• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
throwing-money.gif

Please don't let it be iOS

random25

Just having the phrase Final Fantasy VI in it makes me excited. While the chance of it being mobile is high, I won't be against it as long as it's no shady F2P cashgrab and an actual full-retail RPG greatness.

Why?

Just go join Sony Japan and help them with their JRPG projects.

Get Sakaguchi to go with you as well.

This.

Just work in a collaboration between Mistwalker and SCEJ. Uematsu is all over so he is def. not contracted or obligated to only work for Square-Enix so thats not an issue.

Sounds like he just wanted to try and get the old school band back together. A worthy effort.

cafemomo

if you could get that team together again why not just do the FFVII remake, it will sell 100x better than what ever they plan on doing in 2d.

If a VII remake were to occur, you would be losing the "charm" that the original one gives out.
Plus one small wrong move that Square does with the remake, and they will forever be in a negative spotlight (more than they are already)

Interfectum

Original team or not, it wont matter. They aren't going to jump back in the studio and make the RPG everyone is dreaming of. It will most likely be mobile and cater to today's audience.

Chindogg

Ok Nintendo.

You like funding random niche things that makes fans happy?

RIGHT FUCKING HERE. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SHINE.

orioto

Good Art™
I'll be really careful with that. The whole team could be reunited and they could as well do something completely different..

FFVI remains and will remain forever something strange and kinda miraculous. It's pretty hard to know why or who's responsible for it's difference with others ffs..

Thebest exemple of why i'm worried is that Uematsu himself seemingly hates the Sagisu arranged Grand Finale cd, which is exactly as romantic, grandiose, baroque and sad as the original game is, while most recent arrangement of, for example the Tina theme for orchestra makes it something triumphant and heroic. (The Dark World theme is way more in the tone).

Anyway what i mean is, let's be cautious. Sometimes even the creators have a diverging view of their own collective work.

random25

Ok Nintendo.

You like funding random niche things that makes fans happy?

RIGHT FUCKING HERE. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SHINE.

They're pitching it to Square-Enix though. Probably if SE doesn't bite.

On a related note, Tetsuya Takahashi is part of the original FFVI team, so might as well get involved Nintendo. :p

I'd be excited about this if it was possible to charge $20-40 for a mobile app and still make money.

But the reality is any mobile game has gotta be freemium, with all the game-ruining compromises that model requires.

Khrno

On a related note, Tetsuya Takahashi is part of the original FFVI team, so might as well get involved Nintendo. :p

Having Sakaguchi there wouldn't probably help to get SE to fund it, so if this materializes, it will end up on a kickstarter, or funded by Nintendo/Sony.

Would finally get Monolith on another damn 3DS game proper. Sad all they've done was Project X Zone so far. :(

SerTapTap

I'd be excited about this if it was possible to charge $20-40 for a mobile app and still make money.

But the reality is any mobile game has gotta be freemium, with all the game-ruining compromises that model requires.

Squeenix has plenty of $10-$20 games on iOS, granted most are ports

Oregano

Yeah wasn't he responsible for the Magitek Armour walking scene from the intro?

Correct me if I am wrong but Soraya Saga made Edgar and Sabin as well. She doesn't work for Nintendo as far as I know.

Aeana

It blows my mind that this thread is so full of port-begging for a game that doesn't even exist and may not ever exist. Do some people really care more about the platform a game is on than the idea of the game itself?

Anteater

FUCK TAKE ALL MY MONEY

i ain't even mad if it's mobile as long as it has good art, it'll be the first mobile game I'll play

Khrno

It blows my mind that this thread is so full of port-begging for a game that doesn't even exist and may not ever exist. Do some people really care more about the platform a game is on than the idea of the game itself?

If it involves a freemium/f2p model, then the answer is yes.

If it´s a "full game" it doesn´t matter the platform. That´s my main grievance.

Top Bottom