• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Game4life

Banned
You meant this window?
pmt0HJU.png

Love you, Lara. See you in PS4

Lol

Kyoufu

Did they really try to go after the core market? I think the wiiu tablet was more in line with trying to attract there handheld market with the console market. It really wouldn't make sense for them to release a console with similar specs to last gen if they wanted to attract the core market, Nintendo isn't that stupid, they were banking on the tablet.

Well, not entirely. They thought they could maintain the casual market whilst attracting the core crowd by checking all the boxes. Turns out they failed checking anything.

Thank you for telling me who ZhugeEx is! I will remember to avoid him.

Similar to last month, I would now like to take the opportunity to release some data points from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for November 2015.

Other data points will follow throughout the next few days as, like I said, I am very busy and can only be on NeoGAF for brief periods at this juncture.

Please keep in mind that The NPD Group tracks a 4-week month with a reporting period of 11/01/15 through 11/28/15.

Also, please read the following disclaimer:

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4' took a commanding lead with 1539K units sold throughout the United States according to data from The NPD Group.

Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One,' while still successful, was only up 5% year-over-year with 1296K.

Nintendo's 'Wii U' was far less successful. Wii U Hardware Unit Sales were only up 0.1% from November 2014, flatlining at 240K. Such flatlined demand for Nintendo's Wii U heralds its future demise because of its lackluster performance despite very cheap Black Friday discounts.

Last month's graph can be found here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185308652&postcount=2812

This month's graph:
pjo3m77.png

That's definitely a fair criticism. It will be interesting to see if their current trajectory is similar to that of the 360, or if they have fundamentally changed their philosophy. I suspect they are probably going to be forced to spend more effort on their more idiosyncratic games, even if they don't sell well initially (and Scalebound is not going to sell well) simply because Halo, Gears, and Fable are no longer the tentpoles they once were and they do need something, or a combination of somethings, to eventually replace some of that.

I would hope so but I feel like they totally dropped the ball on RotTR for marketing. I don't know how amenable SE would have been to moving the release date but ever since Fallout 4 was announced for the same date it just feels like MS went "well shit. I guess that's that. Time to walk away".

heidern

WiiU was pretty risky, everything looks foolish when it fails, I thought the wii was foolish cause it was barely more powerful when a GC. Still think it's foolish today cause it's made them miss a gen where third-party franchises took over.

The Wii and DS made $18 billion in profit for the company. The combined profit for SCE and Xbox since 1994 is a fraction of that. Wii was definitely the right decision to make. Wii U was a disaster for a variety of reasons, we'll have to see what they come up with next to be able to judge it.

jrcbandit

I have a hard time believing that the system is ready, and an even harder time believing that Nintendo will have games ready for the new system. Third party support is essential for the console to survive, and anyone who disagrees is just in denial. Nintendo can't keep a steady stream of games on their own.

Nintendo may need a little more time to execute their NX plans, so 2017 will likely be the year they release the system. Some of you are acting as if Nintendo's going to die or something without the new console.

I don't see how third party support is very relevant for a Nintendo console if it is going to be the same games found on PS4 and Xbone. The gamer who only owns a Nintendo console and not one of the other two will be extremely rare and why would they pick the Nintendo version when they will have a much bigger friends list on the Sony or Microsoft platform. The main exceptions would be any third party kid friendly franchise as Nintendo consoles are still viewed as family friendly and some parents might only own it for their young children to play, i.e., They need to launch with Minecraft already available.

As for Tomb Raider, the release date is what killed it, of course exclusivity didn't help. People only purchase so many games and releasing the same day as the 2nd biggest game of the year and not long after CoD is suicide. Should have released in February or March.

firelogic

Was Sony really offered ROtTR? If so could Uncharted scheduled to be released around that time be a reason they declined?

Maybe they declined because they thought it wasn't worth what they needed to pay? Same goes for games like Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall. They've done just fine without them and MS hasn't really reaped any benefits from ponying up cash for exclusivity deals.

StevieP

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;188791589 said:
Yeah, I think there's just a segment of people who learned the Wii's blue ocean lesson way too well, to the extent that they retroactively project that business model onto every successful console. The PS2 wasn't some sort of Wii avant la lettre, it was what the Wii was explicitly setting out not to be.

The Wii was a fad. It looked brilliant while it was selling well, but now that we have a little bit of perspective it should be apparent to everyone that the PS2 business model is a much better strategy for the home console market.

The ps1, ps2, ds and Wii are all fads if you want to look at it the way you do.

The ps2 business model and the ps4 business model are 2 different things. There is nowhere near the breadth of retail software in the pipeline to Reclaim that kind of glory (indies and digital still can't replace that missing retail presence), and the same type of cost reduction still isn't possible due to a lot more being inside a console nowadays (Blu Ray and HD alone are going to remain a steady 70 bucks in the supply chain for the entire life of the platform). Games cost more to make and risk and output is most certainly lower. I highly doubt the mass market moves from their smart devices and computers to renter the traditional market. So how does Sony sell 100m ps4s? Can they expand the amount of young males who want to shoot/stab/drive things/play sports?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm sure folks are doing nothing but sitting around plotting and planning for the demise of franchises they don't care for. It certainly isn't possible for someone to be dismissive of something without obsessing over it, aye?

