he's German. Love listening to Germans talk :p

-He talked about animals looking confused and investigating your ship. It's like nothing they've ever seen before.
-He talked about sunsets being legit. Me mentioned one planet's rotation, and it's sunset reminding him of Santa Monica. The sky gets red and gloomy. He said it's beautiful.
Thank you! Did he say if the police are human?

Already have the explorers edition, regular edition and vinyl set preordered but damn I really want that LE also... hell I just want everything on that iam8bit page. Someone stop me. This has potential to make me go out of control spending money like MGSV did.

I wonder if you go to a planet that's been visited before, the animals won't react confused towards your ship

Top Bottom