• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

NOEMATSU DUDE YOU ROCK.

But please kick out 2014 Nomura and Kitase. Don't even invite them to that party.

And it's kinda amazing that after all these years of nothing but SHIT, Square-Enix never ran to Sakaguchi crying and trying to get him back no matter what. Nomura, Kitase and Toryama are all shit directors and have proven it tenfold every year of their non-delivery spell, utter shitty directors who can't even priorize results.

Only "director material" Square-Enix has left is Akitoshi Kawazu and Hajime Tabata, and Kawazu seems like he's missing in action since Crystal Bearers.

He's like Steve Jobs of Square-Enix at this point or something ousted while they were still putting products of some quality out, which they quickly stopped doing altogether. And he continued to put out shit I actually enjoyed these past years, it's just a shame he's not always producing something due to lack of funding.

This while Nomura can do gay roadtrips for the masses.

Hell, he did some of the better JRPG's last gen, and on a budget no less - I thought he was cocky whilst he was at Square, now I don't care - not only do I think he's not cocky (or that he's not anymore), but I think he could be cocky for all I care because dude delivers.

Khrno

I'll be excited if it's a high-res 2D game and not just another "retro-look" game.

Yes, I don´t like retro-look sprite games (MM9 for example), there's the tech to make very nice looking 2D games, with sprites or even 3D rendered models on a 2D plain (Vanillaware games).

Biker19

Banned
It blows my mind that this thread is so full of port-begging for a game that doesn't even exist and may not ever exist. Do some people really care more about the platform a game is on than the idea of the game itself?

Yeah, I think that the idea is terrific, but I'm tired of seeing consoles get the short end of the stick in terms of having a possibly great game like this.

They should look at Shovel Knight as a model. Make a 2D RPG with the same approach as SK, like a long lost classic that combined the best of the earlier classics but with some modern sensibilities too. Like how SK used mechanics from Duck Tales, Mega Man, AND Dark Souls! If they can pull off a 2D RPG like that (looking at Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Ys, the Quintet Trilogy, Chrono Trigger, but also throw in some Xenoblade or Monster Hunter), then I would be over the moon.

It blows my mind that this thread is so full of port-begging for a game that doesn't even exist and may not ever exist. Do some people really care more about the platform a game is on than the idea of the game itself?

I don't think that's what people here are are trying to do. Sounds more like they don't like the game play experience of F2P games and hope this game doesn't turn out that way. Some games are better if you can pay more for a complete package.

Randomizer

He'd have to get Hiroyuki Ito out of the janitor's closet.

Have S-E really done this to their most talented designer? If so why? Every game he has been involved with is critically and commercially successful.

I had been hoping he was secretly directing FFXVI.

Khrno

Have S-E really done this to their most talented designer? If so why? Every game he has been involved with is critically and commercially successful.

I had been hoping he was secretly directing FFXVI.

Kitase has always hated the guy, so he buried him with management, and he took over the role of running FF into the ground, I mean producing multiple FF games.

Kitase has always hated the guy, so he buried him with management, and he took over the role of running FF into the ground, I mean producing multiple FF games.
I hate Kitase.

Overated piece of shit.

Not too sure he secretly hates Sakaguchi or not, but it's really a case of dudes that never had the capacity to lead inheriting a boat and drilling holes on it.

random25

Having Sakaguchi there wouldn't probably help to get SE to fund it, so if this materializes, it will end up on a kickstarter, or funded by Nintendo/Sony.

That as well. There's something about Square-Enix and Capcom with burning bridges with their former devs lol. Though I would really love to see the "Squaresoft" dudes back for a "reunion" project with SE bringing them for a collaboration.

Would finally get Monolith on another damn 3DS game proper. Sad all they've done was Project X Zone so far. :(

Well they are not that big of a group, even PXZ is a co-developed game.

Khrno

I hate Kitase.

Overated piece of shit.

Not too sure he secretly hates Sakaguchi or not, but it's really a case of dudes that never had the capacity to lead inheriting a boat and drilling holes on it.

I was talking about Itou, since both directed FFVI I could only say they saw each other as rivals, then both went different ways on their FF games and careers.

But I'm sure he does hate Sakaguchi too, and probably hated Matsuno too, and today he must really hate Yoshida (YoshiP).

Rootbeer

Banned
Why wouldn't they want to do a project with Uematsu? I think there is a good chance something could come of this. But please... not mobile. :(

Vita and 3DS say hello, Uematsu.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Glad to see Uematsu know which Final Fantasy is the best one! Definitely ready to see a new game like this.

Kasper

This would be amazing, but I doubt anything will come of it.

If anything were to get made I hope it's without the Final Fantasy name attached so they have less restrictions put on them perhaps.

krizzx

I'll buy if at a high price.
What+are+ya+sellin+_cb19038850951987b33e87ac04ffff0c.jpg

Well, not really, but I'd love to see it, so long as it isn't exclusive.

No hype at all, since it will end up on mobile anyway.

