• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel!
With an exception or two (colors lol), how can you say I'm trolling or being facetious? The situation right now is dire. Nintendo is getting what they deserve.

I HAVE a Wii u. It's just really abysmal right now.

MrDaravon

Well, Lego City for starters. If Nintendo markets that well, lots of kids/parents could notice the Wii U. I'm not denying these numbers would be bad if true, but everyone calling it dead is way way too early.

I don't think Lego City will; there's already a bunch of Lego games out, and I don't see parents buying a system for a single game at this point. Also what is completely damning is that Lego appears to have NO FUCKING CO-OP, which is a huge draw for that series, especially among kids. I actually had to explain that to someone at work last week who bought a Wii U for her kids for Christmas, she started complaining about how her kids already fight over "the controller" as-is.

But yes, Lego is a tiny tiny step in the right direction....and then there's nothing else.

55k? Wow.

i4ObpLWPuOTP6.gif

This isn't new is it?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WiiU is what would have happened to the Wii if motion controls hadn't been a huge hit.

I don't think it has anything to do with the industry or the economy.

We'll see. I've seen 3 bad hardware launches in the last 2 years or so. I think there should be some level of worry.

Striek

You may want to compare it to January... 2006...

Ok, neogaf is going batshit crazy, time to leave.

Game Boy Advance 172,000
GameCube 66,000
Nintendo DS 158,000
PlayStation 2 272,000
PlayStation Portable 179,000
Xbox 89,000
Xbox 360 249,000

The comparison is not much better.

Verendus

Banned
Not really educated on sales at all, how many consoles do you guys expect PS4 / 720 to ship in their first three months (say they launch just before black Friday).

Although WiiU isn't flying off the shelves isn't 3 million shipped worldwide inside the first 3 months pretty decent for a console with no killer app, esp in this economy ?.

Cheers.
Wii U may have shipped 3 million inside 3 months, but it'll struggle to get through that shipment at this rate. It'll probably be a few months before another one is sent out.

I expect Orbis will comfortably ship 6 million at least from release to start of the next fiscal year. That's me being conservative. Wait for Sony to confirm a similar expectation. I don't know about the next Xbox. Orbis isn't going to be as expensive as some people may think.

javac

WiiU is what would have happened to the Wii if motion controls hadn't been a huge hit.

I don't think it has anything to do with the industry or the economy.

And that's not a knock on the Wii, even if you want it to be. Just goes to show the genius of the Wii remote concept.

Also your kinda wrong. A lot of the big selling wii games didn't even rely much on the motion controls (NSMB) and still sold crazy numbers.

BadAss2961

I don't believe 55k, but that is good for Wii u. Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.
The saddest part is that this is all true, and Nintendo expected to get away with it.

Holy shit, we all laughed at how bad sony fell from their PS2 days with the PS3 but this looks like it's going to be a bigger disaster. This is not good.

Game-Biz

Even though these are terrible, terrible numbers and also that the Wii U is by far Nintendo's worst home console ever, I still want Iwata to stay as their president. He's one of the very few things I like about this industry.

hongcha

Considering it has no games, nothing really coming for 6 months, a poor price, crap online, no real account system, a poor online store, only comes in two colors, has more expensive multiplats, has dated multiplats, has worse running multiplats, has no good marketing, looks and feels kinda cheap, etc, that's great. I mean considering those few things.

Tellin' it like it is.

MrDaravon

We'll see. I've seen 3 bad hardware launches in the last 2 years or so. I think there should be some level of worry.

And what was in common with all 3 system launches and post launch? No decent number of games people gave a shit about. You'll notice that the 3DS has since remedied that and is doing well. Vita and Wii U haven't done shit to fix their game situation, and here is the result.

Also price drops helped (helped for sure on the 3DS), but games are a bigger factor right now.

Cipherr

Ps3 never sold this low.

Yep, and PS3, no matter how low it sank, always had the promise of receiving multiplats with the 360. No matter how low it went, it was going to have a serviceable library.

That + first party titles and price drops allowed the PS3 to recover. WiiU absolutely will not have that. Its dead in the water, period. This isn't a 3DS situation, there's no come back. There's no 'Nintendogs' and 'Brain Training' coming thats going to rescue this thing. This thing is done.

Around a million each, US, depending on production.

The economy and consumer spending have picked up, this is not an economy thing.

Is that a million each per month for the first three months or a million each for the first three months ?.

Thanks.

Wow looking at 55k compared to past years it's truly laughable, how long do they let this continue before they price cut to $250 Basic / $300 Premium ?.

my friend is looking to buy a Wii U this weekend. Was telling him no chance of a price drop!

Should I be telling him to hold fire now?

serplux

Still need confirmation. Still, Nintendo's in the best position of any of the console makers in this sort of situation. They actually have the properties to support themselves, and we already know quite a few multi-million franchises are coming.

Top Bottom