Come on now... It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to say that you don't care for something and that you don't feel bad if it doesn't do well. Seriously, give me a break.

The fact that anyone spends any time thinking and talking and hating on something they dislike is waste. It shouldn't happen and it doesn't in most cases.
Prime example is how the XBO reveal was so awful that so many people wrote it off, and two years later they still think that it doesn't play used games and it has 24 hour check in.
Why do they think this? Because they spent zero time ( = wasted zero time) on something they wrote off, they didn't read about it, didn't ask about it, nothing.

Javin98

Banned
Thank you for telling me who ZhugeEx is! I will remember to avoid him.

Similar to last month, I would now like to take the opportunity to release some data points from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for November 2015.

Other data points will follow throughout the next few days as, like I said, I am very busy and can only be on NeoGAF for brief periods at this juncture.

Please keep in mind that The NPD Group tracks a 4-week month with a reporting period of 11/01/15 through 11/28/15.

Also, please read the following disclaimer:

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4' took a commanding lead with 1539K units sold throughout the United States according to data from The NPD Group.

Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One,' while still successful, was only up 5% year-over-year with 1296K.

Nintendo's 'Wii U' was far less successful. Wii U Hardware Unit Sales were only up 0.1% from November 2014. Such flatlined demand for Nintendo's Wii U heralds its future demise because of its lackluster performance despite very cheap Black Friday discounts.

Last month's graph can be found here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185308652&postcount=2812

This month's graph:
tVHbLl8.png
Thanks again, George! You're like a blessing from above. ;) We never got any specific figures until last month and you beat cream to his own game twice now when it comes to cooking up the charts. Anyway, the gap is quite a bit bigger than I initially thought. 243K in favour of the PS4? Sony made the right moves this holiday season. I wonder where the PS4 stacks in best Novembers for consoles. 1539K is damn impressive.

kswiston

I'm really impressed with both the PS4 and XB1 this month. Both are much higher than I though they were going to be a month ago.

This generation really has become all about the holiday period as far as hardware is concerned.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I stand by my previous claims Gears 4 will do better than Halo 5, even when comparing the install base now vs when Gears 4 launches.

I'm really impressed with both the PS4 and XB1 this month. Both are much higher than I though they were going to be a month ago.

This generation really has become all about the holiday period as far as hardware is concerned.

Hence why MS want to release their big boys in holiday

Javin98

Banned
So with the PS4 doing 1539K in November, I think we can safely say that a large amount of October's sales were "postponed" to November.

Real Talk here, how the fuck does he get away with posting the literal NPD Group charts here? How is this possible?

I mean I love it, and thank you man, but how is this possible.

Game4life

Banned
The fact that anyone spends any time thinking and talking and hating on something they dislike is waste. It shouldn't happen and it doesn't in most cases.
Prime example is how the XBO reveal was so awful that so many people wrote it off, and two years later they still think that it doesn't play used games and it has 24 hour check in.
Why do they think this? Because they spent zero time ( = wasted zero time) on something they wrote off, they didn't read about it, didn't ask about it, nothing.

What? You are acting as if Amirox was awake all night plotting and thinking of ROTR's failure. He was hoping the market responds unfavourably to the game because it could potentially provide an opportunity for SE to consider an old school TR that he loved. There is nothing wasteful about that. The way this generation has been going I will not be surprised if we see an old school TR launching to great fanfare.

They need to cut that shit out. Did the same with sunset and maybe titanfall? I'm not sure what they're looking for from these companies.

For Sunset Overdrive, Sony wanted to own the rights to the IP, but Insomniac wanted to maintain ownership. That was why it became an XBO exclusive.

For Titanfall, Sony wanted Respawn to make it for the Vita. I kid you not.

kswiston

Thanks George. Kind of strange to see the XB1 and Wii U almost unchanged YOY, whereas the PS4 almost doubles.

Nintendo had Smash last year, and months old games this year. Given that, I think holding steady is great.

Last holiday, PS4 didn't really have much in the way of bundles. With gift cards, you could get a XB1 for under $299 during Black Friday. I don't remember anything much better than $399 with an extra game for PS4.

cameron

Thank you, NDP_Mulcair! The thread is delivering.

So with the PS4 doing 1539K in November, I think we can safely say that a large amount of October's sales were "postponed" to November.

Seems that way. There was talk about how the price cut wasn't doing much last month, but here we are.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I know of two sold Wii U systems, one a friend of mine bought from Best Buy over the Black Friday weekend, and one I bought for my girlfriend...

...though I bought her one of the White Deluxe models from Nintendo, so it doesn't count. :p

Top Bottom