As long as there is nothing in common with FF6, like no FF6-2 bullshit, let the game rest in peace. That iOS abomination was enough already.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh a possible new 2D Final Fantasy for Squenix eh? I remember how their last attempt went...

LtiPZEl.gif

And dem in-app purchases!

iYey8vyq688M9.gif

caffeware

Banned
UPDATED

Producer
Hironobu Sakaguchi - Available.

Directors
Yoshinori Kitase - FF XIII -
We can do without.
Available.
Hiroyuki Itou - Is a janitor now?
:p
Available.

Main Programmers
Ken Narita - Moved onto GungHo Online Entertainment in 2010. Available?
Kiyoshi Yoshii - Last game was "Blue Dragon Plus" for th DS. So now with Nintendo (1-UP Studio Co) or maybe with Brownies. Not Available?

Graphic Directors
Tetsuya Takahashi - We need Nindendo's permission. Not Available.
Kazuko Shibuya - Mother of Final Fantasy. Seems to be in mobile division now. Available.
Hideo Minaba - He is a freelancer now. Worked in Terra Battle. Available.
Tetsuya Nomura - Currently doing some sketches for KH3. Available?

Music
Nobuo Uematsu - Man of vision. Available.

Image Designer
Yoshitaka Amano - He is a freelancer.
Probably demands big $$$
Available.

Battle Planners
Yasuyuki Hasabe - ???
Akiyoshi Oota - ???

Field Planners
Yoshihiko Maekawa
Keita Etoh
Satoru Tsuji
Hidetoshi Kezuka

Event Planners
Tsuka Fujita
Keisuke Matsuhara

Effect Programmers
Hiroshi Harata
Satoshi Ogata

Battle Programmer
Akihero Yamaguchi - Last credited game FFXIII. Available?

Sound Programmer
Minoru Akao

Effect Graphic Designer
Hirokatsu Sasaki

Field Graphic Designers
Takahara Matsuo - Last credited game FFX. Available?
Yusuke Naora - Art director for FFXV. Available?
Nobuyuki Ikeda - ??? Last credited game was Wild Card for the WSC. Available?
Tomoe Inazawa - ??? Last credited game was Wild Card for the WSC. Available?
Kaori Tanaka - Soraya Saga. Twitter addict. Now with Monolith. Not available. Freelancer. Available.
Takamichi Shibuya - ???
Grouchiness Hamaska - ???
Akiyoshi Masuda - ??? Worked on all Matsuno' s games, Chrono Trigger, Xenogers and Kingdom Hearts.
Wow!
Last credited game Last Remnant. Available?

Monster Graphic Designer
Hitoshi Sasaki - ???

Object Graphic Designer
Kazuhiro Ohkawa- ???

Sound Engineer
Eiji Nakamura - ??? Worked on Xenosaga after leaving Squaresoft. Available?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Make it for 3DS and we're golden.

I was talking about Itou, since both directed FFVI I could only say they saw each other as rivals, then both went different ways on their FF games and careers.
Just realized Itou didn't work on any published game since 2007.

What's this culture of rewarding the non-achievers on S-E? FFIX and FFXII were achievements, and yet, some CEO's went "let's reward the FFVIII, FFX and FFXIII team" instead.

Nothing but shit there.

But I'm sure he does hate Sakaguchi too, and probably hated Matsuno too, and today he must really hate Yoshida (YoshiP).
Yoshida hasn't done much since FFXII too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't understand how Square-Enix didn't do this all last generation. They could easily charge $20-$30 for a 2d epic RPG with significantly lower development costs.

Khrno

Yoshida hasn't done much since FFXII too.

You mean Akihiko? I was talking about Naoki (FFXIV ARR Producer/Director), since he was able to turn around FFXIV and make it into a good successful game.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't like Akihiko, since he mostly worked with Matsuno, Itou and the other Yoshida.

Ken Narita - Last credit as programmer was Final Fantasy VIII. Available?
He moved onto GungHo Online Entertainment in 2010.

Tetsuya Nomura - Currently doing some sketches for KH3. Available?
We don't need his ass and uninspired drawings.

Call Amano or use Kimihiko Fujisaka from Mistwalker
Kaori Tanaka - Soraya Saga. Twitter addict. Now with Monolith. Not available.
She freelances, hasn't been on Monolith payroll since the Xenosaga 2 development phase.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I almost shit my pants with excitement back in 2005 when I heard Nobuo Uematsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and Akira Toriyama were collaborating on an original Xbox 360 JRPG (considering the last time they worked together we got Chrono Trigger).

The result was Blue Dragon, one of the most disappointingly mediocre JRPGs I have ever played.

Rezae

This is the biggest tease in the history of teases. I almost wish I hadn't read it.

Modern Square Enix: Will this sell 5 million copies?

Uematsu: Uh... no, but the production co..

Modern Square Enix: MOBILE!!! We could even break it into chapters!

Uematsu: Ugh.. nevermind.

Good Guy Square Enix: We're just screwing with ya. Ok! Go for it! ..... it's still mobile though. Initially..

Top Bottom